PDA

View Full Version : 6 killed in Southern California salon shooting

Teh One Who Knocks
10-12-2011, 10:53 PM
By GILLIAN FLACCUS, Associated Press Gillian Flaccus, Associated Press

http://i.imgur.com/K7wLn.jpg

SEAL BEACH, Calif. – Six people were killed and three were wounded Wednesday in a shooting at a hair salon in a normally sedate Southern California beach community, authorities said.

The six deaths were confirmed and the other three victims were taken to a hospital in critical condition, police Sgt. Steve Bowles told The Associated Press.

Police arrested a man in a traffic stop a half-mile from the shooting scene and he was taken into custody, Bowles told KCAL-TV. He added that multiple weapons were seized.

Los Alamitos police Capt. Bruce McAlpine, whose department was assisting, said the shooting in Salon Meritage was reported at 1:21 p.m. in a cluster of small businesses on Pacific Coast Highway.

The motive was unknown, he said.

Several visibly distressed people stood near the scene talking on cellphones or to police. They declined to be interviewed.

"All I heard was a siren and then after that one of my co-workers got a phone call from her nephew. He was outdoors when the suspect got into his truck and took off," said Cindy Spinosa, 51, who works at a nearby business.

"It's a little disarming," she said. "This is such a quiet community. We don't expect things like this."

Relatives of victims in the salon shooting were being taken to a nearby spiritual center.

The city had only one homicide last year and none during the previous three years, according to statistics compiled by the Police Department.

The quiet beachfront city of about 25,000 residents identifies itself as the Gateway to Southern California's Orange County and is located about 30 miles southeast of Los Angeles.

It is home to Leisure World, a gated senior citizen community of 9,000 people, as well as the Seal Beach Naval Weapons Station military complex. Two-thirds of the city's 13.23 square miles are occupied by the Seal Beach National Wildlife Refuge.

The city, incorporated in 1915 and sandwiched between the Long Beach Harbor and the famous surfing spot of Huntington Beach, boasts on its website of having "retained its quaint, small-town atmosphere."

The most common crime reported in Seal Beach last year was larceny, with 368 cases reported. There were four rapes reported in 2010, up from two the previous year. There were six robberies, up from 11 the previous year, and 71 assaults, down from 89 the previous year.

JoeyB
10-12-2011, 11:05 PM
This is sad...

I am about to admit something kind of terrible...but I opened this thread, read the title referring to the carnage, and then saw the picture where the salon awning reads:

"a fine blend of hair, skin, and nails".

And yes...I laughed...

KevinD
10-13-2011, 12:22 AM
Joey, you are a sick, sick b-tard.....

I love that about you!

Sad thing, can't help but wonder why it happened.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-13-2011, 12:24 AM
If only California had strict gun control laws then things like this wouldn't.......oh wait.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-13-2011, 12:25 AM
This is sad...

I am about to admit something kind of terrible...but I opened this thread, read the title referring to the carnage, and then saw the picture where the salon awning reads:

"a fine blend of hair, skin, and nails".

And yes...I laughed...

I didn't notice that until you pointed it out....then I laughed too :doh:

PorkChopSandwiches
10-13-2011, 02:11 AM
If only California had strict gun control laws then things like this wouldn't.......oh wait.

:lol:

But seriously "The city had only one homicide last year and none during the previous three years"

deebakes
10-13-2011, 03:44 AM
:rip:

JoeyB
10-13-2011, 04:08 AM
Joey, you are a sick, sick b-tard.....
I love that about you!

Sad thing, can't help but wonder why it happened.

I had a traumatic childhood, I just assume that's where I went wr...OH...no, the shooting. Yeah...

I didn't notice that until you pointed it out....then I laughed too :doh:

Sometimes it's easier to laugh than let yourself get destroyed by these stories.