PDA

View Full Version : 50% of American's want to legalize marijuana

Acid Trip
10-17-2011, 07:16 PM
Record-High 50% of Americans Favor Legalizing Marijuana Use
Liberals and those 18 to 29 most in favor; Americans 65 and older most opposed
by Frank Newport

PRINCETON, NJ -- A record-high 50% of Americans now say the use of marijuana should be made legal, up from 46% last year. Forty-six percent say marijuana use should remain illegal.

http://sas-origin.onstreammedia.com/origin/gallupinc/GallupSpaces/Production/Cms/POLL/f9nyco05-um-ww_mfbuo9q.gif

When Gallup first asked about legalizing marijuana, in 1969, 12% of Americans favored it, while 84% were opposed. Support remained in the mid-20s in Gallup measures from the late 1970s to the mid-1990s, but has crept up since, passing 30% in 2000 and 40% in 2009 before reaching the 50% level in this year's Oct. 6-9 annual Crime survey.

According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, "Marijuana is the most commonly abused illicit drug in the United States." The National Survey on Drug Use and Health in 2009 found that "16.7 million Americans aged 12 or older used marijuana at least once in the month prior to being surveyed, an increase over the rates reported in all years between 2002 and 2008."

The advocacy group National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws claims that marijuana is the third-most-popular recreational drug in America, behind only alcohol and tobacco. Some states have decriminalized marijuana's use, some have made it legal for medicinal use, and some officials, including former U.S. Surgeon General Joycelyn Elders, have called for legalizing its use.

A Gallup survey last year found that 70% favored making it legal for doctors to prescribe marijuana in order to reduce pain and suffering. Americans have consistently been more likely to favor the use of marijuana for medicinal purposes than to favor its legalization generally.

Younger Americans Most in Favor of Legalizing Marijuana

Support for legalizing marijuana is directly and inversely proportional to age, ranging from 62% approval among those 18 to 29 down to 31% among those 65 and older. Liberals are twice as likely as conservatives to favor legalizing marijuana. And Democrats and independents are more likely to be in favor than are Republicans.

More men than women support legalizing the drug. Those in the West and Midwest are more likely to favor it than those in the South.

PorkChopSandwiches
10-17-2011, 07:22 PM
http://29.media.tumblr.com/MhArk9gLvfewgk71fxaw05sjo1_500.jpg

Acid Trip
10-17-2011, 07:31 PM
As soon as all the old people die off weed will finally be legal again. Time is a wonderful thing...

PorkChopSandwiches
10-17-2011, 07:33 PM
talk about a waste of money

Acid Trip
10-17-2011, 07:38 PM
talk about a waste of money

It's not a waste if you're one of the federal/state employees (unionized, Democrat supporters of course) that gets paid big bucks to fight a battle that can't be won.

PorkChopSandwiches
10-17-2011, 07:47 PM
It's not a waste if you're one of the federal/state employees (unionized, Democrat supporters of course) that gets paid big bucks to fight a battle that can't be won.

Yeah, just if you're a tax payer

DemonGeminiX
10-17-2011, 07:51 PM

:-s

So what you're saying is that unionized federal/state employees can't be Republican supporters, and Republicans support legalizing marijuana?

Muddy
10-17-2011, 07:54 PM

So what you're saying is that unionized federal/state employees can't be Republican supporters, and Republicans support legalizing marijuana?

I bet you everyone of those bums terrorizing Wall Street right now smokes weed.. :lol:

Godfather
10-17-2011, 08:01 PM
I grew up in a very affluent neighborhood, and half those kids smoked weed with their rich-ass parents. :lol: I've got an uncle who went to Princeton business school and I've been around he and his filthy rich buddies when they party - plenty of weed there too :lol: Weed knows no bounds!!

Acid Trip
10-17-2011, 08:03 PM

Since 1990, labor unions have contributed over $667 million in election campaigns in the United States, of which $614 million or 92 percent went to support Democratic candidates.

Resource: http://www.aier.org/research/briefs/1550-obama-thanks-his-friends-government-spending-and-union-support

So on one hand liberals say "yeah dude, let's legalize marijuana" but at the same time one of the liberals biggest supporters (unions) are against it because they'd lose out on a lot of police/federal jobs and all the union dues/voting power those jobs represent.

Classic shell game. Pretend to give with one hand and take with the other.

Muddy
10-17-2011, 08:14 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ByXumP29R7Y/TWK_Apoy64I/AAAAAAAAAJU/0Xlr3XEIXgY/s1600/Frankenface.gif

Joebob034
10-17-2011, 08:28 PM
You mean it's not? Didn't stop me this weekend :dance:

Hal-9000
10-17-2011, 09:39 PM
I was wasted on Kush and playing Fallout for 50% of the weekend

Muddy
10-17-2011, 09:43 PM
I thought you laid off the devils weed?

Hal-9000
10-17-2011, 09:58 PM
again...I quit often :rolleyes:

I give in easily to peer pressure :oops:

JoeyB
10-17-2011, 11:10 PM

Half right, as usual. Reagen's war on drugs, still being fought, is pointless and cannot be won. I've said it before, I don't do drugs but pot should be legalized and taxed, and this would be a boon to our economy. Instead of wasting massive amounts of money fighting pot and incarcerating non-violent pot dealers, we could instead not only save that money but create a massive income stream out of the taxes. And it would still be cheaper for the buyer, because taxed or not you take out the 'criminal' element and legally grown pot would be very cheap indeed. Also...then you can drop this nonsense about hemp...and hemp would be a boon to us...it has a lot of uses and is easy to grow...damn. So many good reasons.

DGX gets this.

again...I quit often :rolleyes:

I give in easily to peer pressure :oops:

So noted.

[B]Since 1990, labor unions have contributed over $667 million in election campaigns in the United States, of which $614 million or 92 percent went to support Democratic candidates.

Which means...nothing. Hey, the Koch bothers and all those other billionaires give fortunes to the republicans who exist solely to make sure the rich stay on top.

Listen...nobody here except possibly you thinks that the conservatives are the ones calling for the legalization of pot and that the liberals are the ones against it.

Being anti pot is one of the hallmarks of the conservatives dude. What the fuck?

Hal-9000
10-18-2011, 12:36 AM
I was in a room with some snowboarders... and thought someone was smoking an American cigarette...it smelled strange.... and later I had these cravings for bacon and ice cream on toast.

I didn't inhale tho :hand:

Leefro
10-18-2011, 12:39 AM
So do the people who don't give a fuck make up some of the 50% who want to legalize it ?

Muddy
10-18-2011, 12:39 AM
I had some lung expander Saturday night.

Hal-9000
10-18-2011, 12:49 AM
I had some lung expander Saturday night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjZCwuXxQOs&feature=related

Muddy
10-18-2011, 12:52 AM
And I was in a 1931 Ford Model-A at the time... Awesome..

Hal-9000
10-18-2011, 01:54 AM
And I was in a 1931 Ford Model-A at the time... Awesome..

Guy must have been pretty cool to let that happen :thumbsup:

My buddy in high school had a rich Dad..check out the choices of rides he could take daily...to school,
58 Austin Healey
72 BMW
32 Morgan (kit car, not restored)
Lotus (don't know the year but 60's for sure)
Oldsmobile Regency :lol:

We did the MFLB (marijuana for lunch bunch) in his Austin, his BMW and the regency...

deebakes
10-18-2011, 02:04 AM
<-------- part of the 50%

Hal-9000
10-18-2011, 02:09 AM
I'm part of the 48%

JoeyB
10-18-2011, 06:43 AM
I'm part of the 48%

Maybe you need an upgrade.