PDA

View Full Version : Texas Christian University Calls Graham Cracker Signs Offensive

Teh One Who Knocks
11-07-2011, 11:29 PM
Adapted for Web by Tracy DeLatte | MyFOX Dallas-Ft Worth

FORT WORTH, Texas - A Texas Christian University student government candidate recently was asked to make some changes to his campaign signs after someone pointed out that his nickname had some negative racial connotations.

Graham McMillan is running for Student Government Association’s vice president of external affairs. But his self-given nickname is already teaching him some hard political lessons.

“Hi my name is Graham, like the cracker,” he said.

That’s how McMillan has been introducing himself since high school. It’s even how his friends know him.

“And he was like, ‘I’m Graham, like the cracker, McMillan.’ And he did it so people would remember his name. That’s how I remember him,” said Taylor Slack.

After McMillan put the catchy addition to his name on his campaign posters he got a call from his student advisor.

“That it could be deemed derogatory and had been derogatory. And, I just taped it over,” he said. “TCU provided me with some blue tape so I could cover it up, which was very nice. And, I ran out so I thought why not spice this up a little bit and make it a little more pop. I got some yellow tape in there and found some flames and decided to put that on there too.”

Other students on campus said they understand the word cracker can sometimes have negative racial connotations, but in this case it doesn't seem harmful.

“I thought since his first name was Graham it really wasn’t a problem, you know,” said Emma Altgelt.

Some of the signs no longer have tape on them. McMillan said that’s because some students have told him they’ve taken it upon themselves to remove it.

He said he’ll likely continue using his favorite catch phrase for introductions with friends.

“Hi. I’m Graham, like the cracker. It’s nice to meet you. I think you won’t forget that, right? And that’s why I’ve always used it. When it’s put on a sign and when it’s used on a business card and different things like that, I could see where an individual would talk offense to that,” he said.

Elections are next Tuesday. McMillan is running unopposed.

Hal-9000
11-07-2011, 11:32 PM
ffs...I still associate graham crackers with yummy pie crusts

when does it stop??

Teh One Who Knocks
11-07-2011, 11:34 PM

when does it stop??

It will never stop :|

RBP
11-07-2011, 11:34 PM

when does it stop??

Shut it, cracker!

JoeyB
11-07-2011, 11:36 PM

when does it stop??

The 21st of December, 2012

Hal-9000
11-07-2011, 11:50 PM
Shut it, cracker!

Yabba dabba doo doo is you onmees dowwon tinn? *

*fuck you in Ebonics

Hal-9000
11-07-2011, 11:51 PM
The 21st of December, 2012

Do you think that the Mayans just ran out of hard to acquire calendar rock at one point and just said fuck it?

minz
11-07-2011, 11:56 PM
Do you think that the Mayans just ran out of hard to acquire calendar rock at one point and just said fuck it?

More like one of them had a dry sense of humour :lol:

Hal-9000
11-07-2011, 11:59 PM
More like one of them had a dry sense of humour :lol:

:lol:

Mayan stoneworker - Watch...this will really screw them up 2000 years from now :lol:

Southern Belle
11-08-2011, 02:25 AM
Oh ffs.

Loser
11-08-2011, 02:32 AM
Bernie mac says it best :lol:

Cracka!

Hal-9000
11-08-2011, 02:33 AM
Cracker doesn't bother me at all..in fact I don't really understand the reference.

Honky is the same thing.If one of the brothers wants to call me a cracker, I guess he has his reasons....(maybe my dancing?)

Loser
11-08-2011, 02:48 AM
I'm numb to it all. I've been called so many different swears and slang words that the shit doesn't even bother me anymore.

I've learned that when someone calls me an asshole, and I laugh at them and agree, it pisses them off more :twisted:

Teh One Who Knocks
11-08-2011, 03:10 AM
http://i.imgur.com/O5XqP.jpg

deebakes
11-08-2011, 03:12 AM
i think the real problem is that this is at texas christian university... how can there be such a place? :shock:

Teh One Who Knocks
11-08-2011, 03:14 AM
http://i.imgur.com/KKnrQ.jpg

RBP
11-08-2011, 03:31 AM
http://i.imgur.com/OhHyS.jpg

Oofty Goofty
11-08-2011, 03:39 AM
:facepalm:

FFS! As if people didn't already think Texans were ignorant country hicks.

Joebob034
11-08-2011, 03:27 PM
that's our word, we're allowed to say it