PDA

View Full Version : New PETA ad targets Florida shark attack victim

Teh One Who Knocks
09-28-2011, 11:20 AM
Reported by: Max Winitz - WWSB-TV Channel 7

http://i.imgur.com/TYpc9.jpg

ANNA MARIA, Fla. - A controversial PETA advertisement has been released, targeting the recent victim of a shark attack that happened off the coast of Anna Maria Island.

"Payback is Hell" is being used to send anglers a message that fish feel pain.

"It may be an unusual way to get the message across, but I think it will cause people to be more sensitive towards fish," says Ashely Byrne with PETA.

Last weekend, 21-year-old, C.J. Wickersham was spearfishing in the Gulf of Mexico, just a few miles from Anna Maria Island.

"We are certainly glad the man is going to be alright, but we hope he and other fishermen will use this as an opportunity to rethink fishing," said Byrne.

PETA wants the illustration placed on billboards and benches around Anna Maria. Mayor Michael Selby says that won't happen. "We have no billboards in the city, and we do not allow advertising on our trolley benches," says Selby.

One angler says this is PETA's "typical propaganda." "If I see one of those billboards that they plan on putting up, I will burn it down," says shark angler Bill Goldschmitt.

Goldschmitt says the advertisement is adding insult to injury. "This is a human we are talking about. A lot of these animal rights activists look at the things being done to animals and don't seem to recognize what is being done to humans."

PETA officials say this is not the first time they have tried to install signs after a shark attack on a human.
Copyright 2011 Southern Broadcast Corp of Sarasota All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

FBD
09-28-2011, 12:39 PM
:lol: typical misguided eco-fewl. what's making fun of a surfer's misfortune going to tell fisherman? stay in the boat :dance:

JoeyB
09-28-2011, 09:05 PM
The guy was spearfishing, right? The shark won, fuck him. End of story. It's like when hunters get mauled by a bear. Shut the fuck up, you lost.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-28-2011, 11:17 PM
:lol: typical misguided eco-fewl. what's making fun of a surfer's misfortune going to tell fisherman? stay in the boat :dance:

Exactly....fuck PETA...because of them I'll have an extra steak tonite :thumbsup:

Hal-9000
09-28-2011, 11:19 PM
soooooo....if he was a vegan and swimming in the same area, the shark would back off? :-s

Teh One Who Knocks
09-28-2011, 11:30 PM
soooooo....if he was a vegan and swimming in the same area, the shark would back off? :-s

Of course, don't you know anything? :shakehead:

It's all a misunderstanding....if people stopped fishing, sharks wouldn't eat anyone anymore :)

Hal-9000
09-29-2011, 02:51 AM
I think the Japanese have the right idea...develop a taste and a market for shark, load up about 1000 boats or so and start knockin down some doors in their hood :thumbsup: