PDA

View Full Version : New generation of card skimmers sold online, hit Colorado

Teh One Who Knocks
11-09-2011, 01:49 PM
Written by Jeremy Jojola - 9 News Colorado

http://i.imgur.com/2l8Cq.jpg

DENVER - A new generation of card skimmers hidden on ATMs and gas pumps are making it easier for thieves to clean out bank accounts, according to a 9Wants to Know investigation.

While card skimmers have been around for awhile, the latest devices use wireless technology to send stolen card numbers to thieves who don't have to return to the scene of the crime to collect data.

In some cases, skimmers have sent stolen numbers using Bluetooth technology and text messages.

"[A thief] can download, call into it, and retrieve data from a distance," Tim Giebels of the Denver Secret Service office said. "Over the last two years, we've probably had five or six cases where we've been able to account for about $250,000 in actual loss."

While local agencies don't keep exact statistics on how many skimmers have been found in Colorado in recent years, it's believed the illegal trade brings in more than $1 billion for thieves on the national level.

Harder to detect

Banking and law enforcement officials report skimmers are most recently turning up more often on gas pumps.

Thieves, using a universal key, can open up the front panels of some common gas pumps models and install card skimmers on the inside of the machine without concealing a device on the exterior.

"They're becoming much harder to detect," Jenifer Waller of the Colorado Bankers Association said. "I'm not even sure if I would be able to identify one on a gas pump."

In other cases, whole false-front panels that incorporate card skimmers have been found on ATMs.

Sold online

9Wants to Know found numerous websites claiming to sell custom-made card skimmers online. While the websites could be scams themselves, some websites incorporate videos showcasing their products and visual instructions on how to use them.

9Wants to Know video-chatted with a seller based in Asia who showed off his product through a live video feed. While the seller wouldn't reveal his face or speak over the feed, he typed out specific instructions on how to install his skimmers.

"It's not wise to plant them anywhere near cameras, and use gloves," the seller wrote.

The seller even sent photos of various ATM models that would work with his custom-made skimmers.

Protect yourself at the ATM

While banks routinely catch suspicious charges and fraud even before a card holder notices, the Colorado Bankers Association recommends you monitor your accounts daily. Report any suspicious transactions on your account immediately. The faster you report fraud, the greater the protection on your account.

*Choose an ATM in a well lighted area that's near surveillance cameras.
*Some ATM machines are owned by private companies or even individual people. Choose a merchant you trust that is federally insured.
*Even before you enter your card, inspect the machine for anything out of the ordinary. Push down on the keypad to make sure the numbers don't stick. Look out for transparent overlays on the machine that may be designed to record your pin.
*Some skimmers incorporate hidden cameras to record your pin. These cameras can be concealed in unassuming brochure boxes attached to the ATM machine.
*Don't be afraid to give a slight tug on the card slot to make sure it's not loose and actually part of the machine.
*Even when you enter your pin number, cover your hand for added measure.
*Some ATM models now include a photo attached to the ATM of what it should look like. Make sure the photo matches up with the appearance of the machine.
*If you notice any tampering with the machine, don't use it and notify the bank or ATM owner.

Protect yourself at the gas pump

Because thieves use card readers installed behind gas pumps, it's often impossible to tell if a machine has been tampered with.

*Some companies now use a safety seal sticker placed over the gap of a panel door or on the key-hole. If you see such sticker has been tampered with don't use the machine and notify the clerk.
*When possible, use credit instead of debit at a gas pump. Credit can offer better protection.
*Use a pump that is in plain view of a security camera and well lighted.
*If you feel uncomfortable pay for gas at a pump, you can always pay inside.

Deepsepia
11-09-2011, 08:41 PM
I've had my credit card hacked, once, but I don't think it was a skimmer. The thieves were very clever, they bought gas with the card, at a station I use -- looking at the statements, I didnt notice anything amiss. Until I was away for a month, and the the charges kept appearing . . .

The whole mag card/pin system is due for an upgrade, nothing very secure about it.

Hal-9000
11-09-2011, 10:02 PM
I don't understand how someone could get the front of a gas pump off and install a device without someone noticing.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-09-2011, 10:04 PM
I don't understand how someone could get the front of a gas pump off and install a device without someone noticing.

You'd be surprised...a lot of the stations are 24 hour and there's one guy inside at night to watch the whole place. And if you have one of those keys like mentioned in the OP and you know what you are doing, it probably takes a lot less time to install than you think.

Hal-9000
11-09-2011, 10:10 PM
You'd be surprised...a lot of the stations are 24 hour and there's one guy inside at night to watch the whole place. And if you have one of those keys like mentioned in the OP and you know what you are doing, it probably takes a lot less time to install than you think.

That's what I was thinking.Most of our kiosks face all pumps and they're open 24 hours.Only the attendant could do it without raising much suspicion..