PDA

View Full Version : Steve Jobs and Apple skewered on NYC stage

Acid Trip
10-24-2011, 09:33 PM
Warning, do not pass this on to your Apple friends. Their heads may explode upon reading.

Steve Jobs and Apple skewered on New York stage

By Jed Horowitz

http://beta.finance.yahoo.com/news/steve-jobs-apple-skewered-york-165553413.html

NEW YORK (Reuters) - In a sold-out theater in downtown Manhattan, two miles from the square where anti-Wall Street demonstrators daily use iPhones, iPads and other devices to mobilize their forces, a performance artist named Mike Daisey is mounting a subversive attack on Apple Inc.

Sitting at a stainless steel table set with nothing but a glass of water, the actor slyly describes his geeky devotion to the perfectionist designs and operating systems of the House of Macintosh and its progenitor, Steve Jobs.

Before long, however, Daisey is recounting a trip he took to China to investigate the heavily guarded massive factories where screens and other parts for countless Apple, Dell, Nokia, Samsung and other manufacturers' products are made.

He meets underage workers, some as young as 12, who describe 12-hour, 14-hour and even 34-hour shifts and their dormitory "cubes" stocked sardine-can style with 13 beds. He shows his iPhone to workers with crippled hands, and describes an "epidemic of suicides" that prompted Foxconn International Holdings, which he says manufactures more than 50 percent of the world's electronic device parts, to install nets around its massive factories in China. (It's "Foxconn's version of corporate responsibility," he says.)

The show, "The Agony and the Ecstasy of Steve Jobs," oscillates between Daisey's China experiences, including his misadventures posing as a prospective purchaser of both bootleg iPhones and Chinese companies, and his gradual disillusionment with his onetime hero, Jobs.

"I started to think," Daisey says, "and that's dangerous for any religion."

KNIFING THE BABY

He depicts Jobs, whom he never met, as an obsessive who divided his employees into either geniuses or bozos, who hooked the public on beautiful devices that he declared obsolete with each new product iteration ("the master of the forced upgrade," an "enemy of nostalgia" who was "never afraid to knife the baby") and who put business ahead of ethics.

"He knew these things," Daisey said of Jobs and the China supply chain, "and he decided not to act."

Daisey is framed onstage by a rectangular structure that flashes intermittently with LED-like illuminations to indicate chaos or order. When the stage lights are brightest, however, the frame is empty, opening on a bare view of brick wall and window - a metaphor, perhaps, for the void Daisey sees at the center of the consumer economy or for marketing creating an insatiable craving for new technology. "Steve Jobs," Daisey marvels, was "so good at making us need things we didn't know we needed."

The show opened in New York last week, days after Jobs's death following a long battle with pancreatic cancer. Daisey says Jobs had heard about earlier versions of the show from audience members and occasionally responded with the email: "Mike doesn't appreciate the complexity of the situation."

Recalling his own years basking in the nighttime glow of a MacBook, inhaling the burned PVC incense of a new device being fired up and coddling iPod parts in their perfect packaging, Daisey asks: "Do we just see what we want to see?"

DEAR MR COOK

Steve Dowling, an Apple spokesman, said the company is committed to "driving the highest standards of social responsibility throughout our supply chains," has on-site auditors at Foxconn and other suppliers, and requires suppliers to commit to a published code of conduct as a condition of doing business.

Apple posts five years' worth of audits verifying compliance on its website and has gone beyond monitoring labor conditions to areas such as breaking up indentured servitude rings, Dowling said.

Daisey, meanwhile, has no illusions that people will give up on electronic devices but as the audience files out of the show, whispering about whether to restart their cellphones, ushers distribute a single page suggesting "concrete steps" for what to do next.

It suggests e-mailing Apple CEO Tim Cook (Daisey gives his address) with a "firm, polite, resolute" plea to hire independent outside auditors to verify factory conditions.

It urges consumers to "think different" about the need to upgrade with the introduction of each new "amazing" Apple device. "If we weighed the human cost of each piece of technology we would become more stringent in our purchasing," Daisey writes

Evoking one of the show's wittiest scenes, in which the actor despairs about mind-numbing communications tools such as Microsoft's PowerPoint that lets people in the same room avoid talking to each other, the monologist ends his handout with a cry to spread the word about Chinese labor conditions.

"Talking about it, thinking about it when making purchasing decisions and understanding it is not just symbolic. In a world of silence, speaking itself is action," Daisey writes

Muddy
10-24-2011, 09:40 PM
I got halfway through that...*bows* Why would my head explode?

Man people take this stuff way too serious...

Godfather
10-24-2011, 09:49 PM
So is this legit info on Apple using slave labor and is this character really in the know? Ie. if I post it on facebook to piss off iPhone using friends will they be able to have a good retort for this article?

Muddy
10-24-2011, 09:51 PM
This guy needs a paycheck... So he's started a one man show and appealed to the cult of *Apple sucks and for some reason it has obsessed my life" crew..

Godfather
10-24-2011, 09:55 PM
:lol: Maybe he just likes to stir the pot like the rest of us

Muddy
10-24-2011, 09:56 PM
I bet he made the "I can has cheezburger?" meme in his down time.

Godfather
10-24-2011, 09:59 PM
:lol: I don't see how the two are related. Attention whore?

Teh One Who Knocks
10-24-2011, 10:12 PM
So is this legit info on Apple using slave labor and is this character really in the know? Ie. if I post it on facebook to piss off iPhone using friends will they be able to have a good retort for this article?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/7330986/Apple-admits-using-child-labour.html

Muddy
10-24-2011, 10:13 PM
I wonder where his Samsung Galaxy was manufactured...?

http://wild-facts.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/2223750-Hippo-2-0.jpg

Hal-9000
10-24-2011, 10:15 PM
if it's true...these kids working up to 34 hours without a break...human rights will get in there

Teh One Who Knocks
10-24-2011, 10:16 PM
I wonder where his Samsung Galaxy was manufactured...?

http://wild-facts.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/2223750-Hippo-2-0.jpg

It's so cute when you always run in to defend Apple :empathy:

JoeyB
10-24-2011, 10:45 PM

Why are people always so slow to believe that corporations do shitty things?

I think 'slave labor' is a bit harsh, but 'heavily exploited child employees' would be acceptable.

And, isn't just being an iphone user punishment enough for your friends?

DemonGeminiX
10-24-2011, 10:45 PM
if it's true...these kids working up to 34 hours without a break...human rights will get in there

In China? Think again...

Muddy
10-24-2011, 11:08 PM
It's so cute when you always run in to defend Apple :empathy:

Somebody has too with you jaded lot... :lol:

Deepsepia
10-25-2011, 11:57 AM
Particularly rich is the complaint about making products obsolete -- me, I'm happy that I can buy a better device today than I did last year. My iPhone is vastly more capable than the Appple II I once had ( 64K RAM, if memory serves) and it cost a fraction of the price.

That's called "progress".

Anyone's free to use old stuff if they want.

The supplier labor conditions story isn't specific to Apple-- it's anyone sourcing parts and manufacturing in Asia, in other words, everyone. Nike and Apple seem to get the most flak over this, but your Adidas sneakers and your Samsung phone are no different.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-25-2011, 12:09 PM
Giving something a slightly better camera or a marginally faster processor 4 months after releasing it's predecessor and then calling it "new and improved" while still charging an exorbitant amount of money isn't what I would call progress. ;)

Yet it seems only the crApple sheep fall for that marketing gimmick time after time....

other than the stupid Siri feature in the new iPhone 4S which I find completely useless, my 7 month old Android phone is still better all around and cost me way less. And my phone has voice features that I have yet to use.

Deepsepia
10-25-2011, 12:23 PM
Giving something a slightly better camera or a marginally faster processor 4 months after releasing it's predecessor and then calling it "new and improved" while still charging an exorbitant amount of money isn't what I would call progress. ;)

Yet it seems only the crApple sheep fall for that marketing gimmick time after time....

other than the stupid Siri feature in the new iPhone 4S which I find completely useless, my 7 month old Android phone is still better all around and cost me way less. And my phone has voice features that I have yet to use.

The iPhone 4GS upgrade isn't targeted at iPhone 4 users -- it's targeted at folks who've yet to upgrade from earlier models. Both Verizon and ATT have customers on a two year contract, so very few folks with an iPhone 4 will upgrade to the 4GS. Folks like me, on the other hand, with a two year old 3 GS, will see an enormous improvement, and of course, the 3 GS is still being offered (free with a contract).

The massive improvement in this generation isn't so much the hardware, it's the software-- IOS 5 is revolutionary, untethering iPhone and iPads from a host computer. This is a really big deal, a dramatic improvement.

And far from forcing obsolescence -- it works on earlier generations of devices, and it's free.

So advantage Apple on this one. I don't know many electronics manufacturers who, two years after I've bought something, offer me dramatically greater functionality on that device, at zero cost.

Muddy
10-25-2011, 12:34 PM
http://thepoliticalcarnival.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/pout.jpg

Teh One Who Knocks
10-25-2011, 12:36 PM
The iPhone 4GS upgrade isn't targeted at iPhone 4 users -- it's targeted at folks who've yet to upgrade from earlier models. Both Verizon and ATT have customers on a two year contract, so very few folks with an iPhone 4 will upgrade to the 4GS. Folks like me, on the other hand, with a two year old 3 GS, will see an enormous improvement, and of course, the 3 GS is still being offered (free with a contract).

The massive improvement in this generation isn't so much the hardware, it's the software-- IOS 5 is revolutionary, untethering iPhone and iPads from a host computer. This is a really big deal, a dramatic improvement.

And far from forcing obsolescence -- it works on earlier generations of devices, and it's free.

So advantage Apple on this one. I don't know many electronics manufacturers who, two years after I've bought something, offer me dramatically greater functionality on that device, at zero cost.

I disagree, I know very few people other than dedicated Apple users that are interested in the "new" iPhone. Yes, there are some that will buy it, but whether you think so or not, Apple markets everything towards their core of True Believers because they are the ones that keep upgrading their devices (at full cost mind you) when there is absolutely no need to do so.

Muddy
10-25-2011, 12:42 PM
I disagree, I know very few people other than dedicated Apple users that are interested in the "new" iPhone. Yes, there are some that will buy it, but whether you think so or not, Apple markets everything towards their core of True Believers because they are the ones that keep upgrading their devices (at full cost mind you) when there is absolutely no need to do so.

Im not sure where this price issue you seem to have comes from... No one (that I know) pays full price for phones.. You get them when you renew a contract for approx. $199 each... And thats the going rate for ANY decent phone... Not just the iphone...

Teh One Who Knocks
10-25-2011, 01:18 PM
Im not sure where this price issue you seem to have comes from... No one (that I know) pays full price for phones.. You get them when you renew a contract for approx. $199 each... And thats the going rate for ANY decent phone... Not just the iphone...

If you are an existing customer of a carrier, you only get a big discount on a phone upgrade if you extend your contract, and usually for the expensive popular phones it has to be a 2 year extension. All that locks you in and you aren't really getting a discount on the phone, it only appears so on the front end of the deal. The carrier more than makes up for it over the life of your contract.

Muddy
10-25-2011, 01:33 PM
If you are an existing customer of a carrier, you only get a big discount on a phone upgrade if you extend your contract, and usually for the expensive popular phones it has to be a 2 year extension. All that locks you in and you aren't really getting a discount on the phone, it only appears so on the front end of the deal. The carrier more than makes up for it over the life of your contract.

You get a new phone every 18 months at Verizon with a contract extension. All these new phones are expensive without a contract.

Apple iphone 4s. $649 no contract
Droid Bionic $589 no contract
Lg Revolution $560 no contract..

Its a $60 difference... Not really worth all the hate imo...

Deepsepia
10-25-2011, 04:32 PM

No, the fanboy contingent is very small, relative to users. Apple is still less than %10 of PCs. The "true believers" were and are much too small a market to move the needle on Apple sales.

Apple is selling their iPads and iPhones principally to folks who did not own Apple computers before.

And again, the most important upgrades Apple offers are software, not hardware, and the software upgrades are either incredibly cheap ($29 for the latest release of the Mac OX) or free (IOS 5).

The rap on Apple as an enthusiast platform might have been true ten years ago, but it isn't true today. As a user of devices on many platforms --Windows, Andoid, Linux, IOS and Mac OS, I can say that all of them have their pluses and minuses, but there's no doubt in anyone's mind that the Apple devices are the best engineered.

They work better, do what they're supposed to do.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-25-2011, 04:42 PM
We'll just have to agree to disagree on the whole Apple group think fanboys ;)

...but there's no doubt in anyone's mind that the Apple devices are the best engineered.

They work better, do what they're supposed to do.

This is just flat out opinion on your part. I had my first experience with an iPhone last week because unfortunately against my advice my boss bought one. All iProducts are is just "dumbed down" devices. I'm actually surprised it didn't say Fisher Price on it instead of Apple. To say the least, I was less than impressed by it and would put my Android device against it any day of the week. That iPhone was not 'engineered' any better than any other handheld device I have ever had. All it was, to be blunt, was simplistic.

No offense whatsoever to you Deep, but iCrap is designed in mind for people that know nothing about technology.

Muddy
10-25-2011, 04:47 PM
Aside from all the bru-ha-ha in here.. Porky is an IT guy.. Ask him what he thinks about the iphone/ipad... And dont fukkin lie Porky for the sake of being popular with the girls...

PorkChopSandwiches
10-25-2011, 07:31 PM
The iphone/ipad are both very cool. But, as I have said before they will nickle and dime you for any app you want. I continue with android for all the free apps.

Also, China is the one allowing all this child "slave" labor, its nothing new Nike has been using it for years. Dont hate the company hate the country ;)

Acid Trip
10-25-2011, 08:05 PM
The iphone/ipad are both very cool. But, as I have said before they will nickle and dime you for any app you want. I continue with android for all the free apps.

Also, China is the one allowing all this child "slave" labor, its nothing new Nike has been using it for years. Dont hate the company hate the country ;)

That's an eloquent way of saying Apple iCrap blows donkey balls :mrgreen: