PDA

View Full Version : U.S. actions 'appall' family of slain al-Qaida blogger

Teh One Who Knocks
10-06-2011, 09:28 PM
By Tim Funk - The Charlotte Observer

The Charlotte family of Samir Khan, the al-Qaida propagandist killed in a U.S. airstrike Friday, ended its silence Wednesday night.

In a statement, the family cast the 25-year-old Khan as a "law-abiding" U.S. citizen who was assassinated by an American government that has not "contacted us with any news about the recovery of our son's remains (or) offered us any condolences."

"As a result," the family added, "we feel appalled by the indifference shown to us by our government."

Khan's family moved to Charlotte from New York in 2004. A year later, while a student at Central Piedmont Community College, the young Khan started a radical blog, which he wrote in the basement of his family's home in northeast Charlotte.

A few years ago, after media reports exposed his controversial blog, Khan moved to Yemen to produce "Inspire," an English-language magazine for al-Qaida. The magazine, which appeared online, ran articles such as "How to Build a Bomb in Your Mom's Kitchen." In one early edition, Khan wrote that "I am proud to be a traitor to America."

On Friday, he was killed along with radical cleric Anwar al-Awlaki.

Friday's drone attack is thought to be the first instance in which a U.S. citizen was tracked and killed based on secret intelligence and the president's say-so. Al-Awlaki was placed on the CIA "kill or capture" list by the Obama administration in April 2010 - the first American to be so targeted.

Al-Awlaki's death was the biggest success in the Obama administration's intensified campaign to take out al-Qaida's leadership since the May killing of Osama bin Laden in Pakistan. The pursuit of al-Awlaki and Friday's strike were directed by the same U.S. special unit that directed the Navy SEALs raid on bin Laden's hideout.

Al-Awlaki and his comrades were moving through a desert region east of Yemen's capital near the village of Khasaf when the drone struck, U.S. and Yemeni officials said.

In Wednesday's statement, Khan's family asserted that Samir Khan "never broke any law and was never implicated in any crime." Echoing some civil libertarians, who have questioned the decision to kill Khan and al-Awlaki - both U.S. citizens - the Khan family also raised these issues: "Was this style of execution the only solution? Why couldn't there have been a capture and trial? Where is the justice? As we mourn our son, we must ask these questions."

The family's statement was released through Jibril Hough, a spokesman for the Islamic Center of Charlotte. It was Hough who arranged two attempted "interventions" in his Charlotte home, where he and Khan's father, Zafar Khan, gathered with local Muslim leaders in an attempt to persuade the young Khan - prior to this exodus to Yemen - to abandon his radical rhetoric.

Here is the full Khan family statement:

"We, the family of Samir Khan, in our time of grief and mourning, request that the media let us have our peace and privacy during this difficult time. It has been stated in the media that Samir was not the target of the attack; however no U.S. official has contacted us with any news about the recovery of our son's remains, nor offered us any condolences. As a result, we feel appalled by the indifference shown to us by our government.

"Being a law abiding citizen of the United States our late son Samir Khan never broke any law and was never implicated of any crime. The Fifth Amendment states that no citizen shall be 'deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law' yet our government assassinated two of its citizens. Was this style of execution the only solution? Why couldn't there have been a capture and trial? Where is the justice? As we mourn our son, we must ask these questions."

Deepsepia
10-07-2011, 05:19 AM
Aw . . . So sad.

Is there an address where one can send the family a condolence card?

A card's not really the thing, come to think of it. . . a package, that'd be just right. A condolence package for the family of Samir Khan to let them know just how sorry we all are that their son has been so cruelly snatched from this Earth.

Really, it does make you feel all choked up.

JoeyB
10-07-2011, 05:35 AM
Aw . . . So sad.

A card's not really the thing, come to think of it. . . a package, that'd be just right. A condolence package for the family of Samir Khan to let them know just how sorry we all are that their son has been so cruelly snatched from this Earth.

Dude...whatever you think of this guy, his family are real people with real feelings. They have to grieve, you don't shit on people when they are grieving, regardless of how you feel about them.

EDIT: I'm anticipating the 'what about the families of so and so' comments, and again I say this, you don't shit on people when they are grieving.

Deepsepia
10-07-2011, 09:40 AM
Dude...whatever you think of this guy, his family are real people with real feelings. They have to grieve, you don't shit on people when they are grieving, regardless of how you feel about them.

EDIT: I'm anticipating the 'what about the families of so and so' comments, and again I say this, you don't shit on people when they are grieving.

You know I'm not particularly sympathetic to most right wing stuff.

But just because I often disagree with the right doesn't mean I always do, this is one of those times when I'm going to sound kinda reactionary.

Normally, when people who've emigrated to this country and have had the benefits of this country have a traitor in their family, you'd expect them to be ashamed.

Samir Khan was a miserable shit of a traitor, this generation's "Tokyo Rose" with the added component that he actively disseminated destructive technology plans to would be terrorists -- and we have homegrown characters like Major Hassan who were in communication with Awlaki or Khan, so we can point to real damage they've done.

Decent people would have either disowned such a family member or if they agreed with him, moved to some more congenial country. I have not much tolerance for folks who both want to be American citizens and are sympathetic with domestic terrorism.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-07-2011, 10:52 AM

But just because I often disagree with the right doesn't mean I always do, this is one of those times when I'm going to sound kinda reactionary.

Normally, when people who've emigrated to this country and have had the benefits of this country have a traitor in their family, you'd expect them to be ashamed.

Samir Khan was a miserable shit of a traitor, this generation's "Tokyo Rose" with the added component that he actively disseminated destructive technology plans to would be terrorists -- and we have homegrown characters like Major Hassan who were in communication with Awlaki or Khan, so we can point to real damage they've done.

Decent people would have either disowned such a family member or if they agreed with him, moved to some more congenial country. I have not much tolerance for folks who both want to be American citizens and are sympathetic with domestic terrorism.

:+1:

:clap:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-07-2011, 10:53 AM
Aw . . . So sad.

What we should all do is get together and get a wreath for the family.....the Wreath of Khan

Loser
10-07-2011, 11:54 AM
What we should all do is get together and get a wreath for the family.....the Wreath of Khan

I got that, and you deserve a :slap:

:lol:

Muddy
10-07-2011, 12:00 PM

Hahahaha...*chips in :2cents:*

Teh One Who Knocks
10-07-2011, 12:09 PM
I got that, and you deserve a :slap:

:lol:

Hahahaha...*chips in :2cents:*

:dance:

JoeyB
10-08-2011, 04:43 AM

Would they? If you love someone, you can be incredibly blind to what they do. Imagine if this was your kid...how fast would you be to write him off? Would you not hold out hope? This is your CHILD...love for a child is hard to lose.

And remember, these people did nothing wrong. The only sin they committed even by your own assessment is apparently loving their kid.

So, they've suffered at least twice here...but have done nothing wrong themselves.

Seems to me they deserve something besides hate.

FBD
10-08-2011, 07:10 AM
:lol: Like he just got involved! Deep enunciated this one well.

JoeyB
10-08-2011, 08:06 AM
There is enough hate in the world...put out love. See what happens. Anticipating mockery...as hate cannot see love.

Also, hate cannot dance or do origami.

KevinD
10-08-2011, 03:08 PM
I don't hate Samir, nor his family. I do however feel that if you decide to become an enemy of this country, by words, actions or both, then you deserve the consequences. I can understand his family being in mourning, but honestly, the statement they released is in my eyes yet more propaganda in the effort to allow Islam a larger foothold in the US. Islam and Christianity have been at war with each other almost since their inception. There have been wrongs and atrocities committed by both sides. I'll stick with Christianity, thanks.

KevinD
10-08-2011, 03:09 PM
Aw . . . So sad.

Well, put sir, well put.

JoeyB
10-08-2011, 11:05 PM
I don't hate Samir, nor his family. I do however feel that if you decide to become an enemy of this country, by words, actions or both, then you deserve the consequences. I can understand his family being in mourning, but honestly, the statement they released is in my eyes yet more propaganda in the effort to allow Islam a larger foothold in the US. Islam and Christianity have been at war with each other almost since their inception. There have been wrongs and atrocities committed by both sides. I'll stick with Christianity, thanks.

I'm a Christian, and I chose Christianity too Kevin.

"Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.” To the contrary, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.” Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good."

"But I say to you who hear, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you."

I leave it to each of your consciences...

Teh One Who Knocks
10-10-2011, 11:38 AM

This ^^