PDA

View Full Version : Giant Asteroid Hurtles Closer to Earth Than Moon Next Week

Teh One Who Knocks
11-05-2011, 02:39 PM
By Tariq Malik - Space.com

http://i.imgur.com/Nm2Bk.jpg
In April 2010, this radar image of the near-Earth asteroid 2005 YU55 was taken by the Arecibo radio telescope in
Puerto Rico. On Nov. 8, 2011, this large space rock zips by Earth again and will be surveyed by radar, visual and infrared equipment.

A huge asteroid about the size of an aircraft carrier will zoom past our planet next week, flying between the Earth and the orbit of the moon when it flies by on Tuesday (Nov. 8).

The space rock, called asteroid 2005 YU55, poses no threat to the Earth but will be observed by excited astronomers around the world. It's about 1,300 feet (400 meters) wide, round and blacker than coal, NASA scientists said.

At its closest point, asteroid 2005 YU55 will pass Earth at a range of about 201,700 miles (324,600 kilometers on Tuesday at 6:28 p.m. EST (2328 GMT). The average distance between the moon and Earth is about 238,854 miles (384,399 km).

"This is particularly exiting since it is the first time since 1976 that an object of this size has passed this closely to the Earth," said Scott Fisher, a program director of the NSF's Division of Astronomical Sciences, in an NSF webchat Thursday (Nov. 3) organized by ScienceNow. "It gives us a great (and rare!) chance to study a near-Earth object like this. In fact, we have several telescopes set up and ready to observe this event already."

Those telescopes include the giant Arecibo radio telescope in Puerto Rico and several NASA Deep Space Network instruments, to name a few.

Astronomers plan to use the telescopes to snap radar images of asteroid 2005 YU55 similar to one taken by the Arecibo observatory in April 2010, when the space rock flew within 1.5 million miles (2.4 million km) of Earth. Tuesday's flyby, however, is much closer and should allow astronomers to snap more detailed images of the asteroid. [Photos: Asteroids in Deep Space]

Observatories in Hawaii will also attempt to take spectroscopic measurements of the asteroid to analyze its composition, researchers said.

Like its name suggests, asteroid 2005 YU55 was discovered in 2005 and orbits the sun in an elliptical path that extends from inside the orbit of Venus out to just outside the orbit of Mars, scientists said. The asteroid completes one trip around the sun every 15 months.

One observatory that will not be watching the asteroid is NASA's Hubble Space Telescope, but only because of the asteroid's speed.

"Thousands of amateur and professional astronomers will observe this object near its closest approach to Earth. However, it is moving too fast on the sky for Hubble to observe it," said Don Yeomans, manager of NASA's Near-Earth Object Office at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif.

The asteroid will pose a challenge for amateur astronomers because it will be faint and fast-moving. A small telescope with a mirror no smaller than 6 inches (15 centimeters) is required to try and spot it, NASA officials said.

The asteroid's coordinates for any given time are available at the JPL Solar System Dynamics website, here: http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/.

Yeomans, Fisher and other astronomers have stressed that the public should not be concerned about asteroid 2005 YU55 impacting Earth or causing any kind of gravitational effects on our planet during the flyby. The space rock is much too small to influence life on Earth from its position in space and its chances of actually hitting the planet are nil.

"There is no reason to worry about YU55 getting caught up in the gravity of the Earth," Fisher said. "Through our observations of the object, we know that there is NO chance of it impacting either the Earth or the moon for at least the next 100 years."

MrsM
11-05-2011, 02:56 PM
"There is no reason to worry about YU55 getting caught up in the gravity of the Earth," Fisher said. "Through our observations of the object, we know that there is NO chance of it impacting either the Earth or the moon for at least the next 100 years."

Oh 100 yrs - I feel better :shock:

JoeyB
11-05-2011, 09:14 PM
Oh 100 yrs - I feel better :shock:

How long were you planning on living anyway?

DemonGeminiX
11-05-2011, 09:36 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6d/541440main_2005_YU55_approach.gif

MrsM
11-05-2011, 11:11 PM
How long were you planning on living anyway?

at least another 100 yrs :)

Was more concerned about my grand kids

JoeyB
11-05-2011, 11:17 PM
at least another 100 yrs :)

Was more concerned about my grand kids

They'll be fine. It'll probably hit the moon and then large chunks of moon will destroy the Earth. Oh, by "They'll be fine" I mean "They'll be fucked".

Actually, the thing is they said there is NO chance for AT LEAST 100 years...and then you know the chances will be ridiculously low. And by then we'll have easy technology for the handling of things like this.

It's really not the ones we're tracking that are worrisome, it's the ones we don't know about that are the problem.

MrsM
11-05-2011, 11:22 PM
They'll be fine. It'll probably hit the moon and then large chunks of moon will destroy the Earth. Oh, by "They'll be fine" I mean "They'll be fucked".

Actually, the thing is they said there is NO chance for AT LEAST 100 years...and then you know the chances will be ridiculously low. And by then we'll have easy technology for the handling of things like this.

It's really not the ones we're tracking that are worrisome, it's the ones we don't know about that are the problem.

True enough :tup:

JoeyB
11-05-2011, 11:23 PM
True enough :tup:

It's like a big billiard table up there, let's hope we don't get slammed by an errant eight ball.

DemonGeminiX
11-05-2011, 11:37 PM
We're all doomed!!!

:freakout:

Shady
11-06-2011, 01:37 AM
Itll be interesting to see what kind of technology and condition the world is in when it is a possibility. But just think how long this object has been in its orbit before it was even noticed.

RBP
11-06-2011, 01:47 AM
We're all doomed!!!

:snapout:

Godfather
11-06-2011, 02:31 AM
They've missed some pretty decent sized asteroids until they were days or hours away (if not already passed Earth)... with that in mind, NASA claiming they'll be able to see 90% of near-earth encounters years ahead of time seems overoptimistic.

Scientists seem very confident here too which is great... but for all we really know from past experience with the community and asteroids... This thing could loop into Earth's gravitational 'key hole' and nail us :thumbsup: Even an asteroid 30 meters across could have a burst like a small nuclear detonation.

That said, I won't be losing an ounce of sleep, not worth it:lol:

DemonGeminiX
11-06-2011, 02:40 AM
Looking at the trajectory in the gif I posted, I would think that the asteroid would affect the moon a little. Maybe perturb it's motion a tad via gravity, affecting it's orbit a little. Or maybe the moon would exert a gravitational pull on the asteroid a tad, pulling it slightly out of the straight trajectory pictured. But I haven't read anything where anybody's saying anything about the possibility so I'm assuming it's a nonissue.

MrsM
11-06-2011, 02:42 AM
it's really only a matter of time - I would just perfer that the time frame is in the 1,000,000's of years

DemonGeminiX
11-06-2011, 02:49 AM
Now that I'm thinking of it, I can't see why Earth's gravity wouldn't alter the path of the asteroid slightly. The asteroid is moving within a lunar distance and Earth exerts enough gravity on the moon to keep it captured in orbit (technically the moon is moving away from the Earth a number of cms per year, and the Earth will lose it after a long enough period of time), so since the asteroid is moving closer than a lunar distance, I can see the force of gravity bending the path of the asteroid a tad. Granted, the asteroid is above the eliptical plane, but I would think it's still close enough for Earth's gravitational force to have an effect.

Shady
11-06-2011, 02:56 AM
It looks like it will pass somewhat closer to the moon than the earth but not more than 10-20% closer. That considered and the fact that the moon has a gravitational field of 1/6 of the earth, the asteroids orbit is much more likely to be altered by the earth than the moon.

RBP
11-06-2011, 03:22 AM
So there a big rock headed this way but only astronomy geeks will know it. About right?

DemonGeminiX
11-06-2011, 03:37 AM
So there a big rock headed this way but only astronomy geeks will know it. About right?

The conspiracy theorists and doomsayers know about it too.

:nono:

JoeyB
11-06-2011, 04:28 AM
Itll be interesting to see what kind of technology and condition the world is in when it is a possibility. But just think how long this object has been in its orbit before it was even noticed.

Yes, think about it...possibly as long as fifteen entire years...

We're all doomed!!!

Calm down, only those who have displeased me will suffer.

Oh, yeah, you ARE doomed...carry on...

Godfather
11-06-2011, 04:32 AM
The conspiracy theorists and doomsayers know about it too.

:nono:

I'm generally the opposite of a doomsayer or conspiracy theorist... but it's not hard to see how utterly miserable we've been at seeing asteroids that passed closer than 100,000 km until they've already flown passed :lol:

So I just don't have a lot of faith in our abilities to be accurate. And the Earth does have a gravitational 'sweet spot' that scientists have noted wherein an asteroid passing not to far and not too close, could be pulled far enough off its path to hit Earth.

Godfather
11-06-2011, 04:43 AM
Too be clear... I don't think we're about to get hit, in this case it seems pretty clear we're ok.

But to me it's just like the 7 day weather forecast: It's cute people think they can see what's coming, but don't bet any money on it until you can look out the window and check.

RBP
11-06-2011, 05:56 AM
But to me it's just like the 7 day weather forecast: It's cute people think they can see what's coming, but don't bet any money on it until you can look out the window and check.

And yet you believe the climate change models. :lol:

Godfather
11-06-2011, 06:24 AM
And yet you believe the climate change models. :lol:

[-( It was just a metaphor and I don't think I've commented on that in years. Almost never part of those debates...

Teh One Who Knocks
11-06-2011, 11:08 AM
I'm generally the opposite of a doomsayer or conspiracy theorist... but it's not hard to see how utterly miserable we've been at seeing asteroids that passed closer than 100,000 km until they've already flown passed :lol:

So I just don't have a lot of faith in our abilities to be accurate. And the Earth does have a gravitational 'sweet spot' that scientists have noted wherein an asteroid passing not to far and not too close, could be pulled far enough off its path to hit Earth.

At least NASA and the boys down here are working on it, what are you guys up in Canadaland doing about it? Just being pessimists as usual [-(

Godfather
11-06-2011, 06:30 PM
At least NASA and the boys down here are working on it, what are you guys up in Canadaland doing about it? Just being pessimists as usual [-(

Defending the planet
http://i42.tinypic.com/1zcn60n.jpg

Hal-9000
11-06-2011, 06:37 PM
Carl Sagan had a wonderful show on asteroids.He said it was amazing that we haven't been hit by anything major in the last 4000 years...as in, tilt the world and screw up the weather/landscape crazy :lol:
Remember kids : there is no invisible shield or defense system for large objects entering our atmosphere, it's just dumb luck that a large chunk of something hasn't hit Earth yet.

After watching it, I literally went outside and looked up....

JoeyB
11-06-2011, 08:46 PM
After watching it, I literally went outside and looked up....

Wherein nothing from space was spotted, but a chunk of blue ice from a passing plane struck him square in the face.

Hal-9000
11-06-2011, 08:51 PM
What was the old joke? Calling weatherpeople 'meteorologists' is a farce...The only time a truly accredited meteorologist will appear on TV will be to say - Large mass of rock headed towards Earth, we're all fucked, good night :thumbsup: