PDA

View Full Version : Shocking and tragic sports deaths.

JoeyB
11-08-2011, 06:55 AM
This is an interesting photo show of tragic sports figures who died too soon.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/gallery/Shocking-and-tragic-sports-deaths#photo-title=Manchester%20United%20plane%20crash&photo=9483166

With a few early exceptions most of these are quite recent, and so by the middle of the sixty listed people it's starts to feel more like a simple chronological list of recent sports deaths and has less of the epic feel of the earlier listings. That said, it's worth looking over. I have a few comments about those listed and two who weren't but should have been.

The Man U plane crash is tragic. I've only been a footie fan a few years now but enjoy the history of the sport and have seen footage of that era and the reactions of fans. The players who were killed were part of the legendary Busby Babes. (English term for youth, not beauty, Matt Busby was their manager, or coach as we call it in the states).

I'm not a baseball fan, but Roberto Clemente was a great guy. A humanitarian who died trying to do something decent. There is a lovely piece of ragtime type music dedicated to him.

Steve Prefontaine means little to me, outside of the two biopics they made about him at the same time in the 1990's.

I didn't even know Florence Griffith-Joyner was dead until I read it here, though the cause of death sounds familiar so clearly I had heard about it at some point. I also forgot about Payne Stewart until I read this, but I do remember the accident clearly.

Marc-Vivien Foe is another soccer player from the time before I watched. This was the first I have heard of him.

Chris Benoit was an asshole who murdered his wife and kid. He doesn't deserve a place on this list. There was also a baseball player who also killed his wife, but I didn't know him or that story.

Daniel Jarque died after I started watching soccer, but, before I was aware of much outside of English or Argentinian footie.

I remember Robert Enke however, and his tragic end. A lot of despair in his life leading to his suicide. Goalkeepers are known as an odd lot, and after his death there were calls not only for better mental health observation of players, but also for the greater integration of goalkeepers among teams.

Christina Taylor Green, not really a sports star and only a child. Didn't really know she was one of those victims, quite tragic.

There are two not on this list who should have been...Walter Payton, of the great Chicago Bears super bowl team, and basketball giant Manute Bol. Bol lead a very interesting and colorful life and it's worth reading about him if you ever have the chance or inclination.

JoeyB
11-08-2011, 09:55 PM
Cough cough. I was actually hoping others might have personal views and insights on this as well.

Hal-9000
11-09-2011, 12:10 AM
Chris Benoit grew up and trained in my part of the world, literally.I went to school with Owen Hart and the Hart family...in fact partied at his house more than once.Chris was trained in the Hart dungeon.

Chris was by accounts, a very thoughtful and considerate guy to everyone around him.Digging deeper he got into the world of steroids, pain killers and illegal drugs.It's strange, because Owen Hart's sister Diana (who I went to school with also) wrote a tell all book that I have and in it she claims Davey Boy Smith (her husband) became violent just like Benoit.She claimed he drugged her orange juice and ass raped her while she slept.

She also made claims about the Dynamite Kid and how he broke his own daughter's leg to gain an insurance payment...very difficult to find this book on the shelves now, I believe she's involved in some litigation.

I guess my point is that most of these guys were 'normal' until they entered the Wrestling Machine and the commonality is that steroids and pain killers turned some of them into monsters.

deebakes
11-09-2011, 04:31 AM
I remember the Reggie Lewis, Malik Sealy, Len Bias and Hank Gathers incidents, i used to be a huge basketball fan.

its a shame when these people with so much money and potential throw it away by making bad choices...

JoeyB
11-09-2011, 05:48 AM
Chris Benoit grew up and trained in my part of the world, literally.I went to school with Owen Hart and the Hart family...in fact partied at his house more than once.Chris was trained in the Hart dungeon.

Chris was by accounts, a very thoughtful and considerate guy to everyone around him.Digging deeper he got into the world of steroids, pain killers and illegal drugs.It's strange, because Owen Hart's sister Diana (who I went to school with also) wrote a tell all book that I have and in it she claims Davey Boy Smith (her husband) became violent just like Benoit.She claimed he drugged her orange juice and ass raped her while she slept.

She also made claims about the Dynamite Kid and how he broke his own daughter's leg to gain an insurance payment...very difficult to find this book on the shelves now, I believe she's involved in some litigation.

I guess my point is that most of these guys were 'normal' until they entered the Wrestling Machine and the commonality is that steroids and pain killers turned some of them into monsters.

I've no doubt whatsoever steroids make people assholes...speaking from a limited amount of experience with roid users. Nonetheless, he murdered his wife and kid and is no victim.

I remember the Reggie Lewis, Malik Sealy, Len Bias and Hank Gathers incidents, i used to be a huge basketball fan.

its a shame when these people with so much money and potential throw it away by making bad choices...

Many of these people died in ways not involving excess though.

deebakes
11-09-2011, 05:50 AM
true, my post was too general... the people who chose poorly was my point...

JoeyB
11-09-2011, 06:16 AM
true, my post was too general... the people who chose poorly was my point...

The basketball player who OD'ed on cocaine right after being drafted is surely the most apt example of your point. Sometimes though, I think this stuff is rife in sports and just assume most players are luckier.

deebakes
11-09-2011, 06:17 AM
that's probably true...

JoeyB
11-09-2011, 06:23 AM
that's probably true...

I like the inspirational guys, like the two I thought SHOULD have been included.

deebakes
11-09-2011, 06:27 AM
manute was a crazy good story...

JoeyB
11-09-2011, 06:30 AM
manute was a crazy good story...

Yeah, sad too, but you have to admire the guy.