PDA

View Full Version : Too high to drive? Lawmakers consider pot DUI limits

Teh One Who Knocks
02-21-2011, 11:11 AM
KDVR-TV Channel 31 News (Denver)

DENVER -- State lawmakers are considering setting a blood-test standard for what constitutes driving under the influence of marijuana.

It is illegal in all states to drive while impaired by drugs, but only a few states have set a measurable benchmark for how much marijuana you can have in your system to be charged with a DUI.

The bipartisan proposal from Reps. Claire Levy and Mark Waller would set a limit of 5 nanograms of Tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana.

THC would have to be present within two hours of someone being pulled over to constitute a DUI offense.

Colorado's 5-nanogram proposal would be one of the most liberal in the country. Nevada and Ohio have a 2-nanogram limit.

Some medical marijuana advocates fear they'll be unfairly targeted, but Levy says the bill is about public safety.

samarchepas
02-21-2011, 03:49 PM
So its Illegal in the first place and they put a limit on how much you can take while driving....makes sense....:lol:

Godfather
02-21-2011, 07:48 PM
Don't make fun Sam, we have that here too :lol: Maybe the laws are different in Quebec... they usually are :lol:

It's complicated here because the laws are so under dispute. It's essentially not illegal to be high, just to have a bunch of weed. But they can now pull you over and haul you into the hospital to see if you're high while driving. So I think the limit in essence is 0 where it should be.

I have no idea how they check if you're currently high :-k Because it stays in the urine and hair for days and weeks. And there are problems with it, because it's hard to look at someone and tell if they're high unless they're pretty ripped. Don't think it'll get enforced much.

Even the best stoner can't measure their toxicity in 'nanograms', only gram-crackers :lol:

Hal-9000
02-21-2011, 08:58 PM
5 nanograms allowed in Colorado?

*changes work commute to include passing through Denver*

I agree with GF....since thc stays in your hair, stomach lining, liver cells for extended amounts of time the police will have to come up with a method
to detect the active amounts in the bloodstream only.Kinda like a breathalyzer for alcohol that won't detect booze you drank last New Years...

They were talking at one time about taking an actual blood sample on a roadside stop...that was squashed quickly.

I think you should just get the guy to count backwards from 100 while waving a hot fudge brownie in front of his face :thumbsup: