PDA

View Full Version : Steve Jobs Dies

Joebob034
10-05-2011, 11:48 PM
Apple Announces Former Apple CEO Steve Jobs Has Died

KTLA News

6:43 p.m. CDT, October 5, 2011
CUPERTINO, Calif. -- Apple announced Wednesday that former Apple CEO Steve Jobs has died.

Jobs stepped down as CEO in August, saying he could no longer handle the job.

In January, Jobs, a pancreatic cancer survivor, took his second medical leave of absence in two years, raising serious questions about his health and the leadership of a company.

Jobs, 55, has been instrumental in turning Apple into the dominant producer of portable music players, a leader in the smart phone business and, with the iPad, the inventor of a new category of modern tablet computers.

He is Apple's public face, its master showman and its savior since he returned in 1997 after a 12-year hiatus to rescue the company from financial ruin.

Investors in recent years have pinned much of their faith in the company on Jobs himself, sending shares tumbling on every bit of news or rumor of his ailing health.

"Steve's extraordinary vision and leadership saved Apple and guided it to its position as the world's most innovative and valuable technology company," said Art Levinson, Chairman of Genentech, on behalf of Apple's Board.

"Steve has made countless contributions to Apple's success, and he has attracted and inspired Apple's immensely creative employees and world class executive team. In his new role as Chairman of the Board, Steve will continue to serve Apple with his unique insights, creativity and inspiration."

deebakes
10-05-2011, 11:52 PM
:rip:

RBP
10-06-2011, 12:06 AM
wow, that was fast. so young @ 55.

deebakes
10-06-2011, 12:10 AM
So is apple now going to close? :(

PorkChopSandwiches
10-06-2011, 12:28 AM

MrsM
10-06-2011, 12:29 AM
Wow - 55 :rip:

deebakes
10-06-2011, 12:34 AM
He died? :shock:

Again? :shock:

:zombie:

Arkady Renko
10-06-2011, 12:43 AM
I wonder if they saved his mind on an iPhone 5 prototype?

PorkChopSandwiches
10-06-2011, 12:47 AM
Repost mcgullicutty

deebakes
10-06-2011, 12:48 AM
Probably the "white" version :-k

deebakes
10-06-2011, 12:49 AM
Repost mcgullicutty

:dance::cheerlead:

Godfather
10-06-2011, 02:47 AM
My dad's age, four children... RIP big guy :(

redred
10-06-2011, 07:15 AM

what ever you think of apple product you have to admit he was good at his job(no pun intended)

deebakes
10-06-2011, 11:41 AM
Might not have been the first to do things, but it seems like their product help push several products we almost have ( even derivatives of) to the people

Muddy
10-06-2011, 12:18 PM
The minute they made this announce all 200 of my news channels on Fios were all over it..

RIP Steve... You were a pioneer and helped bring a lot of people together..

Hal-9000
10-06-2011, 06:44 PM
wow, that was fast. so young @ 55.

The minute they made this announce all 200 of my news channels on Fios were all over it..

RIP Steve... You were a pioneer and helped bring a lot of people together..

He had a form of pancreatic cancer and at one point got a liver transplant...just goes to show you that you can be one of the richest guys in the world and that shit still takes you :(

Even if you didn't use or like his stuff, he was a pioneer in marketing and ideas :thumbsup:

Joebob034
10-06-2011, 06:45 PM

what ever you think of apple product you have to admit he was good at his job(no pun intended)

I was gonna say, I'm not an Apple fan but you can't deny his impact on the world

Muddy
10-06-2011, 06:51 PM
just goes to show you that you can be one of the richest guys in the world and that shit still takes you :(

At the end of the day we all have to face death.

SmoothBob
10-06-2011, 06:53 PM

Im actually a bit gutted, sad day, man was a visionary, not many of his type come around very often. Been readin a lot about him today, some moving memorials about on line..

PorkChopSandwiches
10-06-2011, 06:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5aY6rMbOBo

Hal-9000
10-06-2011, 06:59 PM

'specially if you go in the bathroom after PCS :|

PorkChopSandwiches
10-06-2011, 07:04 PM
:willie:

Hal-9000
10-06-2011, 07:10 PM
I know it's a serious thread and a sad day....we needed a little levity

(and Porky needs less fiber :x)

Muddy
10-06-2011, 07:15 PM
Porky is one of the fattest dudes I know....

PorkChopSandwiches
10-06-2011, 07:20 PM
you mean phat

Loser
10-06-2011, 07:28 PM
Sorry, but he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in 2003, did absolutely nothing about it disregarding dr's opinions, then finally in 2004 had surgery for it.

This shouldn't have come as a surprise.

Just my opinion.

*ducks and runs for cover*

Muddy
10-06-2011, 07:30 PM
What a dick...

Loser
10-06-2011, 07:33 PM
No...I'm an asshole :lol:

Acid Trip
10-06-2011, 07:41 PM

Like this?

http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/jdu/lowres/jdun528l.jpg

Muddy
10-06-2011, 07:45 PM

No you are a LOSER... :razz:

Loser
10-06-2011, 07:47 PM
Like this?

http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/jdu/lowres/jdun528l.jpg

:hand:

I at least have a nose...

:nana:

Loser
10-06-2011, 07:47 PM
No you are a LOSER... :razz:

I even have my own smiley...:loser:

Muddy
10-06-2011, 07:49 PM
Alright, I have to do some work.. *sigh*

Hal-9000
10-06-2011, 07:49 PM
Porky is one of the fattest dudes I know....

nawww...I've seen Porky's pics and I've dated larger girls :thumbsup:

Loser
10-06-2011, 07:55 PM
nawww...I've seen Porky's pics and I've dated larger girls :thumbsup:

Admit it, it was porky in a wig and pushup bra... ;)

PorkChopSandwiches
10-06-2011, 07:57 PM
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/1669/87892-109455-petunia-pig_large.jpg

Loser
10-06-2011, 08:12 PM
:lmao:

SmoothBob
10-06-2011, 08:17 PM

Yeah, he knew he's was on last orders for a while but made this speech..

Commencement speech at Stanford University, 2005
Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything - all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.
Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice.
Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle. As with all matters of the heart, you'll know when you find it. And, like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. So keep looking until you find it. Don't settle.

PorkChopSandwiches
10-06-2011, 08:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5aY6rMbOBo

Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything - all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.
Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice.
Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle. As with all matters of the heart, you'll know when you find it. And, like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. So keep looking until you find it. Don't settle.

;)

SmoothBob
10-06-2011, 08:26 PM
Sorry, but he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in 2003, did absolutely nothing about it disregarding dr's opinions, then finally in 2004 had surgery for it.

This shouldn't have come as a surprise.

Just my opinion.

*ducks and runs for cover*

The cancer he had is one of the worst u can get, it has one the lowest survival rate and even caught early enough not many can have the op because of where it is and how difficult the op is, hell ur on a survival rate to just survive the op..

For pancreatic cancer:

For all stages combined, the 1-year relative survival rate is 25%, and the 5-year survival is estimated as less than 5% to 6%.
For local disease, the 5-year survival is approximately 20%.
For locally advanced and for metastatic disease, which collectively represent over 80% to 85-90% of individuals, the median survival is about 10 and 6 months, respectively. Without active treatment, metastatic pancreatic cancer has a median survival of 3–5 months; complete remission is rare.

Muddy
10-06-2011, 08:27 PM

What a great message...

Loser
10-06-2011, 11:23 PM
The cancer he had is one of the worst u can get, it has one the lowest survival rate and even caught early enough not many can have the op because of where it is and how difficult the op is, hell ur on a survival rate to just survive the op..

For pancreatic cancer:

For all stages combined, the 1-year relative survival rate is 25%, and the 5-year survival is estimated as less than 5% to 6%.
For local disease, the 5-year survival is approximately 20%.
For locally advanced and for metastatic disease, which collectively represent over 80% to 85-90% of individuals, the median survival is about 10 and 6 months, respectively. Without active treatment, metastatic pancreatic cancer has a median survival of 3–5 months; complete remission is rare.

I understand all that, but he didn't just refuse surgery, he refused ALL forms of possible treatments, which is asinine and reckless.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-06-2011, 11:34 PM
I was gonna say, I'm not an Apple fan but you can't deny his impact on the world

Sorry that he died, but I would hardly call someone that developed things for style over substance and sold them for 10X what they were worth a 'visionary'

All the people on the news fawning all over him like he was Einstein makes me wanna vomit

Loser
10-06-2011, 11:35 PM
Sorry that he died, but I would hardly call someone that developed things for style over substance and sold them for 10X what they were worth a 'visionary'

All the people on the news fawning all over him like he was Einstein makes me wanna vomit

I just remember back in the day when he swore up and down and backwards how apple hardware was better than intel, then apple switched to intel hardware :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-06-2011, 11:37 PM
I just remember back in the day when he swore up and down and backwards how apple hardware was better than intel, then apple switched to intel hardware :lol:

Yup, and they tried to downplay the whole thing because far be it for anyone at crApple to admit that they're wrong about something :rolleyes:

DemonGeminiX
10-06-2011, 11:42 PM

In the early days, he was very instrumental in developing personal computers in competition with M$. You could say the same thing about smartphones. If nothing else, he helped pushed competitive technology to new heights. Who knows where we'd be if he was never around to create Apple with Wozniak.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-06-2011, 11:43 PM
I'm sure we would have gotten by just fine ;)

DemonGeminiX
10-06-2011, 11:44 PM
I'm sure we would have gotten by just fine ;)

No, we'd probably be stuck with early 90s technology. ;)

Teh One Who Knocks
10-06-2011, 11:47 PM
Yes, because nobody else in the world would have come up with anything :rolleyes:

DemonGeminiX
10-06-2011, 11:49 PM
Yes, because nobody else in the world would have come up with anything :rolleyes:

Nobody did. Steve Jobs did. You don't have to like the guy's company, you don't have to like the stuff he came out with... I don't either. But saying he didn't have a significant impact on the tech field is complete foolishness.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-06-2011, 11:59 PM
Then the conspiracy theorists must be right....we never really ever did make it to the moon since Jobs wasn't there to help :shock:

:sarcasm:

Loser
10-07-2011, 12:06 AM
Nobody did. Steve Jobs AND Wozniak did. You don't have to like the guy's company, you don't have to like the stuff he came out with... I don't either. But saying he didn't have a significant impact on the tech field is complete foolishness.

Fixed. ;)

DemonGeminiX
10-07-2011, 12:25 AM
Fixed. ;)

Sorry. I forgot the Woz.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-07-2011, 12:31 AM
Sorry. I forgot the Woz.

http://i.imgur.com/Aw96N.jpg

Loser
10-07-2011, 12:32 AM
Sorry. I forgot the Woz.

Almost every news article I've read about all this has forgot about Woz.

Apparently Jobs created apple by himself and was some sort of godly genius :lol:

DemonGeminiX
10-07-2011, 12:35 AM
Almost every news article I've read about all this has forgot about Woz.

Apparently Jobs created apple by himself and was some sort of godly genius :lol:

They always give credit to the man in the spotlight. Pay no mind to the man behind the curtain.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-07-2011, 12:39 AM
They always give credit to the man in the spotlight. Pay no mind to the man behind the curtain.

deebakes
10-07-2011, 01:07 AM
Wacca wacca :tup:

Muddy
10-07-2011, 01:11 AM
Wozniak will get his day... (even though he was no where the visionary Jobs was)

deebakes
10-07-2011, 01:13 AM
:rip: Wozniak

Muddy
10-07-2011, 01:15 AM
Did you just shit on my sandwich mother focker?

DemonGeminiX
10-07-2011, 01:16 AM

[-(

I said the Woz, not the Foz.

deebakes
10-07-2011, 01:21 AM
Did you just shit on my sandwich mother focker?

:dance: :cheerlead:

Joebob034
10-07-2011, 05:16 AM
Apple must be disappointed that its CEO's battery life only lasted 70% as long as their competitors. But it was the lightest.

8-[

Godfather
10-07-2011, 07:52 AM
Rant time... I'm already so sick of all the phoney mourning on Facebook by my hippy friends addicted to Apple.

Bunch of hypocrites... Jobs didn't do shit for philanthropy or the world. Said he'd give when he could afford to, and never looked back. Shut down apple's corporate philanthropy, used near-slave labor in China, shot down Buffet and Gates asking him to pledge his wealth after he died.

I'm not saying I'd do any of that better than him... but all these bleeding-heart hippies who think Jobs is a hero to the world didn't bat an eye when ~150 students and their parent in Somalia died hours before waiting to see if they'd be given scholarships. One dude in a turtle neck dies and you'd think the world was ending on Facebook. And besides, Jobs wasn't an inovative genious, he just found a way to market inferior products at grossly inflated prices. I will say though, for that, he deserves some awe.

Still, I feel like I need to research Jobs more, because I just know he wasn't the guy all these people are making him out as...

Teh One Who Knocks
10-07-2011, 10:56 AM
[-(

I said the Woz, not the Foz.

http://i.imgur.com/HYH0z.jpg

:-k

DemonGeminiX
10-07-2011, 11:11 AM
That's the Fonz, not the Foz.

[-(

Teh One Who Knocks
10-07-2011, 11:14 AM
Rant time... I'm already so sick of all the phoney mourning on Facebook by my hippy friends addicted to Apple.

Bunch of hypocrites... Jobs didn't do shit for philanthropy or the world. Said he'd give when he could afford to, and never looked back. Shut down apple's corporate philanthropy, used near-slave labor in China, shot down Buffet and Gates asking him to pledge his wealth after he died.

I'm not saying I'd do any of that better than him... but all these bleeding-heart hippies who think Jobs is a hero to the world didn't bat an eye when ~150 students and their parent in Somalia died hours before waiting to see if they'd be given scholarships. One dude in a turtle neck dies and you'd think the world was ending on Facebook. And besides, Jobs wasn't an inovative genious, he just found a way to market inferior products at grossly inflated prices. I will say though, for that, he deserves some awe.

Still, I feel like I need to research Jobs more, because I just know he wasn't the guy all these people are making him out as...

Nope, you're spot on dude. Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, all the fawning over this guy on the news just makes me wanna vomit. He didn't solve world hunger, bring about world peace, or cure cancer. He built tech products for vain people and vastly overcharged them for it. And as you said, for someone with his wealth/resources, he was a tightwad that didn't give anything away.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-07-2011, 11:15 AM
That's the Fonz, not the Foz.

[-(

It's so confusing :(

DemonGeminiX
10-07-2011, 11:21 AM
It's so confusing :(

:empathy:

There, there... I know...

Acid Trip
10-07-2011, 02:46 PM
Nope, you're spot on dude. Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, all the fawning over this guy on the news just makes me wanna vomit. He didn't solve world hunger, bring about world peace, or cure cancer. He built tech products for vain people and vastly overcharged them for it. And as you said, for someone with his wealth/resources, he was a tightwad that didn't give anything away.

Godfather and Lance are correct. I read an article yesterday where the author bashed Bill Gates for stepping down from Microsoft so early in his life and that Jobs was a some sort of hero for staying with Apple.

Gates stepped down to run his multi-billion dollar CHARITY you fucking retard! How is creating gadgets anywhere near charity work?

Loser
10-07-2011, 02:59 PM
http://chzmemebase.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/internet-memes-apple-does-not-support-flash.jpg

At least I'm going to hell laughing. :lmao:

samarchepas
10-07-2011, 03:47 PM
http://chzmemebase.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/internet-memes-apple-does-not-support-flash.jpg

See you there! :lmao:

Godfather
10-07-2011, 04:20 PM

Godfather and Lance are correct. I read an article yesterday where the author bashed Bill Gates for stepping down from Microsoft so early in his life and that Jobs was a some sort of hero for staying with Apple.

Gates stepped down to turn his multi-billion dollar CHARITY you fucking retard! How is creating gadgets anywhere near charity work?

Interesting, good stuff here. I love Gates, just spending his life finding good ways to give all his money away

Glad to know I'm not the only one who is rolling their eyes. Thanks boys. More fuel for the fire when I get sick enough of their online vigil to start shit :lol:

Acid Trip
10-07-2011, 04:23 PM

:rofl: Count me in for hell! I almost fell out of my damn chair.

traveler
10-07-2011, 04:38 PM
I can only agree with those who feel Jobs' legacy is vastly overblown. 50 years from now, how many will remember the oh-so-very expensive i "insert trademark name here" device they fawned over in 2011? I mean, really...

Godfather
10-08-2011, 01:16 AM
God I hope it doesn't take 50 years for people to get over Apple :lol:

Muddy
10-08-2011, 12:12 PM
Yesss.... YESSSSS....!!!! Let the hate flow through you...

http://blogmeisterusa.mu.nu/archives/emperor.jpg