PDA

View Full Version : Ford reintroduces the 1965 Mustang

Pony
10-29-2011, 11:07 AM
http://i.imgur.com/UFzFg.jpg

Ford Motor Co. will soon sell brand-new 1965 Ford Mustangs for just $15,000 each. The only hitch: There's some assembly required.

As part of its Ford Reproduction business, Ford revealed today it had approved a new stamping of the steel bodies for first-generation Mustang that buyers could then build into their own 1964 1/2 through 1966 Mustang, using whatever engine, axles, interior and other parts they can find on their own.

The first-generation Mustangs rank as America's most-restored vehicle, and the cottage industry of reproduction parts has grown to where it's possible to build a Mustang just as it would have appeared on the showroom floor in the mid-1960s, down to the pushbutton AM/FM radio.

Ford says the new body shell built by California-based Dynacorn has been improved only slightly with modern welding techniques and rustproofing, and comes out of the crate nearly ready for paint and assembly. The company already offers metal bodies for Mustangs from 1967 through 1970, and has been in talks with Ford to remake the original body of the Ford Bronco. There's still life in those old horses yet.

redred
10-29-2011, 11:09 AM
nice:afro:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-29-2011, 11:30 AM
That's awesome....if you have a place to work on it and put it together :lol:

Which I don't :sad2:

redred
10-29-2011, 11:47 AM
nor me now i haven't got a garage :sad2: saying that i don't think i would get a yank in my old one :lol:

Goofy
10-29-2011, 11:48 AM
That's awesome....if you have a place to work on it and put it together :lol:

Which I don't :sad2:

I do :face: I just dont have the money :lol:

redred
10-29-2011, 11:49 AM
i could do that part:lol: just may be a bit far to store it at yours

Goofy
10-29-2011, 11:51 AM
i could do that part:lol: just may be a bit far to store it at yours

You know i'd keep it safe :tup:

redred
10-29-2011, 11:52 AM
i know but i'd like to get my spanners dirty again :lol:

JoeyB
10-29-2011, 08:17 PM
I was very excited...until I read the article. First, no, I would not buy one, couldn't afford it...but, I've been saying for YEARS that companies should just remake old classics...they'd sell like hotcakes.

Modernize them only in an invisible fashion, to make them safer and more efficient. Preserve those beautiful lines.

But alas...once again...no...

KevinD
10-29-2011, 08:53 PM
If this comes with a legit VIN (since Ford is involved) It would be a great deal actually.

Muddy
10-29-2011, 11:07 PM
Wow... this is major...

KevinD
10-30-2011, 12:50 AM
Well, looks like a VIN is a no no. The dynacorn stuff is great, and it can actually be cheaper to start with one instead of restoring an old crusty POS original body.
I'll take a fastback, please...

Pony
10-30-2011, 12:52 AM
Yep, if I had the money I would love to put one together with a modern suspension and engine. I assume Ford won't do this because they would have to totally redesign the entire car including the body to meet current safety standards.

KevinD
10-30-2011, 01:29 AM
Fastback body, Pro-touring/ racing suspension 2012 Mustang style, Shelby quarter windows, Forrest green, tan interior, 18x10 rims all around, 6 speed manual, 2012 5.0 ltr with Kenne Belle 4.2 ltr charger.. And a small hit of N2O just for fun...

Pony
10-30-2011, 01:37 AM
OK Kev, lets do it!

KevinD
10-30-2011, 01:40 AM
halfsies?

I can do the mechanics, you handle paint and body..:-)

Pony
10-30-2011, 02:07 AM
Deal.

Now we just need to find someone to put up the money....

KevinD
10-30-2011, 02:09 AM
Sponsor hunt time..lol

redred
10-30-2011, 11:36 AM
can i join in? :lol:

Goofy
10-30-2011, 01:30 PM
halfsies?

I can do the mechanics, you handle paint and body..:-)

Deal.

I'll help with the paintwork :tup: redred can pay for it :D

redred
10-31-2011, 02:45 PM
who gets to drive it?

KevinD
10-31-2011, 08:56 PM
I get to first (builder) then Pony and Goof (paint/bodywork) and Red last (money man)

Damn, that's a lot of shipping for one car, lol

JoeyB
10-31-2011, 09:13 PM
I get to first (builder) then Pony and Goof (paint/bodywork) and Red last (money man)

Damn, that's a lot of shipping for one car, lol

I volunteer to be the first guy to get laid in it.

KevinD
10-31-2011, 09:26 PM
Masturbation doesn't count! :hand:

I'm too tall and a little too old to want to try it in the backseat anymore... :meh:

redred
11-01-2011, 01:00 PM
I volunteer to be the first guy to get laid in it.

:rofl: and this fantasy thread comes to an end

JoeyB
11-01-2011, 09:53 PM
Masturbation doesn't count! :hand:

I'm too tall and a little too old to want to try it in the backseat anymore... :meh:

I'm 40 years old, 6'2" tall, and really heavy.

But, find me a girl ready to spread her legs and I'll squeeze my fat ass into any backseat you got.

Hal-9000
11-01-2011, 09:55 PM
"using whatever engine, axles, interior and other parts they can find on their own."

15000 for the body and you gotta fill in the blanks?

:lol: horseshit....you have to find and install everything from the seats to the engine and drive train? Kiss another 20000 goodbye

KevinD
11-02-2011, 12:12 AM
"using whatever engine, axles, interior and other parts they can find on their own."

15000 for the body and you gotta fill in the blanks?

:lol: horseshit....you have to find and install everything from the seats to the engine and drive train? Kiss another 20000 goodbye

Other than the problem with not having a VIN, TBH, this isn't that bad of a deal. Absolute POS rust bucket First year Stangs routinely got for anywhere from $7-10k. If you aren't capable of repairing all the damage yourself, that can quickly add several thousand, BEFORE prep for paint. Even if you can do the repair yourself, patch panels and equipment to do the repairs can cost well over a gran or two, then, you'll STILL have to do interior, engine/drive-train.
I would rather that the price be in the $8-10k range, with a valid VIN, but tbh, if I had the cash, I'd spend it on one of these in a heartbeat, as I have neither the skills nor desire to replace 40+ years of rust and road rash.

JoeyB
11-02-2011, 04:53 AM
Other than the problem with not having a VIN, TBH, this isn't that bad of a deal. Absolute POS rust bucket First year Stangs routinely got for anywhere from $7-10k. If you aren't capable of repairing all the damage yourself, that can quickly add several thousand, BEFORE prep for paint. Even if you can do the repair yourself, patch panels and equipment to do the repairs can cost well over a gran or two, then, you'll STILL have to do interior, engine/drive-train.
I would rather that the price be in the $8-10k range, with a valid VIN, but tbh, if I had the cash, I'd spend it on one of these in a heartbeat, as I have neither the skills nor desire to replace 40+ years of rust and road rash.

Clue me in and mind you I'm not a car guy, but why is having a vehicle identification number so important here?

KevinD
11-05-2011, 05:19 AM
In a nutshell, without a VIN, you can't title it, insure it or in anyway register it. No tags, inspection sticker, etc.

And by all means, feel free to ask, lord knows there are many things I don't know, so I have to ask as well.

JoeyB
11-05-2011, 05:43 AM
In a nutshell, without a VIN, you can't title it, insure it or in anyway register it. No tags, inspection sticker, etc.

And by all means, feel free to ask, lord knows there are many things I don't know, so I have to ask as well.

So why would anyone sink that kind of money into a car they can't insure or register? Would it even be street legal?

KevinD
11-05-2011, 05:50 AM
s

KevinD
11-05-2011, 05:52 AM
WTH???!! I had a nice long reply to JoeyB, and a "S" is all that came up?

Oh well, in short: in some states, it can be legal in certain instances to transfer a VIN, therefore, you could buy one of these bodies, transfer the VIN, finish building it, and have a modern legal, insurable 65 Mustang.

Pony
11-05-2011, 06:08 AM
Yea, here I think it would just be a matter of having a state inspection and a paper trail of where you got the parts to transfer a vin and get a title.

JoeyB
11-05-2011, 06:53 AM
s

Just as I suspected!

Noilly Pratt
02-11-2012, 05:09 PM
Oh well, in short: in some states, it can be legal in certain instances to transfer a VIN, therefore, you could buy one of these bodies, transfer the VIN, finish building it, and have a modern legal, insurable 65 Mustang.

What people in Canada do is get some rusted out hulk of a car that still has its firewall (and therefore its VIN#) and buy it, then "restore" that car (basically grafting on that firewall onto whatever car they want to title - usually it's a car that has "parts only" or "salvage only" status.) I think it's questionable legality-wise but hard to track if done right.

This is done with VW Campers because they stopped making them a few years ago and there's a high demand here for them. Also with high end cars like Lambos and the like.