PDA

View Full Version : MOTOGP - Simoncelli in horrific crash at Sepang

Goofy
10-23-2011, 08:41 AM
http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/6214/simoncellimarco110703po.jpg (http://img508.imageshack.us/i/simoncellimarco110703po.jpg/)

Marco Simoncelli (Honda) was involved in a very serious crash on the second lap of the Malaysian MotoGP Grand Prix at Sepang on Sunday.

Simoncelli had been involved in a fierce battle for fourth place with Alvaro Bautista (Suzuki) from the end of the first lap and the pair swopped places repeatedly during the first part of the second lap.

Coming out of Turn 11, Simoncelli fell as the front tyre of his Honda lost traction and the bike fell away under him and he was skating to the left towards the outside of the track. But then the front tyre gripped again and swerved sharply to the right and the bike with the rider down on the track veered straight into the path of Colin Edwards who crashed into Simoncelli and his bike, and Simoncelli's helmet was ripped off in the crash. Both also crashed into Valentino Rossi (Ducati) as he was swerving right trying to avoid them. Neither Edwards nor Rossi had any chance of avoiding the accident

Rossi was pushed out onto the grass but remained mounted and rode away slowly while Edwards was able to get up and walk away, but Simoncelli remained prone and motionless on the track.

The race was immediately red-flagged and the Italian was removed to the track's medical facility by ambulance within minutes.

Unconfirmed reports said that Edwards had dislocated his shoulder in the accident. Rossi, a great friend of Simoncelli, was sitting very subdued in his garage awaiting news of his countryman.

Goofy
10-23-2011, 08:43 AM
He's in a critical condition atm and they've decided to cancel the race......... not a good sign :wha: If i was religious i'd be praying for him right now, Marco is the most exciting rider in the sport

Goofy
10-23-2011, 09:35 AM
MOTOGP rider Marco Simoncelli has died after a crash two laps into the Malaysian MotoGP.

The Malaysian MotoGP was cancelled four minutes after the race began when the Honda rider fell and was hit by Colin Edwards and Valentino Rossi.

Simoncelli, 24, had his helmet knocked off in the accident, which occurred when the Italian lowsided from his bike at turn 11.

His bike veered across the track and straight into the path of Edwards and Rossi. The race was immediately red-flagged.

Simoncelli was motionless on the track after the impact.

:(

Leefro
10-23-2011, 09:59 AM
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com//23102011/58/simoncelli-dies-horrific-crash.html

Tank
10-23-2011, 11:25 AM
terrible terrible news, sorta fell off the MotoGP wagon of late, but its NEVER a good day when a rider loses his life.

having see the accident there was no way anyone could have prevented it, had he not tried to correct losing the front (try telling a driver/rider not to do that and see how thery react!) he'd still be here, had Rossi and Edwards not been in the right place at the wrong time again he'd still be here.

awfull week for motorsports :(

:rip: Simoncelli and condolences and heart full wishes to his family and friends

redred
10-23-2011, 11:36 AM
:rip: i've seen the clip on youtube and it wasn't nice at all

Tank
10-23-2011, 12:35 PM
"Aren't you scared you might die in an accident?”

”No. You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." [Marco Simoncelli]

:rip:

Hugh_Janus
10-23-2011, 04:17 PM
I'm absolutely gutted and now glad I didn't get up to watch the race... it sounds horrific.

Its a huge shame, because he had the potential to be one of the greats.

Godfather
10-23-2011, 04:27 PM
Wow, second motor-sport crash within a week :( Very sad

Hugh_Janus
10-23-2011, 04:36 PM
oh man... I just read that Rossi was one of the riders that hit him... he must be inconsolable :-(

Tank
10-23-2011, 04:51 PM
oh man... I just read that Rossi was one of the riders that hit him... he must be inconsolable :-(

some are using this as his 'easy way out of moto gp' after having a few lack lusture seasons. It will be a shame if he leaves now. race another season in Simoncelli's honour i say!

would be awesome to see all the bikes in the next round as #58 and in his colours . . . . . . doubt it will happen tho :(

Goofy
10-23-2011, 07:51 PM
would be awesome to see all the bikes in the next round as #58 and in his colours . . . . . . doubt it will happen tho :(

Personally i think theres a good chance something along those lines will happen :)

Tank
10-24-2011, 01:14 PM
Personally i think theres a good chance something along those lines will happen :)

i hope so, theres nothing on the line title wise and im sure sponsors n stuff will understand the gesture in his honour

:rip:

Hugh_Janus
10-25-2011, 06:40 PM
not a chance that'll happen. I'm sure the riders and and teams will have 58 somewhere on their leathers and bikes thopugh. FIM may retire his number though, like they did daijiro kato's