PDA

View Full Version : Step-Grandfather Charged with Child Endangerment

Teh One Who Knocks
11-08-2011, 11:56 AM
A 12-year-old boy is recovering after a traumatic night with his step-grandfather.
Reporter: WSAZ News Staff; Andrew Colegrove

SCIOTO COUNTY, Ohio (WSAZ) -- A Saturday afternoon drive took an unexpected turn one 12-year-old boy will never forget.

Patrick Coleman says his grandpa Gordon Lambert Jr. told him they were taking his mom’s Jeep Grand Cherokee out to get a new tire.

However, that swap never happened.

Instead, their pit stop landed the pair at a couple of bars in Ironton.

Patrick knew his grandpa, who’s been his mom’s stepfather since before he was born, had become highly intoxicated, but he forced his grandson back in the jeep.

"He had lots and shots and was really bad," Patrick said.

Patrick recalls the car running into a bush and nearly hitting other cars, leaving him scared for his life.

"He was swerving, hitting caution cones, and I was very, very scared," he said.

To avoid police, Patrick says his grandpa got off the U.S. 52 Wheelersburg exit.

That's when he decided he'd had enough. The 12-year-old says he jumped out of the jeep while it was still going about 15 miles an hour and fell onto the Arby's parking lot.

Shortly after, Ohio State Highway Patrol put Lambert in handcuffs.

"He got taken to jail, and I'm glad,” Patrick said. “He deserved it."

"I hope they do punish him for this,” Patrick’s mother Sierra Hardyman said. “It's my dad, and I love him, and I don't want to see him hurt either, but that's my child. That's the only boy I have."

Hardyman says she also wants an answer as to why the bars allowed her son inside in the first place.

In Ohio, minors are allowed in bars if they're accompanied by their parents. You have to have identification proving the child is yours. Hardyman says that obviously wasn't the case here.

Lambert is expected to appear in Municipal Court Monday. The Ohio Highway Patrol charged him with operating a vehicle whileimpaired, child endangerment and unauthorized use of a motor vehicle

Hardyman says Lambert has been her stepfather since she was 11 years old.

She says Lambert just moved back to the area a few weeks ago and has been staying with her family after Lambert lived in South Carolina for years.