PDA

View Full Version : Pennsylvania woman sues Wal-Mart over 2 cents, wins

Teh One Who Knocks
09-30-2011, 09:51 PM
The Associated Press

http://i.imgur.com/vm5c6.jpg

A judge says Wal-Mart must pay up for overpricing sausages by 2 cents.

Consumer activist Mary Bach was awarded $100 in damages and $80 in court costs today, the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports.

Bach, of Murrysville, says sausages she purchased last month in Delmont were listed at 98 cents, but she was charged $1 at checkout. The clerk refunded the difference and noted the error, Bach says.

But when she went back to the store six days later she was again charged $1, though the shelf price was still 98 cents. Bach says the overcharges happen far too often. Wal-Mart says new packaging was to blame.

Wal-Mart spokesman Greg Rossiter says the company tried to refund the money to Bach, but she refused. He says Wal-Mart respectfully disagrees with the decision, and is considering its options.

Export District Judge Charles Conway agreed with Bach's allegation of unfair trade practices.

Hal-9000
09-30-2011, 10:12 PM
So she must have initially spent 80 dollars getting this before a judge for her 2 cents...after being refunded the 2 cents.

The facepalm tag is too good for her :hand:

Teh One Who Knocks
09-30-2011, 10:18 PM
This story shows everything that's wrong with the American legal system :|

JoeyB
09-30-2011, 10:34 PM
Actually it shows everything that is right...she was not out for a big reward nor did she win one...she was trying to bring attention to a systematic overcharging problem at wal-mart and she succeeded. It is not unheard of that companies do this and it is illegal. She brought attention to the issue and will raise awareness of the practice, which will make other customers pay more attention and also make that store more likely to be careful.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-30-2011, 10:37 PM
No, of course you are right, what was I thinking? We should sue anyone and everyone for absolutely every perceived wrong that we face every day. Even when restitution was offered/made. Especially over something as egregiously upsetting as being over charged 2 cents and then being offered a refund for it when the mistake was pointed out...corporate bastards! :x

That's what America is all about :tup:

JoeyB
09-30-2011, 10:50 PM
No, of course you are right, what was I thinking? We should sue anyone and everyone for absolutely every perceived wrong that we face every day. Even when restitution was offered/made. Especially over something as egregiously upsetting as being over charged 2 cents and then being offered a refund for it when the mistake was pointed out...corporate bastards! :x

That's what America is all about :tup:

She did take the refund, the first time. It was only when she went back days later and they were still doing this that she sued. And she did not sue for profit, she sued to make a point.

This was perfectly valid.

Look, if she had claimed 'mental distress' and went for cash, I would agree with you and call bullshit. This was about making a point over something that is actually far more common than you may realize.

Hal-9000
09-30-2011, 10:59 PM
She did take the refund, the first time. It was only when she went back days later and they were still doing this that she sued. And she did not sue for profit, she sued to make a point.

This was perfectly valid.

Look, if she had claimed 'mental distress' and went for cash, I would agree with you and call bullshit. This was about making a point over something that is actually far more common than you may realize.

Yes but putting a finer point to it.Why didn't she take it to the paper or the local news? She instigated a trial for the issue, bunging up an already overworked legal system.I think the value of the perceived loss plays a big part in this story.If it was 200 dollars on a piece of furniture for example, and she didn't recognize the overcharge...

I may know what you're thinking Joe, that the value shouldn't matter, it's the principle.Creating a court case out of 2 cents seems to be an abuse of the system in my eyes.

deebakes
09-30-2011, 11:53 PM
:suicide: