PDA

View Full Version : PP, Scam, Scuzz (any other bodyshop guys) - check this out......

Goofy
02-22-2011, 07:47 PM
http://www.bmwblog.com/2009/10/01/bmw-m3-frozen-grey-metallic/

I'm fucking scared :lol: We do all the work for the local BMW dealership......... i do not want to be painting this :lol: How the fuck do you de-nib dirt spots? :lol:

I actually considered doing a matt black finish on a VW Golf GTI i had about 8 or 9 years ago then chickened out at the last minute :lol: Any of you ever done a full respray with matting agent?

redred
02-22-2011, 07:50 PM
is that the one on top gear last sunday goof? clarkson said it wasn't worth the extra money

Goofy
02-22-2011, 07:57 PM
is that the one on top gear last sunday goof? clarkson said it wasn't worth the extra money

Yep, saw Top Gear and thats why i had to have a google :thumbsup:

redred
02-22-2011, 08:07 PM
i did like it when they said the only way for the audi to get pass was to wait for the M3 driver to pull over to wipe bugs off :lol:

Noilly Pratt
02-22-2011, 08:07 PM
Well, if you do the BMW stuff, they've got to send you on a course. In Germany. In October *cough*fest*cough* on how to handle the new paint.:mrgreen:

Goofy
02-22-2011, 08:11 PM
Well, if you do the BMW stuff, they've got to send you on a course. In Germany. In October *cough*fest*cough* on how to handle the new paint.:mrgreen:

Yeah, i'm sure i can swing that :lol:

Pony
02-22-2011, 10:08 PM
Yea, looks like it would be fun to match the matte finish. plus, like you said Goof, better not get any dirt.

I'd be happy if I never had to work on another Merc, Jag, Audi or BMW ever again. My boss thinks it's some sort of status symbol to have those accounts. Us techs all lose our asses on them. Especially the Mercedes. *mumbles about the fucking engineers*

Yt Trash
02-22-2011, 10:27 PM
I've done the Sem Hot Rod Black all over resprays.

http://i.imgur.com/CKU2v.jpg
Not the car I painted, but it's the finish...
http://i.imgur.com/wvlpN.jpg

It's not as hard as it seems, although you do have to live with the dirt and nibs, just don't run it. It takes 24 hours to fully cure without forced drying, and when I say this, you can't even pull it out of the booth,cause it don't tack up. All I did after it was dry was run a tack rag over it and it pulled the head off the big stuff.

Yea, looks like it would be fun to match the matte finish. plus, like you said Goof, better not get any dirt.

I'd be happy if I never had to work on another Merc, Jag, Audi or BMW ever again. My boss thinks it's some sort of status symbol to have those accounts. Us techs all lose our asses on them. Especially the Mercedes. *mumbles about the fucking engineers*

I can do without the Lexus, They sure like using them 3 stage pearls. there's never enough money on them.

Pony
02-22-2011, 11:07 PM
I can do without the Lexus, They sure like using them 3 stage pearls. there's never enough money on them.

Yea, at least I'm body only now, not combo or paint. That's why I hate the mercedes though, every model, every year is completely re engineered. We had 4 in the shop the other day and they're all completely different. They just make them complicated only for the sake of saying that they're engineering masterpieces. Totally not needed and in no way makes the cars "better" just more of a pain in the ass and more expensive.

Tank
02-23-2011, 10:11 AM
so BMW have decided to paint that finish on, not go down the same route as Ford have with the Focus RS500 of having 3M matt Wrapping?

i'm not a bodyshop or painter so dont really know much, BUT i would have thought the wrap would have been much easier? surely its easier to change the wrap after an accident, the panels under are just standard black?? :dunno: and you get extra paint protection with the wrap, no need to pull over to wipe the bugs off :)

but good luck with that Goof, if your lucky then Cocks in their M3's will have seen Top Gear and gone for a standard one . . . . but then again they have an M3 so will want the extra Cockpoints that matte finish and performance pack will give . . . . . even tho its no good ;)

Goofy
02-24-2011, 09:29 PM
I've done the Sem Hot Rod Black all over resprays.

http://i.imgur.com/CKU2v.jpg
Not the car I painted, but it's the finish...
http://i.imgur.com/wvlpN.jpg

It's not as hard as it seems, although you do have to live with the dirt and nibs, just don't run it. It takes 24 hours to fully cure without forced drying, and when I say this, you can't even pull it out of the booth,cause it don't tack up. All I did after it was dry was run a tack rag over it and it pulled the head off the big stuff.

What happens once you've washed it a few times? I'd have thought patches of it would start to shine :-k It does look pretty damn cool though....... wish id done it on the Golf :lol:

Yt Trash
02-24-2011, 11:12 PM
What happens once you've washed it a few times? I'd have thought patches of it would start to shine :-k It does look pretty damn cool though....... wish id done it on the Golf :lol:

Nothing. It has a hardener, and it's UV rated so it doesn't change at all. It was really weird to spray it first time, and found out the hard way that it does take a long time to dry. Even down here in middle of summer. Normally I can spray a car using a warm weather Hardener and still be able to pull it out of booth within an hour or so, with this stuff, it doesn't tack up for atleast 5-6 hours. I have since done some racing stripes on cars with it, and learned from our mistakes.

fricnjay
10-01-2011, 09:29 PM
When all this matte black started popping up I started offering matte black vinyl wraps on cars. It looks great with no dirt or nibs and costs about the same. Plus if a panel gets scratched we can just rewrap that panel. Its a pretty damn good idea if you ask me.