PDA

View Full Version : World's best DJ lives in Colorado

Teh One Who Knocks
10-31-2011, 02:10 PM
9 News Colorado

http://i.imgur.com/2bERu.png

WESTMINSTER - Chris Karns is a DJ who beat out the best in the world at a competition in October. He is now considered the world's best DJ.

He puts in the kind of time you'd expect of a great musician.

"Definitely spent hundreds of hours organizing music files," said Karns, whose fingers blur over his turntables as he scratches the records and toggles switches to create sounds that took him years to master.

"I was always just amazed, like 'how do they make those sounds?'" said Karns, who grew up watching hip hop on MTV.

But it was video from the DMC world finals - considered the premier international competition for DJs - that would change Karn's life.

"I was like two inches from the screen, my jaw dropped -- just like, 'I can't believe people just scratch.' This is what they do!" said Karns.

From there, Karns bought his tools, worked on a DJ name, and set his mind to becoming great.

"Practicing ten to twelve hour days - all my friends thought I'd moved and there was a rumor I was gone because I just never came out of the house," said Karns.

He admits getting by as a DJ after high school wasn't easy.

"I've worked at Fazoli's, Pizza Hut, Wendy's, and Safeway - and I couldn't keep a job. I could not keep a job," said Karns.

Thankfully, he got pretty good at working for himself.

He's played during halftime at a Denver Nuggets game and at other shows before thousands of people.

And he lives up to his name - DJ Vajra, which means "lightning" in Sanskrit - at clubs around Colorado.

His best professional show, though, happened earlier in October. DJ Vajra took the stage in London at the DMC finals and won.

"It's a moment that I'll really never forget," said Karns."I walked out from behind the curtain, and the entire crowd was just roaring."

To hear his music and find out about his shows, check out djvajra.com.

redred
10-31-2011, 02:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIPkh8d7VQg

he's not to bad is he :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-31-2011, 02:25 PM
I haven't heard it yet, just saw the story this morning. I'll check out the vid when I get home and have some sound, thanks Red :)

redred
10-31-2011, 02:30 PM
all i want to know after watching that vid is who says men can't multi cask :lol:

Joebob034
10-31-2011, 03:29 PM
:hand: the world's best DJ is DJ Pauly D

Iffy
10-31-2011, 05:27 PM
This is up there on the level of the World's Best Dog Walker...a real big who gives a shit

:thumbsdown:

Teh One Who Knocks
10-31-2011, 05:30 PM
:hater:

Iffy
10-31-2011, 05:35 PM
:wavey:

I'll admit that a lot of the music coming out these days needs a lot of mixing (to the point where its not recognizable) but its still nothing that unplugging the power cord wouldn't fix

Muddy
10-31-2011, 05:40 PM
This is up there on the level of the World's Best Dog Walker...a real big who gives a shit

:thumbsdown:

Agreed.. Worlds fastest texter, also.

deebakes
11-01-2011, 01:30 AM
:hand: the world's best DJ is DJ Pauly D

:agreed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeCzqzK52yc

Joebob034
11-01-2011, 07:27 PM
:headbang: