PDA

View Full Version : What's the last thing you bought?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19

lost in melb.
12-21-2021, 12:32 PM
https://i.imgur.com/2xxBT1cl.jpeg

The itemized breakdown of the stupid registration fees here. :meh:

Christ. Why on earth would you need to know all that.

Hugh_Janus
02-03-2022, 09:44 PM
vehicle excise duty

Godfather
02-05-2022, 06:38 AM
Ordered a new laptop, a little Dell XPS 13" on sale $300 off. Only downside is a 6-7 week wait time, which seems kinda long for a pre-built laptop. Did a fair bit of research though and it's the one I've wanted for a while so looking forward to it.

DemonGeminiX
02-05-2022, 06:53 AM
Options as a Strategic Investment by Lawrence G. McMillan

Christ, this book is huge. I don't even have a dictionary this big.

Godfather
02-05-2022, 07:01 AM
That's a heavy book to delve into, I'll be curious to hear your review, please mention me when you finish it! With your background it sounds like you're someone who actually could succeed with options trading. Scares the shit out of me still.

lost in melb.
03-02-2022, 03:17 PM
Ordered a new laptop, a little Dell XPS 13" on sale $300 off. Only downside is a 6-7 week wait time, which seems kinda long for a pre-built laptop. Did a fair bit of research though and it's the one I've wanted for a while so looking forward to it.

Sweet. I was tossing up between that and my HP spectre for a long time. May I ask which colour you went for?

lost in melb.
03-02-2022, 03:19 PM
An unbelievable evolution in sound quality. I just can't believe how stunningly good this sounds. I would say convincingly almost as good as a 3 or 4,000 DAP (DIGITAL AUDIO PLAYER). Not much bigger than a matchbox.

https://i.ibb.co/jb0tbn1/IMG-20220303-WA0000.jpg (https://ibb.co/346K4gL)

KevinD
03-03-2022, 02:46 PM
New transmission and 4 tires for the truck. $6000.

lost in melb.
03-03-2022, 02:56 PM
New transmission and 4 tires for the truck. $6000.

:eep:

That's twice what my entire car is worth

Muddy
03-03-2022, 03:05 PM
Holy smokes..!

DemonGeminiX
03-03-2022, 05:02 PM
The transmission will kill ya. I appreciate that you love your truck, Kev, but if I ended up needing a new transmission, then I'm saying screw it, I'm looking for a new car. Not criticizing or anything, that's just where I draw the line.

My first car was a 1988 Chevy Cavalier. I ran that hunk of junk into the ground in 1997. What went? The transmission. If I recall correctly, a local shop wanted $4k to put a new one in. That $4k was better spent as a down payment on my first Honda Civic.

KevinD
03-04-2022, 03:05 AM
Well, no normally I wouldn't put $5,100 into a used truck. Its a 2015 with 130,000 miles. Over all its in great shape, and its a fully loaded Silverado LTZ. Msrp was around 52,000 when new. I didnt pay that much though. And new truck prices are just stupid high. To replace the truck with a same level new one would be north of $65k. Not gonna happen. So, considering that I only paid $28k for the truck when I bought it in 2018, I'm okay with spending the $ to fix it. Plans are that it'll be the last truck I buy.

Pony
03-04-2022, 01:01 PM
My first car was a 1988 Chevy Cavalier. I ran that hunk of junk into the ground in 1997. What went? The transmission. If I recall correctly, a local shop wanted $4k to put a new one in. That $4k was better spent as a down payment on my first Honda Civic.

I'd bet you got more than 9 years out of the Civic too.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-04-2022, 01:06 PM
The transmission will kill ya. I appreciate that you love your truck, Kev, but if I ended up needing a new transmission, then I'm saying screw it, I'm looking for a new car. Not criticizing or anything, that's just where I draw the line.

My first car was a 1980 VW Jetta that would overheat in the summer. It would be 90° and 1000% humidity and you had to run the heater full blast to keep it from overheating and stalling out. What a POS it was :rofl:

Muddy
03-04-2022, 03:33 PM
Mine was a 1978 BMW 318i that would vapor-lock on the highway.. I loved that car when it was running. :d

KevinD
03-04-2022, 05:11 PM
First car? 1973 Mustang 2 (looked like a pinto kinda) baby blue, 302 v8 and air conditioning. I was 14 or 15. Only kid in middle school that had a car...Mom put a hole in the radiator and cracked the block.

How about the cheapest car you ever bought? In my case, a 1979 Mustang 4 cylinder around 1990 for $75.

Muddy
03-04-2022, 05:22 PM
Cheapest.. Old's Cutlass 4 door for $1100.

Pony
03-05-2022, 01:52 PM
First car and cheapest: 1980 Buick Skyhawk (Buicks version of the Monza) And I got it for free from a guy I was doing some work for. Just needed a battery. Loved that car.

lost in melb.
03-05-2022, 02:10 PM
Every car I've ever bought on my own steam has been a Ford Falcon.

DemonGeminiX
03-07-2022, 07:31 PM

11 years before it was forcibly retired by a F350 rear-ending me at a red light, 2 days before my sister's wedding. The whole back end looked like a compressed accordion. There was no way the insurance wasn't totaling it out. And I absolutely loved that car.

Anyway. I ordered a new-ish phone from Verizon. It's an S20 FE 5G. Apparently the FE stands for Fan Edition which apparently means that it's basically the same as the flag ship model, just cheaper. And I'm getting it on the cheap.

None of my banking apps work on my S5, so it has to go. I played with the idea of getting the S22, but I really don't feel like spending that kind of money on a phone. I beat the crap out of this S5 and it withstood my abuse, so maybe the newer phone will be just as tough.

Funny thing. I ordered accessories for it via Amazon the day after I ordered the phone. Case, screen protector, car charger. The accessories have already gotten here... but I'm still waiting on the phone to show up. :lol:

Pony
03-07-2022, 07:35 PM
Anyway. I ordered a new-ish phone from Verizon. It's an S20 FE 5G. Apparently the FE stands for Fan Edition which apparently means that it's basically the same as the flag ship model, just cheaper. And I'm getting it on the cheap.

None of my banking apps work on my S5, so it has to go. I played with the idea of getting the S22, but I really don't feel like spending that kind of money on a phone. I beat the crap out of this S5 and it withstood my abuse, so maybe the newer phone will be just as tough.

Funny thing. I ordered accessories for it via Amazon the day after I ordered the phone. Case, screen protector, car charger. The accessories have already gotten here... but I'm still waiting on the phone to show up. :lol:

I've got the S20, It's been good to me so far.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-07-2022, 08:09 PM
Anyway. I ordered a new-ish phone from Verizon. It's an S20 FE 5G.

The wife has that exact one, been a good phone for her so far.

Hugh_Janus
03-09-2022, 07:47 PM
maccies breakfast

DemonGeminiX
03-09-2022, 08:42 PM
The wife has that exact one, been a good phone for her so far.

I can't believe the amount of bloatware on this thing. All I've been doing since I got it yesterday is uninstalling crap and turning off all the ad-related, location-related, and background-related junk. I'm not even halfway through yet, and the phone is that much more faster than it was when I first fired it up.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-09-2022, 08:45 PM
I can't believe the amount of bloatware on this thing. All I've been doing since I got it yesterday is uninstalling crap and turning off all the ad-related, location-related, and background-related junk. I'm not even halfway through yet, and the phone is that much more faster than it was when I first fired it up.

We have T-Mobile, there was nothing really on either of our phones extra that we didn't really want when we got them (her S20 FE and my S21 5G).

PorkChopSandwiches
03-09-2022, 08:53 PM

That is exactly the reason I get the pixel, pure android no bloat

Teh One Who Knocks
03-09-2022, 10:21 PM
That is exactly the reason I get the pixel, pure android no bloatDo you buy the Pixel thru the carrier or from Google or from a 3rd party store like Best Buy or something? Because I'm sure that makes a difference. Carriers are notorious for pre-loading crap onto phones.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-09-2022, 11:02 PM
Quick trip to the grocery store and grabbed a few things and it came to just under $100 :|

Muddy
03-09-2022, 11:12 PM
I have s20+ as well.

lost in melb.
03-10-2022, 12:02 AM
I have s20+ as well.

I'm thinking of that one too. Does it fit in the hand well??

Muddy
03-10-2022, 01:22 AM

I think so..I think I have a thumb injury though..

DemonGeminiX
03-10-2022, 03:14 AM

For my hand size, it's big, but it has one handed mode under Advanced Features (puts the entire screen in a smaller window) that I could always use if I needed to.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-23-2022, 10:08 AM
$52 worth of gas. Most I've spent at the pump so far. And that was with 15¢ off per gallon :| Spent $198 this month in gas just to go back and forth to work because we use the wife's vehicle on the weekends.

Pony
03-23-2022, 11:33 AM
$52 worth of gas. Most I've spent at the pump so far. And that was with 15¢ off per gallon :| Spent $198 this month in gas just to go back and forth to work because we use the wife's vehicle on the weekends.

I filled two gas cans and the van Sunday. 23 gallons $92.

PorkChopSandwiches
03-23-2022, 05:03 PM
The gas stations out here stop you filling at $100, they have now upped it to $125 and it still doesn't fill my wife's truck :roll:

Muddy
03-23-2022, 06:28 PM
One thing that sucks about Android is in a group conversation through texts with a lot of people I can not like individual comments without clogging up text message with individual replies like Dee does on here..

PorkChopSandwiches
03-23-2022, 08:14 PM
One thing that sucks about Android is in a group conversation through texts with a lot of people I can not like individual comments without clogging up text message with individual replies like Dee does on here..

They used to have a feature where I could exit a group chat, but it seems now I'm stuck in them for eternity

deebakes
03-24-2022, 12:53 AM

:tup:

Muddy
03-24-2022, 01:30 AM
:lol: kidding Bud..

deebakes
03-24-2022, 02:36 AM
:woot:

Fodster
03-24-2022, 02:45 AM
Needed extra room on my PS4

https://www.harveynorman.com.au/seagate-beskar-ingot-drive-special-edition-firecuda-2tb-external-hard-drive.html

https://azcd.harveynorman.com.au/media/catalog/product/cache/21/image/992x558/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/t/stkl2000403-seagate-beskar-ingot-drive-special-edition-firecuda-2.jpg

deebakes
03-24-2022, 02:51 AM
pretty stellar, i should get something like that for my kid, he's complaining about storage :lol:

Fodster
03-24-2022, 03:09 AM
ha ha now I feel fucking old!

Only $119 AUD

KevinD
03-28-2022, 05:48 PM
New script glasses: Oakley and some new scrip sunglasses:Ray Ban. Man they got expensive..

Teh One Who Knocks
03-28-2022, 05:55 PM
New script glasses: Oakley and some new scrip sunglasses:Ray Ban. Man they got expensive..

When I got my new glasses about a month ago, I got Oakley frames, polycarb lenses, blue light blocking and non-scratch coating and even with insurance it was just over $500.

KevinD
03-28-2022, 06:05 PM
I guess its a location thing. The Oakley were about $300 altogether. Same specs on lenses as yours. Barrel something or other frames

Pony
03-28-2022, 06:37 PM
I couldn't afford new glasses so I just went out and bought a bigger monitor. Acer 2k 32" curved.

Godfather
03-29-2022, 03:34 AM
Been looking at the Sony XM4's for a year or so now. They retail for $499 Canadian and sometimes go on sale for $399 which still felt kinda frivolous to me, but they went down to $350 (maybe the next gen is coming?) so I pulled the trigger. Haven't owned a nice set of noise cancelling headphones before and I've got about 8 flights this month for work so it seems worth it. Interested to see how well the noise cancelling works with plane noise. Also excited that they work both wireless and wired. You can obviously spend way more than $350 on good headphones but I usually go with cheapo ones so pretty pumped about this purchase.

lost in melb.
03-29-2022, 05:55 AM
Both XM-4s and the buds are excellent :thumbsup:

deebakes
03-29-2022, 06:26 PM
you'll love the noise canceling gf, i did when i used to travel a lot

KevinD
03-29-2022, 11:39 PM
Spark plugs, engine air filter, brake pads and rotors for youngest daughter's car. Still need to do struts and shocks but that'll have to wait for next trip home. I need a couple tools I dont have. She's moving to San Antonio area to live with my sister in law.

Godfather
03-31-2022, 02:44 AM
Both XM-4s and the buds are excellent :thumbsup:

Got them the other day, I'm really impressed by the App. Usually I hate hardware that comes with an app, but it's pretty wild how much control you have over the headphones and noise cancelling settings.

Pony
04-10-2022, 12:01 PM
Just ordered an on demand water heater. With limited space replacing my 21 year old 20 gallon tank was gonna cost about $450 and the tankless was $550. Plus I will gain some space in my kitchen cabinet.

Now just gotta figure out what I need for wiring and plumbing supplies.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-12-2022, 06:16 PM
https://i.imgur.com/ZWxwwjQ.png

Customized the way we needed them they came to about $350/each and we got a pair of them for the living room. The direct sun on our windows all summer long just completely destroys blinds and we've tried real wood and faux wood and neither one can stand up to the heat.

Muddy
04-12-2022, 06:36 PM
That's pretty cool.. ^^

Teh One Who Knocks
04-12-2022, 06:43 PM
Yeah, we're really looking forward to getting them and installing them. They work with Alexa or if I plug them into a smart outlet they can be programmed to go up and down at whatever time you want. It's going to be pretty cool I hope.

Muddy
04-12-2022, 06:47 PM
Yeah, that sounds pretty nice..

PorkChopSandwiches
04-12-2022, 07:02 PM
https://i.imgur.com/ZWxwwjQ.png

Customized the way we needed them they came to about $350/each and we got a pair of them for the living room. The direct sun on our windows all summer long just completely destroys blinds and we've tried real wood and faux wood and neither one can stand up to the heat.

Love the idea, went to order, they reviews are pretty bad LOL
I'll wait to see how your experience is

1.0 out of 5 stars different shades, different motors, different remotes, different instructions...It's a nightmare.
Reviewed in the United States on November 18, 2020
Color: Greyish WhiteVerified Purchase
First, mounting the shade was simple. But there are gaps around the top and the sides so forget about blackout. Then I tried to get the remote working. The instructions seemed to be for a different remote that took a different battery size than mine. Turns out this happens to a lot of people. I figured out which battery was needed after poking around on the internet. You'd think it would just say so on the remote...but no. Then, the instructions did kind of work, but you have to know that when the instructions show them clicking some button with a pencil, you really have to press the Set button hidden in the battery compartment. Now I attempted to get it to work with Alexa....no go. I have echo dots. Apparently it requires certain Alexa devices only or may some kind of hub? I'm not sure. They list different devices in the instructions vs online and it depends on which motor is installed in your blinds....super confusing. Clearly made in a non-English speaking country so the instructions are difficult to understand "When found remote control not sensitive or controlling distance obviously shorter, please replace same battery mode for remote control". I think Borat wrote these.

So to get this to work with Alexa, I bought a new Echo 4th gen device. It has the Zigbee hub built in. Now I can discover devices and I can see the blind in the device list, but any command just gets you "Blind doesn't support that". "Blind doesn't support that".

They should not be selling this product to consumers with these glaring usability issues. It's a TERRIBLE customer experience trying to set this thing up.

1.0 out of 5 stars Some ups and downs - pun intended
Reviewed in the United States on October 14, 2020
Color: Dark GreyVerified Purchase
One of the three blinds I ordered works. The other two will not pair with the remote and the third won't charge. After attempting to pair with the remote the second and third blinds completely stopped working. They've been out of the box for two days.

Update 10.21.20
I sat weeping like a silly pregnant fool trying to get the blinds to work for hours. It appears to be a motor issue. One of them will not charge at all. Customer service has been very helpful to present and gracious. They've approved my return request though reportedly sent out new motors. I'm still waiting for them. I love the look of the blinds and am grateful for the service/support. I updated from a 1* to 4*. I'm hopeful to get the blinds up and running soon otherwise I'll plan to return.

Updated 11.4.20
I emailed customer service again several weeks later and was told that they would be ordering replacement motors and sent me information to replace the motors. I am quite concerned about the time to return lapsing prior to receiving any sort of replacement motors for the malfunctioning blinds. It seems like once I updated the review they dropped my case. I would not recommend using this company and am going through Amazon to address the issue.

https://www.amazon.com/Yoolax-Free-Stop-Blackout-Motorized-Darkening/dp/B07S75BFMZ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=2MBWALVS560P&keywords=yoolax%2Bmotorized%2Bblinds&qid=1649789887&sprefix=yoolax%2Caps%2C147&sr=8-1-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzTDBHWFRDUks4Q0pNJ mVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTM4MTkzMzY2MEhNU0ZVMUhVUyZlbmN yeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMDc3MjAwMTlCUFNITEhBMDBGOSZ3aWRnZ XROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05 vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

Muddy
04-12-2022, 07:07 PM
They have an overall 4.5 stars though..?

Teh One Who Knocks
04-12-2022, 07:08 PM
They have 4.5 stars out of more than 500 reviews. I take most reviews with a grain of salt, both 5 star and 1 star. If they're shit, Amazon has always been good about returns, so we'll see how they are when we get them.

Muddy
04-12-2022, 07:11 PM
Same.

PorkChopSandwiches
04-12-2022, 07:34 PM
yeah, but theses companies post their own fake reviews. I have seen it first hand :lol:

But, I'll trust your review

Teh One Who Knocks
04-19-2022, 02:26 PM
yeah, but theses companies post their own fake reviews. I have seen it first hand :lol:

But, I'll trust your review

They shipped factory direct from China. Ordered them on the 10th. Confirmed the dimensions by e-mail on the 11th. They shipped on the 12th from China, and they are on the FedEx truck out for delivery today. Fairly impressed with this part so far.

Muddy
04-19-2022, 02:45 PM
I bought a pop-up tent that has 1 side on it. Will put it on back deck.

PorkChopSandwiches
04-19-2022, 03:45 PM
They shipped factory direct from China. Ordered them on the 10th. Confirmed the dimensions by e-mail on the 11th. They shipped on the 12th from China, and they are on the FedEx truck out for delivery today. Fairly impressed with this part so far.

Thats quick

KevinD
04-24-2022, 12:04 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/7Y52VYf4/20220423-175516.jpg

lost in melb.
04-24-2022, 04:31 AM

:watching:

DemonGeminiX
04-24-2022, 06:31 AM

That's perdy.

lost in melb.
04-24-2022, 10:07 PM

0 to 60 in ??

KevinD
04-25-2022, 12:20 AM
0 to 60 in ??

Not sure yet. 1/4 mile in 11.8 at 116mph

Pony
04-25-2022, 08:41 AM

:shock:

Teh One Who Knocks
04-25-2022, 04:37 PM
Thats quick

Yup, they arrived FedEx this past Tuesday. Opened them up on Saturday so I could install them. For coming direct from the factory in China, the box was actually in amazing shape and the blinds were very well packed inside the box, so that was a plus. The installation instructions are very straightforward and they were easy to install. They were a bit of a tight fit, so definitely make sure that you have the measurements exact, and if you err, make sure to be slightly long instead of short on your window size if you are doing inside installation. Still got them in without too much effort. They are hung with just two brackets, 5 inches in from each end of the blinds. I assume that if you had longer ones, there would probably be a third bracket involved. Each bracket only takes two screws, so once you measure and drill, it goes pretty easily. After that, the blinds just snap into place.

We went with the solar panel option to charge the batteries so we wouldn't need a long ass cord hanging from each blind down to an outlet. Stuck the panels up at the very top of the window and they are barely even noticeable behind the shade. You do need to order their remote at first to make sure they go up and down and to the right length and the blinds were already pre-programed to work with the remote. One remote can control up to 16 different blinds individually or they have a combined channel to control all the blinds at once. No issues here either, they worked flawlessly.

Now the issue. I couldn't get them to pair with Alexa. Neither blind would connect. You are supposed to follow their instructions to put them in discovery mode, and then you have Alexa discover new devices. I tried with both my Echo dot and the Show and neither could find the blinds. I also tried with the Alexa app on the phone and that didn't work either. But before I go and say that part is a failure, I emailed them this morning to see what the issue is and I will wait to hear back from them. At the bare minimum, they are pretty decent automatic shades. Quality seems very good and they work as advertised. But the big reason we did go with this brand is that they are advertised as working with Alexa and so far that doesn't work. I will hold off on reviewing the blinds on Amazon until it gets to the point where it's obvious that will never work. But if they can guide me through something that's missing and they finally do connect, then it will be perfect.

Will keep you posted on what we hear back from our new Chinese friends. So far I would give them 5 stars on the product and quality of the product because they are really nice, but I would only go 3-1/2 stars if we can't get them to work with Alexa because that's what we really want.

KevinD
04-25-2022, 08:39 PM
For those interested, the new car is a slightly used 2020 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat-Pak Wide Body 50th commemorative edition. 485hp 6.4ltr motor, 8 speed auto transmission, 20x11" rims, and 305/35-20zr tires. Its got every option available in 2020 except the high end Harmon Kardon stereo. It has the Alpine system. Wife loves it for the auto trans, and the sun roof. It had 14,000 miles on it when I bought it, and a $2000 aftermarket Borla cat back exhaust. New 2022 versions go for 60k. They had this listed at 47k (fair, but not great) and they gave me 21k trade in on my Camaro SS 1LE with 92k miles. Got them to add an extended warranty (84,000/6 year) and with ttl,wound up financing just a bit over 31k.

It doesn't handle quite as good as the 1LE, but I didnt expect it to. Its not bad for a 4500lb car. My plans are to add some front and rear shock tower bars later on. Maybe a cold air induction intake, and that's about it.

The 1/4 times are what Road&Track tested it at. Honestly, i think its a low 12 second car. Just for S&G, I went out last evening and ripped off a few 0-60mph runs. According to the onboard performance data logger, they were all right around 4seconds on the not so great Pirelli Pzero tires.

Now I'm detailing the inside and the matte black wrap and trim. I've good buddy that details cars on the side,and later on he'll do a real detail, paint correction and ceramic coating.

DemonGeminiX
04-25-2022, 09:44 PM
For those interested, the new car is a slightly used 2020 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat-Pak Wide Body 50th commemorative edition. 485hp 6.4ltr motor, 8 speed auto transmission, 20x11" rims, and 305/35-20zr tires. Its got every option available in 2020 except the high end Harmon Kardon stereo. It has the Alpine system. Wife loves it for the auto trans, and the sun roof. It had 14,000 miles on it when I bought it, and a $2000 aftermarket Borla cat back exhaust. New 2022 versions go for 60k. They had this listed at 47k (fair, but not great) and they gave me 21k trade in on my Camaro SS 1LE with 92k miles. Got them to add an extended warranty (84,000/6 year) and with ttl,wound up financing just a bit over 31k.

It doesn't handle quite as good as the 1LE, but I didnt expect it to. Its not bad for a 4500lb car. My plans are to add some front and rear shock tower bars later on. Maybe a cold air induction intake, and that's about it.

The 1/4 times are what Road&Track tested it at. Honestly, i think its a low 12 second car. Just for S&G, I went out last evening and ripped off a few 0-60mph runs. According to the onboard performance data logger, they were all right around 4seconds on the not so great Pirelli Pzero tires.

Now I'm detailing the inside and the matte black wrap and trim. I've good buddy that details cars on the side,and later on he'll do a real detail, paint correction and ceramic coating.

She's a beaut, Kev. I'm afraid Greta Thunberg will be thoroughly disappointed in you though.

KevinD
04-25-2022, 09:47 PM
She's a beaut, Kev. I'm afraid Greta Thunberg will be thoroughly disappointed in you though.

Now that she's of age, ill take her for a ride and scare those pantaloons right off...lol

Actually, so far the mpg isn't too bad. I got a 24mpg average on the 200 mile trip home, mostly at 70-75mph. Around town? Not so great. Haha

Pony
04-25-2022, 11:15 PM
I bought 1k worth of flooring.

I hope it goes as fast as Kevs new toy.

lost in melb.
04-25-2022, 11:19 PM

:obama:

KevinD
04-26-2022, 12:29 AM
I bought 1k worth of flooring.

I hope it goes as fast as Kevs new toy.

I'm not far behind you. I need to redo the flooring in the studio/guesthouse. Around 400sqft. The lvt we decided on is $3.85/sqft

KevinD
04-26-2022, 12:29 AM
:obama:

Not sure what you mean...

Hugh_Janus
04-26-2022, 06:25 PM
lunch

Muddy
04-26-2022, 07:52 PM
11 second 1/4 mile is gettin' it..!

Pony
04-26-2022, 10:27 PM
I'm not far behind you. I need to redo the flooring in the studio/guesthouse. Around 400sqft. The lvt we decided on is $3.85/software.

I went with vinyl plank, I think it was $3.49SF. There were some cheaper options out there but I either didn't like it or they didn't have it in stock. Was a bit under the gun as I'd already scheduled the van on the boat to the island, only had Sunday afternoon to get flooring.

KevinD
04-27-2022, 03:09 AM
11 second 1/4 mile is gettin' it..!

Thats time I could find posted/reviewed for bone stock. I don't think its quite that quick. My best guess is 12.2-12.5. Still not shabby for a 4500lb car.

PorkChopSandwiches
04-27-2022, 03:49 PM
How the blinds working out

Teh One Who Knocks
04-28-2022, 11:08 AM
How the blinds working out

I got a list of things to try from the manufacturer as to how to try and connect with Alexa, but I haven't had a chance to try them yet. Otherwise, they're great.

Pony
04-29-2022, 01:21 PM
Bought $40 in mulch, and $160 bucks worth of groceries (and my fridge is still empty).

KevinD
04-29-2022, 09:29 PM
Quick startup video of the Challenger.

https://m.youtube.com/shorts/EsUALQnwTQc

Hugh_Janus
05-01-2022, 08:00 PM
a loaf of bread.

also, i thought you were a gm guy kev

KevinD
05-01-2022, 08:20 PM
a loaf of bread.

also, i thought you were a gm guy kev

Mostly, yes. Tbh, its whatever I can get the best deal on that fits my needs/wants at the time. Ive had 2 Challengers (including the new one), 3 Mustangs, and maybe 6 Camaros. Numbers on Camaros might be off a bit. I'm deep into the moonshine atm.

KevinD
05-01-2022, 08:24 PM
My honest basis for the new Challenger was the availability of adjustable lumbar. Not available on the previous model Camaro, not available on the current model either. The current Camaro is too small inside for my taste, and I don't like anything about the current Mustangs other than the performance. I'd wanted a Challenger since they came out, and was able to work out a fantastic trade on my Camaro. Didnt really want more payments, but you gotta pay to play.

Muddy
05-02-2022, 02:10 PM
2007 Club Car golf cart with rear seat, lights, and windshield.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-02-2022, 04:17 PM
Iced Tea with lemon

Pony
05-03-2022, 12:18 AM
2007 Club Car golf cart with rear seat, lights, and windshield.

What did that cost ya? Used carts are insane here right now.

Muddy
05-03-2022, 10:09 AM

PorkChopSandwiches
05-03-2022, 04:12 PM
Clover seed to replace our grass

Muddy
05-03-2022, 04:35 PM
Clover seed to replace our grass

Really? Why?

Muddy
05-03-2022, 04:45 PM

https://i.imgur.com/Cb9FDU9.jpg

PorkChopSandwiches
05-03-2022, 05:05 PM
Really? Why?

Because CA refuses to build reservoirs so we are in a constant state of draught. And the clover still looks like grass cover but doesn't need much water. Currently they are trying to tell us we can only water 1 day a week. Which means the lawn dies

https://www.outsidepride.com/images/products/detail/miniclover/minicloverlawncustomer.jpg

Muddy
05-03-2022, 05:40 PM
Fair enough.. :thumbsup: (you have a lovely home BTW)

PorkChopSandwiches
05-03-2022, 05:51 PM
LOL, thats not my beautiful house

Muddy
05-03-2022, 07:11 PM
Are these not your beautiful kids??

https://64.media.tumblr.com/39678dc205ceea134223627064bad063/851d5be6bb3f64b5-92/s640x960/61c7ffc1bb42ca1e402f492e53ed297995d16ae9.jpg

PorkChopSandwiches
05-03-2022, 07:21 PM
That is not my beautiful wife

Muddy
05-03-2022, 08:04 PM
fgn, same as it ever was.. :(

DemonGeminiX
08-23-2022, 02:27 AM
Spending spree tonight.

12 gauge slugs
5.56 55gr
.308 Winchester

Pony
09-30-2022, 08:59 PM
Mellif Cordless Transfer Pump for Dewalt 20V Max Battery

KevinD
09-30-2022, 09:34 PM
$60 worth of groceries, so 2 bags, not even full...haha

lost in melb.
09-30-2022, 09:47 PM
Organic grass-fed whey powder

KevinD
10-01-2022, 12:27 AM
:eyes:

:Lolwhut:

Godfather
10-01-2022, 12:31 AM
Solid choice :lol: Sounds soft but whey powders been shown to be the most effective protein powder if you're lifting, I take that and creatine daily.

Teh One Who Knocks
10-01-2022, 01:34 AM
$480 tree pruning

DemonGeminiX
10-01-2022, 03:36 PM
Solid choice :lol: Sounds soft but whey powders been shown to be the most effective protein powder if you're lifting, I take that and creatine daily.

But it's better to eat animal protein, particularly right after a muscle building routine. The human body absorbs animal protein better than plant-based protein.

lost in melb.
10-01-2022, 07:14 PM
:eyes:

:Lolwhut:

What's not to love? :lol:

Edit: ok, I misspelled grass. I get it. :)

I can really feel it. Whey is king!

But it's better to eat animal protein, particularly right after a muscle building routine. The human body absorbs animal protein better than plant-based protein.

Whey is a milk protein.

BTW, nothing wrong with plant proteins. You just need to make sure to combine them properly to cover all the amino acid groups.

DemonGeminiX
10-01-2022, 09:50 PM
Whey is a milk protein.

BTW, nothing wrong with plant proteins. You just need to make sure to combine them properly to cover all the amino acid groups.

Eat a piece of chicken, you heathen. :x

Godfather
10-02-2022, 06:41 PM

I don't disagree at all, but downing 20g of protein in a shake right after a workout has some good proven benefits and it's easier than eating a cold chicken breast for breakfast if you work out in the morning :lol:

Hugh_Janus
10-16-2022, 04:29 PM
something with a V8 and 2 turbos

Hugh_Janus
10-16-2022, 04:31 PM
something with a V8 and 2 turbos

oh and I wish I'd never bought it :lol:

deebakes
10-16-2022, 04:32 PM
:shock:

Hugh_Janus
10-16-2022, 04:40 PM
and I didn't buy it off darkhumour :mrgreen:

deebakes
10-16-2022, 05:37 PM
that's too bad, he probably had several to spare

DemonGeminiX
10-17-2022, 10:09 PM
A used Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 audio interface, a pair of Sony pro-audio headphones, and a cheap used Squier bass guitar (and the bastard looks brand-spankin' new).

PorkChopSandwiches
10-18-2022, 07:41 PM
new battery for my car

deebakes
10-19-2022, 01:30 AM
new battery for my car

$23k?

DemonGeminiX
11-26-2022, 03:09 AM
An Akai MIDI controller. A few books.

Pony
11-26-2022, 12:02 PM
A mini PC.

Fun fact I was doing Chip comparisons to see how newer processors stack up to my old one. Turns out my Core I5 3570K from 2012 still holds it's own against many current ones.

DemonGeminiX
12-07-2022, 03:15 AM
A used Xeon X5680 for my LGA1366 ASUS board. Actually, I bought it a week or so ago and just got it in my monster rig today. This Xeon runs like a champ, and runs cooler than the I7 920 that it's replacing. I got the Xeon for around $27. Not a bad pick up considering when they were first released back in 2010-2011, prices for these Xeons ran north of $1200 each.

I also picked up a used MSI Nvidia GeForce GT 710 2GB video card to replace the EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTS 250 I've been using since 2009 as well. The MSI runs better than the EVGA, and it takes less juice to do it. The EVGA required power direct from the power supply, while the MSI just uses bus power. The MSI is also a low profile card, so it takes up less space in the rig. I got this for around $37.

My monster rig's now running a lot cooler and noticeably better. It handles multitasking a lot better now. Hopefully, these upgrades will stave off the need for a new system for another few years.

Pony
12-07-2022, 12:33 PM
A used Xeon X5680 for my LGA1366 ASUS board. Actually, I bought it a week or so ago and just got it in my monster rig today. This Xeon runs like a champ, and runs cooler than the I7 920 that it's replacing. I got the Xeon for around $27. Not a bad pick up considering when they were first released back in 2010-2011, prices for these Xeons ran north of $1200 each.

I also picked up a used MSI Nvidia GeForce GT 710 2GB video card to replace the EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTS 250 I've been using since 2009 as well. The MSI runs better than the EVGA, and it takes less juice to do it. The EVGA required power direct from the power supply, while the MSI just uses bus power. The MSI is also a low profile card, so it takes up less space in the rig. I got this for around $37.

My monster rig's now running a lot cooler and noticeably better. It handles multitasking a lot better now. Hopefully, these upgrades will stave off the need for a new system for another few years.

Nice!

I've been on the fence about upgrade vs replace my PC. Currently I can't reboot it as it locks up. I think it may be because I stuffed a third HDD in it and the power supply can't handle it on reboot? Maybe if I pull that disk out of it and throw a better graphics card in it, I can get by another few years.

DemonGeminiX
12-07-2022, 03:12 PM
Nice!

I've been on the fence about upgrade vs replace my PC. Currently I can't reboot it as it locks up. I think it may be because I stuffed a third HDD in it and the power supply can't handle it on reboot? Maybe if I pull that disk out of it and throw a better graphics card in it, I can get by another few years.

What do you have in the system and how big is your power supply?

Teh One Who Knocks
12-07-2022, 03:28 PM
Nice!

How old is it? My current home PC is 12 or 13 years old now and still humming a long. I'll be sad when I have to replace it if it ever kicks the can.

Pony
12-07-2022, 06:21 PM
What do you have in the system and how big is your power supply?

Core I5 3570K 8? gigs ram Crappy graphics card, SSD + 2 or 3 HDD's (I unplugged the DVD to make a spot on the board for the additional HDD. Problems started shortly after that. Runs great as long as it doesn't shut down, I have a UPS plugged into it to keep it alive. Don't know what power supply but I'm sure it's probably only a couple hundred watts. Windows 7.

How old is it? My current home PC is 12 or 13 years old now and still humming a long. I'll be sad when I have to replace it if it ever kicks the can.

11 years. Runs great as long as I don't shut it down, takes hours to repair scan every time I do.

DemonGeminiX
12-08-2022, 05:23 AM
Core I5 3570K 8? gigs ram Crappy graphics card, SSD + 2 or 3 HDD's (I unplugged the DVD to make a spot on the board for the additional HDD. Problems started shortly after that. Runs great as long as it doesn't shut down, I have a UPS plugged into it to keep it alive. Don't know what power supply but I'm sure it's probably only a couple hundred watts. Windows 7.

11 years. Runs great as long as I don't shut it down, takes hours to repair scan every time I do.

:-k

Check device manager and see if you have any exclamation points by any hardware listed.

Did you uninstall the optical drive in device manager before yanking it? If the device drivers are still in the system and the system is expecting to see the DVD drive, you could run into some problems. Did you set the device precedence right in the BIOS?

Did you have an improper shut down after you put in the new drive?

Does it run better when you take the new drive back out? Check that.

If that junk doesn't tell you anything, get to a Command prompt and run it as administrator. Do these in order:

Actually, look up these commands before you do them so you know what it is you're doing. But I promise, I've used them without any problems.

sfc /scannow
Dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /CheckHealth
Dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /ScanHealth
Dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /RestoreHealth

chkntfs /x [Drive Letter] for example: chkntfs /x C:

Those might not work for Windows 7. If they don't, let me know. I'll hunt down the commands you need.

If you can, get to Windows update after all that and look for security patches. I know support has ended for Windows 7, but check anyway.

Try and reboot after all that.

Press Windows+E on your keyboard. Go to "This PC" on the left hand side. Right-click on your local disk and select "Properties". Go to "Tools" and under Error Checking, click on "Check". Do it for every drive.

Have you tried taking everything out except for the Mobo, CPU, RAM, and PSU, turning it on and getting some readings from the BIOS as you start adding stuff back in, one device at a time?

Exactly how big is the PSU? Crack it open and look for the info. You can never have too big a power supply. Mine's around 1000W, but in reality, I probably only need 350-400W. If it runs great with a UPS but crappy without it, your PCU might not be enough. Or is the UPS the only way you can get the machine to power on at all? Can't plug the machine directly into the wall alone?

Sorry to say this, but you need to stop using Windows 7 and either upgrade to 10, or get some flavor of Linux on that machine. 7's not supported any more and you're basically in the Wild West of computing now. If there's a security issue, MS isn't going to fix it.

Pony
12-08-2022, 12:56 PM
I can't do anything until spring, the PC is in Ohio, I'm not.

But to answer some of your questions, no. I haven't tried any troubleshooting steps. Been too busy.

I did not remove the optical drive in device manager, just unplugged it.
Bios is always set on all my computers with SSD and HDDs first
Haven't tried taking the questionable drive back out, it's a PITA to get the tower and cables out from where they are, that's why I haven't messed with it.
The UPS is only because there are regular power "blips" and it was constantly turning the PC off. (repeated improper shutdowns). I don't know if the problems started because of the power grid issues or the HDD but I do know that twice when it did a repair scan, once it came back up, that drive was/is missing.

I'm aware of the Windows 7 issues, I should have done the free upgrade when it was offered.

And that's the dilemma, IF I had to pay for a W10 license, a better graphics card, probably replace all the ram to get it to 16 and maybe a power supply, is it still worth spending a few hundred bucks on an 11 YO PC with outdated hardware?

Thanks for taking the time to help!

Pony
12-08-2022, 01:16 PM
BTW, It gets through BIOS fine, hangs on the Windows logo.

DemonGeminiX
12-08-2022, 02:26 PM
I can't do anything until spring, the PC is in Ohio, I'm not.

But to answer some of your questions, no. I haven't tried any troubleshooting steps. Been too busy.

I did not remove the optical drive in device manager, just unplugged it.
Bios is always set on all my computers with SSD and HDDs first
Haven't tried taking the questionable drive back out, it's a PITA to get the tower and cables out from where they are, that's why I haven't messed with it.
The UPS is only because there are regular power "blips" and it was constantly turning the PC off. (repeated improper shutdowns). I don't know if the problems started because of the power grid issues or the HDD but I do know that twice when it did a repair scan, once it came back up, that drive was/is missing.

I'm aware of the Windows 7 issues, I should have done the free upgrade when it was offered.

Thanks for taking the time to help!

BTW, It gets through BIOS fine, hangs on the Windows logo.

That sounds like your drive is toast. You might want to do some disk testing to make sure.

And that's the dilemma, IF I had to pay for a W10 license, a better graphics card, probably replace all the ram to get it to 16 and maybe a power supply, is it still worth spending a few hundred bucks on an 11 YO PC with outdated hardware?

A newer power supply is worth it because it's not limited to anything. You could get a really good one and just put it in the old build then take it out and put it in the new build when you're ready to put it together and retire the old one. You could get a better graphics card for cheap, the only thing limiting you there are the PCI slots on your motherboard. I don't know what kind of board you're using, so I can't advise you on that. But I will say if all you have available is PCI Express v 2.0, then you can safely assume that you won't be able to use a video card made for PCI-e v 3.0-6.0+. But you could get an older video card for cheap if you look around. I found mine on Ebay. At this point, I wouldn't bother with the RAM. I've got DDR3 1333MHz in my system (24GB), but I looked around for better and all I could find was 1600MHz and it was expensive. It's not really worth it unless you're gonna overclock it, and I've never bothered with that crap.

As for a Windows 10 license...

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/get-windows-10-free-or-cheap,5717.html

Check out #5.

DemonGeminiX
12-08-2022, 02:51 PM
:lol:

I'm gonna catch hell for this, but whatever: If the drive's dead, don't buy a new PSU.

Forgive me, it's early.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-08-2022, 02:55 PM
I didn't know that Penn State was available for sale :-k

DemonGeminiX
12-08-2022, 07:37 PM
I didn't know that Penn State was available for sale :-k

Everybody and everything's for sale, man. :shifty:

PorkChopSandwiches
12-08-2022, 08:48 PM
Everybody and everything's for sale, man. :shifty:

-Sandusky

Teh One Who Knocks
12-11-2022, 12:17 AM
Pizza.

I didn't realize how expensive pizza has gotten. It's been quite a while since we last ordered pizza and we went with a local place instead of a chain. Two medium pies and with tip it was $53.00

deebakes
12-11-2022, 12:39 AM
ooof, that's steep... must have had like 75 meats on it

lost in melb.
12-11-2022, 03:40 AM
Pizza.

I didn't realize how expensive pizza has gotten. It's been quite a while since we last ordered pizza and we went with a local place instead of a chain. Two medium pies and with tip it was $53.00

Can you please clarify here, are you saying that you got two medium pizzas for $53??

DemonGeminiX
12-11-2022, 03:58 AM
Pizza.

:wha:

Jesus, man. That's way too much money for pizza, especially medium pies.

richard3280
12-12-2022, 09:37 AM
Oof! $53 for two medium pizza's? Geeez! Highway robbery. Dominos medium (12", two toppings) = $6; Hand tossed (what does that mean exactly and are children allowed to watch?) = $12
Off chain pizzas, if they are ordinary pizzas, not 'Gourmet', wood-fired, roquette with Turkey Cheese and hand rolled oyster eyebrows, might be $18 - 22 (Aus Dollar)

Teh One Who Knocks
12-12-2022, 12:21 PM
It was $43 (with tax) if I would have gone to pick it up, but tack on the delivery fee ($3) and the driver tip ($7) and it brought it to $53. I looked at Papa Johns first, but their freaking delivery fee is more than $5 now, which is just crazy.

DemonGeminiX
12-12-2022, 12:34 PM
What kind of pizza's were they? Were they supreme's or meat lover's, or what?

Pony
12-12-2022, 12:35 PM
I switch back and forth from the budget chain pizza places to the "real" places. The independents are usually 16-22 bucks.

Papa Johns typically isn't on my list, not a huge fan. Still haven't had Dominos since they changes the recipe. Typically hit the local Georgios or Little Caesars for cheap food.
Good pizza places are all over my area back home, still looking for something decent here down south.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-12-2022, 12:42 PM
What kind of pizza's were they? Were they supreme's or meat lover's, or what?

https://i.imgur.com/d0SKBNq.jpeg

Teh One Who Knocks
12-12-2022, 12:44 PM
I switch back and forth from the budget chain pizza places to the "real" places. The independents are usually 16-22 bucks.

Papa Johns typically isn't on my list, not a huge fan. Still haven't had Dominos since they changes the recipe. Typically hit the local Georgios or Little Caesars for cheap food.
Good pizza places are all over my area back home, still looking for something decent here down south.

Usually I go with either Papa John's or Dominos when we get chain pizza. But when I put the order in my cart at Papa John's first, it was almost exactly the same price. Although I think with Papa John's they may have been large pies instead of medium.

lost in melb.
12-12-2022, 12:48 PM
It was $43 (with tax) if I would have gone to pick it up, but tack on the delivery fee ($3) and the driver tip ($7) and it brought it to $53. I looked at Papa Johns first, but their freaking delivery fee is more than $5 now, which is just crazy.

$20 US for 2 medium pizzas here ( and good ones too)

https://i.ibb.co/5xgWbHY/Screenshot-20221212-234625-Chrome.jpg (https://ibb.co/prBvYFW)

DemonGeminiX
12-12-2022, 12:53 PM
https://i.imgur.com/d0SKBNq.jpeg

I just looked at my preferred pizza joint here and they're charging $24.99 per medium for similar pies as yours, which is freakin' crazy. A large 1-topping at my joint would cost close to $18 before tax. I could go get ingredients and make 18-20 pizzas by myself for that much.

I think I'll stick with Little Caesars. :meh:

lost in melb.
12-12-2022, 01:12 PM
I just looked at my preferred pizza joint here and they're charging $24.99 per medium for similar pies as yours, which is freakin' crazy. A large 1-topping at my joint would cost close to $18 before tax. I could go get ingredients and make 18-20 pizzas by myself for that much.

So why are they doing it. Genuine response to inflation, or are they trying their luck?

Or can most people afford this?

Pony
12-12-2022, 01:16 PM
Usually I go with either Papa John's or Dominos when we get chain pizza. But when I put the order in my cart at Papa John's first, it was almost exactly the same price. Although I think with Papa John's they may have been large pies instead of medium.

Budget pizza at premium prices.

DemonGeminiX
12-12-2022, 01:19 PM
So why are they doing it. Genuine response to inflation, or are they trying their luck?

Or can most people afford this?

I don't honestly know. They'd claim inflation, but without seeing the prices of supplies, how could you really tell?

If people weren't buying the pies at those prices, the prices would fall back down or they'd go out of business, so obviously people are paying the prices.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-12-2022, 03:12 PM

See? It's gotten freaking crazy.

PorkChopSandwiches
12-12-2022, 04:49 PM
Yeah our local place is about $50 for 2 pizzas now.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-12-2022, 04:56 PM
It had been well over a year since we last ordered pizza and it might be another year before we do it again.

PorkChopSandwiches
12-12-2022, 05:05 PM
I dont mind making food at home, I'm just not a fan of the shopping :lol:

DemonGeminiX
12-12-2022, 09:45 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5D0CJ2ESuo

lost in melb.
12-13-2022, 12:52 PM
Groceries

PorkChopSandwiches
12-13-2022, 04:24 PM
Blue DEF

lost in melb.
12-14-2022, 05:09 AM
I don't honestly know. They'd claim inflation, but without seeing the prices of supplies, how could you really tell?

If people weren't buying the pies at those prices, the prices would fall back down or they'd go out of business, so obviously people are paying the prices.

Maybe they are holding that price and happy to sell less pies at higher cost.

Agreed though, some people can afford that - or are prepared to pay it.

Godfather
12-17-2022, 08:24 PM
I think we're just getting scammed. Saw a girl post a vid yesterday who was shocked those shitty chocolate advent calendars were $12-14 at the grocery store. She's here from the UK and had her mom bring her a better Cadbury one from there which was 1.5 pounds to buy at home. I'm convinced grocery stores and restaurants are absolutely fleecing us right now, it's 10% inflation used as an excuse for 30-50% price increases. The grocery stores which are listed publicly are posting record profits. Loblaws posted a 30% increase while charging $9 for cauliflower.

lost in melb.
12-18-2022, 01:04 AM
I think we're just getting scammed. Saw a girl post a vid yesterday who was shocked those shitty chocolate advent calendars were $12-14 at the grocery store. She's here from the UK and had her mom bring her a better Cadbury one from there which was 1.5 pounds to buy at home. I'm convinced grocery stores and restaurants are absolutely fleecing us right now, it's 10% inflation used as an excuse for 30-50% price increases. The grocery stores which are listed publicly are posting record profits. Loblaws posted a 30% increase while charging $9 for cauliflower.

Agreed. Also there is a visa-abour shortage in Australia, related to Covid. Could be an issue in Canada as well?

lost in melb.
12-21-2022, 03:53 PM
New mirror for the Ford

https://i.ibb.co/PFrvNqW/IMG-20221222-WA0000.jpg (https://ibb.co/0mnRcH9)

Teh One Who Knocks
12-22-2022, 07:23 PM
Tickets for the 2023 Mile High Grilled Cheese & Mac Festival

https://www.tickettailor.com/events/drinkdenver1/820463?mc_cid=19082802c1&mc_eid=e19a2cc46b#

DemonGeminiX
12-22-2022, 10:51 PM

https://www.tickettailor.com/events/drinkdenver1/820463?mc_cid=19082802c1&mc_eid=e19a2cc46b#

That sounds yummy and fun.

lost in melb.
12-22-2022, 11:57 PM

Are gluten free and vegan options available?

DemonGeminiX
12-23-2022, 12:13 AM
Are gluten free and vegan options available?

I believe the option for those people is: Stay home.

lost in melb.
12-23-2022, 12:18 AM
I believe the option for those people is: Stay home.

But what will your girlfriend eat?

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTe_1lEXC9dyguzn6Ie8KfY1jDFna7RR MoBfw&usqp=CAU

DemonGeminiX
12-23-2022, 12:42 AM
Ugh, as if. I would never date someone who looked like that. I don't do chubby to begin with, let alone douchey.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-23-2022, 01:10 AM
Are you sure that's even a female? :confused:

DemonGeminiX
12-23-2022, 02:04 AM
:lol:

You're right. The gender on this one is quite ambiguous.

lost in melb.
12-23-2022, 09:08 AM
:rofl:

KevinD
01-01-2023, 11:59 PM
A ##^$#$%* new TV. Old one lasted 2yrs, 3 months on a 2yr warranty.

deebakes
01-02-2023, 02:46 AM
shouldn't have used your shoe to change the channel buddy :lol:

Godfather
01-02-2023, 06:29 AM

Yikes, what went wrong with it? That's brutal, I've never had a TV fail on me outright I don't think.

Pony
01-02-2023, 01:18 PM

What brand was it?

KevinD
01-02-2023, 03:00 PM
Samsung. I bought another Samsung. This will be the 3rd in 10 years or so. (55,58&65")
I stayed with LED: q70 something

KevinD
01-02-2023, 09:51 PM
Couldn't stand it. Went back to store and bought new sound bar system. It was time to retire the cheap Polk. Now Samsung HW Q950T

KevinD
01-02-2023, 09:52 PM
Yikes, what went wrong with it? That's brutal, I've never had a TV fail on me outright I don't think.

It developed a line of dead LED last month. Yesterday (sunday) it just quit working. It wasn't a high end. Iirc it was like $400

Godfather
01-03-2023, 01:34 AM
That's a shame but ya, TV's right now are one thing that still seems insanely cheap compared to other electronics. I'm sure it's even more so in the US, but the other day I saw a 75" Samsung TV for $999 :lol: Best Buy selling refurbed 75" for $500 bucks, wild.

KevinD
01-03-2023, 02:39 AM
Yeah, televisions are pretty much in the disposable category now. I still have a 30(ish) crt tv that works. Unfortunately it only has a coax connector for ota. I have it in the garage for the rare occasions when I'm working there and want to watch some sports. Its been in a non climate controlled garage for almost 20yrs.

lost in melb.
01-03-2023, 04:51 PM
https://www.dell.com/en-au/shop/dell-ultrasharp-27-4k-usb-c-hub-monitor-u2723qe/apd/210-bdzq/monitors-monitor-accessories

Should arrive end of week

deebakes
01-03-2023, 05:17 PM
Yeah, televisions are pretty much in the disposable category now. I still have a 30(ish) crt tv that works. Unfortunately it only has a coax connector for ota. I have it in the garage for the rare occasions when I'm working there and want to watch some sports. Its been in a non climate controlled garage for almost 20yrs.

almost everything is being built as disposable now, it is very frustrating trying to even repair things like dishwashers when the specialists say it isn't worth the trouble of repair when a new one is only $100-200 more than the repair

deebakes
01-03-2023, 05:19 PM
although i purchased a replacement evaporator fan for my fridge and did the repair myself over the holidays, i am proud of myself on that one :lol:

DemonGeminiX
01-03-2023, 05:30 PM
I purchased my yearly renewal memberships to: Georgia 2nd Amendment/Georgia Carry Org, Gun Owners of America, and the 2nd Amendment Foundation. I did the Firearms Policy Coalition in December, but I guess time will tell if they'll try to tell me that I need to do it again. I know I should be donating to these groups more often, but really, sometimes I just have more important things to do with my money. Alan with the 2AF can be really brutal with his badgering, but he sues the shit out of every gun control tyrant from here to Timbuktu and I guess he needs as much funding as he can get.

lost in melb.
02-09-2023, 02:17 PM
I made some significant upgrades to my portable audio system.

https://i.ibb.co/pr4ZRnq/IMG-20230210-WA0001.jpg (https://ibb.co/TqPRbry)
https://i.ibb.co/Kb9Jf94/IMG-20230210-WA0000.jpg (https://ibb.co/ZGh0Fh4)

lost in melb.
02-09-2023, 02:20 PM
So I went and had a look at the new Samsung SEE phones today. I've been having a bit of eye strain and I was expecting things to be worse, especially with the ultra because there is more screen. But I found that it was the opposite.

So my favorite was the S23 ultra. The writing was so crisp. I can't believe how much they cost though :no:

I'm seriously considering picking up a second hand iPad to use around the house instead of a phone.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-09-2023, 02:51 PM
So my favorite was the S23 ultra. The writing was so crisp. I can't believe how much they cost though :no:

That's why you have to watch for specials and offers through your carrier when you need/want to upgrade your phone. Not sure how it is in Oz, but here in the states, every carrier will finance your phone interest free for 24 months plus if you time it right, usually when a new model is coming out, they will give you pretty lucrative trade-in offers for your old phone if it's in good shape. You can usually get several hundred bucks from your trade-in depending on the model and age of the phone.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-09-2023, 03:49 PM
https://i.imgur.com/65S09oL.png

New work boots

lost in melb.
02-09-2023, 04:30 PM
That's why you have to watch for specials and offers through your carrier when you need/want to upgrade your phone. Not sure how it is in Oz, but here in the states, every carrier will finance your phone interest free for 24 months plus if you time it right, usually when a new model is coming out, they will give you pretty lucrative trade-in offers for your old phone if it's in good shape. You can usually get several hundred bucks from your trade-in depending on the model and age of the phone.

I'm back in the US in may. Might strike then.

Pony
02-10-2023, 11:58 AM
I'm back in the US in may. Might strike then.

Example, right now ATT has the S23, S23+ free with trade in and 36 month contract. The Ultra is $5.56 a month for 36 months with "eligible" trade in.

lost in melb.
02-10-2023, 01:31 PM
Example, right now ATT has the S23, S23+ free with trade in and 36 month contract. The Ultra is $5.56 a month for 36 months with "eligible" trade in.

Great deal.

I'll have a look...

Teh One Who Knocks
02-10-2023, 01:39 PM
Great deal.

I'll have a look...

Who's your wireless carrier?

lost in melb.
02-14-2023, 11:53 AM
Who's your wireless carrier?

Sorry for the delayed reply. I use mint and it was perfectly fine. At&t is fantastic but it only really works best with post-paid deals.

And there in lies the problem. If I'm in the US for six months max there's no point signing up for a long-term contract.

lost in melb.
02-14-2023, 12:01 PM
I've been hunting around in Australia and actually Samsung has a pretty fantastic deal. If you pre-order the S23 ultra, you get a free upgrade from 256/8 gig to 512/12 ram, plus $300 credit (galaxy watch 5 almost for free. And interest-free payments over 3 years. So I'm basically looking at $35 a month.

Only trouble is it's a brick. I was complaining about not being able to pick them up in the store. you know how they are tethered down. So they gave me dummies of the three options that are the same weight and size. The S23+ is the perfect size for me, but the screen on the Ultra is much much better. The font is just that little bit larger for any kind of newsfeed or anything important - and importantly crisper and cleaner. The text on the other phones looks kind of grey in comparison. In short ultras upgraded AMOLED screen blows anything else away. Any tension in my eyes just evaporates.

I have 2 days to decide.

Edit: dictated but not sighted. Lol.

PorkChopSandwiches
02-14-2023, 06:37 PM
Ice cream for a pot luck

KevinD
02-22-2023, 09:35 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/3xdzBP77/20230222-151623.jpg

A new 12" compound sliding miter saw. Already had the stand from my old one. The old one (kobalt) just wouldn't stay square and plumb. Itd have been fine for framing/construction, but I need something a bit more accurate.
The new Bosch is perfectly plumb out of box, and only 1/32" out of square rear to front slide. It has great reviews and best of all I got it $150 less than msrp. It actually didn't cost me a dime, as I sold 6 48" lights i had left over from a reno job years ago that I sold for $600

lost in melb.
02-23-2023, 03:15 AM
Fantastic. Do you have in mind any projects to 'break her in' with?

Pony
02-23-2023, 11:49 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/3xdzBP77/20230222-151623.jpg

A new 12" compound sliding miter saw. Already had the stand from my old one. The old one (kobalt) just wouldn't stay square and plumb. Itd have been fine for framing/construction, but I need something a bit more accurate.
The new Bosch is perfectly plumb out of box, and only 1/32" out of square rear to front slide. It has great reviews and best of all I got it $150 less than msrp. It actually didn't cost me a dime, as I sold 6 48" lights i had left over from a reno job years ago that I sold for $600

I was dreaming of that saw when I was shopping a few years back, but didn't want to spend that much. I ended up finding a nearly new Dewalt at a pawn shop.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-23-2023, 12:40 PM
All of you and your fancy sissy saws [-(

I use this and saw like a man:

https://i.imgur.com/UHkirzcl.jpg

Pony
02-23-2023, 12:42 PM

:hand:
Real men take care of their tools.

DemonGeminiX
02-23-2023, 01:00 PM
A new wheelchair cushion... again. These should last longer than less than two fucking years, but they're not. It's kinda bullshit for $468. The one I'm currently sitting on is causing problems... and these problems are going to be expensive... i.e. I'm gonna need to see a specialist again. The last time, it took over a year to fix the fucking problems. And it was fucking expensive. Now we have inflation. It's gonna be even fucking worse.

Yay! I'm in hell!

lost in melb.
02-23-2023, 01:16 PM

Is that what you cut the bodies up with? :shock:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-23-2023, 01:40 PM
:hand:
Real men take care of their tools.

That saw is in perfect shape [-(

Is that what you cut the bodies up with? :shock:

Want to come over and find out? :shifty:

KevinD
02-23-2023, 01:43 PM
Fantastic. Do you have in mind any projects to 'break her in' with?

First project is trying to build a bookshelf for youngest daughter. Nothing really fancy, but I plan to build it with no nails. Just glue and pegs. Between this, my router and the table saw I inherited from Dad, I should have everything I need other than a drill press.
The main reason for this purchase is replacing all the moldings in home, as well as lvt flooring in home and studio.

KevinD
02-23-2023, 01:46 PM
I was dreaming of that saw when I was shopping a few years back, but didn't want to spend that much. I ended up finding a nearly new Dewalt at a pawn shop.

I looked at the Dewalt in the same price range. Both were consistently in top 3 on reviews. The Dewalt actually has a couple more features. I'm just not a fan of Dewalt. All the Dewalt stuff I've used professionally has worn out too soon.

Pony
02-23-2023, 02:16 PM
I looked at the Dewalt in the same price range. Both were consistently in top 3 on reviews. The Dewalt actually has a couple more features. I'm just not a fan of Dewalt. All the Dewalt stuff I've used professionally has worn out too soon.

The one I got was at a pawn shop on the shit side of town, looked brand new except for a test cut on the blade that slightly marred the paint. Paid about 50% of new. It was the "lesser" model, the only difference is the higher priced one has the shadow line tech. I found a Dewalt kit for cheap and upgraded it myself.

lost in melb.
02-27-2023, 10:21 AM
First project is trying to build a bookshelf for youngest daughter. Nothing really fancy, but I plan to build it with no nails. Just glue and pegs. Between this, my router and the table saw I inherited from Dad, I should have everything I need other than a drill press.
The main reason for this purchase is replacing all the moldings in home, as well as lvt flooring in home and studio.

Sounds like a nice bevy of jobs. Flooring is hard work I admire you. My father had a whole workshop out the back full of carpentry stuff, but it's guarded by the stepmother at the moment..

PorkChopSandwiches
02-27-2023, 03:59 PM
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/xvy2gi0" data-context="false" ><a href="//imgur.com/a/xvy2gi0"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Teh One Who Knocks
02-28-2023, 12:58 PM
Mr Richie McRicherson [-(

PorkChopSandwiches
02-28-2023, 04:22 PM
With the tax credits and CA rebates its not to bad

lost in melb.
03-02-2023, 05:44 AM
With the tax credits and CA rebates its not to bad

Collaborator!! :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
03-02-2023, 04:15 PM
I dont agree with them, but I'm not going to let my feelings interrupt my financials ;)

Pony
03-03-2023, 12:34 PM
I dont agree with them, but I'm not going to let my feelings interrupt my financials ;)

You need to burn 2 tires a year in your backyard to balance the scales.

lost in melb.
03-03-2023, 01:59 PM
:burn:

lost in melb.
03-03-2023, 02:01 PM

You're just upset because I made fun of your gas guzzler. Please don't take this out on the environment :nono:

Teh One Who Knocks
03-03-2023, 02:11 PM
https://i.imgur.com/h7sQZ29.gif

Pony
03-03-2023, 08:50 PM
Just bought a 2016 Honda Odyssey to replace my '03

KevinD
03-04-2023, 01:53 AM
Bunch of Chemical Guys stuff. Next time I'm home, I'm buying a RDO buffer. Gonna see about paint correction on the truck.

PorkChopSandwiches
03-06-2023, 05:39 PM

All I did was outsource my carbon foot print from CA to the Congo or some shit :lol:

Pony
03-06-2023, 07:03 PM
All I did was outsource my carbon foot print from CA to the Congo or some shit :lol:

Perfect. As long as we don't do our polluting here, it doesn't count toward global pollution.

PorkChopSandwiches
03-06-2023, 07:43 PM
:tup:

Godfather
05-09-2023, 05:49 AM
Bought a Sonos soundbar and mini-subwoofer. I'd just been using the tv speakers which frankly suck and crackled on the low end (started shortly after the warranty expired which was not great). Movies sound great and even watching something like sports is way more immersive with good bass, should've done this years ago. Having a wireless sub that I didn't have to run cables across the room to was a huge perk too. Might have to add rear speakers for full surround now.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-09-2023, 03:57 PM
My biggest complain with sonos was the lack of Bluetooth, I hate there app and having to run your apps through their app. Although spotify does seems to work directly. Not being able to play youtube on my outside speakers sucks.

My understanding is this is or has been added in the latest models.

KevinD
05-09-2023, 09:02 PM
I've had 2 soundbar/ sub combos. A Bose (not a top of line, but it was very blah) and current top line Samsung. The Samsung is pretty decent, but imho lacks the bass I'd expect.
I miss my 7.1 onyko surround system. That thing kicked ass, but the wife hated having speakers everywhere.

Godfather
05-10-2023, 02:35 AM
My biggest complain with sonos was the lack of Bluetooth, I hate there app and having to run your apps through their app. Although spotify does seems to work directly. Not being able to play youtube on my outside speakers sucks.

My understanding is this is or has been added in the latest models.

You know what's funny is my prior speaker I had in the main room was Bluetooth only which is partly why I wanted to upgrade (granted it was an older Bluetooth that didn't connect as well as the new stuff). I love just walking in the door now and saying Hey Alexa, play __ on spotify. I'm going to use that way more than bluetooth now.

But you're right, it does also play through Bluetooth on these most recent versions and it's nice to have both for sure.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-10-2023, 04:32 PM
I've had 2 soundbar/ sub combos. A Bose (not a top of line, but it was very blah) and current top line Samsung. The Samsung is pretty decent, but imho lacks the bass I'd expect.
I miss my 7.1 onyko surround system. That thing kicked ass, but the wife hated having speakers everywhere.

I have 3 of the ROKU soundbars, I like them a lot

Teh One Who Knocks
05-24-2023, 04:34 PM
Getting the house painted and the deck resurfaced. Just paid the down payment. Total cost is gonna be right around $5500.

KevinD
05-24-2023, 06:19 PM
Getting the house painted and the deck resurfaced. Just paid the down payment. Total cost is gonna be right around $5500.

That's not outrageous, depending on size of deck. I recently checked into redoing tops of mine with synthetic wood (treated wood only last 10 years or so here for some reason) it was gonna be right at $2200 for materials and me doing labor. My front deck is 10x32,with 2 ea 48" steps, and a 48" x 20' ramp.

lost in melb.
05-24-2023, 07:04 PM
Love hearing about people doing renovations :thumbsup:

DemonGeminiX
05-24-2023, 07:11 PM

What's the charge for the house painting by itself?

Teh One Who Knocks
05-24-2023, 07:17 PM
What's the charge for the house painting by itself?

https://i.imgur.com/SGR3uEm.png

KevinD
05-24-2023, 07:19 PM
Love hearing about people doing renovations :thumbsup:

I haven't done my deck yet. I've got to replace a fair bit of sub flooring,which means after that I have to pretty much replace all the carpeting and laminate floors too. Saving up for that now, lol I estimate it'll be around 20k

DemonGeminiX
05-24-2023, 07:23 PM
It's only costing you $1k more to paint your house, than the estimates I've received to paint my car. And that's not counting the 10% off. With the 10% off, to paint your house, it's only costing you around $400-$500 more.

DemonGeminiX
05-27-2023, 01:38 PM
Car insurance for 2 cars.

$440 with Progressive.

Fuck you, Geico.

lost in melb.
05-27-2023, 02:30 PM
I haven't done my deck yet. I've got to replace a fair bit of sub flooring,which means after that I have to pretty much replace all the carpeting and laminate floors too. Saving up for that now, lol I estimate it'll be around 20k

It's going to look amazing. I note you appear to be taking advantage of financial perks of new job :)

KevinD
05-28-2023, 01:09 PM
It's going to look amazing. I note you appear to be taking advantage of financial perks of new job :)

I didnt take the job. We couldn't agree on salary. Last conversation with manager went something like this:

Him: That's more than I make!"
Me: Your inability to negotiate a fair salary is not my problem".
��

I honestly didn't want the job due to all the negatives, but I will have to figure something out in a couple years. My years of being in the field are reaching end times.

Pony
05-28-2023, 10:58 PM
:rofl:

lost in melb.
05-28-2023, 11:50 PM
I didnt take the job. We couldn't agree on salary. Last conversation with manager went something like this:

Him: That's more than I make!"
Me: Your inability to negotiate a fair salary is not my problem".
��

I honestly didn't want the job due to all the negatives, but I will have to figure something out in a couple years. My years of being in the field are reaching end times.

My quick thinking reply is this explains the DIY labor (which can be a lot of fun if you have the time).

Glad you held your ground.

Pony
06-05-2023, 10:38 PM
https://i.imgur.com/qw6QlL7.jpg

As the power was flicking on and off Friday I ran across this on sale. the same size as my 2200 watt inverter/generator, same brand, still dual fuel only 3 pounds heavier but it's 4000 watts! Caught it on sale for $566.

My old has two 15A plugs, the new has one 20A and one 30A plug. I'll be able to run my whole place minus the tankless hot water (60 amps) and stove (40 amps). Gonna wire a breaker in to power my panel. Plus I figure with my old one in excellent condition with low hours, I'll wait for the next natural disaster to hit the US (hurricane, flood, tornado, Biden winning term 2, etc) and sell it when the prices are back up. Seen my model go for as much as $700 new.

lost in melb.
06-06-2023, 04:30 AM
Bravo

Teh One Who Knocks
06-06-2023, 11:37 AM
https://i.imgur.com/DciNbv6.png

In the infinite wisdom of whoever originally wired up the house, they put the GFCI outlet in the basement that is on the same circuit as the garage outlet where the freezers are plugged in. So if that outlet trips, it cuts power to the freezers in the garage and you wouldn't even know it. We lost a bunch of food several years ago because of this retarded set-up. Decided to search for a solution when that circuit got tripped last week because of a power surge, but at least we were home and I knew to double check everything. Found this on Amazon. and hooked it up over the weekend. Tested it out and it worked great. And got the first real time test of it yesterday as me and the wife were coming home yesterday afternoon from an errand and we both got the text alert that the power was cut to that circuit. Got home, and yup, the GFCI was tripped so I just reset it and back in business. Absolutely worth the $60 for the peace of mind knowing we can prevent a loss of all that food in the freezers.

lost in melb.
06-07-2023, 05:23 AM
Cool. Can you also just directly replace the unwanted GFCI outlet?

Pony
06-07-2023, 08:33 AM

Eliminating it depends on the circumstances, GFCI are required on any circuit in a wet area or outdoors.

Lance, if it starts tripping frequently it may be getting weak.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-07-2023, 11:35 AM

Eliminating it depends on the circumstances, GFCI are required on any circuit in a wet area or outdoors.

Lance, if it starts tripping frequently it may be getting weak.

Yeah, also on the same circuit is the outlet outside on the front steps, so that whole circuit definitely needs to have the GFCI outlet on it.

It's not tripping terribly frequently, it's just that when it does, it can be catastrophic because of the two freezers on that circuit. And those are the only things normally on that whole circuit.

Pony
06-07-2023, 09:43 PM
Yeah, also on the same circuit is the outlet outside on the front steps, so that whole circuit definitely needs to have the GFCI outlet on it.

It's not tripping terribly frequently, it's just that when it does, it can be catastrophic because of the two freezers on that circuit. And those are the only things normally on that whole circuit.

So, IF you can figure out where the front steps are on the line.....

I'd have to look into it but I'm thinking if the freezers are close to the panel and the outside outlet is AFTER those outlets, you may be able to remove the GFCI from the basement and put a new one in outside on that circuit. So the "wet" area and anything on the line after it will be protected but the (hopefully) first couple outlets in the basement will only be protected by the main breaker. I believe that is still legal to do.

EDIT: So after a little quick reading, the GFCI can go anywhere on the circuit and protect anything downstream from it. Requirements are kitchen countertops, bathrooms, outside and any outlet within 6' of a plumbing fixture.

So potentially you can move it to outside or to an outlet further down in the basement as long as none of the outlets before the new GFCI location fall under one of those rules. Pull the front porch outlet, disconnect the hot side, turn the breaker back on and see if you still have power to the freezers? If so and nothing else in a "wet" area is still on, you should be good.

Alternately, if that area of the basement is unfinished, you could run a new line from the panel dedicated to the freezers since they can be pretty high draw if both compressors kick on at the same time.

lost in melb.
06-08-2023, 03:34 AM
We have a problem here where the dryer and the hot water service can't operate together. It also really spikes the electricity prices by pushing us into the peak rate. So we have a timer.

Teh One Who Knocks
06-08-2023, 03:26 PM
So, IF you can figure out where the front steps are on the line.....

I'd have to look into it but I'm thinking if the freezers are close to the panel and the outside outlet is AFTER those outlets, you may be able to remove the GFCI from the basement and put a new one in outside on that circuit. So the "wet" area and anything on the line after it will be protected but the (hopefully) first couple outlets in the basement will only be protected by the main breaker. I believe that is still legal to do.

EDIT: So after a little quick reading, the GFCI can go anywhere on the circuit and protect anything downstream from it. Requirements are kitchen countertops, bathrooms, outside and any outlet within 6' of a plumbing fixture.

So potentially you can move it to outside or to an outlet further down in the basement as long as none of the outlets before the new GFCI location fall under one of those rules. Pull the front porch outlet, disconnect the hot side, turn the breaker back on and see if you still have power to the freezers? If so and nothing else in a "wet" area is still on, you should be good.

Alternately, if that area of the basement is unfinished, you could run a new line from the panel dedicated to the freezers since they can be pretty high draw if both compressors kick on at the same time.

From what I've seen, any outlet in a garage needs to have a GFCI outlet on the circuit.

KevinD
06-09-2023, 01:06 AM
From what I've seen, any outlet in a garage needs to have a GFCI outlet on the circuit.

Tbh,

I'd try to figure out why the gfci trips. Have you tried replacing the outlet? They're fairly inexpensive for a high quality one. They do go bad over time.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-03-2023, 01:43 PM
Replacement key fob for my truck and new remote for the garage door. I thought that it would be expensive and I would have to go to the dealer to get a new key fob for the truck, but my truck is old enough where I can just buy one online and program it for my truck. $8 on Amazon. :thumbsup:

And the new garage remote is a fob that goes on my key ring too which let's me not have to leave one on my truck. With all the auto break ins in the neighborhood, I always worried about having the garage door opener right there in my truck, so now I don't need to worry about that either. Less than $20 for two of them on Amazon.

Tbh,

I'd try to figure out why the gfci trips. Have you tried replacing the outlet? They're fairly inexpensive for a high quality one. They do go bad over time.

I did replace the outlet and it tripped once not too long after swapping it out, but it's been fine since.