PDA

View Full Version : Tablets: Android or Win7?

Teh One Who Knocks
10-23-2011, 12:43 PM
A buddy of mine wants to get a tablet (no matter how hard I try and talk him out of it and tell him to just get a laptop). The only good thing is I have him at least convinced not to buy a crApple.

The only question then is what OS will be better to steer him towards, Android or Win7?

redred
10-23-2011, 01:35 PM
purely on what i'm use to i'd say android ,but thats only because i have the same OS on my phone

samarchepas
10-23-2011, 02:53 PM
Without a doubt here, Android! (never failed me so far )

Jezter
10-23-2011, 04:57 PM
Definitely Android, cuz the Honeycomb is more or less tweaked for tablet use. Should work smoother and better than Windows on a machine that doesn't have much more power than a mobile phone...

Teh One Who Knocks
10-23-2011, 08:02 PM
Definitely Android, cuz the Honeycomb is more or less tweaked for tablet use. Should work smoother and better than Windows on a machine that doesn't have much more power than a mobile phone...

The thing is tho, some of the Win7 tablets have quite a bit of power packed into them compared to the Android tablets.

redred
10-23-2011, 08:09 PM
whats the apps like for W7? because tbh apps sell a machine imo

Teh One Who Knocks
10-23-2011, 09:12 PM
Not sure, but I would imagine that a tablet running Win7 could run almost any program you could run on your PC (as long as it's not super memory intensive)

samarchepas
10-23-2011, 09:31 PM
Not sure, but I would imagine that a tablet running Win7 could run almost any program you could run on your PC (as long as it's not super memory intensive)

But then again...I'd rather have apps than something that runs most programs, That is what I love with Android (and yes ram could be a huge issue if it does)
If you want to be able to run programs, buy a laptop :lol:

Noilly Pratt
10-24-2011, 07:13 AM
I think it depends on the usage...does the user value portability over all else? Are they a gee-look-at-this-cool-and-free-app? Do they know what Linux means? Answer: Android

If they're more no-nonsense, and will be porting over what they do to a PC or laptop, and they need to often modify that word processing doc, or spreadsheet - it's a bit easier with Win 7.

Tell them to do what I did...get a Android phone (free) or reconditioned, and get a good notebook - they're smaller than a laptop and they have more than 1 USB port (mine has 3), usually more RAM and a bigger display.

It's all in the end usage, and often what they think they're gonna use it for isn't what ends up happening...take me for instance.

Pro Android: My daughter and I appreciate the stars more now, with the google app that shows the constellations, and we run like crazy people when the "Zombies" try to get us! Gets me out and exercising.

Pro Win7 My wife watches "The Tudors" with the headphones on with the notebook before retiring to bed sometimes...I am currently surfing on Teh Basement on our notebook while my wife falls asleep. We often check the weather for tomorrow because the notebook boots quickly and is set up for quick access to the weather.

GarryD
05-28-2012, 12:04 PM
Android has more apps for it, Win7 just begins its way, so I vote for Android.

Arkady Renko
05-29-2012, 11:18 AM

exactly.

I suppose your buddy should base his choice on the intended use. Android tablets are usually quite good with the battery life, weight and touch input function and, notably, much less expensive than fully blown Windows 7 tablets. A friend of mine uses one of those cute Samsung 7" Galaxy Tabs and it really is a very nice piece of electronics. the 10" version I once got my hands on looks just as nice and the screen is awesome. So if you mainly want to browse the web, watch media without doing much editing on them, an Android tablet is probably just what the doctor ordered

Win 7 tablets are more suitable for serious business, e.g. if you actually want to run Photoshop, Adobe Premiere, MS access or similarly power hungry software, I doubt you can get anything done with an ipad or Android tab.

Muddy
05-29-2012, 02:18 PM
Aside from the Apple, the Galaxy is the only one worth getting.. I can post the current ratings if you want tomorrow?

Jezter
05-29-2012, 06:01 PM
Aside from the Apple, the Galaxy is the only one worth getting.. I can post the current ratings if you want tomorrow?

So is Acer Iconia Tab A510 in my opinion.

don4key
03-07-2013, 01:04 PM
Android, my choice.