PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts: Occupy Wall Street

Muddy
10-11-2011, 12:20 PM
What do you guys think about this ordeal?

I personally think their hearts are in the right place, but I also think the wrong group of people are bitching about who's paying taxes.. I mean really... How many taxes do you think this crew of slackers sleeping in the street are paying?

Muddy
10-11-2011, 12:21 PM
Here's an image from one the the occupy Wall Street web site..

http://i53.tinypic.com/160sp01.jpg

Teh One Who Knocks
10-11-2011, 12:22 PM
I think they are a group of morons :)

Goofy
10-11-2011, 12:25 PM
I think they are a group of mormons :)

http://i.imgur.com/yQPfB.jpg

:-k

Muddy
10-11-2011, 12:26 PM
I have a friend on Facebook thats is saying "shame shame on you corporations".. I'm sitting here saying to myself, WTF? You havent paid any taxes in 10 years! :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-11-2011, 12:32 PM
http://i.imgur.com/yQPfB.jpg

:-k

:slap:

I have a friend on Facebook thats is saying "shame shame on you corporations".. I'm sitting here saying to myself, WTF? You havent paid any taxes in 10 years! :lol:

As you already said, most (I'd bet upwards of 95%) of these 'protesters' don't even pay Federal income tax and then to hear the crap that comes out of their mouths? Makes me wish we could send in the tanks and mow them all down.

Over the weekend I saw somebody interviewing a chick down at the protests. He asked her if one of the CEO's of some company came down and offered her a $150K job if she would take it. She said no :roll:

Muddy
10-11-2011, 12:34 PM
I bet she'd take a free slice of that pizza they're giving out though... :roll:

Goofy
10-11-2011, 12:35 PM
They're giving out free pizza? :woot:

Arkady Renko
10-11-2011, 02:30 PM
I'd rather be part of the 1% (and I don't mean outlaw biker clubs...)

Loser
10-11-2011, 02:35 PM
I agree with them about jobs. No more, no less.

We need to bring manufacturing jobs back to the US, and stop importing every fucking thing from China, mexico, taiwan, korea, malaysia, etc.......

Muddy
10-11-2011, 03:17 PM

We need to bring manufacturing jobs back to the US, and stop importing every fucking thing from China, mexico, taiwan, korea, malaysia, etc.......

I have been saying this for years...

Loser
10-11-2011, 03:39 PM
So have I :thumbsup:

Muddy
10-11-2011, 03:44 PM
I wonder why no one in the 'main stream' ever hammers this?

Muddy
10-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Uh oh... getting dangerous..

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Occupy Wall Street is on the move ... uptown.
Why uptown? Because that's where the rich folks live!
Community groups and progressive organizations that have been working with the broader Occupy Wall Street movement are planning a march on Tuesday that will visit the homes of JP Morgan Chase (JPM (http://money.cnn.com/quote/quote.html?symb=JPM&source=story_quote_link), Fortune 500 (http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune500/2011/snapshots/2608.html?source=story_f500_link)) CEO Jamie Dimon, billionaire David Koch, hedge fund honcho John Paulson, Howard Milstein, and News Corp (NWSA (http://money.cnn.com/quote/quote.html?symb=NWSA&source=story_quote_link), Fortune 500 (http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune500/2011/snapshots/6213.html?source=story_f500_link)) CEO Rupert Murdoch.
The millionaires and billionaires are being targeted for what event organizers called a "willingness to hoard wealth at the expense of the 99%."

http://money.cnn.com/2011/10/10/news/economy/occupy_wall_street_protest/index.htm

Arkady Renko
10-11-2011, 04:06 PM

most of the manufacturing jobs that have been moved offshore are gone for good, I'd say. In a free market world, how are companies from the US or western europe to compete with the cost of labour in the developing nations? The only answer is to be more productive and efficient so labour costs will weigh in less on the end price of a given product.

Maybe it would also help to develop a certification for products that have been made under sustainable conditions, like they have for food over here. If people were more aware of the hidden cost of that cheap pair of denims made in Bangladesh orthat iphone produced by de-facto-slaves in china, they'd be willing to buy more expensive products knowing they are not based on explitation. but I am afraid most consumers will always go for the dirt cheap stuff and ask no questions...

Oh, and I think governments in the US and most of the EU should encourage massive investments into infrastructure because most of that money would be spent locally.

Muddy
10-11-2011, 04:15 PM
We could slap a big tax on all imports?

Goofy
10-11-2011, 04:21 PM
Where's my free pizza? :x

Muddy
10-11-2011, 04:26 PM
You have to quit your job and go sleep in the streets with the other non tax paying slackers..

Arkady Renko
10-12-2011, 10:34 AM
We could slap a big tax on all imports?

everyone else would slap a big tax on your exports, everyone loses.

Goofy
10-12-2011, 11:32 AM
You have to quit your job and go sleep in the streets with the other non tax paying slackers..

........ think ill just buy my own pizza then if thats the choice :-k

Muddy
10-12-2011, 01:31 PM

Not really, we have a large enough customer base (300 million). I think we could self sustain.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-12-2011, 01:37 PM
Not really, we have a large enough customer base (300 million). I think we could self sustain.

If we could bring manufacturing back to the US, I would tend to agree

Muddy
10-12-2011, 01:41 PM
If we could bring manufacturing back to the US, I would tend to agree

I heard a bit on NPR this morning, where a good portion of the US manufacturers are having a hard time getting the skilled labor they need to fulfill the jobs of the high end techs that are retiring.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-12-2011, 01:49 PM
It's hard to find good help in any of the skilled trades anymore

Muddy
10-12-2011, 01:59 PM
It has a bad rap for being dirty and not as fruitful as some of the other occupations..

Teh One Who Knocks
10-12-2011, 02:01 PM
That's because of the new 'mentality' in this country where everyone pushes people towards college. College isn't for everybody unless you already know what you want to do. Skilled trades always have been good jobs and there are several of them that pay more than jobs you can get with a college degree.

I never went to college and I make more money than all of my friends except one...and he never went to college either.

DemonGeminiX
10-12-2011, 02:05 PM

I thought they already did.

DemonGeminiX
10-12-2011, 02:06 PM
I heard a bit on NPR this morning, where a good portion of the US manufacturers are having a hard time getting the skilled labor they need to fulfill the jobs of the high end techs that are retiring.

Maybe if they invested in their options and provided some training...

PorkChopSandwiches
10-12-2011, 02:13 PM
Im a highly skilled sex worker

Muddy
10-12-2011, 02:17 PM
That's because of the new 'mentality' in this country where everyone pushes people towards college. College isn't for everybody unless you already know what you want to do. Skilled trades always have been good jobs and there are several of them that pay more than jobs you can get with a college degree.

I never went to college and I make more money than all of my friends except one...and he never went to college either.

Maybe if they invested in their options and provided some training...

The radio program focused on a fellow that had been recruiting in high school showing these kids that these were mathematical jobs with all the computerized equipment and the days of being a greasy welder are damn near over...

Teh One Who Knocks
10-12-2011, 02:24 PM
The radio program focused on a fellow that had been recruiting in high school showing these kids that these were mathematical jobs with all the computerized equipment and the days of being a greasy welder are damn near over...

The welder on my buddy's pipeline crew makes $35/hour

DemonGeminiX
10-12-2011, 03:00 PM

:lol:

In this day and age of crappy public school education? Good luck.

Muddy
10-12-2011, 03:01 PM

In this day and age of crappy public school education? Good luck.

It's not all crappy.. It depends on where you live... A school is what it's community makes it..

PorkChopSandwiches
10-12-2011, 03:04 PM
It's not all crappy.. It depends on where you live... A school is what it's community makes it..

And how much effort the parents put into it

DemonGeminiX
10-12-2011, 03:04 PM

The first thing I would do, if I were a community making a school? Ban all electronic devices from the classroom.

PorkChopSandwiches
10-12-2011, 03:08 PM
The first thing I would do, if I were a community making a school? Ban all electronic devices from the classroom.

Computers? Why would you do that?

DemonGeminiX
10-12-2011, 03:13 PM
Computers? Why would you do that?

There can be a computer-specific class, but for everything else they need to sit down and exercise their noodles instead of becoming dependent on technology to do their thinking for them.

Muddy
10-12-2011, 03:15 PM
My kids dont even have text books anymore.

DemonGeminiX
10-12-2011, 03:19 PM
My kids dont even have text books anymore.

I don't know what I would do without a textbook.

Muddy
10-12-2011, 03:24 PM
I agree, I think it's crazy.. We communicate with the teachers through a web portal and all kinds of shit..

PorkChopSandwiches
10-12-2011, 03:26 PM
I agree, I think it's crazy.. We communicate with the teachers through a web portal and all kinds of shit..

I like it, I can see exactly where my kid is at, at any time, I can track his performance and see missing assignments. This way I can nip it in the bud instead of being surprised when report cards come out.

Muddy
10-12-2011, 03:27 PM
I like it, I can see exactly where my kid is at, at any time, I can track his performance and see missing assignments. This way I can nip it in the bud instead of being surprised when report cards come out.

Oh are you guys doing it now also? I think my county was the first in the nation to actually implement this..

PorkChopSandwiches
10-12-2011, 03:36 PM
Oh are you guys doing it now also? I think my county was the first in the nation to actually implement this..

They still use books, but we have a web portal to track everything

Muddy
10-12-2011, 03:38 PM
Oh. We have laptops in place of books, a web portal to track the kids, and a web portal for the lunch stuff.. To restrict their diets and deposit money etc.

Godfather
10-12-2011, 03:55 PM
Seems like Occupy Wall Street is a good gauge of the temperature. I don't think the best and the brightest are ever going to go and wear hemp and hold angry signs... but it's startling when there are that many pissed off people in two dozen cities world-wide. Rough out there and more and more average, rational people are getting angry enough to do things like protesting for weeks on end. What does that say about where the extremists are at...

Godfather
10-12-2011, 04:16 PM

Ingredients:
molasses from the United States
anise from Spain
licorice from France
vanilla (bourbon) from Madagascar
cinnamon from Sri Lanka
cloves from Indonesia
wintergreen from China
pimento berry oil from Jamaica
balsam oil from Peru

All that is is a bottle of Root Beer. :lol: Imagine what a nuclear submarine or a super-computer looks like!

The US outsourcing all its labor is one thing, but I'm all for Globalism. And what the hippies on wall-street whining about multinational organizations don't care to know is that globalism is responsible for the greatest leap forward in living standards in human history...

Muddy
10-12-2011, 04:21 PM
Ingredients:
anise from Spain
licorice from France
cinnamon from Sri Lanka
cloves from Indonesia
wintergreen from China
balsam oil from Peru

All that is is a bottle of Root Beer. :lol: Imagine what a nuclear submarine or a super-computer looks like!

The US outsourcing all its labor is one thing, but I'm all for Globalism. And what the hippies on wall-street whining about multinational organizations don't care to know is that globalism is responsible for the greatest leap forward in living standards in human history...

Globalism's tough when countries like China devalue their currency to keep themselves cheap.

Godfather
10-12-2011, 04:34 PM
I like root beer, suck it up :x

Muddy
10-12-2011, 04:43 PM
I haven't had a good root beer in years...

Teh One Who Knocks
10-12-2011, 08:31 PM
Ingredients:
anise from Spain
licorice from France
cinnamon from Sri Lanka
cloves from Indonesia
wintergreen from China
balsam oil from Peru

All of which could no doubt be synthesized ;)

Globalism's tough when countries like China devalue their currency to keep themselves cheap.

This ^^

Teh One Who Knocks
10-14-2011, 01:37 PM
They're clearing the protesters out of the park in downtown Denver today :dance:

Muddy
10-14-2011, 01:59 PM
They postponed it in NY..

Teh One Who Knocks
10-14-2011, 02:07 PM
I guess they sent the cops in about 3 AM this morning according to the radio....multiple streets are closed downtown this morning

Teh One Who Knocks
10-14-2011, 02:12 PM
:link: Arrests made as police, CSP clear out Occupy Denver camp site (http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_19112322)

:dance:

Muddy
10-14-2011, 02:36 PM
Get a job, you hippies..

You know whats funny is NPR was reporting that going to a tea party rally, or going to these 'occupy' rallies.. That the picket signs all read the same things.. :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-14-2011, 02:54 PM
And that's what's stupid....according to the media, if you protest big government and Wall Street bailouts and you call yourself a Republican, then you are some racist and radical neo-nazi. But if you do the same thing and call yourself a Democrat, then you are a freedom fighter sticking up for the little guy and the oppressed :roll:

Muddy
10-14-2011, 03:01 PM
I Hear ya.. I read a piece from Ann Coulter this morning and she seemed to resonate a certain level of truth..

http://www.anncoulter.com/columns/2011-10-12.html

Teh One Who Knocks
10-14-2011, 03:12 PM
I usually can't stand Coulter (or Limbaugh for that matter), but if you get past all the partisan rhetoric in that piece you posted the link to, she definitely has a point.

Muddy
10-14-2011, 03:31 PM
I don't care much for her either (smart ass rabble rouser), but like you said It has some good points..

Godfather
10-15-2011, 01:25 AM
I was NOT born into the 1%. My mother escaped from a communist country and came to America at age 16 without speaking English or a penny to her name. My father is a first generation American and the first person in our family to attend college.

I attended public school and a state university and worked several jobs in school and during the summer to help my parents pay for my education; I graduated with a BS in Finance.

I have accumulated wealth because I have worked my ass off for 20+ years, saved my money, slowly built non-leveraged investments in real estate and a broad based equity & option portfolio, deferred compensation and reinvested in my company. If I make bad investment decisions I own the loss and have no pension; if I make good investment decisions the gov't gets to tax me another 15% on the ordinary income that has already been taxed.

I love my kids and will provide them with a good education as long as they major in a marketable discipline. They will not inherit any money in their youth, and will not get anything if they prove themselves fiscally irresponsible. Frankly, they have no idea how much we are worth. Any tax policy or 'redistribution' of wealth will only drive my money to places that are legally untouchable.

I join the fight to reward hard working savers, investors, and entrepreneurs. I stand with the 1%.

Boom

Godfather
10-17-2011, 09:03 PM
:rofl: Those idiots in Vancouver were still asleep in their tents at 10am.

Funniest part was seeing the hippies and their signs leaving downtown on the bus... all of them self-absorbed in their fuggin' iPods and iPad and iWhatevers. All heading back to West Vancouver, one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in Canada.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-17-2011, 09:22 PM
Here's how you solve the problem with the Occupy idiots

:machinegun:

:thumbsup:

Southern Belle
10-18-2011, 12:12 AM
I can't figure out what good they think it will do to occupy Wall Street. Do they think the Wall Street bunch will have a change of heart and give money they made to the less fortunate? I don't think so.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-24-2011, 12:01 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ThIqI.jpg

Godfather
10-24-2011, 04:25 PM
You should see their little tent camp in Vancouver. It's a filthy muddy disaster. The mayor is trying to get rid of them this week. I'll be impressed if he can end it quickly.

Godfather
10-24-2011, 04:26 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ThIqI.jpg

:rofl:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-24-2011, 09:15 PM
It's not a laughing matter...those big planets OWE the solar system some of their mass :nono:

Godfather
10-24-2011, 09:29 PM
It's not a laughing matter...those big planets OWE the solar system some of their mass :nono:

:lol: :lol:

Godfather
10-25-2011, 06:08 AM
The wimpy mayor of Vancouver was on the news saying he's talking with other mayors trying to know how to deal with the squatters.

Just fuggin' toss them out... the city leases the land they're on, and by-laws are very clear in the City of Vancouver that you cannot erect any kind of structures on city property. Put a time-line on their eviction, then bring in the tractors and tear gas.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-25-2011, 10:42 AM
The wimpy mayor of Vancouver was on the news saying he's talking with other mayors trying to know how to deal with the squatters.

Just fuggin' toss them out... the city leases the land they're on, and by-laws are very clear in the City of Vancouver that you cannot erect any kind of structures on city property. Put a time-line on their eviction, then bring in the tractors and tear gas.

:shakehead:

Have him call over here...the Mayor of Denver sent in the State Police in riot gear to clear the morons outta the park downtown :thumbsup:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-25-2011, 11:54 AM
http://i.imgur.com/7YbVa.jpg

Softdreamer
10-25-2011, 12:14 PM
Yes we ridicule these people and their methods..

But dont we all on some level agree with them that the modern world is held to ransom by the rich and powerful, and that maybe things dont have to be as drastic as they are now for things to function?

Teh One Who Knocks
10-25-2011, 12:46 PM
But dont we all on some level agree with them that the modern world is held to ransom by the rich and powerful...

Simple answer....nope :)

http://i.imgur.com/hg7q1.jpg

Muddy
10-25-2011, 12:56 PM
Where is "Seasame" street?

Teh One Who Knocks
10-25-2011, 12:59 PM
I don't make the signs :hand:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-25-2011, 12:59 PM
http://i.imgur.com/g9LAf.jpg

Muddy
10-25-2011, 01:00 PM
Cant we get an original around here? damn...

Teh One Who Knocks
10-25-2011, 01:03 PM
http://i.imgur.com/aWJrN.jpg

Muddy
10-25-2011, 01:11 PM
A job is a right? wtf man... :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-25-2011, 01:15 PM
Yeah, kinda defeats the purpose of a job, doesn't it? :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-26-2011, 12:28 PM
http://i.imgur.com/E0g37.png

Godfather
10-26-2011, 03:37 PM
:lol: The Jupiter one is still my favorite

Teh One Who Knocks
10-26-2011, 03:40 PM
Yeah, it's hard to top that one :lol:

Godfather
10-27-2011, 03:56 PM
http://i39.tinypic.com/abktv.jpg

Not as funny but smarter than most stuff I'm hearing from the weenies at Occupy Vancouver.

Muddy
10-27-2011, 04:12 PM

Not as funny but smarter than most stuff I'm hearing from the weenies at Occupy Vancouver.

I like it... :)

Teh One Who Knocks
10-27-2011, 06:48 PM

Nice idea in principal, but usually not economically feasible ;)

Loser
10-27-2011, 07:11 PM
I support the local shops more than I do the big box stores. Especially the hardware stores. Ace hardware is a fucking rip off on prices compared to the local one, in most cases prices are 30% higher, and a good 75% of their stock is from china. :x

Muddy
10-27-2011, 07:13 PM
I support the local shops more than I do the big box stores. Especially the hardware stores. Ace hardware is a fucking rip off on prices compared to the local one, in most cases prices are 30% higher, and a good 75% of their stock is from china. :x

Most Ace hardwares are independently owned, Dippy.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-27-2011, 07:26 PM

Because Ace Hardware is like the 7-11 of hardware stores...you pay for the convenience. There are times I've gone to Loews or Home Depot and can't find something but Ace Hardware will have it.

Godfather
10-28-2011, 01:07 AM
Sorry if this is hard to read, but it's fuggin' brilliant. I don't agree with every single word but the idea behind what will happen to these people if they lose their jobs is interesting. It gets better as it goes on too :thumbsup:

http://i44.tinypic.com/zxs1dz.jpg

Teh One Who Knocks
10-28-2011, 01:13 AM
Awesome :thumbsup:

Hal-9000
10-28-2011, 01:17 AM
Yeah GF's posted note implies a comical threat but when you think about the work habits and training of those people...they will knock the hell out of middle class America if they decide to try other employment.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-30-2011, 12:45 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Jp2hll.jpg

Teh One Who Knocks
10-30-2011, 01:04 PM
http://i.imgur.com/hYfy5.png

Softdreamer
10-30-2011, 09:57 PM
http://i.imgur.com/hYfy5.png

Do you realise how true this is..
Bankers get 400% pay rise over five years while we all get fucked over from the recession they caused. Yes, we are their pet dogs.

RBP
10-30-2011, 10:06 PM
Bankers get 400% pay rise over five years while we all get fucked over from the recession they caused. Yes, we are their pet dogs.

You forgot to say "Jews"

JoeyB
10-30-2011, 10:09 PM
You forgot to say "Jews"

Hey! I am the one who makes Jew jokes around here. You are the one who hates women. Keep it straight mo fo, keep it straight.

Softdreamer: I agree with you. But this thread is not friendly to people who are friendly to the OWS movement.

RBP
10-30-2011, 10:21 PM

It's kinda like when you know someone is thinking "nigger" but they don't have the balls to say it.

Muddy
10-30-2011, 10:21 PM
You forgot to say "Jews"

Holla holla! :lol:

JoeyB
10-30-2011, 10:47 PM

It's kinda like when you know someone is thinking "nigger" but they don't have the balls to say it.

Softdreamer wasn't thinking about Jews dude...he was talking about bankers, and meant that as actual bankers, who have been enjoying great financial success despite poor performances.

RBP
10-30-2011, 10:49 PM
I got it JB...

JoeyB
10-30-2011, 11:01 PM
I got it JB...

The aids?

RBP
10-30-2011, 11:04 PM
Don't you find it ironic that it's referred to as "full blown" AIDS?

JoeyB
10-30-2011, 11:05 PM
Don't you find it ironic that it's referred to as "full blown" AIDS?

Only if you got it anally and not orally.

Godfather
10-31-2011, 06:42 AM
The Vancouver occupy movement has now cost a million dollars of the city's contingency fund set aside for policing the big sleepover downtown. It has only been two weeks...

There is now a faction of them marching on a historic church claiming it's stolen land (a matter settled in court years ago), and harassing Sunday parishioners who have a right to worship. This same church feeds and clothes the homeless.

I'm surprised they can even agree on a name for their movement given how directionless it is.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-31-2011, 10:51 AM

Go get a job in the banking industry then, who the hell is stopping you? :-s

You forgot to say "Jews"

;)

Softdreamer
10-31-2011, 12:45 PM
Go get a job in the banking industry then, who the hell is stopping you? :-s

Jiminy Cricket.

So your solution to the worlds problems is that we should all become the bad guys? nice.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-31-2011, 01:05 PM
No, my solution is that people should stop whining about everything and go make something of themselves...oh wait, it's a lot easy to just sit around and whine ;)

Listen, I'm not saying there aren't problems with the system the way it is, but the growing Idiocracy that is spreading over the world isn't the way to change it.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-31-2011, 02:39 PM
http://i.imgur.com/z914h.jpg

Teh One Who Knocks
10-31-2011, 02:57 PM
http://i.imgur.com/BoYWf.jpg

Teh One Who Knocks
10-31-2011, 03:15 PM
http://i.imgur.com/GpJzB.jpg

:thumbsup:

Softdreamer
10-31-2011, 03:30 PM
No, my solution is that people should stop whining about everything and go make something of themselves...oh wait, it's a lot easy to just sit around and whine ;)

Listen, I'm not saying there aren't problems with the system the way it is, but the growing Idiocracy that is spreading over the world isn't the way to change it.

Myself and many like me, wish they could join this movement and give it direction, but we are being held to ransom by the need to make ends meet on a day to day basis. Most of the 99% cannot afford to take time off work to make these protests look legitimate.
But fundamentally its about reaching a breaking point in society where the system is benefiting so few people that the vast majority no longer see it as a viable option for the future.

Where do we draw the line? 5 years from now it will be "we are the 99.9%" but if you are still in that 0.1% you still wouldn't care I guess.

JoeyB
10-31-2011, 08:09 PM
Myself and many like me, wish they could join this movement and give it direction, but we are being held to ransom by the need to make ends meet on a day to day basis. Most of the 99% cannot afford to take time off work to make these protests look legitimate.
But fundamentally its about reaching a breaking point in society where the system is benefiting so few people that the vast majority no longer see it as a viable option for the future.

Where do we draw the line? 5 years from now it will be "we are the 99.9%" but if you are still in that 0.1% you still wouldn't care I guess.

Lance is very dedicated to the 1%, I really don't know why exactly.

The top 1% own 42% of everything, and the top 5% hold two thirds of everything. We are one of the most inequitable societies on Earth.

The predatory rich have used every method at their disposable to make sure the playing field is balanced in their favor, to assure that they accumulate more wealth. This has led to a massive growth in poverty and a thinning out of the middle class. All so that a handful of people can have more and more assets, more wealth, more power.

Nothing wrong with saying enough to that. Right wing radio now declares this as class warfare. The real class warfare is what the rich have been doing to everyone else for the last fifty years.

This isn't about coveting that which others have, it is about the fact that a certain elite group of people have put in place a system of legal, societal, and corporate controls which siphon money into their pockets to the direct detriment of basically everyone else in this country. Their greed, their covetous nature, is causing massive damage...we have poor becoming poorer, a middle class that is disappearing, an environment that suffers, and a sense of desperation that is ironically driving people directly to the arms of the very political parties that support the rich. The whole situation is shameless.

Do some research into 'futures trading' and you'll see how this prime example of greed has caused massive hunger and famine across the globe. All so that a few people may become richer. Greed is evil. Wanting to curb the activities of those who revel in greed is not.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-31-2011, 09:11 PM
Joey, you are so prejudiced and jaded against anyone with money that it's almost laughable.

JoeyB
10-31-2011, 09:28 PM
Joey, you are so prejudiced and jaded against anyone with money that it's almost laughable.

No dude, I am aware of the practices of the billionaires in this country and thinking it's time we stopped letting them leverage the playing field in their own favor at the expense of everyone else.

I personally plan on being rich one day. So, no hate. Just reality.

KevinD
10-31-2011, 10:03 PM
Sooo, if I start a company, am fortunate enough that is prospers, so much so, that in 20 years or so I am a multimillionaire (on paper, not liquid assets) I employ a thousand or so people, Then I am evil and greedy?

Fuck off.

I do agree that in extreme situations, yes, some folks are/have been so greedy that they have gotten laws changed, etc. to further their wealth/ power,
but the trend to blame ALL wealthy people and or businesses is just ridiculous.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-31-2011, 10:33 PM
Then I am evil and greedy?

Yes :thumbsup:

JoeyB
10-31-2011, 10:44 PM
Sooo, if I start a company, am fortunate enough that is prospers, so much so, that in 20 years or so I am a multimillionaire (on paper, not liquid assets) I employ a thousand or so people, Then I am evil and greedy?

Fuck off.

I do agree that in extreme situations, yes, some folks are/have been so greedy that they have gotten laws changed, etc. to further their wealth/ power,
but the trend to blame ALL wealthy people and or businesses is just ridiculous.

I have always differentiated between the rich and the predatory rich, which are mostly billionaires.

Sadly, it is not extreme circumstances as you say, but rather those more regular, that these billionaires and mega corporations stack the balance in their favor. It must end.

Godfather
11-03-2011, 03:50 PM
Oh cute, the Occupy Vancouver weenies are marching on Canadian banks.... have they ever picked up a Financial Post? :roll: Our banks are fully capitalized, haven't taken a dime of government handouts and are some of the largest and best employers in the country

They can't just copy their cousins to the US without an ounce of original thinking... Canadian banks have saved us from being totally annihilated the last few years.

Softdreamer
11-03-2011, 04:31 PM
Oh cute, the Occupy Vancouver weenies are marching on Canadian banks.... have they ever picked up a Financial Post? :roll: Our banks are fully capitalized, haven't taken a dime of government handouts and are some of the largest and best employers in the country

They can't just copy their cousins to the US without an ounce of original thinking... Canadian banks have saved us from being totally annihilated the last few years.

They are however, part of the issue that some of the 99% are campaigning about.
That money and debt is treated as a commodity these days instead of tender. The very system of fractional reserve and compound interest that makes banks thrive causes endless issues in an economy. The most obvious of which being that the only people able to buy themselves out of debt are the banks themselves by creating more money.

Acid Trip
11-03-2011, 04:52 PM

Really? Bankers alone caused the recession?

Then none of this was caused by politicians deregulating the banking industry? None of it was caused by the CRA? None of this was Freddie and Fannie's fault? None of it was caused by the ratings agencies assigning AAA ratings to bad mortgages? None of it was caused by people taking out loans they couldn't afford? None of it was AIG and the credit default swaps they underwrote?

Assigning blame to a single group shows how little you know what about what actually happened.

perrhaps
11-04-2011, 06:51 PM
Memo To Twits:

Please don't flatter yourselves by comparing yourselves to those of us who protested the Vietnam War in the late 1960s and early 1970s. We did it while swearing to shake the "Establishment" down to its roots*, but most of us are getting ready to retire from our corporate jobs or professions in the next few years.

* Okay, okay, the free drugs and promiscuous sex were part of the attraction, too.

Godfather
11-06-2011, 06:15 AM
Some of my favorite demands from Occupy Vancouver:

2. We demand that the banks be nationalized and limit interest payments to 1%.
25. We demand an independent investigation into 9/11 which will examine all evidence including that which would support a false-flag explanation.
28. We demand a majority of the defense budget be redistributed to health, education and housing. (Canada's Defense Budget is a 1.1% of GDP)
29. We demand massage, [...] be covered under the health care system.
35. We demand that post-secondary education be free with no hidden user fees. We demand that most outstanding student loans should be forgiven based upon income.
41. We demand the release of all non-violent prisoners.

Loser
11-06-2011, 12:42 PM
http://cheezcomixed.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/koma-comic-strip-occupy-occupying.jpg

Teh One Who Knocks
11-06-2011, 12:43 PM
Bwahahahahahahaha :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
11-06-2011, 12:59 PM
http://i.imgur.com/XWEEN.jpg

Teh One Who Knocks
11-06-2011, 12:59 PM
Some of my favorite demands from Occupy Vancouver:

2. We demand that the banks be nationalized and limit interest payments to 1%.
25. We demand an independent investigation into 9/11 which will examine all evidence including that which would support a false-flag explanation.
28. We demand a majority of the defense budget be redistributed to health, education and housing. (Canada's Defense Budget is a 1.1% of GDP)
29. We demand massage, [...] be covered under the health care system.
35. We demand that post-secondary education be free with no hidden user fees. We demand that most outstanding student loans should be forgiven based upon income.
41. We demand the release of all non-violent prisoners.

:facepalm:

Godfather
11-06-2011, 06:33 PM
http://i.imgur.com/XWEEN.jpg

:lol: Brutal

Pony
11-06-2011, 11:28 PM
http://i.imgur.com/X5haf.jpg

Hal-9000
11-06-2011, 11:31 PM
I'm still pissed at our banks up here charging me twice for a non-bank ATM withdrawal :x

1.50 at the ATM, 1.50 from my bank for using a non-bank, bank machine

shall I go join the protests?

Teh One Who Knocks
11-06-2011, 11:34 PM
I'm still pissed at our banks up here charging me twice for a non-bank ATM withdrawal :x

1.50 at the ATM, 1.50 from my bank for using a non-bank, bank machine

shall I go join the protests?

My bank does the same if I use an ATM that isn't theirs....my bank charges me $3 and I get charged a fee at the ATM (which varies)

Hal-9000
11-06-2011, 11:36 PM
My bank does the same if I use an ATM that isn't theirs....my bank charges me $3 and I get charged a fee at the ATM (which varies)

brutal!

I thought from the other thread that you guys down there don't get that duplicate 'spank you' charge for not using their machines..

Teh One Who Knocks
11-06-2011, 11:37 PM
Depends on the bank...every bank I have used has charged me if I don't use their ATM

Hal-9000
11-06-2011, 11:41 PM
Imagine this:

In my Tim Horton's there's an ATM.I like using cash at this Tims because the staff has a little tip cup and they're good to me.
So my 1.79 XL coffee costs:

1.79 coffee
.21 tip
1.50 atm charge
1.50 bank charge

5 DOLLARS! :shock:

I should be a little more pro active I guess :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
11-06-2011, 11:47 PM
Yeah, might be worth keeping cash on you ahead of time :lol:

Godfather
11-07-2011, 06:14 PM
Imagine this:

In my Tim Horton's there's an ATM.I like using cash at this Tims because the staff has a little tip cup and they're good to me.
So my 1.79 XL coffee costs:

1.79 coffee
.21 tip
1.50 atm charge
1.50 bank charge

5 DOLLARS! :shock:

I should be a little more pro active I guess :lol:

Yeah maybe hit your own bank's ATM :lol: I'm with RBC which is nice because Esso and Chevron both have their machines inside at their gas stations. Love that.

Godfather
11-09-2011, 06:03 AM
Michael Moore was on Jimmy Fallon tonight... I think he's a big weenie but he had a few apt things to say about Occupy (obviously overly supportive in spite of some of their criminal/destructive aspects but...)

I liked when he said "democracy is not a spectator sport." People forget this a lot. Myself included.

And that this generation of young people with huge public debts being inherited are going to be paying for it for the rest of their lives, and there's now this mentality that you need to hurry up and go to college and then hurry up a get a job for the rest of your life instead of actually being young and dreaming and reaching a bit. This is all obviously true, and it's sad.

deebakes
11-09-2011, 06:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdoo5mYw5Xo

the dude is creepy :shock:

Godfather
11-09-2011, 06:11 AM
:lol: He's such a weenie.

deebakes
11-09-2011, 06:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWa_RTTLIFQ

"make way for the 1%" ...

Muddy
11-09-2011, 04:10 PM
Are people still protesting? It sure is getting cold outside..

Teh One Who Knocks
11-09-2011, 04:13 PM
I liked when he said "democracy is not a spectator sport." People forget this a lot. Myself included.

He only says things like that when it fits his agenda. Funny that he didn't feel the same way last year and before with the Tea Party protests here in the US ;)

Godfather
11-09-2011, 04:31 PM
He only says things like that when it fits his agenda. Funny that he didn't feel the same way last year and before with the Tea Party protests here in the US ;)

Well I don't like it because he said it, that's for sure :lol: I like it because it's just a good point

Most of the time I don't do shit to help.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-22-2011, 01:17 PM
http://i.imgur.com/H1KwI.jpg

Richard Cranium
11-22-2011, 01:21 PM
ROFLMFAO..

Teh One Who Knocks
11-24-2011, 12:20 PM
http://i.imgur.com/64a2R.jpg

FBD
11-24-2011, 04:16 PM
Really? Bankers alone caused the recession?

Then none of this was caused by politicians deregulating the banking industry? None of it was caused by the CRA? None of this was Freddie and Fannie's fault? None of it was caused by the ratings agencies assigning AAA ratings to bad mortgages? None of it was caused by people taking out loans they couldn't afford? None of it was AIG and the credit default swaps they underwrote?

Assigning blame to a single group shows how little you know what about what actually happened.

:lol: yup, and most people that support OWS cant understand how bad government policies begot these...bad...government...policies..