PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul rejects al-Awlaki killing, says it’s ‘sad’ Americans accept ‘assassinating’

Teh One Who Knocks
10-01-2011, 02:13 PM
By Rachel Rose Hartman | The Ticket

http://i.imgur.com/uWRGO.jpg

Politicians across the political spectrum, including President Obama, on Friday hailed the killing of Yemeni-American radical cleric Anwar al-Awlaki as a victory for the United States and a blow to Al Qaeda. But Ron Paul took a different stance.

"I don't think that's a good way to deal with our problems," Paul, a Texas congressman and antiwar presidential candidate, said of the targeted killing during an interview with MSNBC. "Al-Awlaki was born here, he is an American citizen. He was never tried or charged for any crimes. No one knows if he killed anybody. We know he might have been associated with the underwear bomber. But, if the American people accept this blindly and casually that we now have an accepted practice of the president assassinating people who he thinks are bad guys, I think it's sad."

As for his feelings on Osama bin Laden, Paul said the circumstances were different.

Asked if al-Awlaki's death was a victory for President Obama, Paul replied, "Let's hope not."

samarchepas
10-01-2011, 02:24 PM
Does he EVER say anything intelligent?!? American Citizen? yes but it threatened of killing thousands of other americans himself and was part of a criminal organisation...he gave up on his "American rights"

Teh One Who Knocks
10-01-2011, 02:27 PM
Does he EVER say anything intelligent?!? American Citizen? yes but it threatened of killing thousands of other americans himself and was part of a criminal organisation...he gave up on his "American rights"

What's sad about Ron Paul is, he has a lot of good ideas about a lot of things, but he cancels all that out by saying crap like this.

PorkChopSandwiches
10-01-2011, 03:02 PM
"Al-Awlaki was born here, he is an American citizen. He was never tried or charged for any crimes. No one knows if he killed anybody. We know he might have been associated with the underwear bomber. But, if the American people accept this blindly and casually that we now have an accepted practice of the president assassinating people who he thinks are bad guys, I think it's sad."

So you guys are fine with killing Americans without a trial? Thats his point. :roll:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-01-2011, 03:07 PM
So you guys are fine with killing Americans without a trial? Thats his point. :roll:

Yeah, because all he did was something similar to robbing a bank or mugging someone, right? :roll:

I don't care where the fuck someone is born, declare war on the United States and get a hellfire missile up your ass or a bullet in your head...couldn't happen to a better person.

Deepsepia
10-01-2011, 03:17 PM
What's sad about Ron Paul is, he has a lot of good ideas about a lot of things, but he cancels all that out by saying crap like this.

Ron Paul has a principled, philosophical position. He doesn't change the position because it's inconvenient . . . He really does present the "null hypothesis" for any political question, and we need that.

I suspect it's better for the country to have him in the debate, than to have him govern.

I certainly am happy to have al-Awlaki dead, but he (and one of the others killed) were US citizens, and at the level of principle, you do have to ask, "under what power could the US kill US citizens?"

Me, I'd say that folks who make war on the US should be stripped of their citizenship

Teh One Who Knocks
10-01-2011, 03:23 PM
I suspect it's better for the country to have him in the debate, than to have him govern.

I agree 100%

I certainly am happy to have al-Awlaki dead, but he (and one of the others killed) were US citizens, and at the level of principle, you do have to ask, "under what power could the US kill US citizens?"

In this case and every case where an American declares war against the United States (or other ally we are fighting with)

Me, I'd say that folks who make war on the US should be stripped of their citizenship

To me, you have already given up your rights as an American the second you declare war against the USA. You can't advocate the death of Americans, help recruit people to specifically kill Americans, and help draw up plans to carry out the attacks and then hide behind the US Constitution. Anything else (as far as stripping citizenship) is simply a formality.

Shady
10-01-2011, 05:18 PM

I was watching the daily show and jon stewart put this best. He say a lot of things that people agree with and then he just takes it one step too far.

Arkady Renko
10-04-2011, 11:20 AM

it's a highly problematic call to make, no doubt about it. But let's not forget that there are hundreds like al-Awlaki out there, it doesn't seem appropriate to have each and everyone apprehended by an extraction team in order to have them stand trial first.

PorkChopSandwiches
10-04-2011, 03:43 PM
it's a highly problematic call to make, no doubt about it. But let's not forget that there are hundreds like al-Awlaki out there, it doesn't seem appropriate to have each and everyone apprehended by an extraction team in order to have them stand trial first.

Well, thats the way the law is setup. Which is his point. He thinks the government should follow, not do whatever they feel like. If they want to change the law for something like this, then they can, and wont be breaking it when they do something like this.

Acid Trip
10-04-2011, 03:47 PM
Well, thats the way the law is setup. Which is his point. He thinks the government should follow, not do whatever they feel like. If they want to change the law for something like this, then they can, and wont be breaking it when they do something like this.

Ding ding ding! Someone gets it.

PorkChopSandwiches
10-04-2011, 03:51 PM
I love how people are so ready to give away or rights/freedom if they decide its ok in a particular situation. :roll:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-04-2011, 03:51 PM

Call up the NYPD, we're sending them to Yemen :tup:

Acid Trip
10-04-2011, 04:04 PM
I love how people are so ready to give away or rights/freedom if they decide its ok in a particular situation. :roll:

Exactly. Hypocrites are everywhere. People need to ask themselves this question: Are you for the Constitution and the rights it provides you or are you against it?

You can't expect your rights to be protected on one hand (Free speech, owning firearms, etc) and then abuse some other persons rights (like due process) just because of the situation.

Most terrorists don't deserve a trial because they are not American citizens. This terrorist happened to be an American which makes the rules different.

The Constitution was created to protect us from the government, plain and simple. In this case the government bypassed the rules and killed one of it's own. Who's next? If you can get away with something once there's a good chance you will try it again.

Acid Trip
10-04-2011, 04:06 PM
Call up the NYPD, we're sending them to Yemen :tup:

Not necessary. Just renounce his citizenship (for treason or whatever) and go after him as a non-citizen. Very easily done if they had wanted to.