PDA

View Full Version : Sherri Shepherd Blasts Barbara Walters over N-Word Use on The View

Teh One Who Knocks
10-04-2011, 05:27 PM
By Liz Raftery - People Magazine

http://i.imgur.com/84S0k.jpg

Tempers flared on Monday's episode of The View as Sherri Shepherd chastised Barbara Walters for using the N-word in a newsy context.

Whoopi Goldberg used the word first on Monday's broadcast while quoting presidential candidate Herman Cain. Walters repeated it in context of their conversation, though she told her co-hosts, "It's very hard for me to say. … The fact that I just said it now gives me chills."

The co-hosts were discussing the name of a hunting camp used by Republican presidential candidate Rick Perry. But when Walters said the word, she drew a sharp rebuke from Shepherd.

"I didn't like the way you said it," Shepherd told her co-host. "I don't know if it's a semantics thing, but it's something that goes through my body."

Shepherd has said publicly that she's been the victim of racially-motivated bullying.

"When I heard you say it, it was fine," Shepherd told Goldberg. "You said it a different way."

ABC repeatedly bleeped the word during the women's discussion.

Walters asked Shepherd point-blank if her objection was because Walters was white.

"Yeah, it's something about hearing you say it," Shepherd said. "I don't like it when you use the word. … When you say it, it's a different connotation."

Hal-9000
10-04-2011, 06:01 PM
and there it is...what's wrong with America...

if a black person drops the N-bomb it's palatable for the ears
if a white person uses it in the same context, it's a horrible thing

this is a 400 year old hearing problem I think...

Teh One Who Knocks
10-04-2011, 06:08 PM
and there it is...what's wrong with America...

if a black person drops the N-bomb it's palatable for the ears
if a white person uses it in the same context, it's a horrible thing

this is a 400 year old hearing problem I think...

Exactly...racism is alive and well in 21st century America because the minorities refuse to let it die.

PorkChopSandwiches
10-04-2011, 06:11 PM
http://troll.me/images/angry-samuel-l-jackson/nigga-what-the-fuck-you-just-say.jpg

JoeyB
10-04-2011, 07:47 PM
Walters asked Shepherd point-blank if her objection was because Walters was white.

"Yeah, it's something about hearing you say it," Shepherd said. "I don't like it when you use the word. … When you say it, it's a different connotation."

Admittance that it's racism...on her part. Fuck you Sherri!

Muddy
10-04-2011, 08:40 PM
Black people arent capable of racism.. [-(

JoeyB
10-04-2011, 08:50 PM
Black people arent capable of racism.. [-(

That's racist.

Hal-9000
10-04-2011, 08:53 PM
Is Sherri the tempting Negress on the far right?

Muddy
10-04-2011, 08:55 PM
Barbara should send her packing... Oh wait.. She can't without being labeled a racist.

Hal-9000
10-04-2011, 09:15 PM
got a black guy here at work who's called me cracker so many times I should have the word Saltine branded on my ass...don't bother me a bit :lol:

Muddy
10-04-2011, 09:32 PM
Doesn't have quite the same connotation though Hal.. :lol:

JoeyB
10-04-2011, 10:13 PM

In a way it does.

Muddy
10-04-2011, 10:59 PM
In a way it does.

Not even close, Homer.... :lol:

Hal-9000
10-04-2011, 11:02 PM

I was watching The Shield (fictional cops in south LA) and they have a southern white guy cop.There's all sorts of racial slurs against Latinos and blacks...

He has this black dude in the interrogation room alone and he wants the black guy to get mad.So the white guy says - You are a n_gger!!!!

It's the way he said it and he knew the black guy would lose his cool....ya I know :lol:

Muddy
10-05-2011, 12:30 AM
It can be so crushing to some.. it's like the friggin Death ray...

JoeyB
10-05-2011, 05:24 AM
It can be so crushing to some.. it's like the friggin Death ray...

Not even close, Homer....

Teh One Who Knocks
10-05-2011, 12:08 PM

In a way it does.

Not even close, Homer.... :lol:

It doesn't have the same stigma as the N word, but calling a white person something meant to be derogatory is just the same as using the N word IMHO

JoeyB
10-05-2011, 09:49 PM
It doesn't have the same stigma as the N word, but calling a white person something meant to be derogatory is just the same as using the N word IMHO

I was just playing with muddygut.

But if you want to address it seriously, Lance is right. Intention is everything, if you intend offense, it is offensive.

Which to some degree is why blacks can use the term nigger freely amongst themselves...no offense intended and none dealt.

Which is also why Sherri should not be offended by Barbara using the term. Barbara was covering a legitimate news story, and even then was cautious in her approach to the word. What offense is there in that?

However, Sherri finds it distasteful when Barbara says it. I firmly believe this reveals an expectation of offense on her part...if a white person says nigger, she assumes offense. it reveals a racist attitude on her part.

Sherri is a racist.

That said, I shall now assume my normal position, mounting Stacy Keibler from behind...or umm, not being serious on the forum...

Pony
10-05-2011, 10:53 PM
I watched the video of this and Sherri was just spouting nonsense. Even Whoopi was defending Barbera. They were talking about the former name of Rick Perry's hunting camp (niggerhead). Whoopi said it too but when Barbera said it she started spouting off about how it's "different" when Whoopi says it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_HQ3yNPWl4