PDA

View Full Version : Police: House sitter shoots, kills burglar in Fox Park neighborhood

Teh One Who Knocks
09-24-2011, 10:36 AM
BY KIM BELL • The St Louis Post-Dispatch

http://i.imgur.com/lfm1z.jpg

ST. LOUIS • A house sitter shot and killed a suspected burglar who kicked in the door of a home being rehabbed in the 2800 block of Magnolia Avenue early Friday, St. Louis police say.

Rico Kemp, 39, was shot to death at about 12:30 a.m. Friday. Kemp lived in the 2300 block of Collett Drive in Moline Acres.

The house sitter, a 48-year-old man, was not identified by police. He told detectives that he woke up after hearing someone break into the back door. He told police he was scared for his life so he fired one shot.

Kemp was shot in the chest.

The burglary and shooting were reported at 12:33 a.m. Friday. The 2800 block of Magnolia is in the Fox Park neighborhood. The house is in the half of that neighborhood that recently was designated as a local historic district, said Ian Simmons, president of the Fox Park Neighborhood Association.

Katie O'Sullivan, a police department spokeswoman, said Friday that police would present the case to prosecutors, who would decide whether to file charges against the house sitter.

Missouri is one of several states with the so-called Castle Doctrine, a self-defense law that says someone is justified in using deadly force if he or she "reasonably believes such force to be necessary to defend" against the "use or imminent use of unlawful force" by someone else. The law says the person feeling threatened doesn't have to retreat from a dwelling or vehicle if the intruder enters unlawfully.

According to court files, Kemp has previous convictions for burglary, theft, property damage, possession of marijuana and domestic assault.

Kemp was released from parole on April 7 of this year, according to the Missouri Department of Corrections.

Ethel Mackey said her nephew, Kemp, was a troubled soul who couldn't get off drugs. He was staying with his father in Moline Acres until recently, taking to sleeping on park benches and in vacant buildings after the family urged him to give up the drugs.

"He just didn't want to listen," said Mackey, of Radcliff, Ky.

She said Kemp had talked on the phone with his father Thursday night. Kemp said he was going to try and stay with his sister, who lives near the Magnolia Avenue home, for the night. The sister didn't answer the phone, Mackey said.

"I guess that's when he went to this house," she said of the home on Magnolia Avenue. "I'm thinking this is his safe haven where he'd go to sleep. He probably didn't think anybody was staying there.

Property records maintained by the city show that the home is owned by Joe Freund, but Freund said he sold the property in August to a woman named Toni Easter. Easter was out of town and unavailable for comment, a woman who works with her said.

Wendell Byrd, 44, who lives nearby and was walking down Magnolia Avenue on Friday morning, told a reporter he thinks the house sitter was within his rights to protect the property.

Byrd survived a stab wound to his neck last September by a man he said broke into his apartment in the 3400 block of Cherokee Street. Byrd recalled waking up face down on his bed in a pool of blood.

With the knife still lodged in his neck, Byrd said he walked across the street to a short-term loan business to get help. He said he spent more than a week recovering at a hospital.

"If you break into my home, you're getting one," he said. "Coming into someone's house is a bit extreme."

Police said no arrests were made in Byrd's case.

Marty Luther, 41, who lives a few houses down on Magnolia Avenue with his wife and three young children, said he probably would have done the same as the house sitter to protect his family and property.

"It's unfortunate someone had to lose their life for something so stupid," Luther said.

Luther said he has concerns about safety in his neighborhood.

"If it happens again, I'm looking to get out," he said.

deebakes
09-24-2011, 03:31 PM
i'd be interested to hear the follow up on this story... seems pretty much open and shut to a normal person :-k

Godfather
09-24-2011, 04:19 PM
I hope they police don't give the housesitter any problems.

Straight to jail up here in Canada :roll: I really do hate that

Loser
09-24-2011, 05:34 PM
i'd be interested to hear the follow up on this story... seems pretty much open and shut to a normal person :-k

I hope they police don't give the housesitter any problems.

Straight to jail up here in Canada :roll: I really do hate that

To answer ya both, the house sitter is protected under the Castle law, which about 30 states have, not "several", as the article implies.

When protected under the castle law, you're exactly that, protected. No legal or criminal liability at all. That means you cannot be prosecuted, nor can the family file a civil suit against you.

One of the best laws in my opinion.

Godfather
09-25-2011, 02:00 AM
We have a right to defend ourselves and property up here.. but using firearms for defense is a serious no-no.

DemonGeminiX
09-25-2011, 02:15 AM
To answer ya both, the house sitter is protected under the Castle law, which about 30 states have, not "several", as the article implies.

When protected under the castle law, you're exactly that, protected. No legal or criminal liability at all. That means you cannot be prosecuted, nor can the family file a civil suit against you.

One of the best laws in my opinion.

:-s

I was about to say, where the hell did the author get the "several" from?

DemonGeminiX
09-25-2011, 02:27 AM
I'm glad I live in Georgia. Georgia is a Stand-Your-Ground state. No duty to retreat anywhere. If somebody rolled up on me, attacking me in the middle of the street and I had witnesses to say that I didn't instigate or look for trouble, I could kill the son-of-a-bitch right there and then and be clear of any charges.

Hugh_Janus
09-25-2011, 09:08 AM
We have a right to defend ourselves and property up here.. but using firearms for defense is a serious no-no.

we don't really have that.... if an intruder was to come into my house and "accidentally" fall down the stairs, he coulld take me to court :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
09-25-2011, 02:17 PM

That will do you a lot of good when your attackers are armed.

Godfather
09-25-2011, 05:26 PM
we don't really have that.... if an intruder was to come into my house and "accidentally" fall down the stairs, he coulld take me to court :lol:

Exactly... the criminal code gives property owners right but a bunch have bullshit legal developments in the last 30 years mean that if you don't put out a "slippery when wet" sign for a crack-head who breaks in, he'll sue you.

Godfather
09-25-2011, 05:28 PM
That will do you a lot of good when your attackers are armed.

Ya I don't quite get it. I have a rifle under my bed, but I know almsot for certain that if I shoot someone who breaks into my home I will be charged.

I often wonder what I would do... honestly, I'd rather take my chances with the courts than the criminal.