PDA

View Full Version : High School Cheerleaders Chastised for 'Inappropriate' Breast Cancer T-Shirts

Teh One Who Knocks
10-14-2011, 10:08 PM
by Hayley Ringle - The Arizona Republic

http://i.imgur.com/LVD5E.png

Gilbert High School has banned a cheerleading squad trying to raise money for breast-cancer research from wearing their pink shirts because the administration contends they carry an objectionable slogan.

The shirts, which say "Gilbert cheer" on the front and "Feel for lumps, save your bumps" on the back, were bought for the 56 freshman, junior varsity and varsity cheerleaders for $470, said Gayleen Skowronek, the cheer booster-club president.

The girls planned to wear the shirt at Friday's football game and the next home football game as they cheered and then walk around to collect money from the crowd.

Varsity cheerleader Natalie Skowronek, Gayleen's daughter, said her squad should have the right to wear the shirt and doesn't think the saying is inappropriate. "We're not saying anything a doctor wouldn't say," said Natalie, 17, a Gilbert High junior.

Gilbert High School Principal J. Charles Santa Cruz said he took exception to the slogan and the shirts were never approved by administration. He told Gayleen Skowronek last Friday the shirts were not allowed.

"In no way is the school administration against Breast Cancer Awareness Month or initiatives students might take in support of it; we just want to make sure we're in the bounds of appropriate boundaries of a school setting," Santa Cruz said.

The cheerleaders said they wanted to wear a shirt during their fundraising to coincide with the pink tape, gloves, shoelaces and wrist bands the football players are wearing during October, known nationwide as Breast Cancer Awareness Month. The football players are also wearing breast-cancer awareness stickers on their helmets.

Varsity cheerleader Ashlee Burnau said she thinks administration is "blowing this out of proportion."

"All we want to do is support the cause and raise money for breast-cancer research," said Ashlee, 16, a junior.

Santa Cruz said the shirts could be worn if they were modified to remove or cover up the "Save your bumps" slogan. Or, he said, the cheerleaders could wear plain pink shirts with no slogans.

"When we start combining those words and trying to be cute, I was concerned how it would impact the student body if it were worn for a prolonged period of time," Santa Cruz said.

Gayleen Skowronek said the administration approved the fundraising, and she didn't think she needed to get the shirt approved as well, she said.

"We thought the shirt was age-appropriate," said Skowronek, who plans to wear the shirt to Friday's football game. "I think it's hypocritical they would approve a fundraiser for breast-cancer research but they won't approve a shirt to bring awareness to breast cancer."

The cheerleaders say their slogan pales in comparison to some of the other sayings allowed on other shirts and some of the attire allowed at football games. Some students wear sports bras and paint their stomachs to support the team.

Other students wear "I (heart) boobies" rubber bracelets in support of breast-cancer awareness. The items are sold by the Keep A Breast Foundation, a non-profit organization, who said on their website their mission is to "help eradicate breast cancer by exposing young people to methods of prevention, early detection and support."

The "boobies" saying has caused a stir at many schools nationwide; they have banned the bracelets because administrators believe the language is inappropriate.

Santa Cruz said he wasn't aware of students wearing these bracelets on campus.

Superintendent Dave Allison said some Gilbert junior-high students wore the "I (heart) boobies" bracelets last year and the junior-high campuses banned them because they were inappropriate.

The girls also said they have seen Gilbert High choir shirts with the words, "I'd hit that," referring to a note. Santa Cruz said the shirts were worn last year and he advised the choir teacher the shirts were inappropriate and shouldn't be worn.

The cheerleaders also said they've seen Gilbert High American sign-language club shirts said, "I'm good with my hands." Another breast-cancer awareness shirt they've seen is "Save second base."

"What's the difference?" said Natalie, referring to their shirt. "This (the saying) isn't even sexual."

Santa Cruz said all shirts should be approved by administration and fit the guidelines of what's appropriate.

"When we see it, we address it," he said.

The girls had planned to protest Friday by not cheering at the game, but instead wear the shirts and stand outside the football stadium to collect money. They hope to collect at least $500 this month and donate it to Susan G. Komen for the Cure.

However, they were told by their coach that if they protest, there will be consequences, although the girls aren't sure what could happen. They're fine with being suspended for a game, but fear being kicked off the cheerleading squad.

"Why are we going to suffer consequences for expressing ourselves?" Ashlee said.

Santa Cruz said the cheerleaders represent the school, and if they wear the shirts, they would be "defying authority." He said he's not sure what would happen if they wear the shirts. If people complained, he said he would have a conference with the students.

"Going counter to that directive would really weaken their position as student leaders and members of the team," Santa Cruz said.

Beverly Kruse, executive director of the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Phoenix affiliate, said she respects the principal's decision and only the principal can decide what he feels is in the best interest for students.

"I think it's wonderful that this group of kids is elevating awareness. That part I applaud," Kruse said. "Unfortunately, they're caught in this decision."

DemonGeminiX
10-14-2011, 10:17 PM
I felt a lot of bumps back in high school.

:shifty:

JoeyB
10-14-2011, 10:28 PM
I felt a lot of bumps back in high school.

:shifty:

Grabbing your ballsack while lying in bed jerking off to romance novels does not qualify as 'feeling bumps'.

deebakes
10-14-2011, 11:00 PM
:hitit:

DemonGeminiX
10-14-2011, 11:04 PM
Grabbing your ballsack while lying in bed jerking off to romance novels does not qualify as 'feeling bumps'.

So did someone have to explain that one to you, or did you figure it out all on your own?

:-s

JoeyB
10-14-2011, 11:22 PM
So did someone have to explain that one to you, or did you figure it out all on your own?

:-s

I figured it out on my own. Or Dee told me, time blurs memories. And time ruins mammaries...