PDA

View Full Version : South Carolina police officer busted on prostitution charges

Teh One Who Knocks
10-24-2011, 11:37 AM
WIS-TV Channel 10

http://i.imgur.com/vDFPm.jpg

COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) - A Columbia police officer is currently under administrative leave without pay after Richland County deputies arrested him on prostitution charges.

Officials with the Richland County Sheriff's Department say 32-year-old Mark A. Cornish was arrested after deputies received a tip that a uniformed officer entered a motel room with a known prostitute, identified as a 17-year-old.

Sheriff Leon Lott says when deputies arrived at the scene, Cornish fled in his patrol car. He was found later in the afternoon a few blocks from the scene.

Deputies say Cornish has met the woman on more than one occasion.

So who is Mark Cornish?

We've learned he's a middle school resource officer at W.A. Perry Middle School and his Facebook page paints the picture of guy who has deep religious interests: he's married, he's a Chaplain candidate for the US Army, and he's studying at Liberty University for his master's in divinity.

As you can imagine, friends of Cornish and the Columbia Police Department are in shock over his arrest. We spoke with Chief Randy Scott who says this type of behavior is unacceptable.

"You represent an agency, the community, and what's good in society and this type of allegation or charge is brought against you and I'm not one to judge early without seeing what evidence is there, but I can tell you that I have full confidence in the investigation that the Richland County Sheriff's Department conducts," said Scott.

Scott also says Cornish will be released from the force if it turns out these allegations are true.