PDA

View Full Version : Man rips out own eyes in church

Teh One Who Knocks
10-03-2011, 12:23 PM
The Sun

A CHURCHGOER ripped out his eyeballs as a priest gave Sunday mass yesterday.

British-born Aldo Bianchini, 46, stood up calmly and tore them out with his bare hands then collapsed in a pool of blood.

His mother tried to help him as the priest called for help. But surgeons were unable to save his sight.

He told doctors in Viareggio, Italy, he "heard voices" telling him to rip out his eyes. Dr Gino Barbacci said: "To do that requires superhuman strength."

Priest Lorenzo Tanganelli, who continued his service after the horror, said: "I've never seen so much blood."

In the Bible, Jesus says: "If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell."

Softdreamer
10-03-2011, 12:29 PM
I get that feeling sometimes when I get Hal's emails..

PorkChopSandwiches
10-03-2011, 03:37 PM
now this kind of activity would get me into church

Acid Trip
10-03-2011, 04:02 PM
now this kind of activity would get me into church

No kidding. Improv at church? Sign me up!

PorkChopSandwiches
10-03-2011, 04:12 PM
on a side note, I usually want to rip my eyes out when Im stuck in church, and jab pencils in my ears

Hal-9000
10-03-2011, 04:28 PM
I wonder what possessed him to do that??

:dance:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-03-2011, 04:38 PM
:tumble:

Hal-9000
10-03-2011, 05:02 PM
:tumble: :corn:

PorkChopSandwiches
10-03-2011, 05:03 PM
:dance:

Godfather
10-03-2011, 06:02 PM
I honestly can't believe any human could find the strength to rip out their own eyes... that's fuggin' horrifying.

Hal-9000
10-03-2011, 06:06 PM
you gotta wonder...we all see the movies about demonic possession and get creeped out.Is there a shred of truth as in, was this guy possessed and the entity within helped him with the ocular removal?

DemonGeminiX
10-03-2011, 06:31 PM
you gotta wonder...we all see the movies about demonic possession and get creeped out.Is there a shred of truth as in, was this guy possessed and the entity within helped him with the ocular removal?

Maybe if he was "possessed" by PCP or some other recreational pharmaceutical with similar effects.

Muddy
10-03-2011, 06:53 PM
The lord works in mysterious ways...

PorkChopSandwiches
10-03-2011, 06:59 PM
:lol:

Hal-9000
10-03-2011, 09:17 PM
Maybe if he was "possessed" by PCP or some other recreational pharmaceutical with similar effects.

You don't believe in actual demonic possession, Demon?

JoeyB
10-03-2011, 10:35 PM

I think he is suffering from some mental illness. But, speaking as a Christian, I have felt motivated to do things in a way that others would look at and judge me as not experiencing the will of God, but rather being ill. It is a common situation...those of deep faith feel connected, those of no faith cannot see it as anything but a flaw.

So, who knows. All I can ultimately say is that to my perception of faith, such a violent, sudden act seems to stem more from something other than the guiding hand of God.

Do you Hal?

Hal-9000
10-03-2011, 10:42 PM
I've read a fair amount on the subject.There have been cases where the patient can not possibly do the things they do while under the influence of demonic possession.

There was a bricklayer who had a grade 6 education, worked blue collar his whole life and brought up a family.Living the dream so to speak.In a priest's presence, his forehead swelled to gigantic proportions and even stranger still,
he could speak Latin fluently.He had personal knowledge of the attending physicians and the priest, without ever having met any of them before.

The Catholic church supposedly has sealed cases of actual possessions and subsequent exorcisms...and the cases have been first vetted by psychiatrists and MD's before getting referred to the church.

DemonGeminiX
10-03-2011, 10:42 PM

Long story short, not really. Given that we understand the effects of brain damage and mental disorders these days, most previously seemingly inexplicable things could probably be diagnosed quite quickly and easily by the highly trained eye.

But the Exorcist is one of my favorite movies of all time.

JoeyB
10-03-2011, 10:58 PM
I've read a fair amount on the subject.There have been cases where the patient can not possibly do the things they do while under the influence of demonic possession.

There was a bricklayer who had a grade 6 education, worked blue collar his whole life and brought up a family.Living the dream so to speak.In a priest's presence, his forehead swelled to gigantic proportions and even stranger still,
he could speak Latin fluently.He had personal knowledge of the attending physicians and the priest, without ever having met any of them before.

The Catholic church supposedly has sealed cases of actual possessions and subsequent exorcisms...and the cases have been first vetted by psychiatrists and MD's before getting referred to the church.

This is something I've always wondered about. Why the Catholic church would have people trained to deal with possession if that problem did not exist?

DemonGeminiX
10-03-2011, 11:14 PM
Probably because they didn't have enough information to determine what was really going on until very recently.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but think back to all the cases you've heard or read about regarding possessions... how much visually documented evidence do you have of the grandiose claims made in these cases? I mean, a lot of this stuff sounds really embellished in an epic way. Yet, the few pictures I've seen of supposedly recently possessed people look like they were abusing themselves and/or malnourished, and that's it. I saw a TV program on it a while ago and a supposedly possessed dude just looked like he was acting like a douchebag for the sake of the camera.

I don't know. I don't claim to know everything, and I've got a pretty wild system of beliefs. Maybe there is something else out there that can affect people in this fashion. Just because I haven't seen it, doesn't mean I can prove it doesn't exist. I can't. I would rather just be cautious to declare anything of that nature, given what we know about mental instability these days and not subscribe so readily to the fantastical. You know... Occam's Razor and all that.

No offense to anyone.

JoeyB
10-03-2011, 11:17 PM
I've got a pretty wild system of beliefs.

No offense to anyone.

Why would we be offended?

And, curiosity compels me to ask what your 'wild system of beliefs' is.

DemonGeminiX
10-03-2011, 11:22 PM
Why would we be offended?

And, curiosity compels me to ask what your 'wild system of beliefs' is.

I was kind of treading all over Hal's posts. I don't want him to think I'm disrespecting him is all.

I don't know. What I believe can be wildly conflicting from time to time. I'm just gonna leave it at that for now.

SmoothBob
10-04-2011, 09:04 AM
I didnae think u could pull ur own eye's out. Found out recently they dont change in size either. Everything grows from when ur a baby, except ur eye's, kinda creepy in a way..

Arkady Renko
10-04-2011, 09:55 AM
I bet the priest was blindsided by this one.

DemonGeminiX
10-04-2011, 10:22 AM
:rimshot:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-04-2011, 10:53 AM
I bet the priest was blindsided by this one.

Eye see what you did there