PDA

View Full Version : Airline bag fees climb as high as $450

Teh One Who Knocks
09-20-2011, 03:50 PM
by Gary Stoller - USA Today

The era of the $400 airline fee has arrived.

For an overweight checked bag weighing 71-100 pounds, Continental Airlines is charging $400 on most international flights, and American Airlines is charging $450 on its Asian flights. United Airlines charges $400 for checking bags weighing 71-99.9 pounds on flights to another continent.

Those are the most expensive fees that airlines charge fliers, a new USA TODAY survey of what 13 U.S. carriers charge for services available to coach passengers has found. The survey also found:

•Fees for a first checked bag, which were nominal when airlines began them four years ago, now go up to $43. Spirit Airlines charges $38 for a domestic flight and $43 for an international flight for the first bag checked in at an airport.

•Fees charged for the same service vary widely. Frontier Airlines charges $50 to change an international ticket, while Delta Air Lines and United charge five times that.

•Most airlines have a charge for booking a “free” frequent-flier award ticket on the phone, and some charge fliers who do the work themselves online. US Airways has the highest “free” ticket booking fees: $55-$90 for a phone reservation and $25-$50 online.

•Spirit Airlines is the only carrier charging for carry-on bags. Spirit fliers pay $30 for notifying the airline online about a carry-on bag, $35 when calling on the telephone and $40 at the airport.

•Some airlines have eliminated discounts for paying a fee online. Continental, Delta, United and US Airways last year offered a $2 or $3 savings for fliers who arranged online to check a bag, but they’re no longer offering the discounts.

The survey — which USA TODAY has done the last four years — seeks to make the fees transparent to fliers, many of whom complain they can’t determine them in advance of a flight or have difficulty comparing them between airlines.

In response to complaints, the Transportation Department imposed a rule last month that requires airlines to disclose all fees for optional services with a prominent link on their websites. They also must disclose bag-fee increases on the home page or through a link on the page.

The airlines say fees keep airfares low, help cover costs and let fliers choose the services they want. American Airlines’ $450 fee for checking bags of 71-100 pounds on Asian flights was established to cover fuel costs and to discourage passengers from checking in heavy bags, spokesman Tim Smith says. The airline doesn’t allow such bags on its Europe and India flights.

redred
09-20-2011, 03:58 PM
we have all the extras and hidden charges over here as well ,one of the main reasons why i now holiday inside the UK :sad2:

Hal-9000
09-20-2011, 04:36 PM
This is BS

Last time I flew, my flight was short....1.5 hours.I looked at my fees online and taxes/fuel surcharges equated to exactly half of the cost

ie 200 for the ticket + 200 various BS charges = 400 dollars.

If it's going to cost me 450 dollars to check a fricken bag, that bag will be full of 100 lbs of cocaine.....

Acid Trip
09-20-2011, 04:38 PM
I went to Jamaica this summer and they wanted to charge me $150 for a bag that was 1 lb over weight. Max was 50 lbs and mine was 51 lbs. Needless to say I just took some clothes out and threw them in my carry on.

I will give Delta a thumbs up because you get two checked bags free for international flights.

PorkChopSandwiches
09-20-2011, 04:39 PM
They are determined to run themselves out of business. They must have picked up the CEO from RIM.

Hal-9000
09-20-2011, 04:44 PM
I may see what they're up to...years ago in the shipping industry there was a standard.Any box could only weigh 65lbs when shipped separately.This was to help all of the freight handlers and couriers so they didn't blow out their backs.(and I'm afraid to say, accommodate women in the industry...)

Now when we advertise for help, we say - must be able to lift 50 lbs...

This tariff seems to discourage anything over 70lbs, which is reasonable in my mind when talking about luggage.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-20-2011, 07:26 PM
At the rate airlines are going, eventually it will be cheaper to box yourself up and ship yourself by UPS of FedEx :wha:

PorkChopSandwiches
09-20-2011, 07:31 PM
At the rate airlines are going, eventually it will be cheaper to box yourself up and ship yourself by UPS of FedEx :wha:

Thats what they want you to do with your luggage, just have it meet you at the hotel.

deebakes
09-21-2011, 01:09 AM
http://i.imgur.com/XPdkD.gif

Loser
09-21-2011, 01:19 AM
Haven't flown since this whole fiasco started, won't ever fly again.

Godfather
09-21-2011, 02:41 AM
I don't get how this entire industry spiraled so out of control.

A competitive capitalist market dictates companies should be driving to improve their services and one-up each other. Now it's just a game to see who can piss-off their paying clients over the most.

Air Canada is going to go on strike here for the second time in a year. Idiots man.

I swear.. start an airline that does it like the good old days - headphones, pillows, a half can of diet coke-cola and standard baggage within reason, all included in competitive prices - and you will rule the skies. People aren't asking for three course meals at 30,000 feet; they just want to be treated a little less like cattle. It's so fucking simple...

DemonGeminiX
09-21-2011, 05:01 AM
Haven't flown since this whole fiasco started, won't ever fly again.

:+1: