PDA

View Full Version : Calif. Governor Veto Allows Warrantless Cellphone Searches

PorkChopSandwiches
10-11-2011, 03:07 PM
http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/threatlevel/2011/10/Screen-Shot-2011-10-10-at-9.16.33-AM.png

California Gov. Jerry Brown is vetoing legislation requiring police to obtain a court warrant to search the mobile phones of suspects at the time of any arrest.

The Sunday veto means that when police arrest anybody in the Golden State, they may search that person’s mobile phone — which in the digital age likely means the contents of persons’ e-mail, call records, text messages, photos, banking activity, cloud-storage services, and even where the phone has traveled.

Police across the country are given wide latitude to search persons incident to an arrest based on the premise of officer safety. Now the nation’s states are beginning to grapple with the warrantless searches of mobile phones done at the time of an arrest.

Brown’s veto message abdicated responsibility for protecting the rights of Californians and ignored calls from civil liberties groups and this publication to sign the bill — saying only that the issue is too complicated for him to make a decision about. He cites a recent California Supreme Court decision upholding the warrantless searches of people incident to an arrest. In his brief message, he also doesn’t say whether it’s a good idea or not.

Instead, he says the state Supreme Court’s decision is good enough, a decision the U.S. Supreme Court let stand last week.

“The courts are better suited to resolve the complex and case-specific issues relating to constitutional search-and-seizure protections,” the governor wrote.

Because of that January ruling from the state’s high court, the California Legislature passed legislation to undo it — meaning Brown is taking the side of the Supreme Court’s seven justices instead of the state Legislature. The Assembly approved the bill 70-0 and the state Senate, 32-4.

The bill’s sponsor, Sen. Mark Leno (D-San Francisco), was flummoxed by Brown’s action. “It was a curious veto message suggesting that the courts could resolve this more effectively than the state Legislature,” he said in a telephone interview.

Under California statehouse rules, neither Leno nor any other lawmaker may introduce the legislation for at least a year.

Orin Kerr, one of the nation’s leading Fourth Amendment experts, said Brown should have backed the state’s Legislature. “I think Governor Brown has it exactly backwards. It is very difficult for courts to decide Fourth Amendment cases involving developing technologies like cellphones,” he said.

In 2007, there were 332,000 felony arrests in California alone — a third of which did not result in conviction.

Brown’s veto also shores up support with police unions and the Peace Officers Research Association of California, a police union that opposed the legislation and recently donated $38,900 to Brown’s campaign coffers. “Restricting the authority of a peace officer to search an arrestee unduly restricts their ability to apply the law, fight crime, discover evidence valuable to an investigation and protect the citizens of California,” the association said in a message.

That support would be key if Brown decides to seek a second term.

In the last year alone, at least seven police unions donated more than $12,900 each to Brown. Those unions, including the California Association of Highway Patrolmen and the Sacramento County Deputy Sheriff’s Association, had given Brown more than $160,000 in combined contributions.

PorkChopSandwiches
10-11-2011, 03:07 PM
What kind of bullshit is this? This guy is a fuckin idiot.

Acid Trip
10-11-2011, 03:10 PM
This is why you always have a password (or swipe lock) on your phone. The longer the better.

PorkChopSandwiches
10-11-2011, 03:15 PM
Yep
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/guides/2011/01/why-you-should-always-encrypt-your-smartphone.ars

Muddy
10-11-2011, 03:19 PM
Free California money for the illegals to get an education here and now this.. Wow!...

Acid Trip
10-11-2011, 03:22 PM
Yep
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/guides/2011/01/why-you-should-always-encrypt-your-smartphone.ars

From that link:

While the search incident to arrest exception gives police free rein to search and seize mobile phones found on arrestees’ persons, police generally cannot lawfully compel suspects to disclose or enter their mobile phone passwords. That's because the Fifth Amendment's protection against self-incrimination bars the government from compelling an individual to divulge any information or engage in any action considered to be "testimonial"—that is, predicated on potentially incriminating knowledge contained solely within the suspect's mind.

Muddy
10-11-2011, 03:24 PM
Anyone know the law in Va. on this?

Loser
10-11-2011, 03:41 PM
Banning of carrying firearms, warrantless searches of personal private property....See where I'm going with this?

Who else did this, before slaughtering some 6 million people? ;)

DemonGeminiX
10-11-2011, 03:46 PM
Banning of carrying firearms, warrantless searches of personal private property....See where I'm going with this?

:-k

I think the governor of California might have someone to answer to if he slaughtered 6 million Californians.

Muddy
10-11-2011, 03:48 PM
Depends on what 6 million... :lol:

kidding.. kidding..

Arkady Renko
10-11-2011, 04:11 PM

don't they already have gas chambers all set up in Cali?

Acid Trip
10-11-2011, 06:50 PM

Are you referring to Stalin or Hitler?

Stalin did it to his own people that didn't agree with him. Hitler did it to people he believed were NOT his people.

Joebob034
10-11-2011, 07:43 PM
wait? Arnold isn't the governor anymore? :(

Acid Trip
10-11-2011, 07:55 PM
wait? Arnold isn't the governor anymore? :(

http://troll.me/images/not-sure-if-choppa/fuck-a-lot-of-women-get-to-the-choppa.jpg

Muddy
10-11-2011, 08:00 PM
:lol:

Deepsepia
10-12-2011, 02:08 AM
What's needed is a passcode, which if entered, restore the phone to factory default.

Havent seen an app for that, but it definitely makes sense.

PorkChopSandwiches
10-12-2011, 02:44 PM
All smart phones have that. Its usually a few steps to get to it so you dont reset it by accident. But, it would probably be to hard to hurry and do it in the time you get pulled over and the cop gets to your window :lol:

Acid Trip
10-12-2011, 02:48 PM
What's needed is a passcode, which if entered, restore the phone to factory default.

Havent seen an app for that, but it definitely makes sense.

I swear I've seen that as an app but it's a little different. On the 3rd or 5th in correct password try it does a factory reset on the phone. I'll see if I can find it.