PDA

View Full Version : Virginia may declare Sudafed more dangerous than date rape drug

Teh One Who Knocks
09-21-2011, 06:26 PM
By Peter Smith | Old Dominion Watchdog

ALEXANDRIA — Virginia lawmakers on a Crime Commission Panel came out against a plan aimed at curbing meth-use that could have Virginians with too much allergy medication in their medicine cabinets facing stiffer penalties than those who possess “date rape” drugs.

A proposed law, sponsored by state Sen. Roscoe Reynolds, D-Martinsville, would re-classify household allergy medicines, such as Claritin-D and Sudafed, as Schedule III controlled substances — on par with addictive painkillers, such as Vicodin, and one step above Rohypnol, a powerful sleeping pill sometimes used by rapists to knock out their victims.

Roscoe’s law aims to crack down on those who use pseudoephedrine in allergy medications to cook up methamphetamine, or meth. The proposed classification would move the nasal decongestants behind the counter, available only to those with a prescription from a doctor.

Lawmakers on the panel greeted Reynolds’ proposal with skepticism.

“I certainly have some concerns, reservations about making a drug, that is this common and has none of the other characteristics of prescription drugs, prescription,” said Delegate Rob Bell, R-Albemarle, who chairs the commission.

The Crime Commission Panel instead is looking at ways to monitor sales of the allergy medication electronically to help law enforcement battle local meth cooks.

The Commission expressed interest in the National Precursor Log Exchange, or NPLEx, an electronic tracking system used in states with long histories of meth abuse, such as Tennessee and Indiana. The system tracks the sale of Sudafed and other allergy medicines using bar codes and a nationwide purchaser database.

The only inconvenience to the customer would be handing over identification to a store clerk, who would then enter his information into the log. The service is provided free to state governments that pass laws cracking down on methamphetamine use and distribution.

Muddy
09-21-2011, 06:28 PM
It's just becasue people use them to make Meth.. Still, It's BS... You already have to go to the pharmacist and ask for a box of Sudafed..

PorkChopSandwiches
09-21-2011, 06:28 PM
:roll:

Muddy
09-21-2011, 06:31 PM
Welcome to the bible belt! Guns, God, and Glory!

Hal-9000
09-21-2011, 06:36 PM
that's so fucked....Sudafed is merely an ingredient used in a much larger chemical process to make meth.On it's own it's harmless.

I have allergies and wouldn't go to the pharmacist to get non prescription shit...and even if I had 100 boxes of it in my bathroom, they had better not try and
prosecute me for being a thrifty shopper :x

How about trying to take down the drug makers and dealers instead? There's a novel idea :rolleyes:

Teh One Who Knocks
09-21-2011, 06:37 PM
It's just becasue people use them to make Meth.. Still, It's BS... You already have to go to the pharmacist and ask for a box of Sudafed..

It's absolutely fucking stupid...like you said, you already need to go to the pharmacy to buy this stuff, and you have to present ID which they take down all your info from making you already feel like a criminal all because you have allergies. Then you have to sign for it! Now this moron wants to equate Claritin D with Vicodin? What a fucking idiot.

Muddy
09-21-2011, 06:38 PM
that's so fucked....Sudafed is merely an ingredient used in a much larger chemical process to make meth.On it's own it's harmless.

I have allergies and wouldn't go to the pharmacist to get non prescription shit...and even if I had 100 boxes of it in my bathroom, they had better not try and
prosecute me for being a thrifty shopper :x

How about trying to take down the drug makers and dealers instead? There's a novel idea :rolleyes:

If you didnt go to the pharmacist then you wouldn't get Sudafed, my friend.

Hal-9000
09-21-2011, 06:40 PM
If you didnt go to the pharmacist then you wouldn't get Sudafed, my friend.

I can get it from my buddy Raoul down on the corner then....:lol:

oh shit, that Sudafed is in meth form, I'll have to backwards engineer my allergy pills

Muddy
09-21-2011, 06:40 PM
It's absolutely fucking stupid...like you said, you already need to go to the pharmacy to buy this stuff, and you have to present ID which they take down all your info from making you already feel like a criminal all because you have allergies. Then you have to sign for it! Now this moron wants to equate Claritin D with Vicodin? What a fucking idiot.

It probably wont pass.. We get some dumb shit that rolls across the Gen. assy. floor...

Acid Trip
09-21-2011, 06:42 PM
Allegra-D is the only thing that helps me survive early Spring allergies. I'm good the rest of the year but there's something in the March air that fucks me up.

You don't even need Sudafedrine to make Meth. It just happens to be one of the easiest ways to make it. In West Texas meth heads steal Anahydrous from farmers and make it from that.

deebakes
09-21-2011, 06:42 PM
you guys seem to be missing the main point... it appears that date rape drugs are legal :dance: :cheerlead:

Hal-9000
09-21-2011, 06:44 PM
I don't take anything for my allergies.....(cats, some dogs, hay and feather pillows)

I've taken Claritan and that helped a little, but won't take them as a rule.

Hal-9000
09-21-2011, 06:45 PM
you guys seem to be missing the main point... it appears that date rape drugs are legal :dance: :cheerlead:

I use a date rape drug...it's called a healthy bar tab :thumbsup:

deebakes
09-21-2011, 06:46 PM
I use a date rape drug...it's called a healthy bar tab :thumbsup:

amateur :hand:

Teh One Who Knocks
09-21-2011, 06:46 PM
I can get it from my buddy Raoul down on the corner then....:lol:

oh shit, that Sudafed is in meth form, I'll have to backwards engineer my allergy pills

Bwahahahahahahahaha....honest officer, I was only buying the meth to reverse engineer it into allergy meds 8-[

Allegra-D is the only thing that helps me survive early Spring allergies. I'm good the rest of the year but there's something in the March air that fucks me up.

You don't even need Sudafedrine to make Meth. It just happens to be one of the easiest ways to make it. In West Texas meth heads steal Anahydrous from farmers and make it from that.

Claritin D is the only thing that works for me

I don't take anything for my allergies.....(cats, some dogs, hay and feather pillows)

I'd die in the late summer without Claritin D

Acid Trip
09-21-2011, 06:49 PM

I'd rather take allergy medicine than spend an entire month sounding like I just did a ball of yayo.

deebakes
09-21-2011, 06:50 PM
who is that usually now posts something about using a neti pot and it cures everything? :-k

Teh One Who Knocks
09-21-2011, 07:07 PM
I'd rather take allergy medicine than spend an entire month sounding like I just did a ball of yayo.

Yup, I get it bad in the late summer...eyes are all watery and itchy, can't stop freaking sneezing, and all congested. It's miserable