PDA

View Full Version : Netflix loses 800,000 subscribers

Teh One Who Knocks
10-24-2011, 09:45 PM
By Julianne Pepitone - CNNMoneyTech

http://i.imgur.com/xsMB8.jpg

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- For Netflix, the hits keep on coming -- the bad kind.

The latest thwack: Netflix lost 800,000 U.S. subscribers in the quarter that just ended, which was littered with PR nightmares including a price hike and the Qwikster debacle. It was the first time in years that Netflix's U.S. customer base shrank instead of growing.

Netflix spoke bluntly about the recent problems in its third-quarter earnings letter, released late Monday.

"The last few months...have been difficult for shareholders, employees, and most unfortunately, many members of Netflix," Netflix CEO Reed Hastings wrote in a letter to shareholders. "We've hurt our hard-earned reputation, and stalled our domestic growth."

Netflix said it was focusing on the future, promising customers that "we are done with pricing changes." But it doesn't think the subscriber hemorrhaging is at an end.

Netflix had 23.8 million total U.S. subscribers as of Sept. 30, down from 24.6 million three months earlier. Around 21.5 million customers had streaming subscriptions, and just under 14 million had DVD subscriptions, with most customers mixing the two.

By the end of the ongoing quarter, which wraps up Dec. 31, Netflix expects those numbers to drop further. It forecast that it will have 20 million to 21.5 million streaming customers and up to 11.3 million DVD subscribers in the U.S.

Netflix shares plunged 24% in after-hours trading, though the company reported earnings that beat analysts' expectations. Netflix earned $1.16 a share on a record $822 million in revenue.

A nightmarish third quarter: Netflix's (NFLX) quarter started off badly in July, when the company angered many subscribers by saying it would begin charging separate prices for its DVDs-by-mail and streaming video plans. That amounted to a big price hike for Netflix customers, as the cheapest-possible bill for customers who want both services jumped from $10 to $16 a month.

Enraged customers flooded Netflix's site with tens of thousands of comments, as well as a barrage of tweets under the hashtag #DearNetflix.

Netflix acknowledged the anger in its release Monday, saying, "We compounded the problem with our lack of explanation about the rising cost of the expansion of streaming content ... [so] many perceived us as greedy."

One analyst predicts that Netflix's streaming content licensing costs will rise from $180 million in 2010 to a whopping $1.98 billion in 2012.

"Our primary issue is many of our long-term members felt shocked by the pricing changes, and more of them have expressed that by canceling Netflix than we expected," Netflix wrote.

As a result of the price hike anger, on September 15 Netflix was forced to cut its U.S. third-quarter subscriber estimates by 1 million customers, or about 4%, to 24 million. Shares plunged 19% that day.

But the real debacle came just three days later, on September 18. Netflix CEO Hastings announced that the company's movies-by-mail service would be rebranded as Qwikster, while the Netflix brand would be dedicated to streaming video.

Still smarting from the price hike, customers were incensed. They raged against the idea of managing two separate accounts -- so much so that Netflix pulled a stunning reversal a few short weeks later and canceled the Qwikster plan.

"Consumers value the simplicity Netflix has always offered and we respect that," Hastings said on October 10. "There is a difference between moving quickly -- which Netflix has done very well for years -- and moving too fast, which is what we did in this case."

Many pundits and customers were shocked by the flip-flop, which led some to wonder about the company's long-term vision.

And so Netflix has begun its fiscal fourth quarter under a dark cloud.

Streaming catalog woes: Meanwhile, Netflix is struggling to build and maintain a robust streaming catalog. In September, pay-cable network Starz ended contract renewal negotiations with Netflix and announced it will pull its movies and TV shows from Netflix early next year, yanking away one of Netflix's key sources of relatively recent movies.

Studios are demanding more money for their valuable content, and now they have a bargaining chip in the form of Netflix's competitors. Beyond direct rivals like Hulu and kiosk service Redbox (owned by Coinstar (CSTR)), big tech players like Amazon (AMZN, Fortune 500) and Google (GOOG, Fortune 500) are jumping into the streaming game.

Muddy
10-24-2011, 09:46 PM
Boy these guys really fucked up....

PorkChopSandwiches
10-24-2011, 10:30 PM
they sure did

Hal-9000
10-24-2011, 10:45 PM
couple of things...I won't watch streaming anything, I will download the movie for enjoyment according to my schedule.If they allow this, good for them.

if a movie comes out this week as a normal DVD release on Tuesday, I want to pick it up on Netflix Tuesday night....if they're offering old crap, no thanks.

and finally.....:lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-25-2011, 01:40 PM
Netflix stock plunges on brutal 3Q, somber outlook
By MICHAEL LIEDTKE, AP Technology Writer

SAN FRANCISCO – Netflix jolted its shareholders again with a third-quarter financial report that portrayed a company in crisis.

The video subscription service's latest blooper reel, released Monday, included an even larger customer exodus than the company had foreseen after announcing an unpopular price increase in July. What's worse, the report contained a forecast calling for more defections during the next few months.

The backlash will deprive Netflix Inc. of some of the revenue that management had been counting on to finance the company's expansion plans while it pays higher fees for Internet video streaming rights. The result: Netflix expects to post losses next year when it starts selling its streaming service in Britain and Ireland. The company didn't offer further specifics besides saying it won't go into any other overseas markets until it's making money again.

None of the developments pleased Wall Street as Netflix lost more than a quarter of its value after the bad news came out. If that sharp decline holds in Tuesday's trading, it will mark the first time Netflix's stock price has fallen below $100 in nearly 14 months.

Netflix shares shed $33.01, or nearly 28 percent, to $85.75 in Monday's extended trading.

It's the latest setback for a former stock market darling whose shares topped $300 just 3 1/2 months ago. Netflix's market value had already plunged by about 60 percent, or nearly $9 billion, before Monday's late sell-off.

Netflix lost its luster among consumers and investors by raising prices as much as 60 percent in the U.S. and bungling an attempt to spin off its DVD-by-mail rental service.

Raising the prices had to be done, according to Netflix CEO Reed Hastings. He said, however, that Netflix should have taken more time to explain to subscribers that the company needed the money to pay movie and television studios for rights to stream more video over high-speed Internet connections.

"We became a symbol of the evil, greedy corporation," Hastings said in a Monday interview with The Associated Press. "Then we faced a reputational hit that created significantly more cancellations than we anticipated."

The company, which is based in Los Gatos, ended September with 23.8 million U.S. subscribers, down about 800,000 from June. Netflix had predicted it would lose about 600,000 U.S. subscribers in a forecast released last month.

Management expects to gain U.S. subscribers in the current quarter, although Netflix didn't set a specific target. But a substantial number of Netflix's customers are expected to choose between renting DVDs through the mail, or streaming Internet video, instead of paying for both services.

The biggest hit is expected on the DVD side, a service that Netflix has been de-emphasizing to save money on mailing costs as its spends more to license movies and TV shows for its Internet video library. The company expects its DVD subscribers to fall from 13.9 million as of Sept. 30 to as low as 10.3 million at the end of December.

Hastings said he expects Netflix's DVD subscriptions to steadily decline, much like what has happened to AOL Inc.'s dial-up Internet connection service during the past decade as high-speed alternatives became more affordable.

Netflix's streaming subscriptions in the U.S. may rise by as much as 100,000 subscribers in the quarter, according to the company's projections.

The company's outlook looks even grimmer compared with how rapidly Netflix had been growing. From the end of 2009 through June of this year, Netflix had gained 12.3 million U.S. subscribers — adding an average of 2 million customers every three months.

From a financial perspective, Netflix did better than analysts expected in the July-September period.

The company earned $62.5 million, or $1.16, per share, in the third quarter. That compared to income of $38 million, or 70 cents per share, at the same time last year.

The performance topped the average earnings estimate of 96 cents per share among analysts polled by FactSet.

Netflix's revenue climbed 49 percent from the same time last year to nearly $822 million — about $9 million above analyst estimates.

Netflix's downfall leaves Hastings — the only CEO the company has ever had — in a precarious position.

Once regarded as one of the savviest leaders in technology and entertainment, Hastings has turned into a punching bag for frustrated Netflix customers and shareholders. Many of them are still befuddled by his recent decision making.

After Netflix's higher prices kicked in on Sept. 1, Hastings amplified the outrage by outlining a plan to toss the DVD rental business onto a separate website called Qwikster. The split from the Internet streaming service got panned so badly that Hastings reversed course in less than three weeks.

"I am not a quitter," Hastings said Monday after the AP asked him if would heed some investor calls for him to resign. "We made some mistakes, but I think our 10-year track record is extremely positive. We are going to focus on making this a great global streaming business. I am very excited about that."

Loser
10-25-2011, 02:47 PM
Would explain the dozen or so emails in my inbox from them, begging me to come back.

Quiet pathetic to be honest.

You don't upgrade your selection and attempt a 50-100% price increase? WTF did you think was going to happen?

Fucking idiots.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-25-2011, 03:03 PM
Not only all that Loser, I'm pissed that they made that deal with several of the Hollywood studios to delay new releases for a month to try and force people to buy the DVD instead. What a bunch of horseshit.

I haven't canceled (I'm on a DVD only plan, so my price actually went down), but I'm close to canceling

PorkChopSandwiches
10-25-2011, 03:12 PM
Its funny how all of the end users could tell them this would happen, but the people "in charge" just couldnt see it :roll:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-25-2011, 04:51 PM
Not sure what they were thinking on all this. I can understand them wanting to raise prices and everything as I am sure their costs have gone up just like everyone else's, but to just immediately gouge people thinking they wouldn't revolt was asinine on their part.

And even though I'm on the DVD only plan now, the service seems to have gone downhill as well.

Goofy
10-25-2011, 05:38 PM
couple of things...I won't watch streaming anything, I will download the movie for enjoyment according to my schedule.If they allow this, good for them.

if a movie comes out this week as a normal DVD release on Tuesday, I want to download it Tuesday night...

Same here :tup:

Noilly Pratt
10-25-2011, 06:26 PM
Wow...and Canadian Nexflix is supposed to be only half of what the U.S. Version is. (less first-run movies etc.).

There are lots of video stores closing up in our town, with all the online services available. We've been getting our movies from the library for nothing - as almost as good a selection as NetFlix!

I feel sorry for the older folks who aren't that internet savvy - they could always walk to the store and get entertainment for home. Not so anymore - and to ask them to learn the internet in most cases would be impossible.