PDA

View Full Version : Don't touch! Study confirms your worst fears about public potties

Teh One Who Knocks
10-20-2011, 07:03 PM
By Bill Briggs - MSNBC Health Writer

http://i.imgur.com/QvuHv.jpg

No. 1: A new study on the germ orgies going down in America’s public restrooms truly puts the “P” in repulsive, repugnant and “Hey, how awesome are my Depends?”

No. 2: If you can, maybe just hold it until you get home.

Yes, we’re talking about relieving those two basic bodily functions and doing so in some of most bacteria-bedecked spaces anywhere. As long suspected, bathroom surfaces in U.S. restaurants, airplanes, stores, hospitals and other busy locales are often heavily contaminated with illness-causing microbes – and, in some cases, the bug colonies are even too large to measure, according to a paper to be presented Friday to the Infectious Diseases Society of America in Boston.

“I was surprised (at the sheer quantity of creepy crawlies) but, at same time, I wasn’t surprised because people use these things and people touch things,” said Dr. Lennox Archibald, an epidemiologist at the University of Florida’s College of Medicine.

“It does make you step back a bit and stake stock of the whole hand-hygiene thing,” added Archibald, who will present the findings. “And yes, it could make one paranoid.”

From December 2010 through last February, Archibald and his colleagues swabbed and cultured faucets, paper-dispenser levers, and door handles inside the bathrooms of four aircraft and 18 other crowded spots such as fast-food restaurants. Names of the businesses were not released. Among the types of microscopic critters commonly discovered were staphylococcus (which can cause fevers and chills) and bacillus (which can cause diarrhea).

“For several restrooms, the quantity of microorganisms was too numerous to count,” Archibald’s paper reports. “…To date, there have been virtually no quantitative or qualitative assessments of the range of bacteria contaminating public restrooms.”

Given these invisible fecal fests, should we simply cross our legs, squeeze our thighs and endure the pain instead of accessing public restrooms?

“If you have to use it, you have to use it,” Archibald said. “You just have to be careful where you touch after you wash your hands.” Ideally, public bathrooms should be stocked with paper towels so that your skin needn't come into contact with anything yucky.

Then again, he added: “You can wash your hands till the cows come home. (If we swab your freshly scrubbed palms and culture the results), you are going to grow something.”

Hal-9000
10-20-2011, 07:09 PM
I always lick the seat before sitting down.

I don't want any of those germs touching my tushy :hand:

Acid Trip
10-20-2011, 07:14 PM
I hate it when some dude comes in, pees and then just walks out. Obviously he held his dick while peeing and then used that same hand to open the god damn door.

How the hell can I get out of the bathroom with clean hands if dirty mofos keep touching the door handle?

Teh One Who Knocks
10-20-2011, 07:16 PM
I hate it when some dude comes in, pees and then just walks out. Obviously he held his dick while peeing and then used that same hand to open the god damn door.

How the hell can I get out of the bathroom with clean hands if dirty mofos keep touching the door handle?

An Air Force Airman and a Marine were in the bathroom at the urinal. The Marine finished first, washed his hands, and was drying them when the Airman finished, zipped up, and started to walk out of the bathroom.

The Marine said to the Airman, "You know, in the Marines they teach us to wash our hands after going to the bathroom."

The Airman smiled over his shoulder and replies, "You know, in the Air Force they teach us not to piss on our hands."

Acid Trip
10-20-2011, 07:32 PM
An Air Force Airman and a Marine were in the bathroom at the urinal. The Marine finished first, washed his hands, and was drying them when the Airman finished, zipped up, and started to walk out of the bathroom.

The Marine said to the Airman, "You know, in the Marines they teach us to wash our hands after going to the bathroom."

The Airman smiled over his shoulder and replies, "You know, in the Air Force they teach us not to piss on our hands."

Peeing on your hands has nothing to do with it! Pee is sterile and harmless. It's the dick & balls that are dirty.

DemonGeminiX
10-20-2011, 07:35 PM
Peeing on your hands has nothing to do with it! Pee is sterile and harmless. It's the dick & balls that are dirty.

:-s

Were you a Marine?

Muddy
10-20-2011, 07:44 PM

Wash your hands, use the paper towel to cut off the water and to open the door.. If there isnt a trash can by the door just throw the paper towel on the floor...

Teh One Who Knocks
10-20-2011, 07:45 PM
I pee on the paper towels :thumbsup:

Muddy
10-20-2011, 07:46 PM
At least its sterile...

PorkChopSandwiches
10-20-2011, 07:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6fwIMSrwrA

Muddy
10-20-2011, 08:05 PM
*pees in Lances hair*

Acid Trip
10-20-2011, 08:19 PM
If there isnt a trash can by the door just throw the paper towel on the floor...

:lmao:

Hal-9000
10-20-2011, 08:41 PM
Wash your hands, use the paper towel to cut off the water and to open the door.. If there isnt a trash can by the door just throw the paper towel on the floor...

Geez...so that's where all the brown guys I work with get the idea.It's like working with brain surgeons.I go in the bathroom and there's paper towels on the sink, on the floor, on top of the paper towel dispenser....everywhere but in the garbage :lol: They are a prissy bunch...It's a good practice but these guys are extreme in their lack of courtesy for the rest of our staff.