View Full Version : Parolee charged in slaying of Illinois girl, 14; taunted family using her stolen cell phone

Teh One Who Knocks
11-04-2011, 03:44 PM
By Matthew Walberg and Christy Gutowski - The Chicago Tribune

http://i.imgur.com/Fcxep.jpg

A 38-year-old parolee has been charged with fatally stabbing a 14-year-old girl in her Indian Head Park home last week.

John L. Wilson Jr., whose last known address was in the 7900 block of South Lafayette Avenue in Chicago, is scheduled to appear in court this morning around the same time funeral services will be held for Kelli O'Laughlin.

Wilson has been charged with first-degree murder and residential burglary, according to Sally Daly, a spokeswoman for the Cook County state's attorney's office. He is believed to have acted alone and has not made a statement to authorities, Daly said.

But a source said police obtained a DNA sample from a knit cap left behind in the O'Laughlin home and matched it to Wilson. He has three prior convictions, including one for armed robbery.

The O'Laughlin family received cruel text messages from the girl's cellphone after the slaying, sources said. "There were texts that were made to a family member taunting the family about her death," a source close to the investigation said.

It was not known if Wilson sent the messages, but no one else is believed to have been involved in the slaying.

It was also not clear if authorities were able to track Wilson through the cellphone. The phone was among items missing from the home after Kelli apparently walked in on a burglar in the family's home Oct. 27.

A Willow Springs police officer had contact with Wilson in the area on the night of the killing, sources said. The officer had responded to a disturbance not far from Kelli's home, sources said. Wilson told the officer his car was broken down and that he was trying to hail a cab, sources said.

One source said Wilson was able to call a cab, and other sources confirmed that police have impounded a taxi in connection with the case.

The officer had several days off and didn't return to work until Wednesday. It was then that he recognized the man matched a police sketch authorities had made public last week in Kelli's slaying, the sources said.

The sketch was based on the observation of witnesses who saw a man leaving the house, authorities said.

Authorities expressed confidence in the investigation Thursday night. "We feel very confident about the case and the individual in custody," sheriff Tom Dart said.

Indian Head Park Police Chief Frank Alonzo said: "I think we can rest a little bit easier tonight."

Kelli was found stabbed multiple times at her two-story home in a secluded forested neighborhood. Police believe the freshman at Lyons Township High School returned home from school and was attacked by her killer, who broke in through the back, either by a door or window.

A reward of $60,000 has been offered for information leading to an arrest.

A funeral for Kelli will take place at 9:45 a.m. today in St. John of the Cross Church, 5005 Wolf Road, Western Springs.

Her father, John O'Laughlin, said Wednesday that family members have been overwhelmed by the outpouring of support they have received.

Indian Head Park, a bedroom community of roughly 3,800, is near Interstate Highway 55 and the Tri-State Tollway in Cook County.

Godfather
11-04-2011, 03:52 PM
Wow, sweet looking kid. That's really sad. I hope they find this piece of shit and shoot him in the take down.

Can you imagine how the members of his parole board feel right now...

Teh One Who Knocks
11-04-2011, 03:56 PM
It's heinous enough killing someone that young, but then to taunt her family using her cell phone afterwards? There's a special place in hell reserved for fuckers like this.

Godfather
11-04-2011, 03:57 PM
No doubt

MrsM
11-04-2011, 04:43 PM
It's heinous enough killing someone that young, but then to taunt her family using her cell phone afterwards? There's a special place in hell reserved for fuckers like this.

Hopefully someday he feels the fear and pain that he has caused - hell is too good for this POS

RBP
11-04-2011, 05:03 PM
Wow, hadn't read about this one. that's awful. Good thing we got rid of the death penalty, huh?

PorkChopSandwiches
11-04-2011, 05:20 PM

That would be nice

Hal-9000
11-04-2011, 05:39 PM
as Lance mentions, if I was the father I would have a hard time staying within the boundaries of the law after that..

deebakes
11-04-2011, 10:54 PM
what a fucking tragedy :(

DemonGeminiX
11-04-2011, 11:11 PM
Wow, hadn't read about this one. that's awful. Good thing we got rid of the death penalty, huh?

Oh no, you've got to be kidding me. This guy deserves to die for this.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-04-2011, 11:14 PM
Oh no, you've got to be kidding me. This guy deserves to die for this.

I think he was being sarcastic about the no death penalty part

DemonGeminiX
11-04-2011, 11:23 PM
I think he was being sarcastic about the no death penalty part

No he's not. Illinois abolished capital punishment.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-04-2011, 11:25 PM
No he's not. Illinois abolished capital punishment.

:facepalm:

I know that, I meant he was being sarcastic about the "good thing" part :slap:

DemonGeminiX
11-04-2011, 11:29 PM
Shut up. I'm still upset that the dude's not gonna die.

:no:

Teh One Who Knocks
11-04-2011, 11:31 PM
They still have to catch him first :wha:

DemonGeminiX
11-04-2011, 11:37 PM
The first couple statements of the article said he's due to appear in court. That usually means that he's in custody.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-04-2011, 11:40 PM
Damn, must have been a different story I was reading about it, I thought they hadn't caught him yet.

Awesome, he needs to have an 'accident' on the way to court

DemonGeminiX
11-04-2011, 11:43 PM
Personally, I'd lock him in a room without windows and send a few of my toughest friends in there with him.

MrsM
11-04-2011, 11:46 PM
What now? Let me tell you what now. I'ma call a coupla hard, pipe-hittin' niggers, who'll go to work on the homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. You hear me talkin', hillbilly boy? I ain't through with you by a damn sight. I'ma get medieval on your ass

DemonGeminiX
11-04-2011, 11:49 PM
What now? Let me tell you what now. I'ma call a coupla hard, pipe-hittin' niggers, who'll go to work on the homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. You hear me talkin', hillbilly boy? I ain't through with you by a damn sight. I'ma get medieval on your ass

Yeah, kinda like that.

Hal-9000
11-05-2011, 02:20 AM
I may have read without comprehension...I think they still have to prove it was the guy in custody.They said something about being sure tho

DemonGeminiX
11-05-2011, 02:23 AM
I may have read without comprehension...I think they still have to prove it was the guy in custody.They said something about being sure tho

Yes, a man is innocent until proven guilty in the USA. However, it seems this case is gonna be a slam dunk for the prosecutors.

Hal-9000
11-05-2011, 02:24 AM
I wonder if they take the texts into consideration when sentencing.....like extra time for being a prick?

DemonGeminiX
11-05-2011, 02:27 AM
I'm not entirely certain it would be relevant. They have to prove the murder. However, I think that the taunting would become a factor during sentencing.

Hal-9000
11-05-2011, 02:29 AM
That's what I mean...they prove his guilt and then the judge says - and for adding distress and pain to the family, you get the chair pal.Could have been 25 with chance of parole but too bad, so sad for you :x

DemonGeminiX
11-05-2011, 02:31 AM
That's what I mean...they prove his guilt and then the judge says - and for adding distress and pain to the family, you get the chair pal.Could have been 25 with chance of parole but too bad, so sad for you :x

But unfortunately, Illinois recently banned capital punishment, so he can't be put to death.

Hal-9000
11-05-2011, 02:40 AM
But unfortunately, Illinois recently banned capital punishment, so he can't be put to death.

move the damn courthouse 1 mile past the state line ffs :x

Hal-9000
11-05-2011, 02:40 AM
can't they fedex him overnight? :lol:

JoeyB
11-05-2011, 05:02 AM

They did that because they kept executing innocent people.

HAL: Yes, the behavior the of the person committing the crime will affect the sentencing. Judges take all of that into consideration. His taunting of the victims basically guarantees a life sentence if he is found guilty...though killing a young girl like that probably would have done it anyway.

KevinD
11-05-2011, 05:45 AM
Hopefully someday he feels the fear and pain that he has caused - hell is too good for this POS

My daughter is 15 now. I promise if it had been her...her would be, times about 10.
That said, I can't imagine how her family is dealing with this. Illinois doesn't have the death penalty anymore? Ship his ass down here. We got an expressway to the chamber.