PDA

View Full Version : Slow Zombies or Fast Zombies?

Hal-9000
10-19-2011, 03:43 PM
The movie genre began with the slow, lumbering zombies that never gave up.Then, in recent times, the speedier zombies showed up and added another level of terror to getting your flesh ripped off and eaten.

I like both....the slow ones have that 'never say die' attitude and keep on comin.The fast ones keep a person on his toes no matter what :lol:

Preferences and why?

Teh One Who Knocks
10-19-2011, 03:45 PM
Slow zombies, not even a contest :hand:

DemonGeminiX
10-19-2011, 03:55 PM
Slow zombies, not even a contest :hand:

Nice explanation. :rolleyes:

Fast zombies. You can outrun slow zombies all day. It's far scarier if they can outrun your sorry out of shape ass.

Godfather
10-19-2011, 03:55 PM
Slow zombies are classic - fast are great too if it's a good movie :lol: I loved 28 Days Later and I Am Legend with fast neo-zombies

The classic Living Dead movies, Zombieland, The Walking Dead, they're the best. It makes the genre more about survival, being a 'last man on earth', the true evil of man, all that good zombie-genre stuff.

Fast zombies can quickly become nothing more than slasher-horror, not much different than being chased by aliens or communists :P

Teh One Who Knocks
10-19-2011, 03:57 PM
Nice explanation. :rolleyes:

Fast zombies. You can outrun slow zombies all day. It's far scarier if they can outrun your sorry out of shape ass.

When there is only one correct answer you don't need an explanation :hand:

DemonGeminiX
10-19-2011, 03:59 PM
When there is only one correct answer you don't need an explanation :hand:

Too bad your answer was WRONG.

:nana:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-19-2011, 04:00 PM
Fast zombies can quickly become nothing more than slasher-horror, not much different than being chased by aliens or communists :P

:gimme5:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-19-2011, 04:00 PM
Too bad your answer was WRONG.

It's okay sunshine, whatever you need to tell yourself to try and validate your incorrect opinion :empathy:

DemonGeminiX
10-19-2011, 04:05 PM
Slow zombies are classic - fast are great too if it's a good movie :lol: I loved 28 Days Later and I Am Legend with fast neo-zombies

The classic Living Dead movies, Zombieland, The Walking Dead, they're the best. It makes the genre more about survival, being a 'last man on earth', the true evil of man, all that good zombie-genre stuff.

:nono:

Bullshit. It's all about survival and evil, and the fast zombies tax you that much more.

DemonGeminiX
10-19-2011, 04:05 PM
It's okay sunshine, whatever you need to tell yourself to try and validate your incorrect opinion :empathy:

:stfu:

Leefro
10-19-2011, 04:07 PM
Most people had a bloke near them when you was a kid who you were warned to stay away from

Where we lived we had 3 like that and one of those was a right loon you would cheek him for ages and run off but he would never chase you but walk and lumber and lumber slowly after you and this would imo opinion shit you up 100% more

Teh One Who Knocks
10-19-2011, 04:08 PM
:stfu:

:dance:

PorkChopSandwiches
10-19-2011, 04:09 PM
I thought the fast zombies (like in I am legend) were bullshit, these things are dead and decomposing. How are they going to be all agile and fast, and not only that, more agile and fast then they were before they died.

DemonGeminiX
10-19-2011, 04:09 PM

:nutkick:

DemonGeminiX
10-19-2011, 04:10 PM
I thought the fast zombies (like in I am legend) were bullshit, these things are dead and decomposing. How are they going to be all agile and fast, and not only that, more agile and fast then they were before they died.

They work out with personal trainers before they eat them.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-19-2011, 04:11 PM

:cheers:

Leefro
10-19-2011, 04:12 PM
Please dont let facts get in the way of opinion

DemonGeminiX
10-19-2011, 04:13 PM
Y'all don't know.

[-(

Leefro
10-19-2011, 04:14 PM
Y'all don't know.

[-(

At last my Sig will mean something

DemonGeminiX
10-19-2011, 04:14 PM
At last my Sig will mean something

:slap:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-19-2011, 04:18 PM
Y'all don't know.

[-(

:empathy:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-19-2011, 04:19 PM
And besides, there's a reason zombies are called the walking dead :nono:

They aren't the Track & Field Dead ffs

Joebob034
10-19-2011, 04:20 PM
I always thought that if it were to really happen the first zombies would be slow because they're dead, decomposing bodies. But the later ones that get infected from just a bite or a virus would probably be fast because they were living people that would only be dead for a short period of time before they transform. Over time however they might slow down.

Leefro
10-19-2011, 04:26 PM
Maybe it's cause time even for zombies comes evolution

Pony
10-19-2011, 04:36 PM
http://i.imgur.com/VbHd9.jpg

Noilly Pratt
10-19-2011, 04:39 PM
I say both...to quote Forrest Gump so "you never know what you gonna get."

See the fast Zombies still have part of their brains working, but the slow ones are the brainless ones, but you can't tell the difference.

A new question to the lexicon...boxers or briefs, Ginger or MaryAnne, slow or fast....

DemonGeminiX
10-19-2011, 04:40 PM
All you slow zombie supporters are voting out of fear. Fear that if a zombie apocalypse actually comes to pass, you won't have an easy time getting away from a zombie attack if they're really fast. Lance won't be able to reload his guns fast enough, they'll be on him in seconds.

If they're slow, no problem, you can get away or pick them off one by one from a distance without a worry. It justifies your laziness. If they're fast, you're lunch.

Lazy people.

[-(

Teh One Who Knocks
10-19-2011, 04:47 PM
All you slow zombie supporters are voting out of fear. Fear that if a zombie apocalypse actually comes to pass, you won't have an easy time getting away from a zombie attack if they're really fast. Lance won't be able to reload his guns fast enough, they'll be on him in seconds.

If they're slow, no problem, you can get away or pick them off one by one from a distance without a worry. It justifies your laziness. If they're fast, you're lunch.

Lazy people.

[-(

If slow zombies are so easy to deal with, then why in the last episode of the Walking Dead did the group hide from the herd of zombies that showed up? Huh? Huh? Huh? Huh? Huh?

Yeah, that's what I thought :hand:

DemonGeminiX
10-19-2011, 04:50 PM
Whatever you say, TheLunchinator.

:thumbsup:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-19-2011, 04:52 PM
The last ditch attempt of the wrong....when confronted with overwhelming logic, resort to taunting. :nono:

Game, set, and match to the slow zombies :cheers:

PorkChopSandwiches
10-19-2011, 04:53 PM
http://media4.teenormous.com/items/www.psychoreindeer.com/images-t-shirts-slow-art-search.jpg

PorkChopSandwiches
http://android.gadgetsfolder.com/uploadfiles/androidgadgetsfoldercom-1312633493/fast-zombies-vs-slow-zombies-comics-_1.jpg

Leefro
In most if not all zombie films they will get you in the end

Slow makes it more fearsome does it not

DemonGeminiX
10-19-2011, 04:58 PM
In most if not all zombie films they will get you in the end

Slow makes it more fearsome does it not

It was, until I saw the fuckers start running. Then I thought about it and said, "If those bastards could actually run after my ass, there ain't no way in hell anybody's getting away".

Goofy
10-19-2011, 07:54 PM
Slow Zombies are the only true Zombies (going with the original Romero style), considering their flesh is rotting and they're slowly decomposing it would seem a bit stupid if they could run :)

MrsM
10-19-2011, 07:55 PM
Slow Zombies are the only true Zombies (going with the original Romero style), considering their flesh is rotting and they're slowly decomposing it would seem a bit stupid if they could run :)

This ^^^

Goofy
10-19-2011, 07:56 PM
All you slow zombie supporters are voting out of fear. Fear that if a zombie apocalypse actually comes to pass, you won't have an easy time getting away from a zombie attack if they're really fast.

Real zombies CANT be fast - see my previous post for details of your severe wrongness :D

Goofy
10-19-2011, 07:56 PM
This ^^^

:hi5:

DemonGeminiX
10-19-2011, 08:38 PM

Not if they haven't been dead for very long.

JoeyB
10-19-2011, 08:56 PM
Fast zombies are for losers (not Loser, losers). You may as well be chased by a pack of teenage ruffians, it's nothing special. It's pointless.

Slow zombies represent something very insidious. Creeping doom. Sure, you can outrun them, until you tire, they never will...you can outfight them, until their sheer numbers overwhelm you...and of course, the zombies moving slow gives you something worse than anything they might do to you...it gives you hope. And that hope may well betray you. Slow zombies also mean you have time to make preparations, but that only intensifies your fear...anticipation is torment. When you are fighting, you are not thinking, you are reacting; but when you are sitting and waiting as the creeping undead slowly swarm your makeshift shelter, that will eat you up inside.

But the best part of slow zombies...it magnifies the speed and puts on display the manic and panic of the living.

The slow horror of true zombies has even been lifted into films where the monsters are fast. Look at the wonderfully brilliant Dog Soldiers. They were basically holed up waiting for the zombie hordes. They were panicked, they were in a nightmare. Sure, when the werewolves came they came fast, but the makers of that film really took advantage of the down time to build the horror up.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-19-2011, 09:08 PM

It's : gimme5 : :facepalm:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-19-2011, 09:08 PM
Fast zombies are for losers (not Loser, losers). You may as well be chased by a pack of teenage ruffians, it's nothing special. It's pointless.

Slow zombies represent something very insidious. Creeping doom. Sure, you can outrun them, until you tire, they never will...you can outfight them, until their sheer numbers overwhelm you...and of course, the zombies moving slow gives you something worse than anything they might do to you...it gives you hope. And that hope may well betray you. Slow zombies also mean you have time to make preparations, but that only intensifies your fear...anticipation is torment. When you are fighting, you are not thinking, you are reacting; but when you are sitting and waiting as the creeping undead slowly swarm your makeshift shelter, that will eat you up inside.

But the best part of slow zombies...it magnifies the speed and puts on display the manic and panic of the living.

The slow horror of true zombies has even been lifted into films where the monsters are fast. Look at the wonderfully brilliant Dog Soldiers. They were basically holed up waiting for the zombie hordes. They were panicked, they were in a nightmare. Sure, when the werewolves came they came fast, but the makers of that film really took advantage of the down time to build the horror up.

:clap:

Goofy
10-19-2011, 09:11 PM

It's : gimme5 : :facepalm:

:nohi5:

SmoothBob
10-19-2011, 09:31 PM
Only good Zombie is a dead Zombie..

And the only 'real' ones are the slow ones, the others aint Zombies. 28 Days Later? They aint Zombies, i get so tired of arguing wi people over that one that these days i just shoot them in the head and hang around to see if their gonna turn so i can go 'See, NOW ur a Zombie..'

Hal-9000
10-19-2011, 09:52 PM
Interesting...

I agree with DGX :lol:

Why not fast zombies? If Usain Bolt got turned last night do you think he'd slow down just to fit the stereotype? Noooooo, he'd run your fat ass down in a heartbeat.
I can understand the older corpses being slower because of degeneration, but not every zombie has been in the grave for 5 years.

JoeyB
10-19-2011, 09:56 PM
Interesting...

I agree with DGX :lol:

Why not fast zombies? If Usain Bolt got turned last night do you think he'd slow down just to fit the stereotype? Noooooo, he'd run your fat ass down in a heartbeat.
I can understand the older corpses being slower because of degeneration, but not every zombie has been in the grave for 5 years.

It's impractical to discuss the science of zombies...zombies ain't that real. Horror should not be bound by science, unless you are examining science as horror (Frankenstein...), the real argument about zombies is the cinematic one...and fast zombies ruin the whole pleasure of the genre. Again, why even have zombies? Just have a gang of rapists chase the heroes around.

Creeping doom...it's where the moves draw their strength.

Hal-9000
10-19-2011, 09:58 PM
The fast ones scare the shit out of me.The slow ones....notsomuch.

I recall a line in a story by Stephen King.The character is reading about the Mummy and makes mention of not being very scared.He sarcastically quips, " Oh no....here comes the mummy...we had better run...in a minute...:|

:lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-19-2011, 10:00 PM
One mummy doesn't equal thousands of zombies :nono:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-19-2011, 10:05 PM
[COLOR="blue"Again, why even have zombies? Just have a gang of rapists chase the heroes around.[/COLOR]

Or werewolves or vampires or anything like that which can move quickly and overwhelm someone.

Leefro
10-19-2011, 10:17 PM
One mummy doesn't equal thousands of zombies :nono:

Wrong as you aint seen mine :(

*sorry mother

Teh One Who Knocks
10-19-2011, 10:17 PM
:rimshot:

Hal-9000
10-19-2011, 10:20 PM
If all zombies were sloooooow, all I would need is a baseball bat and a machete.

You hit their ambulating limbs to halt their motion and then use the machete to remove those pesky arms, legs and heads :thumbsup:

Hal-9000
10-19-2011, 10:20 PM
Wrong as you aint seen mine :(

*sorry mother

:burn:

Muddy
10-19-2011, 10:22 PM
If I had to fight them, I would def. take the slow zombies....

DemonGeminiX
10-19-2011, 10:39 PM
The fast ones scare the shit out of me. The slow ones....notsomuch.

I recall a line in a story by Stephen King. The character is reading about the Mummy and makes mention of not being very scared. He sarcastically quips, " Oh no....here comes the mummy...we had better run...in a minute...:|

SmoothBob
10-19-2011, 11:08 PM
Yeah but Bolt burns a lot of energy and can only go in short bursts, the zombies were always better, almost like their bidding their time, they aint gotta sleep, they just gotta creep around, sooner or later.. BAMN, yer bit! :D

The main reason i always loved them is that it is only one bite, thats it. Yer other monsters can scratch n bite n whatever but if one zombie bit yi yer joining the ranks. Thats where the fear comes from..

Hal-9000
10-19-2011, 11:10 PM
Yeah but Bolt burns a lot of energy and can only go in short bursts, the zombies were always better, almost like their bidding their time, they aint gotta sleep, they just gotta creep around, sooner or later.. BAMN, yer bit! :D

The main reason i always loved them is that it is only one bite, thats it. Yer other monsters can scratch n bite n whatever but if one zombie bit yi yer joining the ranks. Thats where the fear comes from..

Yes the chewing flesh and brain part is pretty scary regardless of how fast you get infected too :lol:

SmoothBob
10-19-2011, 11:15 PM
Its gotta be pretty much at the top o worst ways to die, been eaten alive, jings!

Theres just somethin about a good zombie movie, they absolutley rock, even my missus loves them now ive had her watch a few. She draws the line at the old b movie ones though ha ha! She only likes the ones with 'modern' effects. But she loves The Walking Dead tv series too, i love sharing a passion :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-19-2011, 11:16 PM
I know it is absurd to debate the rules of a reality that does not exist, but this genuinely irks me. You cannot kill a vampire with an MDF stake; werewolves can't fly; zombies do not run. It's a misconception, a bastardisation that diminishes a classic movie monster. The best phantasmagoria uses reality to render the inconceivable conceivable. The speedy zombie seems implausible to me, even within the fantastic realm it inhabits. A biological agent, I'll buy. Some sort of super-virus? Sure, why not. But death? Death is a disability, not a superpower. It's hard to run with a cold, let alone the most debilitating malady of them all.

More significantly, the fast zombie is bereft of poetic subtlety. As monsters from the id, zombies win out over vampires and werewolves when it comes to the title of Most Potent Metaphorical Monster. Where their pointy-toothed cousins are all about sex and bestial savagery, the zombie trumps all by personifying our deepest fear: death. Zombies are our destiny writ large. Slow and steady in their approach, weak, clumsy, often absurd, the zombie relentlessly closes in, unstoppable, intractable.

However (and herein lies the sublime artfulness of the slow zombie), their ineptitude actually makes them avoidable, at least for a while. If you're careful, if you keep your wits about you, you can stave them off, even outstrip them - much as we strive to outstrip death. Drink less, cut out red meat, exercise, practice safe sex; these are our shotguns, our cricket bats, our farmhouses, our shopping malls. However, none of these things fully insulates us from the creeping dread that something so witless, so elemental may yet catch us unawares - the drunk driver, the cancer sleeping in the double helix, the legless ghoul dragging itself through the darkness towards our ankles

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/nov/04/television-simon-pegg-dead-set

Game, set, and match to the slow zombies :nana:

Hal-9000
10-19-2011, 11:16 PM
I liked the 28 Days movies...something about them running like feral dogs (or communists :lol: ffs GF) just jangles my nerves

Teh One Who Knocks
10-19-2011, 11:18 PM
28 Days Later is the worst, most overrated "horror" zombie film of all time :hand:

It's not even a real zombie movie FFS :facepalm:

DemonGeminiX
10-19-2011, 11:18 PM
It's impractical to discuss the science of zombies...zombies ain't that real. Horror should not be bound by science, unless you are examining science as horror (Frankenstein...), the real argument about zombies is the cinematic one...and fast zombies ruin the whole pleasure of the genre. Again, why even have zombies? Just have a gang of rapists chase the heroes around.

Creeping doom...it's where the moves draw their strength.

I disagree. You still have the terror, it's just faster. Rapists don't turn their victims into rapists. With fast zombies you still have the biological or paranormal agent which kills the victim and reanimates the body, they're still hungry, they're still coming after you, and what's worse? They're faster than you. You can outrun a slow zombie. Hell, you can outrun a slow zombie hoard. Check out the 1990 Night of the Living Dead remake. The bitch figures out that she can just walk past the lumbering slow zombies and get away. Now look at the Dawn of the Dead remake. The fuckers running after Sarah Polley's character were absolutely terrifying. No, sirs, the fast zombies are far more terrifying. Far more effective. If a zombie apocalypse happened today, I'd be all for them being slow as hell. If I had to face the fast ones, none of us would have a chance. We'd all be dead.

Hal-9000
10-19-2011, 11:20 PM
28 Days Later is the worst, most overrated "horror" zombie film of all time :hand:

It's not even a real zombie movie FFS :facepalm:

:hand: There is no rulebook, you're referencing the things you like... not the Big Book of Zombie Rules

Hal-9000
10-19-2011, 11:21 PM
(he's gonna find the book, just watch :lol:)

Teh One Who Knocks
10-19-2011, 11:23 PM
The only rulebook I need is the quote from Simon Pegg I posted 1 page back :hand:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-19-2011, 11:23 PM
And I didn't even like Shaun of the Dead FFS :x

DemonGeminiX
10-19-2011, 11:30 PM
I was asked my opinion and I gave it. I don't give a flying flip what anybody else thinks. There are no experts, George Romero isn't the gospel, and it's all just fiction. It can be anything we want it to be, just like how different authors make up their own rules for werewolves, vampires, ghosts, and everything else that goes bump in the night. Fast zombies could happen in the realm of the fantastical and as far as I'm concerned, they beat out slow zombies any day of the week.

If y'all don't like it, tough, bite me... but get a damn flu shot first.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-19-2011, 11:34 PM
:tumble:

DemonGeminiX
10-19-2011, 11:35 PM
http://www.thebuzzmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/my-hair-is-a-bird-argument-invalid.jpg

SmoothBob
10-19-2011, 11:44 PM
28 Days is NOT a zombie movie. What other 'fast zombie' are u referring to?

Hal-9000
10-20-2011, 12:36 AM
I was asked my opinion and I gave it. I don't give a flying flip what anybody else thinks. There are no experts, George Romero isn't the gospel, and it's all just fiction. It can be anything we want it to be, just like how different authors make up their own rules for werewolves, vampires, ghosts, and everything else that goes bump in the night. Fast zombies could happen in the realm of the fantastical and as far as I'm concerned, they beat out slow zombies any day of the week.

Church brother! :afro:

Hal-9000
10-20-2011, 12:37 AM

Yeah it is.

Do we need another thread? :lol:

Noilly Pratt
10-20-2011, 02:00 AM
Think of it this way...when zombie movies really gained favour was the 50's...the cold war...remember the Red Menace was supposed to be seeping into our society, turning us all slowly into "Commies". This is what the Zombie represented. The slow change of society.

But now we can bomb ourselves probably 5x over in a few seconds. So maybe the modern Zombie is fast where the original, de facto Zombie is slow.

Until later, comrades....

Noilly Pratt
10-20-2011, 02:05 AM

The 2 Daniel Craig movies where he's James Bond. After my wife watches them she gets this glazed look on her face and later that evening, she keeps saying "Oh James". Not that I mind... :D

JoeyB
10-20-2011, 03:40 AM

Zombies don't need no stinkin' flu shots.

For the sake of argument, ignore the biological disease aspect and exam 28 days later as a zombie film. Who were the real villains? The creepy soldiers luring in young girls, that's who. And that is a typical zombie film stalwart...with slow zombies you can watch the humans get creeped out, panic, and turn on each other. Every true zombie film deals with the worst betrayal of all, not the dead turning on you, but the living.

Fast zombies, rage victims, whatever they were, even 28 days later eventually turned into a slow zombie movie.

Fast zombies are not good for films...you can only run for so long...humans need a breather. Slow zombies provide for three very important cinematic elements:

1. Humans must stop and regroup, rest, recover.
2. Human interaction is the key to the drama and the panic.
3. Even while away from the zombies, they keep coming...slowly, surely...with dread and persistent terror. Suspense is built, not delivered in a horrific flash of fast monsters. That's more shock, more slasher film.

Fast zombie movies always just find loopholes to turn into slow zombie films...because fast zombies betray the very genre they represent.

Godfather
10-20-2011, 05:18 AM
The '28 Days Later Aren't Zombies' is a far too nerdy argument for my taste, and it's old now too... I mean I totally get it, but it doesn't serve the genre to try and sub-categorize or dissect it IMHO.

It hits it all: world has fallen apart , man is prey, one bite you're screwed, they're not affected by pain. It's a good, creepy movie. Why cast it off because they run fast and they aren't precisely 'risen from the dead'?

Like I said, I like slow classic zombies, but I'm nothing if not adaptable :P

JoeyB
10-20-2011, 05:21 AM
The '28 Days Later Aren't Zombies' is a far too nerdy argument for my taste, and it's old and tired now too... I mean I get it, but it doesn't serve the zombie genre to try and sub-categorize it that much or dissect it like that IMHO.

It hits all the right notes, world has fallen apart, man is the prey, one bit and you're screwed, they're not affected by regular pain.

Like I said, I like slow classic zombies, but I'm nothing if not adaptable :P

I wasn't debating either way, I was addressing both sides by asking for the concession that we analyze the film from a 'if they were zombies' perspective.

Godfather
10-20-2011, 05:27 AM
I wasn't addressing you or anyone in particular, just chiming in. I liked 28 Days Later a lot. The sequel was a let down but I'd kill for '28 Months Later'

JoeyB
10-20-2011, 05:29 AM
but I'd kill for '28 Months Later'

Fine...'jezter'. Make it happen.

Godfather
10-20-2011, 05:32 AM
I hear the sides that share the legal rights don't talk anymore so that's that...

The Walking Dead, Zombieland and the original and remake of Dawn of the Dead are my favorites from the zombie genre. All slow zombies which is great. But I'd watch almost any movie billed as 'zombies' fast or slow to give it a chance

There are so many zombie B-Movies out there. Any that are worth watching?

JoeyB
10-20-2011, 05:38 AM
I hear the sides that share the legal rights don't talk anymore so that's that...

The Walking Dead, Zombieland and the original and remake of Dawn of the Dead are my favorites from the zombie genre. All slow zombies which is great. But I'd watch almost any movie billed as 'zombies' fast or slow to give it a chance

I'm kind of old school...my zombie films are classics from prior to the golden zombie age, or those from the actual golden age of the 60's.

So unless you liked the original Night Of The Living Dead, I can't help you. I did like the Tony Todd remake of it though, and also the more recent film with Simon Baker 'Land of the Dead'.

Minor Land Of The Dead spoiler:
I liked that the zombies in the film showed that maybe they are not all brainless, after all...

Godfather
10-20-2011, 05:45 AM
I like all of Romero's films. Even if the last couple have gone downhill (Survival and Diary), he's 'the guy' in the genre. The remakes (Snyder, Miner, Savini) are worth watching too.

What are some of the other classics from that early era that I may not have seen?

JoeyB
10-20-2011, 05:54 AM

I like all of Romero's films. Even if the last couple have gone downhill (Survival and Diary), he's 'the guy' in the genre. The remakes (Snyder, Miner, Savini) are worth watching too.

What are some of the other classics from that early era that I may not have seen?

I'll recommend three from the sixties, in reverse order (most recent first)...

The original Night Of The Living Dead, especially if you haven't seen it in awhile. The first 'modern' zombie film.

Vincent Price as 'The Last Man On Earth', which is the most faithful adaptation of Richard Matheson's 'I Am Legend' and easily the best. Really, really disturbing and keeps the elements that make the title of the novel (again, 'I am legend') ironically powerful. Not really zombies, like 28 days later was not really zombies, but close enough and a precursor to what Romero would do in a couple of years with 'dead'. And, did I mention it stars Vincent Price? I did? Well...Vincent Price.

And, a film that I will tell you upfront will bore to tears 90% of the people who watch it, but the other ten percent (like myself) will find it mesmerizing. Again, I'm not exaggerating, most people will find it boring, and it was made on a shoe string budget..."Carnival Of Souls". If you are in the lucky 10%, it will blow your mind, otherwise you'll be pissed you bothered with it. This film was the one that led Romero to make 'Dead'. I am slightly obsessed with it...watch it when you are alone and it is dark outside, preferably late and quiet too...

Goofy
10-20-2011, 06:53 AM
And I didn't even like Shaun of the Dead FFS :x

:shock: I used to think of you as a friend too :sad2:

Yeah it is.

Do we need another thread? :lol:

28 Days is a genetically engineered 'rage' virus :nono:

DemonGeminiX
10-20-2011, 09:34 AM
28 Days is a genetically engineered 'rage' virus :nono:

Which turns their victims into fast running zombies.

DemonGeminiX
10-20-2011, 09:44 AM
Zombies don't need no stinkin' flu shots.

For the sake of argument, ignore the biological disease aspect blah, blah, blah, blah...

Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. There is no spoon. Then you'll see, that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself.

redred
10-20-2011, 03:02 PM
i'm happy with a mix of both

Joebob034
10-20-2011, 03:16 PM

they had fast zombies in the Dawn of the Dead remake

Muddy
10-20-2011, 03:20 PM
I saw the end of Shaun of the dead... I thought it was pretty cool how he put his friend in the shed... I liked it.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-20-2011, 03:29 PM

Which turns their victims into fast running zombies.

They aren't zombies, they're the "infected" :roll:

DemonGeminiX
10-20-2011, 03:33 PM

THANK YOU!

You say to-may-to, I say to-mah-to. They're zombies.

[-(

Teh One Who Knocks
10-20-2011, 03:40 PM

Key word being REMAKE...

:fail:

Godfather
10-20-2011, 03:43 PM

Semantics :lol: With one line changed in the script they could be classic zombies, but a virus is simply a more believable route to zombs.

People are scared of stuff being cooked up in secret laboratories. :mrgreen:

DemonGeminiX
10-20-2011, 03:45 PM
Key word being REMAKE...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=xECx-42Wlho

Teh One Who Knocks
10-20-2011, 03:59 PM
Semantics :lol: With one line changed in the script they could be classic zombies, but a virus is simply a more believable route to zombs.

People are scared of stuff being cooked up in secret laboratories. :mrgreen:

Semantics? :-s

Zombies are DEAD....Infected are sick...little more than just semantics involved. Next time you go see a doctor and you are sick, but they say your dead instead, see if you want to split hairs ;)

Teh One Who Knocks
10-20-2011, 03:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=xECx-42Wlho

Because somebody put it up on YT, it must definitely be true, what was I thinking? :thumbsup:

:rolleyes:

Godfather
10-20-2011, 04:01 PM

Zombies are DEAD....Infected are sick...little more than just semantics involved. Next time you go see a doctor and you are sick, but they say your dead instead, see if you want to split hairs ;)

It doesn't change anything in the movie... they're blood thirsty, highly infectious, single-minded, reasonably stupid, rotting, feel no pain. Miss 20 seconds of the movie and as far as you know they are 'dead.'

Zombies are probably impossible... a virus that turns people crazy isn't. The change in the script could be made with next to no effort, but Boyle hoped people wouldn't pine over one detail, which affects the background to the film and not the movie itself - and therefore it's semantics. :lol:

DemonGeminiX
10-20-2011, 04:03 PM

Not necessarliy, Voodoo zombies are still alive. They're not dead. A zombie, generally speaking, doesn't have to be dead.

Because somebody put it up on YT, it must definitely be true, what was I thinking? :thumbsup:

:rolleyes:

:-s

You didn't watch and listen to the video, did you?

Godfather
10-20-2011, 04:07 PM
I agree DGX, don't see why that's so critical. The Crazies was far from Romero's zombies in Night of the Living Dead but he still called them zombies when he directed that.

PorkChopSandwiches
10-20-2011, 04:10 PM
http://www.justsaypictures.com/images/arguing.jpg

Godfather
10-20-2011, 04:17 PM
:lol: Can't argue with that

Teh One Who Knocks
10-20-2011, 04:17 PM
It doesn't change anything in the movie... they're blood thirsty, highly infectious, single-minded, reasonably stupid, rotting, feel no pain. Miss 20 seconds of the movie and as far as you know they are 'dead.'

Zombies are probably impossible... a virus that turns people crazy isn't. The change in the script could be made with next to no effort, but Boyle hoped people wouldn't pine over one detail, which affects the background to the film and not the movie itself - and therefore it's semantics. :lol:

Your opinion is now invalid, you have switched sides more on this more than an American politician :hand:

You were for it before you were against it before you were for it :hand:

You didn't watch and listen to the video, did you?

How am I supposed to listen to it at work? I've only said about a zillion times that I have no sound at work :nono:

:slap:

Godfather
10-20-2011, 04:27 PM
No I said I prefer slow zombies :P

If you limit the genre more and more there will only about about 5 movies in it.. and barely 'genre' anymore, it's just a snobby list :lol:

Land of the Dead they were smarter...
I Am Legend the were animals....
28 Day Later they weren't dead...
Fido they can be tamed....
28 Months later they were still fast...
Return of the Living Dead series they're indestructible...
Planet Terror they're only zombies half the time...

I say they're all zombies. If you say none, are then whose movie defined zombie and why is it so strict? :lol:

DemonGeminiX
10-20-2011, 04:36 PM
How am I supposed to listen to it at work? I've only said about a zillion times that I have no sound at work :nono:

A. You made an erroneous assumption about it's content.

B. Watch it when you get home.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-20-2011, 05:48 PM
Some recent zombie movies, like "Shaun of the Dead," adhere faithfully to the Romero zombie conventions and make frequent references to his work. Others depict faster, more intelligent zombies. Films like "28 Days Later" keep the basic structure of a zombie film but do not portray actual zombies. (In "28 Days Later," people are infected with a virus that takes effect in seconds -- they don't actually die until they eventually starve.) A few recent movies and games throw all these conventions aside, presenting zombies that move quickly and can think for themselves, much to the chagrin of zombie purists.

Hal-9000
10-20-2011, 06:05 PM
Imma slow moving zombie today :|

fook me, my body hurts so much I may have to eat someone else's brain............

*shuffles off*

Leefro
10-20-2011, 06:08 PM
Gonna go on an on I would suspect

Maybe me n HAL oughta go make a thread about the Shinning

PorkChopSandwiches
10-20-2011, 06:12 PM
The original or the remake? :twisted:

Goofy
10-20-2011, 06:12 PM
Thread of the year :zombie:

Leefro
10-20-2011, 06:13 PM
The original or the remake? :twisted:

I don't count tv movies

PorkChopSandwiches
10-20-2011, 06:17 PM
I don't count tv movies

DemonGeminiX
10-20-2011, 06:23 PM
A few recent movies and games throw all these conventions aside, presenting zombies that move quickly and can think for themselves, much to the chagrin of zombie snobs.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-20-2011, 06:24 PM
I notice you have to change the wording....because nobody sides with you fast zombie losers :nana:

DemonGeminiX
10-20-2011, 06:28 PM
I notice you have to change the wording....because nobody sides with you fast zombie losers :nana:

:fu:

Leefro
10-20-2011, 06:28 PM
What you gotta ask yourself is would a fast zombie be able to kill a shark ?

DemonGeminiX
10-20-2011, 06:29 PM
What you gotta ask yourself is would a fast zombie be able to kill a shark ?

:-k

Depends. Can the shark fly?

Teh One Who Knocks
10-20-2011, 06:34 PM
And does the shark have frickin' laser beams? :-k

Leefro
10-20-2011, 06:35 PM
Maybe

But they should stay away from copters

Leefro
10-20-2011, 06:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F3fin4MjVw

DemonGeminiX
10-20-2011, 06:47 PM
Which b-movie is that from?

Leefro
10-20-2011, 06:50 PM
Ohhh Dear Ohh Dear Ohhh Dear :(

The classic that is Zombie Holocaust

DemonGeminiX
10-20-2011, 07:01 PM
a female character gets fully nude numerous times throughout the film. breast and pubic region seen. no actual sex.

strong gory violence, but special effects arent convincing and usually look pretty fake.

despite being a gory horror film, it isnt very intense or scary. Some find it cheesy and unintentionally funny. the graphic violence may disturb some.

Sounds like a winner.

Hal-9000
10-20-2011, 07:05 PM
Which film is that from DGX?

Joebob034
10-20-2011, 07:07 PM
Key word being REMAKE...

You didn't like the remake? I thought it was pretty good for a remake.

Leefro
Hhahaha yeah and I named the wrong film :lol:

DemonGeminiX
:huh:

The Zombie Holocaust flick that Lee just named in the post above mine.

DemonGeminiX
10-20-2011, 07:08 PM
Hhahaha yeah and I named the wrong film :lol:

It's not Zombie Holocaust?

:-k

DemonGeminiX
10-20-2011, 07:11 PM
Is it Zombi 2?

Leefro
10-20-2011, 07:12 PM
Yeah sorry I got my Holocausts mixed up :(

I'm ill you see :(

Leefro
10-20-2011, 07:14 PM
Is it Zombi 2?

Known more as Zombie Flesh Eaters

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvbWKf9YLZ8&feature=related

NSFW clip btw

DemonGeminiX
10-20-2011, 07:14 PM
No worries.

Muddy
10-20-2011, 08:06 PM
Was there a remake of The Shining?

PorkChopSandwiches
10-20-2011, 08:11 PM
Was there a remake of The Shining?

It was a mini series

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118460/

Muddy
10-20-2011, 08:34 PM
It was a mini series

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118460/

Why? How can you top Nicholson?

Leefro
10-20-2011, 08:38 PM
Maybe to make it the way Mr King wanted it and not what SK made

DemonGeminiX
10-20-2011, 09:18 PM
Why? How can you top Nicholson?

King's book is vastly different than Kubrick's film. When it first came out, King absolutely hated it and for years he wanted to put out a version that was more faithful to his novel. King has grown to appreciate Kubrick's version over the years, but he still looks down on it as being wrong.

DemonGeminiX
10-20-2011, 09:19 PM
Maybe to make it the way Mr King wanted it and not what SK made

Yeah.

8-[

Hal-9000
10-20-2011, 09:27 PM
Slow Shining or fast Shining...hmmmm :-k

Teh One Who Knocks
10-20-2011, 09:32 PM
King's book is vastly different than Kubrick's film. When it first came out, King absolutely hated it and for years he wanted to put out a version that was more faithful to his novel. King has grown to appreciate Kubrick's version over the years, but he still looks down on it as being wrong.

Regardless of King's opinion on the film (and I'm a HUGE King fan, my favorite author of all time) and with all due respect to him, the film is a classic, as is his book. They aren't the same and I'm glad.

DemonGeminiX
10-20-2011, 09:43 PM
Regardless of King's opinion on the film (and I'm a HUGE King fan, my favorite author of all time) and with all due respect to him, the film is a classic, as is his book. They aren't the same and I'm glad.

I didn't say I agreed with him, I just know the story. Personally, I'd watch Kubrick's version over the made for TV version on any day and twice on Sunday, and all because of Jack. I've read the book several times and I've seen the made for TV version and decided that something gets lost in the translation when putting the book, word for word, onto the screen.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-20-2011, 09:45 PM
I didn't say I agreed with him, I just know the story. Personally, I'd watch Kubrick's version over the made for TV version on any day and twice on Sunday, and all because of Jack. I've read the book several times and I've seen the made for TV version and decided that something gets lost in the translation when putting the book, word for word, onto the screen.

I wasn't trying to argue with you, your post was just the most relevant to quote :)

I've never seen the TV mini-series and I have no desire to...and I wish people would realize exactly what you said...you can't take a book word-for-word and make it into a 2 or 3 hour film.

Hal-9000
10-20-2011, 09:48 PM
Send more braaaaaainsssssssssssss

Hal-9000
10-20-2011, 09:50 PM
Actually, in 28 Days, the people did die for short period of time and then came back to life because of the virus.

ergo they were zombies.

DemonGeminiX
10-20-2011, 09:54 PM
I knew you weren't arguing. Apologies if it came across any other way.

His books are great reads but his stories need a decent director's vision to make good screen adaptations. Kubrick's Shining and Brian DePalma's Carrie were both fantastic. I guess it kinda helps that the cast in both were phenomenal too. But others were just absolute bombs.

Hal-9000
10-20-2011, 10:01 PM

His books are great reads but his stories need a decent director's vision to make good screen adaptations. Kubrick's Shining and Brian DePalma's Carrie were both fantastic. I guess it kinda helps that the cast in both were phenomenal too. But others were just absolute bombs.

Apology accepted :face:

I've yet to see any movie that did justice to the book source...

Teh One Who Knocks
10-20-2011, 10:04 PM

I'd put the Green Mile up there with the other 2 you mentioned

Leefro
10-20-2011, 10:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8TWgOHWeig

DemonGeminiX
10-20-2011, 10:07 PM
I'd put the Green Mile up there with the other 2 you mentioned

Yeah, that was good...so was Shawshank and Stand By Me, but none out of the 3 were really horror books.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-20-2011, 10:17 PM
Yeah, that was good...so was Shawshank and Stand By Me, but none out of the 3 were really horror books.

True :-k

Misery wasn't too badly done as a film :tup:

Leefro
10-20-2011, 10:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u-u6gKJv8s&feature=related

:) :)

JoeyB
10-20-2011, 10:50 PM
Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. There is no spoon. Then you'll see, that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself.

Uri Geller shits on you. I win.

On the Stephen King thing...never been a fan, though I did enjoy a number of the books he wrote under the Richard Bachman pseudonym. While 'The Running Man' was a decent enough 80's Arnold movie (racking up big points for using ultra awesome Richard Dawson as basically an asshole version of himself), the book was really, really good and far more entertaining.

Oh, and I do like a few of the King movies. A few, anyway.

DemonGeminiX
10-20-2011, 10:58 PM
:hand:

Uri Geller's a fraud. Johnny Carson, of all people, proved it.

JoeyB
10-20-2011, 11:05 PM
:hand:

Uri Geller's a fraud. Johnny Carson, of all people, proved it.

Carson :rip:

:deewank tribute post.

Leefro
10-20-2011, 11:06 PM
Uri Geller has something in common with the pair of you

Godfather
10-21-2011, 01:12 AM

:lol: That's just one dudes' opinion... and it's fundamentally wrong because there are no such thing as 'actual' zombies :lol:

Hal-9000
10-21-2011, 01:17 AM
:lol: That's just one dudes' opinion... and it's fundamentally wrong because there are no such thing as 'actual' zombies :lol:

:shock:

:zombie: :zombie: :zombie:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-21-2011, 01:36 AM

Says the guy without a degree in Zombiology :rolleyes:

Hal-9000
10-21-2011, 01:41 AM
Zombiology?

Hal-9000
10-21-2011, 01:54 AM
So if Zombi-ism isn't a virus, how come in the old school zombie movies everybody gets 'infected' from a zombie bite?
For example I should be able to withstand a chomp in the arm or shoulder with just the normal accompanying blood loss and pain...

Curious, hmmm...

DemonGeminiX
10-21-2011, 02:00 AM
So if Zombi-ism isn't a virus, how come in the old school zombie movies everybody gets 'infected' from a zombie bite?
For example I should be able to withstand a chomp in the arm or shoulder with just the normal accompanying blood loss and pain...

Curious, hmmm...

If everyone in old school movies who became a zombie got infected only by a bite, then how can buried corpses get infected? It's been shown and told in the early movies that "the dead are rising from their graves".

Hal-9000
10-21-2011, 02:06 AM
If everyone in old school movies who became a zombie got infected only by a bite, then how can buried corpses get infected? It's been shown and told in the early movies that "the dead are rising from their graves".

pssst, I'm supporting your side of this issue....it's a leading question, go with it ok? :lol:

I could list a number of movies where the protagonists avoided getting bitten to become zombies, and these were the 'slow' zombie movies.And the current TV series Walking Dead :tup:

So I ask again ladies and gentlemen of the jury - If the zombies in the movie 28 Days were not real zombies and the product of a virus, how come in the slow zombie movies people are getting infected by bites as well?

*DGX, In the Romero movies, I believe in the third one...they mentioned there was a toxic spill.Yet another catalyst for zombie-ism.

Godfather
10-21-2011, 02:09 AM
Says the guy without a degree in Zombiology :rolleyes:

I have a BA, it stands for Bullshit Artist, I think that makes me plenty qualifies to speak on the merits of zombies :-k :lol:

Hal-9000
10-21-2011, 02:09 AM
If a girl swallowed your sperm after a blowjob and you were a zombie, would she contract zombie-ism as well? :-k

Godfather
10-21-2011, 02:11 AM
:-k Generally no. Zombies would shoot dry blanks, as their liquids are congealed from their hearts having stopped and pumping no liquids.

But teeth should be used very sparingly, as flesh is likely to dislodge and ingestion could lead to infection

Shame... who doesn't like a little teeth

Hal-9000
10-21-2011, 02:12 AM
more braaaaainsssssss

http://i.imgur.com/z5fIM.jpg

Hal-9000
10-21-2011, 02:14 AM
:-k Generally no. Zombies would shoot dry blanks, as their liquids are congealed from their hearts having stopped and pumping no liquids.

But teeth should be used very sparingly, as flesh is likely to dislodge and ingestion could lead to infection

Shame... who doesn't like a little teeth

You saying if I turned into a zombie, then there would be no more silly DNA string shooting out of my dick?? :shock:

lock n load boys, we need to form a perimeter :x

JoeyB
10-21-2011, 05:14 AM
Uri Geller has something in common with the pair of you

Well...spill it...

Leefro
10-21-2011, 08:14 AM
Bites, Saliva and Airborne

How many more ?

JoeyB
10-21-2011, 08:17 AM
Bites, Saliva and Airborne

How many more ?

What the fuck?

Leefro
10-21-2011, 08:21 AM
Is this thread about Aids ?

JoeyB
10-21-2011, 08:32 AM
Is this thread about Aids ?

In a bizarre, round about way...slightly, a very ephemeral connection as far as deadly disease transmission goes..

Godfather
10-22-2011, 02:21 AM
I forgot to mention how much I love this forum for having a zombie thread go on for 12 pages :mrgreen: y'all are hilarious.

Goofy
10-22-2011, 05:14 AM
I forgot to mention how much I love this forum for having a zombie thread go on for 12 pages :mrgreen: y'all are hilarious.

Its only 9 pages for me :(

JoeyB
10-22-2011, 05:32 AM
Its only 9 pages for me :(

Pfft, you are your hi-falutin' modified posts-per-page display.

Goofy
10-22-2011, 05:39 AM
Pfft, you are your hi-falutin' modified posts-per-page display.

Saves on mouse clicks........ should cost me less money on new mouses (mousse? mice? mices?) :D

JoeyB
10-22-2011, 05:48 AM
Saves on mouse clicks........ should cost me less money on new mouses (mousse? mice? mices?) :D

You still have to scroll.

Goofy
10-22-2011, 06:16 AM
You still have to scroll.

I may have to rethink my strategy :(

JoeyB
10-22-2011, 06:23 AM
I may have to rethink my strategy :(

Up your posts-per-page count as high as it will let you go; put everyone on your ignore list; and enjoy your brand new no-click, no-scroll lifestyle.

Tank
10-22-2011, 04:07 PM
i'm happy with a mix of both

i'm with red on this, way i sees it, fast Zombies are 'just turned' zombie types. slow moving lumbering ones are the older sorts . . . . either way i dont plan on gettin munched by either type :tup:

:D
:tup: