PDA

View Full Version : Controversial "Is My Son Gay?" App Pulled from Android Marketplace After Protests

Teh One Who Knocks
10-06-2011, 09:06 PM
By Brennon Slattery, PCWorld

http://i.imgur.com/VtIR6.jpg

Google removed a controversial app from its Android Marketplace called "Is My Son Gay?" amid negative press and a petition of 37,692 signatures from the LGBT group AllOut.org.

The Android app was supposedly designed to "help" mothers determine whether or not their son is gay based on 20 homophobic questions that, according to the app's creator, Christophe de Baran, were meant to be satirical. The problem was that nobody laughed.

A Google spokesperson confirmed the removal of "Is My Son Gay?" with CNET, stating, "We remove apps that violate our policies." The questions, all 20 of which can be found on AllOut.org, relied on blatant gay stereotypes such as "Is he a fan of divas (Madonna, Britney Spears)?" and "Does he take a long time to do his hair?", and therefore could be seen as abusing the Android Market Developer Program's Policy on hate speech.

Is It Hate or Satire?

It goes without saying that smartphone apps can't determine one's sexual orientation, just as they can't eradicate pimples. Therefore, to most people, "Is My Son Gay?" was nothing more than a hateful lashing from a group of immature developers.

But did de Baran and his developers intend "Is My Son Gay?" to be plainly satirical? This question arose when the group wrote to the Huffington Post:

"This app was conceived with a playful approach. It is not based at all on scientific research... Through humor, 'Is My Son Gay?' and the forthcoming novel have the sole objective of toning down/improving the situation and helping mothers to accept their sons' homosexuality."

Note: If de Baran hoped that the app would promote the upcoming novel, he guessed right.

It's also worth mentioning that de Baran himself is openly gay, according to Queerty and Instinct Magazine, and has previously published a gay erotica book.

Even if the app was meant to use shock value as a conversation starter, "Is My Son Gay?" is not protected free speech; both because the developers are not American citizens and because the First Amendment does not apply to violations of a corporation's terms of service. Therefore, Google had a legal right to remove it from the Android Marketplace.

Muddy
10-06-2011, 09:37 PM
Wow... Google telling you what you can or cant have.. Guess the 'isheeple' aren't alone out there.. :rolleyes:

Hal-9000
10-06-2011, 10:08 PM
there's a great app to determine this called - ask him.....

JoeyB
10-06-2011, 10:29 PM
Well, is her son gay?

Hal-9000
10-06-2011, 10:35 PM
If he has shit on his dick, the 8 ball says - LIKELY :thumbsup:

JoeyB
10-06-2011, 10:40 PM
Do they have an 'am I gay' thread? I'd like to know if I am gay but my boyfriend won't tell me.

Hal-9000
10-06-2011, 10:43 PM
I work with an openly gay effeminate guy and use this line a lot when people ask me about him...

Do you know how I knew he was gay? I was sucking his cock in the bathroom and he tried to kiss me!!! fag!!! :x

JoeyB
10-06-2011, 10:48 PM
I work with an openly gay effeminate guy and use this line a lot when people ask me about him...

Do you know how I knew he was gay? I was sucking his cock in the bathroom and he tried to kiss me!!! fag!!! :x

Man to man kissing is pretty gay.

Nemowork Pt2
10-06-2011, 11:12 PM
Or Turkish!

Apparently these two things are different?

JoeyB
10-06-2011, 11:24 PM
Or Turkish!

Apparently these two things are different?

I had a friend who worked in the Peace Corp back in the early 90's. He was sent to Kenya. Tradition there dictates that men and women do not touch in public, to the extreme that at public events women will sit on one side and men the other.

There were some odd side effects of this, culturally speaking, one was that men held hands while walking together. Mind you, walking great distances was also commonplace.

My friend told me it took a little getting used to when every time he set off someplace with a local, they would instinctively reach out and take hold of his hand.

They also had some really cool attitudes as to kindness...if someone came to your house as a guest, and you let them in, you would see to their needs. It was expected. If you went to a persons home, they would feed you and give you water and even a place to sleep as a matter of course. And, if you had a car and picked a rider up, it was expected you would show them that same hospitality.