PDA

View Full Version : 3-D Movies Boost Headaches, Not Enjoyment

Teh One Who Knocks
10-15-2011, 03:02 PM
MyHealthNewsDaily

http://i.imgur.com/ilWJU.jpg

Three-dimensional movies might not be worth their high ticket price.

Moviegoers who watch 3-D films do not experience more intense emotional reactions or a greater sense of "being there" than those who watch 2-D movies, a new study finds. The 3-D versions also don't help you remember the movie better than 2-D versions.

The 3-D movies did, on the other hand, come with a risk of discomfort. Compared with 2-D movie watchers, 3-D movie-watchers were about three times more likely to have eyestrain, headache or trouble with vision, the study showed.

Some people may still prefer to see 3-D movies because they like the movie for other reasons, such as snazzy special effects, the researchers said.

But "all other things being equal, I would say you're increasing your chances of having some discomfort," said study researcher L. Mark Carrier, of California State University, Dominguez Hills, who studies the affects of technology on psychological processes.

Consumers should know "they're aren’t going to be any benefits in terms of understanding the movie better or making the movie more meaningful, as far as we can tell," Carrier said.

Carrier presented his work here on Sunday (Aug. 7) at the America Psychological Association's annual meeting. The work has not been published in a peer-reviewed journal.

Getting your money's worth?
Carrier and colleagues had 400 students watch one of three movies in either 2-D or 3-D: "Alice in Wonderland," "Clash of the Titans" or "How to Train Your Dragon."

After viewing the film, participants went home and completed an online survey. They were asked to rate how realistic the movie was to them and to report emotions and sensations they experienced, which they selected from a list of 60 words. The words ranged from mild emotions, such as "enjoyment," to more intense ones, including "anger" and "rage." Participants were also quizzed on their knowledge of the film.

The survey showed that neither group remembered the movie better than the other. It also showed that 3-D movie-watchers did not experience a greater sense of immersion in the movie's world, nor did they pay more attention to the film or report experiencing more intense emotions.

On average, tickets for 3-D movies cost $3 more than tickets for 2-D movies, the researchers said.

Implications for education
The researchers were surprised by their results.

"Many of us were like, 3-D movies are so cool, it's gotta do something," Carrier said.

It's been thought that 3-D movies or virtual environments enhance learning and memory. One hypothesis is that a 3-D environment is more exciting, particularly for children, and this excitement may translate into heightened interest and motivation to learn, Carrier said.

Some companies that have built virtual environments are prompting their use for education.

"It didn’t seem to enhance your memory at all," Carrier said. "That’s an unfortunate implication." Carrier and colleagues continue to analyze their data to further understand the impact of the 3-D movie experience on participants' emotions.

redred
10-15-2011, 03:06 PM
still not seen a 3D flick and tbh not that bothered

Teh One Who Knocks
10-15-2011, 03:13 PM
still not seen a 3D flick and tbh not that bothered

Same here Red...no desire and I've heard this issue in a lot of different places

Godfather
10-15-2011, 03:39 PM
I saw Jackass, Zombieland and Avatar in 3D

Avatar was the only one that looked really great in 3D, enough so that I didn't really enjoy it when I watched it again on Blu-ray. The other two movies looked sharp still (more real than high-def). What I appreciated was that there were only a few seconds of the entire movie where they really used the 3D as a 'prop' (ie. stuff flying at you), so it doesn't feel corny or over-hyped. The down side is that the glasses get a bit uncomfortable but truly it does look pretty neat.

No headaches though... in fact, I went with good sized groups of friends to all three and heard no such complaint. Who are the whiners who complete these surveys? :lol:

I think you have to see something in it before you make your mind up based on some news article :mrgreen:

Deepsepia
10-15-2011, 04:18 PM
I've seen Avatar, one of the Harry Potters, and Tron.

Only avatar was really worth it. The biggest problem, IMO, is at the 3D versions are significantly dimmer than the 2D versions. Part of the pleasure of a good movie is the crispness of the image.

But

If you've seen them one a high quality 3D TV, the quality is astonishing -- much, much better than in the theater. you're using better glasses at home, and the screen is pumping out more light. Is very cool, but not many people have these sets.

Godfather
10-15-2011, 04:21 PM
That's so true. I love the ones they have on display at Futureshop or Bestbuy. Even under those big lights, those TV's look great. The glasses are infinitely better. Then again they should be, each pair costs $200, let alone the $2500 tv itself :lol:

I'd kill to play some Call of Duty on one :-k

Hal-9000
10-15-2011, 07:25 PM
I'm reminded of the movie The Jerk

I wouldn't trust the tech in the new eyewear...

JoeyB
10-15-2011, 08:55 PM
I'm reminded of the movie The Jerk

I wouldn't trust the tech in the new eyewear...

And you shouldn't...research has shown that it is difficult for your brain to process these images and it does lead to eyestrain, it's not a few whiners but a serious widespread problem, one inherent to the 3D experience.

Only real life is safely 3D.

Godfather
10-16-2011, 05:54 AM
Meh, sitting 16 inches from LED and LCD screens, with cell phones beside our brains, laptop batteries on our crotches, cheap headphones in our ears and wifi (and half a dozen other waves) flying around isn't likely to do much good for our bodies either.

We're all probably fucked because the technology we surround ourselves with is brand spankin' new and unproven in the long term :lol:

Deepsepia
10-16-2011, 09:16 AM
And you shouldn't...research has shown that it is difficult for your brain to process these images and it does lead to eyestrain, it's not a few whiners but a serious widespread problem, one inherent to the 3D experience.

Only real life is safely 3D.

I dunno. FPS games reliably make me nauseated, but I'm OK with 3D.

There's also evidence that a lot of experience with 3D stuff improves spatial memory.