PDA

View Full Version : IHOP Shooter Was Convinced Demons Were After Him

Teh One Who Knocks
11-03-2011, 06:45 PM
By SANDRA CHEREB, Associated Press

http://i.imgur.com/TkawP.jpg

CARSON CITY, Nev. -- A man who stormed into a Carson City IHOP restaurant with an assault rifle was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia as a teenager and feared demons were after him in the months before he killed four people before ending his own life, according to newly released police information.

Eduardo Sencion, 32, was diagnosed in 1999 and declared permanently disabled two years later.

The Carson City sheriff's office detailed the deterioration of his mental state and the law enforcement agency's handling of the Sept. 6 chaos following 85 seconds of terror that left five dead - including three National Guard members - seven injured and a community traumatized.

The new information was first reported by the Nevada Appeal. A presentation was given during a meeting Tuesday in Las Vegas of the Nevada Sheriffs and Chiefs Association, and a copy of the PowerPoint presentation was obtained Wednesday by The Associated Press.

Sencion, 32, was born in Mexico and moved to the United States in 1993. He spoke fluent English, graduated from high school, had no criminal history and was a devout Catholic, authorities said.

Investigators said his family first became aware of mental health issues when Sencion complained about being harassed by co-workers. He sought treatment when his employer told the family he was becoming increasing paranoid.

Family members said Sencion took his medication, and all but one of his mental health commitments were voluntary. The report did not say how many times Sencion was hospitalized.

But Sencion told his family he avoided intimate relationships because he feared "he would father a child and pass along his illness."

He immersed himself in the Bible, and gave his mother keys to his gun safe, warning her he was "getting sick."

He thought people were demons trying to hurt him, and began hearing voices telling him to do "bad things" to people.

Sencion's medications were changed this summer. About a month later, he approached a priest in the street and asked him for help, telling the priest, "They're telling me to do bad things."

The night before the shootings, Sencion, who lived with family members, took his medication at 10 p.m. Everything appeared normal the next morning. His last comment to his family - "I should have gone to work today."

Less than an hour later, a witness saw him in front of a beauty supply store near the IHOP restaurant. At 8:57 a.m., he parked his minivan in the IHOP parking lot and took out a Norinco MAK-90 assault rifle. He fired two shots, then a full automatic burst of bullets.

The 911 calls began streaming in to emergency dispatchers.

Sencion walked into the IHOP and fired 30 rounds. Florence Donovan-Gunderson, a 67-year-old resident of South Lake Tahoe, was eating with her husband, Wally that morning. They were the first to be shot. Florence Donovan-Gunderson died instantly, the report said.

Sencion then began shooting at five Nevada National Guard members sitting in a booth. Sgt. 1st Class Miranda McElhiney, 31; Sgt. 1st Class Christian Riege, 38; and Major Heath Kelly, 35, were killed. Their comrades - Sgt. 1st Class Jeremiah Mock, 32, and Sgt. Cait Kelley, 25, were wounded.

Two other diners were shot and wounded.

Sencion then went out to the parking lot, where he shot a woman in the head as she tried to escape on her motorcycle. Her helmet saved her life, investigators said.

He went back to his vehicle, picked up a handgun and shot himself in the head.

In all, he fired 79 rounds. Investigators said he brought two assault rifles, two handguns, 20, 30-round loaded magazines and 595 rounds of ammunition to the scene.

Loser
11-03-2011, 06:49 PM
No mention of how he obtained these firearms when he's legally declared as mentally incompetent?

JoeyB
11-03-2011, 08:46 PM
No mention of how he obtained these firearms when he's legally declared as mentally incompetent?

All sorts of ways around that dude. Here is one:

http://www.closetheloophole.org/

However, we don't know if his guns were legal, if he was licensed, or anything at this point. Just saying. He might have stockpiled black market goods with no gun license to his name.

EDIT: If you want to make background checks more reliable:

http://www.fixgunchecks.org/

Teh One Who Knocks
11-03-2011, 09:12 PM
All sorts of ways around that dude. Here is one:

http://www.closetheloophole.org/

However, we don't know if his guns were legal, if he was licensed, or anything at this point. Just saying. He might have stockpiled black market goods with no gun license to his name.

EDIT: If you want to make background checks more reliable:

http://www.fixgunchecks.org/

Propaganda...there's no such thing as a gun show "loophole". Every licensed dealer at a gun show is required to do a background check, period. The only people exempt from this is private sale people that try to sell their personal firearms, which they don't even need to do at a gun show. They can place an ad in the paper if they want and no background check is require because it's a private sale.

JoeyB
11-03-2011, 10:19 PM
Propaganda...there's no such thing as a gun show "loophole". Every licensed dealer at a gun show is required to do a background check, period. The only people exempt from this is private sale people that try to sell their personal firearms, which they don't even need to do at a gun show. They can place an ad in the paper if they want and no background check is require because it's a private sale.

Which actually is the exact loophole they are discussing:

What is the Gun Show Loophole?
There are two types of gun sales in the U.S. – licensed, regulated sales, and private, unregulated sales.

Responsibilities of Private Sellers: People who say they are hobbyists or collectors and claim to make only occasional sales can sell firearms without a license. Unlike licensed sellers, federal law does not require these private sellers to conduct background checks on buyers or retain sales records.

The Problem: “Gun Show Loophole” refers to the fact that current federal law allows private sellers to sell firearms without conducting background checks or keeping sales records. This loophole gives criminals and gun traffickers an easy source of guns. While private sellers are exempted from running background checks no matter where they make the sale, this loophole is associated with gun shows because they are the largest and most central marketplace where these private sellers can easily connect with purchasers who wish to avoid detection.

DemonGeminiX
11-03-2011, 10:38 PM
I was after him. He owed me $10.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-03-2011, 10:41 PM
Which actually is the exact loophole they are discussing:

What is the Gun Show Loophole?
There are two types of gun sales in the U.S. – licensed, regulated sales, and private, unregulated sales.

Responsibilities of Private Sellers: People who say they are hobbyists or collectors and claim to make only occasional sales can sell firearms without a license. Unlike licensed sellers, federal law does not require these private sellers to conduct background checks on buyers or retain sales records.

The Problem: “Gun Show Loophole” refers to the fact that current federal law allows private sellers to sell firearms without conducting background checks or keeping sales records. This loophole gives criminals and gun traffickers an easy source of guns. While private sellers are exempted from running background checks no matter where they make the sale, this loophole is associated with gun shows because they are the largest and most central marketplace where these private sellers can easily connect with purchasers who wish to avoid detection.

And exactly how many gun shows have you been to? I go to them several times a year and there are almost never anyone conducting private sales because they can't compete with the dealers. And who cares if a private seller goes to a gun show to sell his firearms? In no way anywhere is he (or she) required to perform a background check.

This whole "loophole" nonsense is a red herring by the gun control lobby that try and get the masses to believe that criminals are actually buying guns legally. Yeah, I'm gonna go hold up that liquor store tonight, but I better go make sure I buy my pistol legally :rolleyes:

Teh One Who Knocks
11-03-2011, 10:42 PM
I was after him. He owed me $10.

It says Demons, not Demon :nono:

DemonGeminiX
11-03-2011, 10:44 PM
It says Demons, not Demon :nono:

:hand:

There was a bunch of us he owed money to.

deebakes
11-03-2011, 10:59 PM
seems reasonable :-k

DemonGeminiX
11-03-2011, 11:06 PM
No it's not. I really needed that $10.

:|

JoeyB
11-03-2011, 11:12 PM
And exactly how many gun shows have you been to? I go to them several times a year and there are almost never anyone conducting private sales because they can't compete with the dealers. And who cares if a private seller goes to a gun show to sell his firearms? In no way anywhere is he (or she) required to perform a background check.

This whole "loophole" nonsense is a red herring by the gun control lobby that try and get the masses to believe that criminals are actually buying guns legally. Yeah, I'm gonna go hold up that liquor store tonight, but I better go make sure I buy my pistol legally :rolleyes:

You do know that terrorists have been issuing instructions to live here and stockpile weapons by exploiting our lax gun sale policies, right?

You can call it nonsense and just the gun control lobby making waves, but the insanity of the NRA is arming terrorists.

Look at it this way...if as you say this type of gun sale is so rare, why be upset if they are held instead to the same standards as professional arms dealers? It's just a safety precaution.

Also, my second link is about making sure that the already required background checks are done right...with updated databases. The sort that weed out recent criminals.

Mostly I posted these for Loser, as he expressed concern.