PDA

View Full Version : Murdered Meredith Kercher's family to sue Amanda Knox

Teh One Who Knocks
10-10-2011, 11:47 AM
The Asian Age News

http://i.imgur.com/FHg7L.jpg

The family of murdered British student Meredith Kercher are set to sue freed Amanda Knox for 8 million pounds.

Britain's Sun newspaper reported that Kercher's family are appalled by the news that Knox is set to land millions in media deals after being cleared in the Meredith Kercher murder case - a trial that took Italy (where the two were roommates), by storm.

Knox, 24, her ex-boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito, 27, and another man named Rudy Guede were told to pay $12million (£7.7million) when they were convicted of the murder in 2009. That ruling was, however, revoked when they were cleared of charges in 2011.

Lawyers for Kercher's family are preparing the case, it has been reported.

DemonGeminiX
10-10-2011, 01:54 PM
Look, I'm sorry that the girl died, but Knox didn't kill her. Quit trying to punish her for a crime she didn't commit.

Muddy
10-10-2011, 02:01 PM
Are we 100% that she wasn't involved at all?

DemonGeminiX
10-10-2011, 02:55 PM

Can you prove beyond the shadow of a reasonable doubt that she was?

Teh One Who Knocks
10-10-2011, 03:15 PM
Look, I'm sorry that the girl died, but Knox didn't kill her. Quit trying to punish her for a crime she didn't commit.

No kidding...instead of looking for the real killer, let's sue Amanda instead :roll:

This ^^

Muddy
10-10-2011, 03:22 PM

We couldn't with OJ either, though.

Arkady Renko
10-10-2011, 03:29 PM
We couldn't with OJ either, though.

sure enough, ut back then it seemed that OJ's acquittal in the criminal trial was caused by a number of fuck-ups by the prosecution, while in the Knox case it's apparently the entire case that was fucked up from the get go. unless the media withheld a great deal of important information in the coverage of the trial, Knox and her former boyfriend were the victims of a witchhunt that the prosecution kept following through with because they refused to admit that the guy who "ratted" on Knox actually led them up the garden path.

DemonGeminiX
10-10-2011, 04:18 PM
sure enough, ut back then it seemed that OJ's acquittal in the criminal trial was caused by a number of fuck-ups by the prosecution, while in the Knox case it's apparently the entire case that was fucked up from the get go. unless the media withheld a great deal of important information in the coverage of the trial, Knox and her former boyfriend were the victims of a witchhunt that the prosecution kept following through with because they refused to admit that the guy who "ratted" on Knox actually led them up the garden path.

:+1:

PorkChopSandwiches
10-10-2011, 04:31 PM
:wank:

Muddy
10-10-2011, 04:31 PM
I wonder if she's had anything in that box yet?

JoeyB
10-10-2011, 08:25 PM

What difference does that make in America? We killed Troy Davis. Reasonable doubt means nothing.

Also, as we learned with OJ, civil trials (AKA, the money run) have a much lower standard of guilt than criminal cases hold. He was ordered to pay up, and so could Amanda. Actual guilt means nothing. I still don't know enough about this case to make any arguments as to its merits.

I will say...in the superficial glimpses of it I have had, it looks like Amanda has been possibly persecuted without merit, and may well be innocent.

She hooked up with her boyfriend from four years ago as soon as she touched down so...yeah, it's probably cream filled by now. Shame.

Deepsepia
10-10-2011, 09:09 PM

That seems to be the case. I was floored when the prosecutor himself said there was "no motive" for the killing.

As to the lawsuit-- where are they going to sue? Italy? The UK? The US?

Hard to see how they're going to get a judgment which would mean anything in the US. By all accounts, Knox's family went deeply into debt to pay for her defense, easy enough for her to assign the rights to her story to a trust or some other vehicle to pay off those debts, very hard for anyone to touch that . . . courts tend to be very protective of the ability of defendants to pay legal bills . .

Leefro
10-10-2011, 09:12 PM
Can I just point out this was a story from The Sun ;)

Leefro
10-10-2011, 09:13 PM
]What difference does that make in America? We killed Troy Davis. Reasonable doubt means nothing.

It's ok he was black

JoeyB
10-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Can I just point out this was a story from The Sun ;)

Oh, the Sun...it's like the National Enquirer for conservatives.

Love the Page 3 girls though...I was over there checking out today's lady not an hour ago.

It's ok he was black

Dude, I was deeply involved with that for years...I just can't joke about it.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-10-2011, 09:45 PM
It's ok he was black

http://i.imgur.com/g9cvO.gif

Leefro
10-10-2011, 09:48 PM
Oh, the Sun...it's like the National Enquirer for conservatives.

Love the Page 3 girls though...I was over there checking out today's lady not an hour ago.

Dude, I was deeply involved with that for years...I just can't joke about it.

Yes that same paper and the same owner of fox and the owner of the paper that hacked a dead teenager phone but The Daily Sport was the newspaper like the Enquirer ;) And btw my comment about him being black was no joke it was sardonic and maybe does not look right in print

JoeyB
10-10-2011, 10:24 PM
Yes that same paper and the same owner of fox and the owner of the paper that hacked a dead teenager phone but The Daily Sport was the newspaper like the Enquirer ;) And btw my comment about him being black was no joke it was sardonic and maybe does not look right in print

I didn't take offense or anything Lee and I certainly never thought you meant any (never even crossed my mind, honest)...just saying it's not a topic I can joke about.

Leefro
10-10-2011, 10:34 PM
I'm glad she was released if there was any reasonable doubt that she did not do the crime then she should be released maybe the thing that disappointed the family of the bereaved is that as soon as she was released the amount of money she would earn out of it was banded about before she'd even set foot on home soil or made any comment on the conviction.

Maybe not Knox's fault but left a sour taste imo

Deepsepia
10-10-2011, 10:38 PM
I'm glad she was released if there was any reasonable doubt that she did not do the crime then she should be released maybe the thing that disappointed the family of the bereaved is that as soon as she was released the amount of money she would earn out of it was banded about before she'd even set foot on home soil or made any comment on the conviction.

Well Kercher's family has every right to be upset, but not with Knox.

They certainly can be devastated by the loss of their daughter, and the gruesome circumstances, and the shoddy police work. But none of that justifies animus or financial damages from a girl who seems to be innocent of any crime, and who has already suffered considerably.

JoeyB
10-10-2011, 10:41 PM

I agree, the money making often seems crass.

I do try and look at it from her perspective...if she is innocent, she just underwent a ridiculous four year long ordeal...that would make me bitter. It might be hard for her to be understanding of the pain the victim's family is feeling, under those circumstances.

Leefro
10-10-2011, 10:46 PM
Well Kercher's family has every right to be upset, but not with Knox.

They certainly can be devastated by the loss of their daughter, and the gruesome circumstances, and the shoddy police work. But none of that justifies animus or financial damages from a girl who seems to be innocent of any crime, and who has already suffered considerably.

As I did spout earlier it was a story from the sun newspaper ;)

Arkady Renko
10-11-2011, 10:56 AM

the Knox Box? if she knows what's good for her, she'll keep it impregnable as Fort Knox for a while. With all the emotional stress she'd probably be wise to take some time to digest and process before she embarks on the next adventure.

That seems to be the case. I was floored when the prosecutor himself said there was "no motive" for the killing.

As to the lawsuit-- where are they going to sue? Italy? The UK? The US?

Hard to see how they're going to get a judgment which would mean anything in the US. By all accounts, Knox's family went deeply into debt to pay for her defense, easy enough for her to assign the rights to her story to a trust or some other vehicle to pay off those debts, very hard for anyone to touch that . . . courts tend to be very protective of the ability of defendants to pay legal bills . .

I suppose that if she plays her cards right she can sell her story in a way that will not mean further infringement of her dignity while allowing her family to recover the legal expenses and maybe see her through college. for that, a funds construction would indeed be pretty handy.