PDA

View Full Version : BMA condemns boys cage-fighting at Preston Labour club

redred
09-21-2011, 04:13 PM
Video footage showing two eight-year-old boys cage-fighting at a Lancashire Labour club has been condemned by the British Medical Association (BMA).

The film, shot at Greenlands Labour Club, in Preston, shows young boys taking part.

The BMA has described the images as "particularly disturbing".

Club manager Michelle Anderson said they worked closely with police in Preston and that the children "loved it" and were never in danger.

'Brain injury'
A BMA spokesman said: "This example of cage-fighting among young children in Preston is particularly disturbing, especially as they are not even wearing head guards.

"Boxing and cage-fighting are sometimes defended on the grounds that children learn to work through their aggression with discipline and control.

"The BMA believes there are many other sports, such as athletics, swimming, judo and football, which require discipline but do not pose the same threat of brain injury."

But Ms Anderson said: "The children loved it, the kids who were involved in the fight on the night absolutely loved it."

She added: "We work very closely with Preston police and the licensing department and they were happy for us to go ahead with this.

"It's just people who know nothing about the sport who want to contribute."

Chris Cloke, head of child protection awareness at the NSPCC, said: "We would strongly discourage parents from letting their children take part in this kind of fighting.

"It's quite disturbing that some of those involved in the bouts were as young as eight, an age when they are still developing, physically and mentally.

"The organisers of these activities should think very carefully before allowing children to be involved when they are egged on to inflict violence."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-14998593

redred
09-21-2011, 04:16 PM
ok apart from the not wearing head gear thing may be, i can't see a problem with this ,they will learn respect to others and discipline if done right also keep fit and much more

deebakes
09-21-2011, 04:26 PM
i thought this story was about condoms... :sad2:

redred
09-21-2011, 04:40 PM
i thought this story was about condoms... :sad2:

:qft: how :lol:

deebakes
09-21-2011, 04:43 PM
damn dyslexia :sad2:

redred
09-21-2011, 04:50 PM