PDA

View Full Version : Hey GF........

Joebob034
02-25-2011, 05:49 PM
Do you get AMC in the Yukon Territories? Because they've been showing all 3 parts of the Godfather this week :thumbsup:

Godfather
02-25-2011, 05:52 PM
:lol: I'm not in the Yukon you jerk :lol:

I do get AMC Canada but I didn't notice! They kinda seemed to be on some sort of crime movie run. Training day, Goodfellas, Godfather II. Great week :thumbsup:

DemonGeminiX
02-25-2011, 06:09 PM
Godfather is in a little outpost in the farthest northern reaches of Nunavut.

He wrestles polar bears for food.

:mrgreen:

Godfather
02-25-2011, 06:18 PM
Yeah..... wrestles 8-[

Kids, leave mommy and daddy alone... they're....wrestling

Joebob034
02-25-2011, 06:19 PM
that's what I always thought

Hal-9000
02-25-2011, 07:00 PM
:lol:

hey GF aren't you near Baffin Island? I heard all you Canadians live near there

Godfather
02-25-2011, 07:03 PM
Ya pretty much, like... 20 minute canoe ride :-k

I work there at Tim Horton's headquarters.

Hal-9000
02-25-2011, 07:04 PM

I take the beaver for short jaunts

Godfather
02-25-2011, 07:04 PM
Nice :lol:

Fuggin' beavers wrecked my igloo last night... I threw nickels at them. They didn't catch the irony

Hal-9000
02-25-2011, 07:10 PM
Nice :lol:

Fuggin' beavers wrecked my igloo last night... I threw nickels at them. They didn't catch the irony

fook man are you here all week? :lol: shows at 7 and 9????

Godfather
02-25-2011, 07:13 PM

Try the donuts, tip your waitresses... with toonies

Hal-9000
02-25-2011, 07:14 PM
what are you goin on aboot ,eh?

take off

*damn, that one's old :lol:

Joebob034
02-25-2011, 07:19 PM
how many cups of syrup do you drink a day?

Godfather
02-25-2011, 07:33 PM

We should give a lesson on how to use 'eh'. I think people think we just say it arbitrarily, but its usage is something you can give definition to for sure! The smaller communities not so much, but when dealing with Canadians for business it'd be helpful to know how to use it formally :-k

1. Unlike in media mocking us, 'eh' isn't an elongated "A" sound. It's quick, short word. Think of how fast you say the word "stay" and then lose the "st"

2. You need to think of 'eh' as a question or statement with tangible meaning. It could be roughly translate to: "what do you think" or "am I right?" or "don't you agree." And it can be used as a matter of fact/statement like a stern "Ok?"

Example: "Turn left here eh?" - Meaning: "I turn left here correct?"

3. Often times we're inaccurately depicted as using it extremely arbitrarily.

Incorrect example: "We are at home, eh." or "This is a chair eh."

While both examples could potentially be used telling a story in past-tense or to correct someone - they are not generally used in the present tense. Meaning, you may be telling a story that goes:

"So [yesterday] I'm at home eh, and a grizzly busts down my door!"

You would not turn to a person beside you and go: "I sitting, eh." Unless the person happened to not know or was mistaken and didn't realize it. What would work is as follows:

Example:
"Hey Bob, pass me that cup of pop"
[You could respond, if they were incorrect in a part of that statement]
"That's not pop, it's Rye eh"

It's usage is, while ridiculous, slightly less moronic. It's quite a simple but not meaningless quip. If anything, it saves a few obvious words that would otherwise be needed to turn a statement into a question
Example: "Man it's cold out eh?" or "The Canucks sure are doing well eh?"

And as earlier mentioned, it can be used sternly:
Example: You're not getting a new sled eh. You lost the last one in a week son.

4. Canadians do not generally integrate it more than once into what you would re-write as a single paragraph. We would not use it as follows:

"So I'm at Tim horton's eh. And this guy comes up to me and wants some change eh? But I don't have any change eh. So I said, I have no change eh. And he got all mad eh."

Instead, you might hear as follows. "I'm vacationing in Florida next week, eh!? I'm taking my family for a week. We're leaving next weekend but it's a surprise so don't mention anything."

6. Most importantly... we don't realize we do it. Usually we slip in a quick 'eh' while traveling to the United States, and when a friendly American points it out, we have to think about where exactly we used it. It's built in like Maple Syrup. And as funny as it may be, pointing it out isn't a tourist attraction. We won't take offense, but we don't particularly care either

That's about it. :)

Teh One Who Knocks
02-25-2011, 07:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8zeB7b1uFY

Hal-9000
02-25-2011, 07:58 PM
thanks for the 'eh' lesson GF :thumbsup:

I've been doing it wrong all these years :lol:

The article is very accurate..much like the Brits use 'right?' at the end of some sentences.
Here's a real world example since it's been minus 300 for the past few weeks here.

hal's bud- Pretty cold out eh?
hal bud - Yep, it's like I have 3 nipples eh?
hal's bud - You're such a fucking pig :lol:

Goofy
02-25-2011, 08:02 PM
Eh? :wha:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-25-2011, 08:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJE3EgTGg9k

ItsBlondie
02-25-2011, 08:04 PM
Moved to "Movie and TV discussion" in 3.....2......

Hal-9000
02-25-2011, 08:06 PM
the topic is Canadiana....so trash will probably be the next destination on the tour :lol:

Godfather
02-25-2011, 08:11 PM
the topic is Canadiana....so trash will probably be the next destination on the tour :lol:

I spent a good 20 minutes writing my Eh Article and nobody will ever see it

Hal-9000
02-26-2011, 03:29 AM
unlike our American friends who punctuate the ends of most sentences with gunfire

:lol: ok, Imma blazin

Foxdana
02-26-2011, 03:54 AM
unlike our American friends who punctuate the ends of most sentences with gunfire

:thumbsup: :lol: This did make me laugh!

I don't know much about the interaction with the Canadians and Americans, its always fun to read!

Joebob034
02-26-2011, 04:02 PM
can this become the unofficial Canada thread, cuz you know we already have the official one with the NHL thread.

Noilly Pratt
02-26-2011, 04:43 PM
can this become the unofficial Canada thread, cuz you know we already have the official one with the NHL thread.

Yeah, like let's let our Canadian freak flag fly, eh?

Slang

for being a Canadian - a Canuck
McD's - McDonalds
Timmy's / Timmy Ho's / Horny Tim's / Tim's (Depending on what part of Canada) - Tim Horton's Doughnut shop
Double Double - 2 Sugars, 2 Milks in your coffee. Started at Timmys, but is univerally accepted even at McD's
Homo Milk or Baby Milk - Means homogenized milk - Milk with greater than 2% fat (usually 3.25%). Often you'll see a shopper with 2% for the family and the homo milk exclusively for the baby to drink.
Kraft Dinner or KD - Macaroni and Cheese made by the Kraft corporation.
Loonie / Toonie - Our currency. The 1 dollar and 2 dollar coins, respectively.
Interac- one network for Debit Cards, but you can say "Use the Interac" and people will know what you mean.
Fire hall - fire station
Puck Bunny - Groupie to a Hockey Player.
Parkade - Parking Garage
Serviette - Napkin.
Toque - a knitted winter hat
bachelor - apartment without a real bedroom
Shit-stirrer - One who causes trouble to happen
chesterfield - sofa. This one is becoming extinct.
concession road - Ontario/Quebec only - one of a set of roads laid out by the colonial government as part of the distribution of land in standard lot sizes. The roads were laid out in squares as nearly as possible equal to 1,000 acres. I used to live at "12 Concession Road" in my old hometown.
eaves-troughs - Gutter of a house. Said like "easetrofs"

Canadian stuff we just know

Our post code...the first letter indicates the province. V = British Columbia. S = Saskatchewan for example.

Godfather
02-27-2011, 07:05 AM
Postal Code Section II:

ZIP Code - A trivial America-only number some website ask for that doesn't fit 6 digit Postal Codes, nor does it change when the country is changed to Canada. Enrages Canadians everywhere

Sometimes Canadians wishing to enter websites demanding these arbitrary numbers will find a random address (Ray's Gun Shack, Fort Worth Texas) to borrow the ZIP Code and access the web page

Joebob034
02-27-2011, 05:04 PM
I always use Schenetady, NY because it's 12345

Hal-9000
02-27-2011, 07:41 PM
I don't know much about the interaction with the Canadians and Americans, its always fun to read!

It's like having an older, stronger brother who holds you down, farts on your head and laughs...but he always helps you up later and makes sure you're ok.

DemonGeminiX
02-27-2011, 07:58 PM
It's like having an older, stronger brother who holds you down, farts on your head and laughs...but he always helps you up later and makes sure you're ok.

My brother never helped me up and made sure I was ok. He just kept laughing at me.

:|

Sapphire
02-27-2011, 08:05 PM
I killed my brother and buried him under the patio :dance:

Joebob034
02-27-2011, 10:35 PM
I killed my brother and buried him under the patio :dance:

:shock:

Hugh_Janus
02-27-2011, 10:40 PM
pfft.... pics or it never happened [-(

Teh One Who Knocks
11-18-2016, 03:37 PM

Hal :missing: :(

deebakes
11-18-2016, 05:30 PM
:(

DemonGeminiX
11-18-2016, 07:44 PM

Godfather
11-19-2016, 04:27 AM