PDA

View Full Version : Calif. Teacher Enforces ‘Bless You’ Ban For Classroom Sneezes

Teh One Who Knocks
09-29-2011, 09:49 PM
CBS Channel 2 Los Angeles

SACRAMENTO (CBS) — A Northern California teacher is at the center of controversy after imposing penalties on his students for saying “bless you” in response to sneezing in his classroom.

Teacher Steve Cuckovich at Will C. Wood high school in Vacaville said the common courtesy is disrespectful and disruptive to classroom activity — but insists the ban has nothing to do with religion.

“When you sneeze, in the old days, they thought you were dispelling evil spirits out of your body, so they were saying, ‘God bless you’ for getting rid of the evil spirits,” said Cuckovich. “But today, I said, ‘Really what you’re doing doesn’t make any sense anymore’.”

Cuckovich started off the new school year by docking a student 25 points for saying the phrase in response to a sneeze.

Some parents were less than receptive to the new measure.

“Everybody has the right to their own beliefs, but they don’t have rights to impose those beliefs on other people, especially not school children,” said parent Alan Johnson.

The school’s principal has stated that the disciplinary measure will not be tolerated.

Muddy
09-29-2011, 09:50 PM
This must be one of Porkys friends..

Teh One Who Knocks
09-29-2011, 09:54 PM
This guy is a whack job

Joebob034
09-29-2011, 09:58 PM
“Everybody has the right to their own beliefs, but they don’t have rights to impose those beliefs on other people, especially not school children,” said parent Alan Johnson.

:thumbsup:

JoeyB
09-29-2011, 10:10 PM
Teacher Steve Cuckovich at Will C. Wood high school in Vacaville

Cuckovich at Will C. Wood high school

Will C. Wood high school

Snigger...

Will C. Wood

Hal-9000
09-29-2011, 11:20 PM
So if they say gesundheit, does that mean they're nazi supporters and they get docked too?

When he says its has nothing to do with religion, that dork is lying in the face of God....

deebakes
09-30-2011, 01:44 AM
:suicide:

JoeyB
09-30-2011, 06:06 AM
Will C. Wood people! Think about it!

redred
09-30-2011, 07:00 AM
ffs this whole world is going to shit trying to be PC

Acid Trip
09-30-2011, 01:28 PM
That is NOT why people say bless you.

Gregory I became Pope in AD 590 as an outbreak of the bubonic plague was reaching Rome. In hopes of fighting off the disease, he ordered unending prayer and parades of chanters through the streets. At the time, sneezing was thought to be an early symptom of the plague. The blessing ("God bless you!") became a common effort to halt the disease.

Sneezing has nothing to do with demons.

Hal-9000
09-30-2011, 07:09 PM
I always say - COVER YOUR FUCKING MOUTH YOU PIG!

it's like a blessing :)

DemonGeminiX
09-30-2011, 07:33 PM
Sneezing has nothing to do with demons.

Yeah! Now quit pickin' on me when you've got colds you ignorant bastards!

8-[

Muddy
09-30-2011, 07:34 PM
That is NOT why people say bless you.

Care to elaborate?

PorkChopSandwiches
09-30-2011, 07:37 PM
This must be one of Porkys friends..

It was me, but I was fired for banging a 19 year old second year senior

DemonGeminiX
09-30-2011, 07:38 PM
It was me, but I was fired for banging a 19 year old second year senior

:hand:

Stupid girls are way too easy.

Acid Trip
09-30-2011, 07:43 PM
Care to elaborate?

People said "Bless You" as a blessing back when the bubonic plague was rampant. They thought sneezing was an early sign you'd caught the plague so when they said "Bless You" they were really saying "Holy shit I hope you don't have the plague and if you do I hope you get better!"

It's in the quote in my post above.

Muddy
09-30-2011, 07:55 PM
People said "Bless You" as a blessing back when the bubonic plague was rampant. They thought sneezing was an early sign you'd caught the plague so when they said "Bless You" they were really saying "Holy shit I hope you don't have the plague and if you do I hope you get better!"

It's in the quote in my post above.

Oops, I thought you had quoted the first post..

Hal-9000
09-30-2011, 07:58 PM
imma painting my face brown, saying fuck you after each time someone sneezes and then claiming ignorance about the custom :face:

Muddy
09-30-2011, 08:19 PM
*praises the lord*

PorkChopSandwiches
09-30-2011, 08:59 PM
*praises the lord*

please leave my classroom

Hal-9000
09-30-2011, 09:08 PM
bless this!

*grabs crotch*

KevinD
10-02-2011, 02:13 AM
Bless you, praise the Lord, and btw, pass the ammo!

DemonGeminiX
10-02-2011, 02:39 AM
Dio vi benedica

Godfather
10-02-2011, 04:14 AM
At first I agreed this guy was a nut... but I saw an interview with this guy... he seems like your average teacher, and well liked by his kids too.

The media blew the story.... the kids made a game out of sneezing. One kids sneezes, and 20 kids in the class all say "god bless you" one after the next. After this, the sneezee thanks every student in the class individually, taking minutes. They're disrupting the classroom intentionally. Exactly the type of shit you expect from elementary school shits :lol:

While he did argue that 'bless you' is outdated, that is not why he banned it. All this rhetoric in response like "what's next, no saying thank you?" is ridiculous. This is just about discipline, something teachers are already restricted enough on.