PDA

View Full Version : Gideons draw parents' anger by handing out Bibles after school

Teh One Who Knocks
09-15-2011, 12:45 PM
Tammy Vigil - FOX31 Denver

FORT COLLINS, Colo. – You know those Gideon Bibles you find in hotel rooms? The same group has been handing out Bibles in front of a middle school in Fort Collins, and some parents say they have issue with the way the Gideon representatives were doing it.

“I wasn’t too happy when I heard what they were doing,” says a mother of a seventh grader, who wanted to remain anonymous.

Some parents say Gideon International representatives used bad judgment in handing out the Good Book.

“They shouldn’t be giving it (a bible) to kids. They should go through the parents first,” says the unidentified mom.

It happened on the sidewalk in front of Webber Middle School as classes ended Monday. Students say the representatives not only blocked the sidewalk, but they were taking pictures of students.

One 11-year-old sixth grader wanted one of the pocket-sized New Testament Bibles.

“As I was on my way out, I got in line to get one. My mom was over by the cars. She said, ‘No, don’t get one,’ and I listened to her,” says the boy, whose mother didn’t want him identified.

His mom says religion is a personal issue for kids to talk about with their families--not strangers.

Other parents objected to strangers targeting unsupervised children and giving them gifts--which they say disregards parental authority.

“Strangers approaching middle schoolers. I don’t like it,” says DJ May, the father of a seventh grader. “They need to go across the street or somewhere away from the school.”

But the district says the Gideon representatives have a First Amendment right to be there.

“It’s not a school issue. It’s a community issue. It happened outside the school day and outside the school building, and not on our property but on public property,” says Poudre School District spokesperson Danielle Clark.

The district says the Gideon's proselytizing has never been a problem in the many years they’ve done it.

And some parents say the encounter is a lesson for her kids to learn outside the classroom.

“It is going to happen where ever they go. They are going to be uncomfortable situations they don’t like. At least here, they are safe,” says Sheree Sickler, a mother of two Webber students.

But others think the Gideons should stick to leaving their propaganda in hotel rooms.

A local Gideon representative said he couldn’t speak to us and the corporate office did not return a phone call for a comment.

Some parents also say it was wrong the school did not alert parents that Gideon representatives would be visiting—even though school officials knew they were coming a week in advance.

They say they would have like to have been able to talk to their kids about it.

The district says they will meet with the Gideon representatives next year to talk about the proper way to approach kids.

PorkChopSandwiches
09-15-2011, 02:33 PM
WTF! This is the kind of shit that really pisses me off

Teh One Who Knocks
09-15-2011, 02:39 PM
The district says they will meet with the Gideon representatives next year to talk about the proper way to approach kids.

How about you don't unless their parents are around?

MrsM
09-15-2011, 02:43 PM
It's not the bibles that bugs me - it's strangers approaching my kids.

I would be pissed

PorkChopSandwiches
09-15-2011, 02:54 PM
Its both imo, they are just using the bibles as some excuse. I dont want anyone offering shit to my kids directly on the streets, especially their religious beliefs.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-15-2011, 02:59 PM
Its both imo, they are just using the bibles as some excuse. I dont want anyone offering shit to my kids directly on the streets, especially their religious beliefs.

http://i.imgur.com/UYHLX.jpg

Noilly Pratt
09-15-2011, 02:59 PM
It's not the bibles that bugs me - it's strangers approaching my kids.

I would be pissed

I agree.

Hal-9000
09-15-2011, 04:33 PM
oh relax you disbelievers...they're offering them, not forcing them.

If you don't want a free bible, keep on walking.I'm sure they didn't use strong arm techniques and physically hold people.

It's like that sample food they offer in shopping centers...you can always walk on by...

Loser
09-15-2011, 08:13 PM
The baptist school busses near my area used to pick up kids off the street and take them to church. Parents permission or not. Police did nothing to stop this because the reverend hyles was like a fucking billionaire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Hyles

Read, you'll understand.

Was absolutely ridiculous, but because it was the LARGEST baptist church in the entire country, no one would do anything.

Hal-9000
09-15-2011, 08:17 PM
The baptist school busses near my area used to pick up kids off the street and take them to church. Parents permission or not. Police did nothing to stop this because the reverend hyles was like a fucking billionaire.

Read, you'll understand.

Was absolutely ridiculous, but because it was the LARGEST baptist church in the entire country, no one would do anything.

that...is cultist ^^

Loser
09-15-2011, 08:21 PM
that...is cultist ^^

20,000 weekly followers, with over 100,000 members. No shit eh? :lol:

Hal-9000
09-15-2011, 08:43 PM
plucking them off the street by the busload without permission...

them folks is going to hell :x

JoeyB
09-15-2011, 10:27 PM
oh relax you disbelievers...they're offering them, not forcing them.

If you don't want a free bible, keep on walking.I'm sure they didn't use strong arm techniques and physically hold people.

It's like that sample food they offer in shopping centers...you can always walk on by...

Halwynn speaks wisely.

Read, you'll understand.

that...is cultist ^^

It is cultist, and you'll see a lot of extreme behavior in a variety of Baptist churches.