PDA

View Full Version : Sussex teacher reprimanded over 'racist rhyme'

redred
02-26-2011, 10:01 AM
A teacher has been reprimanded for communicating a racist and sexual rhyme while teaching a pupil at a Sussex school.
James Hersey, 68, was found guilty of unacceptable professional conduct by the General Teaching Council.
The hearing heard he was teaching electronics to a Year 11 pupil at Oriel High School in Crawley when the incident happened in March last year.
Mr Hersey said he was a caring teacher who had made a mistake.
The disciplinary hearing was told Mr Hersey was teaching a student a rhyme to help remember the sequence for the colour coding of resistors.
'Human error'
He said: "I said to him I was taught a naughty, saucy rhyme in the sixties and I've never forgotten it, and that's how I learned to remember resistor colour codes."
Mr Hersey said he only wrote down part of the rhyme, a mnemonic, when pushed by the student, but the student guessed the missing words.
The incident came to light when the boy told another teacher.
Mr Hersey said: "I went into teaching after 30 years in engineering because I wanted to do some good for society.
"I am a good professional, I'm caring, and I like to teach children how to do things.
"I do regret it but I immediately apologised to the school and said I'd made a human error."
The GTC accepted he only communicated the words when pressed and was outside the formal classroom environment at the time.
But in its ruling, the panel said: "Notwithstanding that the mnemonic was not communicated in its entirety, to do so was entirely inappropriate and below the standard of conduct expected of a registered teacher."
Mr Hersey will have a reprimand against his record for two years. He has 28 days to appeal the decision.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-12584669

redred
02-26-2011, 10:04 AM
i hate reading stuff like this , when i was working connecting 200pair telephone cables we had lot's of 'naughty' sayings to remember the colour codes ,it's been about 8-9 years since i last work on a cable like this but i still know the order because of little things like this

Max
02-26-2011, 01:22 PM
eventually robots will have to teach our children. It seems these days a teacher can't speak or even make eye contact with one of their students anymore without fear of complaints being filed.

Oofty Goofty
02-26-2011, 02:18 PM
I've worked in electronics my entire adult life. The only resistor color code mnemonic any technician (even female ones) knows is "Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls But Violet Gives Willing, Get Some Now".