PDA

View Full Version : 'Magic Mushroom' Compound Triggered Positive Personality Change in Study

PorkChopSandwiches
09-29-2011, 02:48 PM
THURSDAY, Sept. 29 (HealthDay News) -- In new research that will almost certainly create controversy, scientists working with the hallucinogen psilocybin -- the active ingredient found in "magic mushrooms" -- have found that a single dose of the drug prompted an enduring but positive personality change in almost 60 percent of patients.

Specifically, tests involving a small group of patients in a strictly controlled and monitored clinical setting revealed that, more often than not, one round of psilocybin exposure successfully boosted an individual's sense of "openness." What's more, the apparent shift in what is deemed to be a key aspect of personality did not dissipate after exposure, lasting at least a year and sometimes longer.

"Now this finding is really quite fascinating," said study author Roland R. Griffiths, a professor in the departments of psychiatry and neuroscience at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in Baltimore. "And that is because personality is considered a stable characteristic of the psychology of people. It's been thought to be relatively immutable, and stable across the lifespan.

"But, remarkably, this study shows that psilocybin actually changes one domain of personality that is strongly related to traits such as imagination, feeling, abstract ideas and aesthetics, and is considered a core construct underlying creativity in general," he added. "And the changes we see appear to be long-term."

Griffiths said it's possible psilocybin could have therapeutic uses. For example, he is currently studying whether the hallucinogen might be useful in helping cancer patients cope with the depression and anxiety that often accompany the disease, and whether it might help smokers quit the habit.

Griffiths and his colleagues discuss their findings, funded in part by the U.S. National Institute on Drug Abuse, in the new issue of the Journal of Psychopharmacology.

Working with 51 psychologically healthy volunteers, the study authors conducted baseline personality tests before engaging the participants in a total of two to five experiment sessions, each lasting about eight hours.

The researchers said that almost all of the study participants deemed themselves to be "spiritually active." Roughly half had completed a post-graduate education.

Not all the sessions involved psilocybin. In fact, the hallucinogen was administered only once, at a dose described as "moderate to high," and the volunteers were never told which session actually entailed drug exposure.

A minimum break of three weeks was allotted between sessions.

During each session, participants were asked to lay down while wearing both eye masks and headphones (with music piped in) to screen out their external environment and focus on their interior experience. Neither the participants nor the session monitors knew which session involved psilocybin use.

The results: repeated personality and so-called "states of consciousness" testing revealed that some critical aspects of the participants' personalities remained unchanged. In the key domains of neuroticism, extroversion, agreeableness and conscientiousness, psilocybin appeared to register little to no impact.

The exception: "openness." Not only did openness increase significantly in response to high doses of the hallucinogen, it also remained at an elevated level throughout a 14-month follow-up period.

"Certainly we want to underscore do not try this at home," Griffiths cautioned. "Because clearly there are several kinds of potential downsides. One is that personality changes are personality changes. Now, we don't have any reason to think that the changes we see are toxic in any way. It appears to be a change that people value in a positive way. But certainly more research needs to be done.

"And the other note," he added, "is that we've conducted our research under conditions where we've screened out people who are potentially vulnerable to adverse effects. And we've given the drug in a hospital setting with two people at their side throughout, so there's virtually no opportunity for the patient to do something dangerous. But we know that, shockingly, all the time people who use mushrooms recreationally sometimes end up getting into accidents or engage in homicidal behavior or suicide.

"So we certainly don't want to imply that there's not risk associated with these compounds," stressed Griffiths. "And we wouldn't want to be a reason for an uptick for non-medical, uncontrolled use of this sort of thing."

Dr. Stephen Ross, clinical director of the NYU Langone Center of Excellence on Addiction in New York City, said he viewed Griffiths' work as a "landmark" in the field of hallucinogen research.

"I say this because we think of personality as being cemented in your 20s, certainly by your 30s," he said. "So the fact that openness was increased, seemingly permanently, after a single experience of psilocybin is quite remarkable.

"But, of course, as interesting as the implications for future therapies from this might be, the message should be that people should not try this at home or in any kind of uncontrolled environment," Ross added. "This is preliminary research that needs to be replicated. And replicated in a carefully controlled treatment environment."

Acid Trip
09-29-2011, 03:24 PM
I know I always feel happier after taking mushrooms.

PorkChopSandwiches
09-29-2011, 03:25 PM
Me too

Godfather
09-29-2011, 03:54 PM
I've heard this for years... it has long been said that some sufferers of depression are cured after one trip on shrooms.

I've never tried them, and shrooms have the rep for being a college/party drug but honestly Western science is taking a good long look at old-world medicine and there's validity to some of it. I say if it grows in the ground, why not :lol:

Depression fuggin' sucks. Lost two friends to it already, and for young adults the drugs prescribed by doctors just don't seem to be effective enough :(

Hal-9000
09-29-2011, 04:08 PM
shrooms always made me superhuman....drink 18 beers, smoke all kinds of weed and not really get an effect from either...until the mushrooms wear off :lol:

FBD
09-29-2011, 04:15 PM
Depression fuggin' sucks. Lost two friends to it already, and for young adults the drugs prescribed by doctors just don't seem to be effective enough :(

basically because they only know how to by fucking up your endocrine balance right now! sucks losing friends, bro...I feel yo pain there...

how are shrooms different than acid? I never tried shrooms, and the couple times I did acid it just didnt even fool me, it just made me rather hyper for 14 hours straight.

PorkChopSandwiches
09-29-2011, 04:19 PM
Shrooms are much more mellow and feel more natural. Acid to me was very intense and it felt like chemicals racing through your system. Plus you can go to sleep when you eat shrooms if you want to be done, acid...not so much.

Muddy
09-29-2011, 04:20 PM
They all make me freak out...

FBD
09-29-2011, 04:25 PM
hrm. yeah, I dont really feel the need to try shrooms at all. when meditation gets good enough, all of this other crap pales in comparison, and you get to do it every single day, with a ton of positive benefits and pretty much no bad ones. green dont even compare either...but that is far more benign of a substance.

Godfather
09-29-2011, 04:29 PM
I've never tried schrooms but my friends who are quite good at taking drugs said you can be quite in control. You can let faces and colors and walls run and go crazy if you want, but they said they always felt they could reel it back.

Then again, my girlfriend's friends did it and locked themselves in the bathroom for half the day freaking out. It can become really overwhelming, but I think they were higher off the excitement than the schroom... which seem to be really common :lol:

Muddy
09-29-2011, 04:32 PM
I'll stick to my beer...

Godfather
09-29-2011, 04:33 PM
basically because they only know how to by fucking up your endocrine balance right now! sucks losing friends, bro...I feel yo pain there...

For sure... but the drugs are more effective with older folks though no? I know the women in my family have all gone through it around menopause. Nothing wrong in life, then one day just a wave of darkness comes over them. For my mom, she said the hardest part was admitting she needed a doctor. After that the drugs started to make her feel better within a week or two. That was years ago now and there have been no problems since.

But with my one young friend, it was a constant struggle with the prescription meds. Some made it worse, it frustrated him, felt no results which turned him off seeing a doc all together.

I'll stick to my beer...

Same here.

PorkChopSandwiches
09-29-2011, 04:47 PM
I dont mess with this stuff anymore, especially since I had kids (except weed)
I may be up from a couple shrooms if the situation was right.

Goofy
09-29-2011, 04:58 PM
I saw aliens and lots of shooting stars last time i did mushies :lol: Apparently i also had a stare-out with a lump of coal for an hour............. i won of course :cool:

Hal-9000
09-29-2011, 05:15 PM
mushrooms I took you could not sleep on :lol:....and they hurt your fucking face from laughing/spazzing so much

acid and shrooms are younger people's drugs, you have to have a pretty clear mind and schedule to do either

PorkChopSandwiches
09-29-2011, 05:27 PM
mushrooms I took you could not sleep on :lol:....and they hurt your fucking face from laughing/spazzing so much

acid and shrooms are younger people's drugs, you have to have a pretty clear mind and schedule to do either

I guess I mean more like when it you are done. You dont have to burn out for hours

Hal-9000
09-29-2011, 05:34 PM
I guess I mean more like when it you are done. You dont have to burn out for hours

Yeah the comedown for mushrooms could be pretty abrupt :lol: In 5 minutes you realize that in the past 5 hours you've drank a bottle a rye, smoked 10 joints and 1300 cigarettes.

Acid always kept me up for 15 hours minimum...there's no sleeping on that shit, ever :lol:

Muddy
09-29-2011, 05:50 PM
In 5 minutes you realize that in the past 5 hours you've drank a bottle a rye, smoked 10 joints and 1300 cigarettes.

Hahahaha.... I can relate! :lol:

Hal-9000
09-29-2011, 05:55 PM
and then the shrooms would wear off and you're hungover, burnt out and gaggin up a lung all simultaneously :lol:

this conversation brings up too many memories :rofl:

Muddy
09-29-2011, 05:57 PM
I lovvvvvved the ol' sore lungs the next day.. (man thats fuckin scary) :lol:

Hal-9000
09-29-2011, 06:50 PM
those drugs kinda scared me in away....I was on acid and drank about 8 straight shots of whiskey (my fave drink of choice) and felt nothing.You could drink and smoke all night and still stay reasonably sober.Other than the hallucinations and shit from the 'cid :lol:

Acid Trip
09-29-2011, 06:51 PM
For me, mushrooms are a trippy experience best done outdoors. I always felt like nature was my best friend. I had a silent conversation with a group of ducks one time. Long story but we were all smiling at the end (well it felt like we were).

Acid was always a roller coaster for me. We preferred to lock ourselves in our house until it was over and we could face the real world again. Too much going on to even think about interacting with sober people.

I read a book a long time ago that theorized that human higher level of thinking was because of magic mushrooms. We are the only species on the planet that would eat them and we are somehow light years ahead of all other species. The guy was reaching (lack of concrete evidence) but I always feel I'm two steps ahead of people after shrooming. Like they aren't thinking as fast as I am.

Acid + Ecstasy = Best experiences of my life.

Hal-9000
09-29-2011, 06:53 PM
One night on acid I came to the conclusion that rich nudists walked bow legged....(no where to carry their money except....)

I thought I was brilliant :lol:

Hal-9000
09-29-2011, 06:55 PM
We used to get quite the variety of mushrooms....PEI Bluetops had a legendary reputation.I ate a handful one night at a keg party (less than 2 grams) and I was drinking out of the pitcher we were using to pour cups of beer...

:oops:

Muddy
09-29-2011, 07:37 PM
I had a silent conversation with a group of ducks one time. Long story but we were all smiling at the end (well it felt like we were).

Thats awesome.. :lol:

JoeyB
09-29-2011, 07:56 PM
I have a very vivid imagination, and wonder what these would do for me...on the other hand, I rarely take any medication (seriously, only the occasional tylenol or perhaps some pepto, but months will pass for either, sometimes longer).

I did drink a lot in my early twenties, but alcoholism runs heavily on both sides of my family. The first time I drank I was twenty and at a hotel party, I started the night out tentatively sipping on wine coolers and finished it drinking vodka right from the bottle. Like a fish to water, that was me. I spent an entire October drunk once. I have to be careful and to be honest, I haven't had any alcohol since the day before the Oscars in 1998. I was moving out of state and had four beers with a friend who really knew the good rare labels. (Titanic swept everything the next night).

I did smoke pot five or six times around 94 or 95, but only once or twice did it affect me in any way.

All of which is to say, I have an addictive personality married with a lack of drug experience combined with an already warped, overactive brain. So I wonder if shrums would be a wise course of action on my part?

PorkChopSandwiches
09-29-2011, 07:58 PM
I have a very vivid imagination, and wonder what these would do for me...on the other hand, I rarely take any medication (seriously, only the occasional tylenol or perhaps some pepto, but months will pass for either, sometimes longer).

I did drink a lot in my early twenties, but alcoholism runs heavily on both sides of my family. The first time I drank I was twenty and at a hotel party, I started the night out tentatively sipping on wine coolers and finished it drinking vodka right from the bottle. Like a fish to water, that was me. I spent an entire October drunk once. I have to be careful and to be honest, I haven't had any alcohol since the day before the Oscars in 1998. I was moving out of state and had four beers with a friend who really knew the good rare labels. (Titanic swept everything the next night).

I did smoke pot five or six times around 94 or 95, but only once or twice did it affect me in any way.

All of which is to say, I have an addictive personality married with a lack of drug experience combined with an already warped, overactive brain. So I wonder if shrums would be a wise course of action on my part?

I thought for sure you were heavily medicated

JoeyB
09-29-2011, 08:15 PM
I thought for sure you were heavily medicated

No this is completely natural.

Be afraid.

PorkChopSandwiches
09-29-2011, 08:17 PM
:lol:

Acid Trip
09-29-2011, 08:36 PM
Thats awesome.. :lol:

My wife (girlfriend at the time) and I were sitting on a bench near a lake talking about how pretty the water was when all of the sudden the ducks came out of the water, walked up near our bench and just stared at us. They were in a semi circle like they were waiting for a speech. We counted 14 in total.

We just sat there and smiled the entire time just wondering what the fuck these ducks were doing so close to humans (not to mention staring us down). Eventually we got up to go walk around and told the ducks bye. We had only taken a few steps when the ducks turned around and jumped back into the water.

It was surreal. My wife and I still talk about it to this day.

Hal-9000
09-29-2011, 08:41 PM

No, don't.The two drugs we're discussing here have powerful psychotropic side effects.You've heard of a bad trip? It can happen on either...something like a simple joke or sarcasm can stir up some bad blood if you're with a group.And shrooms aren't the type of drug to take alone for the same reasons.....(I have taken both acid and mushrooms while alone)

Acid Trip
09-29-2011, 08:43 PM

Here is what you should ask yourself before taking any hallucinogens: Am I happy and comfortable with myself?

If your mind goes to dark places you may want to avoid them.

I've seen people in a bad mood (or had shit on their mind) and they had a terrible trip. One saw small children trying to grab her legs (she just had a miscarriage), one thought that if he went to the bathroom he would break his own neck (found out later he was depressed), another thought he was burning in hell for several hours straight. No explanation for the last guy. He just laid on the floor moaning about the fire and how he was sorry.

I tend to see really funny shit like trees coming to life and having a pie fight. Acid will make you see stuff that's not there. Shrooms will alter the way you see things in your environment but rarely will you see something like a little green man run out of your cupboard carrying Lucky Charms.

Hal-9000
09-29-2011, 08:50 PM
best I had on mushrooms was breathing curtains and staring at my pie plate sized pupils in the mirror for half an hour and seeing the demon within

:thumbsup: good times

Muddy
09-29-2011, 08:54 PM
My wife (girlfriend at the time) and I were sitting on a bench near a lake talking about how pretty the water was when all of the sudden the ducks came out of the water, walked up near our bench and just stared at us. They were in a semi circle like they were waiting for a speech. We counted 14 in total.

We just sat there and smiled the entire time just wondering what the fuck these ducks were doing so close to humans (not to mention staring us down). Eventually we got up to go walk around and told the ducks bye. We had only taken a few steps when the ducks turned around and jumped back into the water.

It was surreal. My wife and I still talk about it to this day.

Hey, Didn't Timothy Leary think there was some form of higher thinking communication out there or something? It could very well be..

Muddy
09-29-2011, 08:55 PM
Here is what you should ask yourself before taking any hallucinogens: Am I happy and comfortable with myself?

Agreed.

Hal-9000
09-29-2011, 08:59 PM
Acid opens up part of the medulla...or basically, the filter to the brain.

Imagine if every sight and sound you experience walking through a loud, visceral room like a crowded bar registered all at once....
Normally your brain filters out all of that input....on LSD and to a certain degree mushrooms, it opens up.

So your senses are completely heightened, as well as causing your neural pathways to approach basic thought processes in completely different ways.
Best thing to do on those drugs is to see a movie or a concert :thumbsup:

I tried reading and that was complete bust :lol:

Acid Trip
09-29-2011, 09:23 PM
Acid opens up part of the medulla...or basically, the filter to the brain.

Imagine if every sight and sound you experience walking through a loud, visceral room like a crowded bar registered all at once....
Normally your brain filters out all of that input....on LSD and to a certain degree mushrooms, it opens up.

So your senses are completely heightened, as well as causing your neural pathways to approach basic thought processes in completely different ways.
Best thing to do on those drugs is to see a movie or a concert :thumbsup:

I tried reading and that was complete bust :lol:

We would watch Madagascar almost every time we shroomed. We'd turn it off before the Lion went nuts and tried to eat his friends.

For some reason that part made me feel really sad inside so we'd go do something else.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dtVGK4XPyYU/SNzX5cZNmfI/AAAAAAAAAHA/MFQOpwjho_4/s400/chris_rock5.jpg

JoeyB
09-29-2011, 10:19 PM
No, don't.The two drugs we're discussing here have powerful psychotropic side effects.You've heard of a bad trip? It can happen on either...something like a simple joke or sarcasm can stir up some bad blood if you're with a group.And shrooms aren't the type of drug to take alone for the same reasons.....(I have taken both acid and mushrooms while alone)

but rarely will you see something like a little green man run out of your cupboard carrying Lucky Charms.

Has anyone here ever thought of me as the sort of person whose mind goes to dark places? Like necrophilia?

See, I take these warnings seriously because I am very much what Loser called me, a fucking hippy. I watch sunsets, I like pets, I water my plants. I see beauty in clouds. But...I have a profoundly dark side as well. So...no shrooms for me.

But seriously, little green men with lucky charms? HAHA who would ever see something like that? Not me. HAHA...stop reading now.

Hal-9000
09-29-2011, 10:29 PM
We would watch Madagascar almost every time we shroomed. We'd turn it off before the Lion went nuts and tried to eat his friends.

For some reason that part made me feel really sad inside so we'd go do something else.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dtVGK4XPyYU/SNzX5cZNmfI/AAAAAAAAAHA/MFQOpwjho_4/s400/chris_rock5.jpg

I used to go to concerts on acid or mushrooms....loved the crowd energy, lightshows and the music of course.

Then later when I listened the group's albums at home I'd say to myself - What is this shit? :lol: