View Full Version : ain't this the truth

redred
10-23-2011, 01:31 PM
http://i.imgur.com/x4vC9.jpg

makes you think what else will be over looked as times moves on

Tank
10-23-2011, 02:58 PM
:tup:

never will they know sitting through the full Top 40 and recording only a few of the songs you wanted, having the timing of a legendary DJ to be able to time the recording of the song as soon as the DJ stopped gassing at the start!

Teh One Who Knocks
10-23-2011, 05:22 PM
:tup:

never will they know sitting through the full Top 40 and recording only a few of the songs you wanted, having the timing of a legendary DJ to be able to time the recording of the song as soon as the DJ stopped gassing at the start!

I used to do that all the time! :thumbsup:

I was even more old school when I was a kid...I had an old school tape recorder with an old school hand held microphone I would leave sitting on the clock radio I had so that I could hit record any time a song came on that I wanted.

PorkChopSandwiches
10-23-2011, 05:25 PM
:lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-23-2011, 05:34 PM
And did you ever notice, without fail, that if you had a favorite cassette, it would invariably end up looking like this at some point:

http://i.imgur.com/Hmf0E.jpg

Cassette player in my first car would eat tapes, but only my favorite ones :x

PorkChopSandwiches
10-23-2011, 05:36 PM
That shit would piss me off. Pulling feet of tape out of the deck :mad:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-23-2011, 05:45 PM
Yup, and even if you managed to get it out without breaking the tape, it was completely unplayable ever again

Goofy
10-23-2011, 08:54 PM
Yup, and even if you managed to get it out without breaking the tape, it was completely unplayable ever again

You mean you never used sellotape to fix them? :lol: Had to do that a few times......... god, how fucking old are we? :lol:

JoeyB
10-23-2011, 10:27 PM
That shit would piss me off. Pulling feet of tape out of the deck :mad:

But, then you got to use the pencil to reel the tape back in, and now you can remember the connection~!

Tapes...I've got record and eight track stories...and I know what 78, 45, and 33 and one third RPM are...kids today only know computers...but, maybe that's not so bad?

Griffin
10-24-2011, 01:23 AM
you pups probably don't know the correlation of an 8-track tape and a matchbook either.

JoeyB
10-24-2011, 04:51 AM
you pups probably don't know the correlation of an 8-track tape and a matchbook either.

Was that to jam it down in the machine and make it work correctly? Because I remember my brother doing weird things to hold his eight tracks in place.

Hey, what were those little yellow spindles called that you could insert into the center of a 45 to make it fit on a turntable that wasn't equipped with the pop up center?

Goofy
10-24-2011, 12:19 PM
I still have a turntable and cassette recorder :dance: It's built in to my old Sony stack stereo :D

Softdreamer
10-24-2011, 12:50 PM
I remember splicing back together my U2 joshua tree album, and fitting the spools of tape into the body of a TDK housing (they had screws instead of being glued).
It worked, although there was a bit where bono sounded a bit weird, but nobody seemed to notice :lol:

Tank
10-24-2011, 12:52 PM
I still have a turntable and cassette recorder :dance: It's built in to my old Sony stack stereo :D

same here!

vinyl players are expensive these days too! still play a bunch of vinyl every now and then, have all of Michael Jacksons stuff on Vinyl . . . . somehow thriller and billy jean sounds better coming off it!

and you guys on about 8track thingamys are fuggin old! :lol:

KevinD
10-24-2011, 02:55 PM
Ah yes, 8 tracks, match books and roach clips......
Don't forget the MasterBlaster 6x9's either...

Teh One Who Knocks
10-24-2011, 02:56 PM
8 tracks are nothing :hand:

When I was in Jr High, one of my friends parents had a reel-to-reel set up, now that's old school :tup:

KevinD
10-24-2011, 03:03 PM
Yeah, we had one of those..8mm iirc, but, I wasn't allowed to mess with it....Something about my inate ability to make things fall apart just by looking at them....(Somehow, girl's clothes were always resistant to this ability though)

Joebob034
10-24-2011, 03:41 PM
This band was on TV the other day and my mom said "I like them maybe I should buy their tape." I said "yeah sure why not all you have to do is go back to 1994."

Goofy
10-24-2011, 04:57 PM
vinyl players are expensive these days too! still play a bunch of vinyl every now and then

I got a loan of my mates 'Never Mind the Bollocks' LP....... sounds fucking epic on vinyl!

Goofy
10-24-2011, 04:58 PM
Yeah, we had one of those..8mm iirc, but, I wasn't allowed to mess with it....Something about my inate ability to make things fall apart just by looking at them....(Somehow, girl's clothes were always resistant to this ability though)

:lol:

Godfather
10-24-2011, 05:26 PM
http://i.imgur.com/x4vC9.jpg

makes you think what else will be over looked as times moves on

:rofl: I love it

Muddy
10-24-2011, 05:37 PM
:rofl: I love it

What do you know about this?? :lol:

Tank
10-24-2011, 06:00 PM
this reminded me of my brothers fb status the other day, his 8yo asked him if everything was in black and white when he was her age and couldnt believe mobiles and laptops wernt around then.

hes only 35

Godfather
10-24-2011, 06:26 PM
What do you know about this?? :lol:

I'm not that young... oddly enough my boss was surprised I was old enough for VHS and cassettes. But I had audio-books for my Sony Walkman when I was young, before I got a CD players with 3 seconds of anti-skip :lol:

Joebob034
10-24-2011, 06:36 PM
this reminded me of my brothers fb status the other day, his 8yo asked him if everything was in black and white when he was her age and couldnt believe mobiles and laptops wernt around then.

hes only 35

I had a disposable camera that I wanted to use up a few years back so I took a picture of my niece who was like 3 or 4 at the time. After I took the picture she was like "can I see?" and I had to explain to her that it wasn't that type of camera. She didn't really get it, she just thought that all cameras were digital cameras.

PorkChopSandwiches
10-24-2011, 06:43 PM
This band was on TV the other day and my mom said "I like them maybe I should buy their tape." I said "yeah sure why not all you have to do is go back to 1994."

My wife was on a "haunted" tour of downtown, the old lady giving the tour made a comment about one of the houses, of how the "CD just flew out of the tape deck, and across the room"

Hal-9000
10-24-2011, 06:53 PM
8 tracks are nothing :hand:

When I was in Jr High, one of my friends parents had a reel-to-reel set up, now that's old school :tup:

I have (had) a portable reel to reel recorder.It's blue and weighs about 30 pounds.I used the same tape over and over and over because my folks didn't have very much money raising 3 kids.

Still....it was pretty fookin cool listening both ways on it and making recordings when we were lads :thumbsup:

Hal-9000
10-24-2011, 06:54 PM
My wife was on a "haunted" tour of downtown, the old lady giving the tour made a comment about one of the houses, of how the "CD just flew out of the tape deck, and across the room"

We still have an 8 track player and it shoots out The Partridge Family tape every time we throw it in :lol:

(Dave Cassidy's solo album stays in for some reason)

Teh One Who Knocks
10-24-2011, 06:55 PM
I have (had) a portable reel to reel recorder.It's blue and weighs about 30 pounds.I used the same tape over and over and over because my folks didn't have very much money raising 3 kids.

Still....it was pretty fookin cool listening both ways on it and making recordings when we were lads :thumbsup:

Dunno if I ever saw a mini one...what size were the reels? The one my buddy's dad had was the full-sized one hooked into the hi-fi set. We weren't allowed anywhere near it :lol:

My buddy's dad was an optometrist, so they had quite a bit of money....they always had all the newest and most expensive stuff.

Hal-9000
10-24-2011, 10:51 PM
Dunno if I ever saw a mini one...what size were the reels? The one my buddy's dad had was the full-sized one hooked into the hi-fi set. We weren't allowed anywhere near it :lol:

My buddy's dad was an optometrist, so they had quite a bit of money....they always had all the newest and most expensive stuff.

The reels were smaller than the regular ones for sure, I don't know the dimensions.The whole unit was quite heavy (being a kid) but very unique.My Dad worked at a seismic place that used BASF tape for all of it's analog records and he brought it home for me :)