PDA

View Full Version : Father and daughter burned in alleged electrical theft

Teh One Who Knocks
09-19-2011, 03:06 PM
Los Angeles Times

A father and his teenage daughter were in critical condition after receiving severe burns during an alleged attempt to steal electricity from high-voltage power lines in Inglewood, a police official said Saturday.

L.A. County Fire officials and police responding to an explosion at a power transformer late Friday found the 52-year-old man and his 17-year-old daughter with extensive electric burns, Inglewood Police Lt. Neal Cochran said.

The man had used tools to tap into a live wire, resulting in a chain reaction and causing the transformer to explode, Cochran said. The father and daughter, whose names were not released, were taken to a nearby hospital pending an eventual transfer to a burn unit, he said.

Power lines connected to the transformer, near Hawthorne Boulevard and 101st Street, were temporarily shut off because of the explosion, according to Cochran. The incident occurred around 11:40 p.m. Friday.

A theft investigation was underway, Cochran said.

========================================

If one of them dies, I can change it to a Darwin tag

Softdreamer
09-19-2011, 03:16 PM
If one of them dies, I can change it to a Darwin tag

:tup:

redred
09-19-2011, 03:18 PM
:lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
09-19-2011, 03:27 PM
What do you mean you can't just tap into the high voltage power lines to steal electricity :confused:

deebakes
09-20-2011, 12:22 AM
Always up to no good :nono:

MrsM
09-20-2011, 12:26 AM
Confucius says... A family that steals together, gets burned together

Hugh_Janus
09-23-2011, 08:22 PM
that's nothing.... pikeys 'round here try to pinch the copper cables from live sub-stations :facepalm:

Noilly Pratt
09-23-2011, 08:46 PM
They do that here, too. Supposedly a good moneymaker if you're willing to take the risk.

Now the Police have been staking out the people who give them their payout...even going so far as to pose as metal brokers...so it's declining here thankfully.

Hugh_Janus
09-23-2011, 08:52 PM
is is a good moneymaker.... those fuckers will do almost anything for copper. An old buddy of mine worked for the electricity board and he said the mess they leave there when they die is disgusting.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-23-2011, 08:56 PM
One of the companies in the industrial complex where I work had all their copper wire on the outside of the building stolen about 2 months ago. They took it all and all the wires were hot. Not sure how they managed without getting electrocuted.

Hugh_Janus
09-23-2011, 08:59 PM
axes and shit, man