PDA

View Full Version : The skeletons who have been holding hands for 1,500 years

JoeyB
11-06-2011, 08:03 PM
I thought this was very cool...until I realized something...I'll tell you what after the article:

http://s7.postimage.org/que0vc223/the_skeletal_remains_of_a_roman_era_couple_revea.j pg (http://www.postimage.org/)

THESE skeletons of a Roman-era couple buried in a final embrace have been unearthed in Italy.

Archaeologists excavating a palace found the remains of the lovers, who have held hands for 1,500 years.

The man and woman were discovered in a joint tomb in a palace in Modena.

Excavation director Donato Labate said: “I have been involved in many digs but I’ve never felt so moved.”

The two skeletons, which are poorly preserved, will be studied to establish the couple's age, their relationship and the possible cause of death.

Kind of reminds me of one of the plotlines from "Timeline"...anyway, this seemed cool until I realized this couple had been holding hands for 1500 years...until some douchebag scientist came along, dug them up, and separated them for study purposes. Labate claims to have been 'moved', but apparently not moved enough to leave them be. One more reason I want to be cremated.

Godfather
11-06-2011, 08:06 PM
Wow, neat. That is pretty moving... guess it must be nice to get an emotional side to being an archeologist.

Wonder if they died together, or one was placed in the tomb after the other.

Griffin
11-06-2011, 08:23 PM
It looks as if he was trying to put her hand on his dick and she is asking if that is all he wants her for.

Hal-9000
11-06-2011, 08:32 PM
I saw the same...both seem to be doing a crotch grab as well.

Michael Jackson ancestors ?

Griffin
11-06-2011, 08:34 PM
I bet you really meant ancestors.

Hal-9000
11-06-2011, 08:36 PM
I have no idea what you're talking about

Griffin
11-06-2011, 08:37 PM
I knew I should have waited another millennium.

Hal-9000
11-06-2011, 08:39 PM
my ninja edits happen in the blink of an eye :)

JoeyB
11-06-2011, 08:59 PM
my ninja edits happen in the blink of an eye :)

That's not all he does in the blink of an eye, according to his ex girlfriends.

Hal-9000
11-06-2011, 09:04 PM
....One more reason I want to be cremated.

Christian and semi-serious sidebar...all others can take a hike.

My mom said to us kids once that she wanted to be cremated.Because she didn't want all of the bugs and animals burrowing into her body after she was buried.

:lol: With apologies to my Mom, if your concern after death is being cognitive of what's going to happen to your corpse, wouldn't burning be just as a bad?

What if.....for some reason your soul or life essence lingers after death? Maybe we can sense an autopsy or cremation from within the body on some metaphysical level?
Perhaps even feel it?

AAAAAAAHHHHHRRRRRRR!!!!! :shock:

Godfather
11-06-2011, 09:31 PM
With apologies to my Mom, if your concern after death is being cognitive of what's going to happen to your corpse, wouldn't burning be just as a bad?

Morbid but apt and quite funny :lol:

I don't want my body burned. I'm not a sentimental or superstitious person. Sadly I can't help but think that when I die it'll just be 'The Big Sleep'.

But the only thing I can control is my dead ass... and I don't want it burned to a crisp. In life, being burned alive is the worst way to go. Why follow dieing up with that?

Although people who want their ashes spread out so they can return to the universe's dust from which they came have a very nice way of looking at things too. Can't argue with that.

JoeyB
11-06-2011, 09:35 PM

My mom said to us kids once that she wanted to be cremated.Because she didn't want all of the bugs and animals burrowing into her body after she was buried.

:lol: With apologies to my Mom, if your concern after death is being cognitive of what's going to happen to your corpse, wouldn't burning be just as a bad?

What if.....for some reason your soul or life essence lingers after death? Maybe we can sense an autopsy or cremation from within the body on some metaphysical level?
Perhaps even feel it?

There are some Christians who do feel that cremation is wrong. I am not one of them. My soul belongs to God, and he will take it when I die. My body is just meaningless flesh at that point, however, I understand your mom's feelings as, guess what, I've said the very same thing.

Obviously, I won't feel it either way...it's just to me there is an indignity to rot, whereas cremation seems more proper. Just get it over with I suppose. I mean...again, to some extent it is completely irrelevant, and by that standard you may as well leave me wherever I die and just block off my corpse with a partition or something. On the other hand, this shell of flesh has been my home for a long time, and I suppose out of nothing more than mock dignity I want to have it disposed off in a way I see as being fit and proper.

I don't think my soul will linger, but if it did, it would be separated from the flesh anyway. Otherwise, imagine the agony of rot. If slow decay for decades or centuries, or a quick burn, were your choices which would you pick?

Of course, the ancient Egyptians would shit bricks over my views. Then again, as recently as the late 1800's modern Egyptians had access to so many mummified corpses that they were actually stacking them like firewood and using them as fuel in trains. And we have the guy above separating lovers after 15 centuries.

To my way of thinking, if there were a lingering presence, some part of my essence still observing my corpse, that to me would be insufferable.

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.

Hal-9000
11-06-2011, 11:26 PM
So I'm asking a leading question here...if it really doesn't matter what happens to our mortal coils after death, why is the thread author upset that some archeologist unpryed the couple's hands?

*glares at Joey*

DemonGeminiX
11-07-2011, 02:25 AM

Perhaps even feel it?

I want to be cremated because I hate the idea of my lifeless body taking up space that can be used for better purposes. Besides, the whole funeral industry is overblown and can go suck a dick.

deebakes
11-07-2011, 02:28 AM
they plan on sucking hal's once he dies since he doesn't care about his body once he's gone :tup:

DemonGeminiX
11-07-2011, 02:31 AM
Rigor mortis... guaranteed woody.

:tup:

JoeyB
11-07-2011, 05:06 AM
So I'm asking a leading question here...if it really doesn't matter what happens to our mortal coils after death, why is the thread author upset that some archeologist unpryed the couple's hands?

*glares at Joey*

Well, to answer your question seriously...because to be buried together and holding hands appears to have been the wish of this couple, and it seems callous to disregard the wishes of the dead. I mean, think of your most closely related but deceased relative, would you want them disinterred and treated as a science project? When is the cut off point between respect for the dead and 'fuck it' scientific curiosity?

And again, because I don't want my corpse treated as a science project, I want to be cremated.

I want to be cremated because I hate the idea of my lifeless body taking up space that can be used for better purposes. Besides, the whole funeral industry is overblown and can go suck a dick.

I'll second that. I couldn't afford to die right now.