PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Young people see online slurs as just joking

Teh One Who Knocks
09-20-2011, 05:12 PM
57 percent say they're "trying to be funny"; Overweight picked on most
By CONNIE CASS, JENNIFER AGIESTA - The Associated Press

WASHINGTON — Is it ever OK to tweet that a girl's a "slut"? How about using an offensive name for gays on Facebook? Or texting a racial slur? Most young people think it's all right when friends are joking around with each other, according to a new poll.

Jaded by the Internet free-for-all, teens and 20-somethings shrug off offensive words and name-calling that would probably appall their parents, teachers or bosses. And an Associated Press-MTV poll shows they don't worry much about whether the things they tap into their cellphones and laptops could reach a wider audience and get them into trouble.

Seventy-one percent say people are more likely to use slurs online or in text messages than in person, and only about half say they are likely to ask someone using such language online to stop.

"On Twitter, everybody's getting hit hard. Nobody really cares about nobody's feelings," said Kervin Browner II, 20, a junior at Oakland University in Rochester, Mich. "You never know how bad it hurts people because they don't say anything."

But young people who use racist or sexist language are probably offending more people than they realize, even in their own age range. The poll of 14- to 24-year-olds shows a significant minority are upset by some pejoratives, especially when they identify with the group being targeted.

"It's so derogatory to women and demeaning, it just makes you feel gross," Lori Pletka, 22, says about "slut" and more vulgar words aimed at women. The Southeast Missouri State University senior said other terms regularly offend her online, too — slurs for black people, Hispanics, and gays or lesbians.

Fifty-five percent of those surveyed say they see people being mean to others on social networking sites such as Facebook and MySpace. And 51 percent encounter discriminatory words or images on those sites.

But they mostly write off the slurs as jokes or attempts to act cool. Fifty-seven percent say "trying to be funny" is a big reason people use discriminatory language online. About half that many say a big reason is that people "really hold hateful feelings about the group."

That may be why even the most inflammatory racist slur in the AP-MTV poll — the "N-word" — didn't rouse a majority of young people. Only 44 percent said they'd be very or extremely offended if they saw someone using it online or in a text message. Thirty-five percent said it wouldn't bother them much, including fully 26 percent who wouldn't be offended at all.

Among African-American youth, however, 60 percent said they would be offended by seeing the N-word used against other people.

Four in 10 young people overall said they encounter that word being used against other people, with half of those seeing it often.

Other derogatory expressions are more common and accepted. Majorities see "slut" and "fag" used against others, and only about a third consider them seriously offensive.

But 41 percent of women deem "slut" deeply offensive (jumping to 65 percent if it's used against them specifically), compared with only 28 percent of men. And 39 percent of those who are gay or know someone who is gay are seriously offended by the use of "fag," compared with 23 percent of all others.

Demeaning something with "that's so gay" is so common that two-thirds of young people see it used, and the majority aren't offended at all, despite a public service ad campaign that tried to stamp out the anti-gay slang.

A similar effort to persuade kids not to use "retard" hasn't hit home with half of those surveyed, who don't find the word even moderately bothersome. Twenty-seven percent are seriously offended, however.

Some teens just text the way they talk. Calling each other "gay" and "retarded" is routine in high school, says Robert Leader, 17, a senior in Voorhees, N.J. So teens text it, too.

But constantly seeing ugly words on their electronic screens may have a coarsening effect. "It's caused people to loosen their boundaries on what's not acceptable," Leader said.

What group gets picked on the most? Those who are overweight.

And slurs against the overweight are more likely to be considered intentionally hurtful than slights against others; 47 percent say these comments are meant to sting.

Muslims and gays also are seen as targets of mean-spiritedness.

In contrast, only a third say discriminatory words about blacks are most often intended as hurtful, while two-thirds think they are mostly jokes. And 75 percent think slurs against women are generally meant to be funny.

It's OK to use discriminatory language within their own circle of friends, 54 percent of young people say, because "I know we don't mean it." But if the question is put in a wider context, they lean the other way, saying 51-46 that such language is always wrong.

Yet four out of 10 young people have given little or no thought to the ease with which their electronic messages could be passed to people they didn't expect to see them; less than a quarter have thought about it a lot.

Two-thirds haven't considered that what they type could get them in trouble with their parents or their school. But it happens.

A 13-year-old Concord, N.H., girl was suspended from school for posting on Facebook that she wished Osama bin Laden had killed her math teacher. The University of Texas Longhorns dismissed a sophomore football player for his racial slam against Barack Obama on Facebook after the 2008 presidential election. And a Harvard law student's email to friends, suggesting that blacks might be intellectually inferior, was forwarded across the Internet, prompting the law school dean to publicly denounce it.

"People have that false sense of security that they can say whatever they want online," said Pletka of Cape Girardeau, Mo. "Anything that you put into print can be used."

The AP-MTV poll was conducted Aug. 18-31 and involved online interviews with 1,355 people ages 14-24 nationwide. The margin of sampling error is plus or minus 3.8 percentage points.

The poll is part of an MTV campaign, "A Thin Line," aiming to stop the spread of digital abuse.

The survey was conducted by Knowledge Networks, which used traditional telephone and mail sampling methods to randomly recruit respondents. People selected who had no Internet access were given it for free.

PorkChopSandwiches
09-20-2011, 05:13 PM
Everyone needs to just relax.

Loser
09-20-2011, 05:54 PM
This political correctness bullshit needs to stop, seriously.

I've been a belligerent bastard my entire fucking life, way before I ever found out about the internet, and it isn't going to stop any time soon.

Next thing you know, we're gonna end up with those little fucking swear machines from Demolition man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrWcEGDXOUg

PorkChopSandwiches
09-20-2011, 06:02 PM
This political correctness bullshit needs to stop, seriously.

I've been a belligerent bastard my entire fucking life, way before I ever found out about the internet, and it isn't going to stop any time soon.

Exactly

Hal-9000
09-20-2011, 06:03 PM
idk...I agree with a lot of this...

I saw a Facebook group page created because one girl hated another.Hated girl's name was in the title along with words like slut and whore throughout and some pics of her.
Almost all of the text was derogatory terms aimed at the girl...

after reading it I got the sense that the girl who created it was very brave...when the other girl wasn't there to defend herself against the slurs :rolleyes:
Keyboards do make you braver it's true.

Loser
09-20-2011, 06:11 PM
idk...I agree with a lot of this...

I saw a Facebook group page created because one girl hated another.Hated girl's name was in the title along with words like slut and whore throughout and some pics of her.
Almost all of the text was derogatory terms aimed at the girl...

after reading it I got the sense that the girl who created it was very brave...when the other girl wasn't there to defend herself against the slurs :rolleyes:
Keyboards do make you braver it's true.

Hal, normally I agree with ya, but don't confuse cyber bullying with being belligerent.

Me jokingly calling someone an asshole is completely different from putting some rant post on facebook or twitter.

There's a big difference between, "Hi asshole", and "I hate that asshole and he should die."

Hal-9000
09-20-2011, 06:33 PM
Oh for sure but what I was taking about is the same thing too....that girl wouldn't have stood there and said the same things.She obviously didn't because she took the time to make the page.

Keyboards make you brave... and in turn, you use words in text that you wouldn't in normal face to face conversations.The N word, fag etc...

ie Lots of people take shots at me here calling me the ghey names (which is in jest and I understand and welcome it :lol:) but I don't think too many would stand in front of me and call me a fag to my face...

DemonGeminiX
09-20-2011, 06:40 PM
... but I don't think too many would stand in front of me and call me a fag to my face...

:-k

Would you hit a guy in a wheelchair wearing glasses?

Hal-9000
09-20-2011, 06:42 PM
:lol: I was waiting and expected a more robust response on that post....

Hell yeah..I don't discriminate.You could be in a chair, wearing glasses, look like Lance and I'd still take a swing if you pissed me off :lol:

DemonGeminiX
09-20-2011, 06:44 PM
:lol: I was waiting and expected a more robust response on that post....

Hell yeah..I don't discriminate.You could be in a chair, wearing glasses, look like Lance and I'd still take a swing if you pissed me off :lol:

:sad2:

Damn.

*Cancels trip to Canada*

Acid Trip
09-20-2011, 06:45 PM
You guys are all assholes. That's why I like this site :mrgreen:

Hal-9000
09-20-2011, 06:46 PM
:sad2:

Damn.

*Cancels trip to Canada*

You'd roll on up here just to approach me in person and then say - fag?

at least I'll know who you are at that point :rofl:

Hal-9000
09-20-2011, 06:49 PM
You guys are all assholes. That's why I like this site :mrgreen:

I went to the online dictionary site and was amazed that they had the C word listed.Even more interesting is the perception of the word throughout the world.
The description gives some history and says that Brits use it in everyday speech, where other countries still find it vulgar and disgusting :lol:

and then I hit the little speaker icon and listened to a nice lady say it phonetically for my edification...57 times :face:

DemonGeminiX
09-20-2011, 06:53 PM
You'd roll on up here just to approach me in person and then say - fag?

at least I'll know who you are at that point :rofl:

:dance:

Muddy
09-20-2011, 06:56 PM

I wouldn't.. I take a fair amount of shit from people for the sake of keeping the peace.. Sometimes it truly isn't worth it..

Griffin
09-20-2011, 06:58 PM
bunch of fucking rope suckers.

fricnjay
This article is so gay its retarded.

But seriously, what ever happened to sticks and stones. We all know bullies are just insecure people who try to compensate and get attention the only way they probably know how. People are going to hate and I think its much more healthy and realistic if we try to teach kids to deal with hate then try to stop people from hating. We can not expect everyone to like us. We all are going to make enemies and learning how to deal with them is a part of life. I mean really, what kind of example to we make if we make a federal case out every little discriminating remark made about us or someone we care about. OK its OK if someone says something mean to you we will make the government fix it? Oh yea thats the high road. :roll:

Hal-9000
I wouldn't.. I take a fair amount of shit from people for the sake of keeping the peace.. Sometimes it truly isn't worth it..

You wouldn't what? Take a swing at a guy in a chair or call me a fag in person? :lol:

Hal-9000
09-20-2011, 07:03 PM

But seriously, what ever happened to sticks and stones. We all know bullies are just insecure people who try to compensate and get attention the only way they probably know how. People are going to hate and I think its much more healthy and realistic if we try to teach kids to deal with hate then try to stop people from hating. We can not expect everyone to like us. We all are going to make enemies and learning how to deal with them is a part of life. I mean really, what kind of example to we make if we make a federal case out every little discriminating remark made about us or someone we care about. OK its OK if someone says something mean to you we will make the government fix it? Oh yea thats the high road. :roll:

I think tho Jay that the article is talking about a more subtle side of life....the ease in which kids (and others) use slurs online now.Not sure if it has much to do with bullying, moreso to do with using words in text that we wouldn't typically use in conversation in public...

I see it as becoming grammatically jaded..."I call my friends nigger all the time on MSN, cuz dey is my crew" and that same kid wouldn't use the term in a school classroom for example because part of him knows that it's offensive.

Acid Trip
09-20-2011, 07:04 PM

Bah, I knew someone was going to throw logic into the argument.

Muddy
09-20-2011, 07:05 PM
You wouldn't what? Take a swing at a guy in a chair or call me a fag in person? :lol:

I typically wont swing on someone unless they really really do something bad.. Now I may fire some verbal shots back, and if things escalate that's a different story... I would clothesline DGX as hard as I could... :lol: kidding..

DemonGeminiX
09-20-2011, 07:07 PM
*Crosses Virginia off the travel list*

:|

I still have Denver...

Teh One Who Knocks
09-20-2011, 07:09 PM
I wouldn't verbally argue or take a swing...I'm well armed and would just shoot the fucker who insults me right in the head :)

Hal-9000
09-20-2011, 07:10 PM
I typically wont swing on someone unless they really really do something bad.. Now I may fire some verbal shots back, and if things escalate that's a different story... I would clothesline DGX as hard as I could... :lol: kidding..

Yeah me too.I'll try to stop a fight and I'll try to embarrass someone throwing at me..but usually I won't hit someone unless they're hurting someone else.
last fight I had was in the park behind my house and some drunk kid was smacking his g/f on a bench 30 yards from my back step...

wasn't much of a fight...but I couldn't just sit there listening and watching that crap

DemonGeminiX
09-20-2011, 07:12 PM
I wouldn't verbally argue or take a swing...I'm well armed and would just shoot the fucker who insults me right in the head :)

I figured you'd say something like that. I can just see the scenario...

"Officer, I know he's in a wheelchair... no I've never seen him before in my entire life... you don't understand... he called me a fag".

Acid Trip
09-20-2011, 07:12 PM

Amen to that. Conceal and carry for the win!

Teh One Who Knocks
09-20-2011, 07:13 PM
I figured you'd say something like that, I can just see the scenario...

"Officer, I know he's in a wheelchair... no I've never seen him before in my entire life... you don't understand... he called me a fag".

You broke into my apartment...it was dark...I shoot first and ask questions later ;)

Hal-9000
09-20-2011, 07:13 PM

YO!

you ugly and gots a small penix! :x

*waits*

DemonGeminiX
09-20-2011, 07:14 PM
You broke into my apartment...it was dark...I shoot first and ask questions later ;)

:nono:

I didn't break into your apartment. I rolled up on you when you were out drinking.

[-(

Hal-9000
09-20-2011, 07:14 PM
I figured you'd say something like that. I can just see the scenario...

He was a turd-burglar officer!

:lol:

Hal-9000
09-20-2011, 07:15 PM
I agree with this, well said hal :thumbsup:

I think tho Jay that the article is talking about a more subtle side of life....the ease in which kids (and others) use slurs online now.Not sure if it has much to do with bullying, moreso to do with using words in text that we wouldn't typically use in conversation in public...

I see it as becoming grammatically jaded..."I call my friends nigger all the time on MSN, cuz dey is my crew" and that same kid wouldn't use the term in a school classroom for example because part of him knows that it's offensive.

fricnjay
09-20-2011, 07:16 PM
My point is the only power words have over us is the power we assign to them. They are just words, if I want to call my friends nigga then I have the right to do so, I life in America and I have a protected right of free speech. I hear black kids and adults all the time calling both their black friends and their white friends nigga all the time so why cant I do it. If you make the distinction that this race can but this one cant you are violating my right to free speech and your flat out a racist. I have a gay friend and at times I have heard him say and I quote "even I think thats gay". I honestly think its funny because white people have been deemed "cracker" white bread" "honky" and guess what as a group of people we said we didnt care...now how often do you hear those terms? They only continue when the people they are made about give them power.

Acid Trip
Hal, did you just agree with yourself in the 3rd person?

Muddy
Amen to that. Conceal and carry for the win!

Yeah right.. See you on D block for the rest of your life.. :wave:

Loser
Oh for sure but what I was taking about is the same thing too....that girl wouldn't have stood there and said the same things.She obviously didn't because she took the time to make the page.

Keyboards make you brave... and in turn, you use words in text that you wouldn't in normal face to face conversations.The N word, fag etc...

ie Lots of people take shots at me here calling me the ghey names (which is in jest and I understand and welcome it :lol:) but I don't think too many would stand in front of me and call me a fag to my face...

Erm not true, well maybe for some panzies that can't handle themselves, but if I think someones an asshole, I'll call them out on it right to their face. Don't give a shit who it is. Wouldn't be the first time I got into a fight, been stabbed, or shot for that matter.

Now, with that being said, I do agree with you that the internet has given people balls, but this goes much deeper then just the internet. Guns, knives, swords, bats, clubs, etc.... have been giving people delusions of grandeur for a long time before the internet was invented.

But it always boils down to one thing really, a pussy with a gun is still a pussy. I.E. a pussy on the internet is still a pussy.*not talking porn here ya perverts :lol:*

Acid Trip
09-20-2011, 07:17 PM
Yeah right.. See you on D block for the rest of your life.. :wave:

Please. It was a joke to shoot someone in the face who insults you. Sarcasm > Muddy :sad:

Muddy
09-20-2011, 07:20 PM
Please. It was a joke to shoot someone in the face who insults you. Sarcasm > Muddy :sad:

I know, I know... But really I have had people say that to me before (I did jiu-jitsu back in the day) They'd say "you try and use that on me and I'll just shoot you" So I'd usually immediately turn around and grab them real quick, and say "OK,shoot motherfucker..*grin*"

Joebob034
09-20-2011, 07:23 PM
Everyone needs to just relax.

stop being such a retard slut gay.............fag

Loser
09-20-2011, 07:28 PM
http://i56.tinypic.com/sls37m.gif

Hal-9000
09-20-2011, 07:29 PM
Hal, did you just agree with yourself in the 3rd person?

hal doesn't play that shit [-(

Hal-9000
09-20-2011, 07:30 PM
Erm not true, well maybe for some panzies that can't handle themselves, but if I think someones an asshole, I'll call them out on it right to their face. Don't give a shit who it is. Wouldn't be the first time I got into a fight, been stabbed, or shot for that matter.

Now, with that being said, I do agree with you that the internet has given people balls, but this goes much deeper then just the internet. Guns, knives, swords, bats, clubs, etc.... have been giving people delusions of grandeur for a long time before the internet was invented.

But it always boils down to one thing really, a pussy with a gun is still a pussy. I.E. a pussy on the internet is still a pussy.*not talking porn here ya perverts :lol:*

erm totally true! :x

check out hal's post, he's got it :thumbsup:

PorkChopSandwiches
09-20-2011, 07:30 PM
stop being such a retard slut gay.............fag

Muddy
09-20-2011, 07:31 PM
check out hal's post, he's got it :thumbsup:

I only read my own posts.. [-(

Hal-9000
09-20-2011, 07:42 PM
My point is the only power words have over us is the power we assign to them. They are just words, if I want to call my friends nigga then I have the right to do so, I life in America and I have a protected right of free speech. I hear black kids and adults all the time calling both their black friends and their white friends nigga all the time so why cant I do it. If you make the distinction that this race can but this one cant you are violating my right to free speech and your flat out a racist. I have a gay friend and at times I have heard him say and I quote "even I think thats gay". I honestly think its funny because white people have been deemed "cracker" white bread" "honky" and guess what as a group of people we said we didnt care...now how often do you hear those terms? They only continue when the people they are made about give them power.

I know what you're saying about power words but couldn't disagree more....:lol:

By your logic I can call your wife a cunt to her face, just because I don't believe the word has a bad connotation? Trust me, you wouldn't let that go on for too long...but the Brits use it as a descriptive term so it must be ok, eh?

Same thing with nigger - it's a derogatory term specifically addressed to one race, when it was coined over 300 years ago.Just because you think it's ok to call your friends nigga or it's an 'ok' word in your vocabulary....does not mean it's right to use it.In that case, only you think it's right in your context.

I work with a black guy and we're friends.He doesn't use or appreciate the term so us other 9 employees don't call him that.Even in the form of - Hey nigga, what's happening today? :) Or a better example - Oh Mister Truck driver I'll get you some help, we'll let the nigger help you :)

Again, you calling your friends nigga is no better, you're still perpetrating the offending term.

Hal-9000
09-20-2011, 07:43 PM
I only read my own posts.. [-(

I know you didn't read it...the post contained over 2 lines

Muddy
09-20-2011, 07:44 PM
It has to be something really really special and grab me within those first 5 words for me to keep going... :lol:

Hal-9000
09-20-2011, 07:52 PM
Jay's gonna ban me in a second...less than two lines guaranteed :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
09-20-2011, 07:56 PM
http://josefbrandenburg.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/pain-in-the-ass.jpg

Hal-9000
09-20-2011, 07:58 PM
I got the next pic where she's sniffing/licking her fingers :dance:

PorkChopSandwiches
09-20-2011, 07:59 PM
tastes like chicken

Hal-9000
09-20-2011, 08:00 PM
don't kid yourself....tastes like ASS! :x

PorkChopSandwiches
09-20-2011, 08:03 PM
http://bitsandpieces.us/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/imagesgrilled-chicken-ass.jpg

Hal-9000
09-20-2011, 08:04 PM
I should take lunch or at least look like I'm taking lunch ffs :lol:

distracting bastards..

Hal-9000
09-20-2011, 08:04 PM
http://bitsandpieces.us/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/imagesgrilled-chicken-ass.jpg

that's some nice ass right there :tup:

Muddy
09-20-2011, 08:11 PM
Alright, yall can close this thread now.. It's officially dead... :lol:

Loser
09-20-2011, 08:16 PM
Not yet, porky hasnt posted his corn pic about the chick with her hand in her ass up to her wrist :lol:

Muddy
09-20-2011, 08:17 PM

fricnjay
09-20-2011, 08:18 PM
Jay's gonna ban me in a second...less than two lines guaranteed :lol:

Not at all man. Its your opinion and you are totally entitled to it. For me I just believe that a person who calls other people names is week and pathetic and the person who takes offense is not much better. If you want to call me a cunt or my wife a cunt its cool, but I dont have to agree or listen to you. I know myself pretty well and my wife better and I stack more weight in my opinion of her and myself. People take things to personal, unless someone is threatening some type of physical harm or consequence I really dont care what people might say. And its been my personal observation that the world would be a lot better place if people were more like that. Even from a more "funny" perspective. When someone says thats gay or thats retarded does anyone really think they mean its homosexually or physically or mentally handicapped? No its just a term, yea it may be a unfortunate coincidence what the real meaning behind the term is but vernacular is all backwards; bad means good, sick means awesome, who gives a shit? I say chill out live your own life and learn to be the bigger person.

Loser
09-20-2011, 08:19 PM
FYI Don't google image search "Ass corn" :oops:

PorkChopSandwiches
09-20-2011, 08:20 PM
Not yet, porky hasnt posted his corn pic about the chick with her hand in her ass up to her wrist :lol:

http://i53.tinypic.com/2duh1zr.jpg

Loser
09-20-2011, 08:20 PM
ANNNDDDD We're done! :wave:

PorkChopSandwiches
09-20-2011, 08:21 PM
buuuu bi

Muddy
09-20-2011, 08:21 PM
http://cache.ohinternet.com/images/4/45/Dat_ass.jpg

Loser
09-20-2011, 08:24 PM
Need to shop a cob of corn in there somewhere, and porky has a new sig :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
09-20-2011, 08:59 PM
Not at all man. Its your opinion and you are totally entitled to it. For me I just believe that a person who calls other people names is week and pathetic and the person who takes offense is not much better. If you want to call me a cunt or my wife a cunt its cool, but I dont have to agree or listen to you. I know myself pretty well and my wife better and I stack more weight in my opinion of her and myself. People take things to personal, unless someone is threatening some type of physical harm or consequence I really dont care what people might say. And its been my personal observation that the world would be a lot better place if people were more like that. Even from a more "funny" perspective. When someone says thats gay or thats retarded does anyone really think they mean its homosexually or physically or mentally handicapped? No its just a term, yea it may be a unfortunate coincidence what the real meaning behind the term is but vernacular is all backwards; bad means good, sick means awesome, who gives a shit? I say chill out live your own life and learn to be the bigger person.

:loser:

Hal-9000
09-20-2011, 09:14 PM

I'm not sure that getting offended by a word is weak...I guess this is where you and I have to draw the line.I still think that some words are offensive and always will be, until we remove them from our vocabulary.It's nice to take the higher ground and say that words like nigger, cunt and retard don't offend you....I wish I could do the same.

Words are our only method of communication as a species (until we develop telepathy, which is still words in your mind) and I believe that we can do better.I'm not the most sterling example of this because I use the F word at work like an adjective and I swear in posts here.If I ever wrote a letter to my Mother however and said - Hey ma, how the fuck are you?

...I know it would be improper and offend her.

Respectfully,
cracker-9000

Griffin
09-20-2011, 09:22 PM
She wouldn't even bother switching you, she would just shove it up your ass.

PorkChopSandwiches
09-20-2011, 09:59 PM
I'm not sure that getting offended by a word is weak...I guess this is where you and I have to draw the line.I still think that some words are offensive and always will be, until we remove them from our vocabulary.It's nice to take the higher ground and say that words like nigger, cunt and retard don't offend you....I wish I could do the same.

Words are our only method of communication as a species (until we develop telepathy, which is still words in your mind) and I believe that we can do better.I'm not the most sterling example of this because I use the F word at work like an adjective and I swear in posts here.If I ever wrote a letter to my Mother however and said - Hey ma, how the fuck are you?

Respectfully,
cracker-9000

*unplugs Hal*

j/k *reboots*

Hal-9000
09-20-2011, 10:00 PM
psssssst..... Jay took the time to spell and make that post, can't leave artistry like that hanging :lol:

besides...it's an interesting topic and I want to hear his take

PorkChopSandwiches
09-20-2011, 10:04 PM
psssssst..... Jay took the time to spell and make that post,

Someone must have hacked his account

Loser
09-20-2011, 10:21 PM
A words meaning doesn't bother me as much as the context it's used it.

For instance I'll throw out a couple of examples.

Dude, don't be retarded, you're gonna fall and hurt yourself. VS. He's a fucking retard. *pertaining to a special needs kid*

Bwuahahahaha, look at that stupid cunt, he fell on his head. VS. Don't be such a fucking cunt. *actually pertaining to a women*

As for the word nigger/nigga/nigguh/etc... I've never said this word unless I meant to piss someone off and already intended to stomp the motherfucker out.

Either way, it all comes down to the context in which the word is used.

The flip side is, there's assholes, like me, who just don't give a flying fuck ;)

-edit-

I mean honestly now, This is coming from a guy who willingly calls himself LOSER on the internet :lmao:

Teh One Who Knocks
09-20-2011, 10:23 PM
psssssst..... Jay took the time to spell and make that post, can't leave artistry like that hanging :lol:

:kissass:

Hal-9000
09-20-2011, 10:34 PM
I still contend, in conjunction with the gist of the article...
Kids/people are becoming too jaded with certain terms while texting.It's not a huge leap to say that those same people would not speak that way in conversation face to face.

The faceless nature of the internet and texting in general has made us this way.

Loser
09-20-2011, 10:37 PM
I still contend, in conjunction with the gist of the article...
Kids/people are becoming too jaded with certain terms while texting.It's not a huge leap to say that those same people would not speak that way in conversation face to face.

The faceless nature of the internet and texting in general has made us this way.

Nah, for me it was the old school comedians, like andrew dice clay, and richard pryor. Those are the ones that, for me anyways, made swear words lose all meaning.

The internet just made me infinitely more horny :oops:

Hal-9000
09-20-2011, 10:44 PM
I speak to women exactly the same way here as I do in person....:lol:

Every other situation I clean up my language and demeanor

deebakes
09-21-2011, 01:00 AM
:wank:

fricnjay
09-21-2011, 07:17 PM

Respectfully,
cracker-9000

My wife has 2 master degrees and is a phd candidate all in counseling and she would tell you that taking offense to the words spite out of another persons mouth is your problem more than it is theirs. If you have a problem with it maybe you need to evaluate why that word has ownership over you. No one ever stops to think how their own reaction defines what we allow to have control over our lives. As a person if any of us allow ourselves to be defined by the words other people say we are all doomed as a society. Political Correctness is taken way to seriously in this country and is becoming detrimental to the development of us as a culture. As the freedom of speech and expression break down so does creativity and the arts and that is a world I really dont want to be in. But hey thats just my opinion. :dunno:

Awwwww :(

I speak to women exactly the same way here as I do in person....:lol:

Every other situation I clean up my language and demeanor

So not at all then... :razz:

Hal-9000
09-21-2011, 09:45 PM
My wife has 2 master degrees and is a phd candidate all in counseling and she would tell you that taking offense to the words spite out of another persons mouth is your problem more than it is theirs. If you have a problem with it maybe you need to evaluate why that word has ownership over you. No one ever stops to think how their own reaction defines what we allow to have control over our lives. As a person if any of us allow ourselves to be defined by the words other people say we are all doomed as a society. Political Correctness is taken way to seriously in this country and is becoming detrimental to the development of us as a culture. As the freedom of speech and expression break down so does creativity and the arts and that is a world I really dont want to be in. But hey thats just my opinion. :dunno:

The words offend me because I get slapped every time I use them :lol:

Not just me mon frere...I know that using the C word would offend over 90% of the people in my life and no, I can't canvass them all to find out why the word has 'such a hold over them'.I know it's offensive, end of story.Why? Because society tells me so...that's where the word 'tact' is derived from :)

fricnjay
09-21-2011, 10:08 PM
The words offend me because I get slapped every time I use them :lol:

Bwahahahahahahahahahaha

Not just me mon frere...I know that using the C word would offend over 90% of the people in my life and no, I can't canvass them all to find out why the word has 'such a hold over them'.I know it's offensive, end of story.Why? Because society tells me so...that's where the word 'tact' is derived from :)

Honestly I do realize I am in a very small demographic but the science is actually behind me. Do I think tact is important? Hell yes, I do measure up the people I am talking to gauge what to say and how to say it, but really that is manipulation at its most basic core. Is it right, meh. We are all different and that is what makes us great as human beings. We should celebrate it and when you celebrate jokes are told, its just a bloody joke. The article is specifically targeting casual conversation I believe so I would deduce that it was meant to be read by friends and if thats the case joke away, if you dont like it dont read it. The power is in the readers hands not the writers. Now in hate I do think its a bit different for the attacker, that is a whole different animal as far as prognosis goes. But it still remains the same for the attacked by allowing it to bother you only empowers the attacker. Am I saying that people should be going out there using all kinds of profanity and racial slurs? By no means no. I am saying we would probably have none of it if people would not take offense though. Its a self perpetuating problem.

Hal-9000
09-21-2011, 10:11 PM
I understand completely what you're saying Jay.I would love to live in a world where I could say the very first thing on my mind and not be judged by the words used, rather than the intent of the statement.

Unfortunately that's not the world we live in.

Now eat shit and die cocksucker and post another movie pic you _unt!

fricnjay
09-21-2011, 10:13 PM
Cool

And I already did post another pic you rat bastard. I swear Hal your slower than a boy in a wheel chair trying to make it up a hill.

Hal-9000
09-21-2011, 10:22 PM
:(

I must have fallen asleep WAITING...forgive me pls..

fricnjay
09-21-2011, 10:28 PM
Its OK buddy, I have nothing but love for yea.

DemonGeminiX
09-21-2011, 10:29 PM
I swear Hal your slower than a boy in a wheel chair trying to make it up a hill.

:-s

Let's see how fast you get up a hill in a wheelchair, you stinky Texan.

:nana:

Hal-9000
09-21-2011, 10:31 PM
they don't make wheelchairs in XLFATASS size...

DemonGeminiX
09-21-2011, 10:34 PM

Man, Jay got awfully quiet...

fricnjay
09-21-2011, 10:36 PM
:-s

Let's see how fast you get up a hill in a wheelchair, you stinky Texan.

:nana:

they don't make wheelchairs in XLFATASS size...

Dude I'm crying over here from laughter. Thats is some funny ass shit right there. :lmao:

Hal-9000
09-21-2011, 10:40 PM
Jay...you should hang out more often :lol:

fricnjay
09-21-2011, 11:10 PM
I am trying man I really am.

Hugh_Janus
09-23-2011, 08:13 PM

Would you hit a guy in a wheelchair wearing glasses?

I wouldn't.... well, not before asking him to take his specs off

also, you're all a buncha phaggits

Acid Trip
09-23-2011, 08:41 PM
I wouldn't.... well, not before asking him to take his specs off

also, you're all a buncha phaggits

The glasses will cause more damage to your hand than the punch itself. I got 6 stitches in my hand from punching a dumb ass in sunglasses. I got the better end of the deal cause he ended up napping on the pavement for awhile :mrgreen:

Hugh_Janus
09-23-2011, 08:47 PM
that's why you punch people on the jaw or the nose :slap: though that hasn't always worked out too well for me... I once had someone's tooth stuck between my knuckles :lol:

Acid Trip
09-23-2011, 09:16 PM
that's why you punch people on the jaw or the nose :slap: though that hasn't always worked out too well for me... I once had someone's tooth stuck between my knuckles :lol:

I went straight for his nose and the bridge on the sunglasses tore up the spot between my first and second knuckle.

Hugh_Janus
09-23-2011, 09:18 PM
oh, I thought you went for an eye smash

DemonGeminiX
09-23-2011, 09:33 PM
Damn violent people.

[-(

Hugh_Janus
09-23-2011, 09:39 PM
:slap:

DemonGeminiX
09-23-2011, 09:49 PM