PDA

View Full Version : No ID? No problem. Fake IDs get easy access to downtown Denver bars

Teh One Who Knocks
11-04-2011, 10:53 AM
Investigative Reporter Heidi Hemmat FOX31 Denver

http://i.imgur.com/EDzpH.jpg

DENVER – The legal drinking age in Colorado is 21, but a FOX31 Denver hidden camera investigation discovered it’s amazingly easy for people under 21 to get into Denver bars and clubs.

To test the challenges an underaged teen would face while trying to gain access to those bars and clubs, FOX31 enlisted the help of a teenager we’re calling Jane. We sent her out on the town on a Saturday night in lower downtown Denver.

The result? Jane was able to get into one bar after another using a Colorado driver’s license that did not belong to her.

“I got in,” our teen said. “I was, like, wow!”

The 5’ 11” blonde admits that she looks nothing like the 5’ 6” red head whose picture is on the license. “I don’t look like her at all. I have a long face,” she said.

Yet the underage teen was allowed inside ten different Lodo bars, including the 24K Lounge. That’s the same nightclub where 19-year-old Kenia Monge spent the last hours of her life, reportedly drinking with underage friends before she was murdered by Travis Forbes.

FOX31 Denver obtained a copy of the fake Baja, Mexico ID Kenia used to get into the club, and we could not find a date of birth.

The manager of the nearby Lavish Lounge told FOX31 that his door staff couldn’t find the birth date on Kenia’s ID, either, which is why the Lavish Lounge door staff turned Kenia away the night she was killed. Monge then walked down Market Street to 24K Lounge where she did get inside.

Kenia’s 19-year-old friend, who spoke to us on the condition of anonymity, claims 24K Lounge didn’t check her ID.

“The 24K guys were like come in, come into our club,” she said. “We just walked in…they didn’t ID us. It was packed.”

We requested an interview with the owner of 24K Lounge and three other Lodo bars, Francois Safieddine, but we were referred to his general manager, Johnny Coast.

Coast refused our request for an interview, so we caught up with him on his way into work and asked him, “Do you feel you’re doing enough to keep under-aged people out of your bars?” Coast slammed the door in our faces.

But 24K Lounge isn’t the only bar that failed our test.

Using a fake ID, our underage teen got inside Spill, Oak Tavern, Pour House Pub, Gas Lamp, Chloe, Lavish Lounge, Mynt, 24K Lounge, The Rio Grande and Blake Street Vault.

FOX 31 Denver reached out to the owners and managers of all ten bars, but only one was willing to do an interview.

Kyle Burns, with Blake Street Vault told us, “It’s a very serious thing, and we want to make sure we take care of it.”

Burns said his staff makes every effort to catch fake I.D.’s and they regret one slipped by. “We just have to promote a firm line of defense at the front door and do a better job,” Burns said, adding the doorman on duty the night of our test has been suspended.

Tom Downey, Director of Denver’s department of Excise and Licenses, said bars that allow under-aged people into their establishments could face serious consequences, including losing their liquor license.

“First, we can issue a fine,” Downey said. “We can suspend their license; shut them down for a period of time, or in extreme cases, revoke their license completely.”

Downey said the city would launch its own investigation immediately.

He thanked FOX31 Denver “for making this effort. It helps us do our job better and more effectively.”

A spokesperson for the bars on Market Street tells us they have already started implementing changes by purchasing ID readers which scan IDs and identify which are fake and which are real. He said the ID readers also notify the other bars with ID readers when someone tries to use a fake ID to get into a club.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-04-2011, 10:54 AM
Interesting they used an underaged female to do this test. I guarantee had they used an underaged male he would have been stopped at most if not all those bars.

Pony
11-04-2011, 11:04 AM
Interesting they used an underaged female to do this test. I guarantee had they used an underaged male he would have been stopped at most if not all those bars.

Not necessarily. A friend of mine just got busted for allowing an underage guy in and serving him. The bars policy was anyone that looks under 30 check 'em. The guy they used looked like he was well into his 30's. 6'5 240lbs, full beard etc.....

Teh One Who Knocks
11-04-2011, 11:14 AM
Yeah, but this was in downtown Denver and a lot of those clubs listed are trendy places in the "hip" section of the city (I know that nobody would know that without leaving here) and I am gonna bet the girl they used was fairly attractive if not downright hot. Hot chicks always can get into bars/clubs like that where guys (even of legal age) would have a hard time getting through the door.

That said though, you're right, when the state of Colorado does the underage drinking stings, they use both male and female underage people and an equal number of guys get served as do females. I think this TV station skewed their sting to get the desired results which makes it look like every bar in the LoDo (Lower Downtown) section of Denver allows in underage drinkers.

redred
11-04-2011, 12:17 PM
boobies = drinks

Softdreamer
11-04-2011, 01:22 PM
Moobies = Having to buy drinks for Boobies

Acid Trip
11-04-2011, 01:55 PM
The article is a bit misleading. It wasn't a fake ID, it just wasn't hers. I was a bouncer in college and it was easy as hell to pick out a fake ID.

If it was a real ID, and the age was 21+, you have to really look at the picture and the height/weight. Most bouncers I knew didn't use that much effort. If the age was good they'd just wave them through without bothering to look at other stuff.

Godfather
11-04-2011, 04:03 PM
Only a few years ago we were all doing the same. There were a few bars that you could get into with an ID that you found on the street or didn't ID at all. We also got our ID's scratched a lot... 1988 got turned into 1989 :lol: Or some used sibling's ID's. Just have to sniff out the easy bars from the tough ones.

I'm sure the whole fake ID think is far more rampant in the US though. You start college at 18 here and then you turn legal drinking age the next year. What a royal pain in the ass it would be to have to try and get people to boot for you until you were 21 :huh:

Teh One Who Knocks
11-04-2011, 04:19 PM
Wanna know what really sucks? Vermont was one of the last states to raise the legal drinking age from 18 to 21 after the Feds threatened to pull highway money from any state that didn't raise the age limit. Anyone already over the age of 18 at the time the law was changed was grandfathered in and legally able to drink, but if you missed the cutoff date, you had to wait until you were 21. I missed the cutoff date by 3 months :|

Hal-9000
11-04-2011, 04:19 PM
Girl was 5'11''.....I agree with Lance, she just used a real ID and the door people scan it for age and she's in.

Guys may get a more thorough look at their ID's.

Godfather
11-04-2011, 04:23 PM
Wanna know what really sucks? Vermont was one of the last states to raise the legal drinking age from 18 to 21 after the Feds threatened to pull highway money from any state that didn't raise the age limit. Anyone already over the age of 18 at the time the law was changed was grandfathered in and legally able to drink, but if you missed the cutoff date, you had to wait until you were 21. I missed the cutoff date by 3 months :|

That blows :lol:

Joebob034
11-04-2011, 04:31 PM
my friends and I used to do this shit all the time

Hal-9000
11-04-2011, 05:42 PM
my friends and I used to do this shit all the time

Use ID's with 5'6'' redheaded girl pics?

way to go :thumbsup:

PorkChopSandwiches
11-04-2011, 05:50 PM

At least be far less successful

Joebob034
11-04-2011, 06:36 PM
Use ID's with 5'6'' redheaded girl pics?

way to go :thumbsup:

yeah it got us laid a few times

Hal-9000
11-04-2011, 06:46 PM
yeah it got us laid a few times

owie :lol:

deebakes
11-04-2011, 10:46 PM

i think you've drank enough now to make up for that lost time though :-k