PDA

View Full Version : Dakota Fanning's "Sexually Provocative" Perfume Ad Banned in Britain

Teh One Who Knocks
11-09-2011, 05:18 PM
by Gina Serpe - E! Online

http://i.imgur.com/KYksg.jpg

Oh, Lola! got a little too Lolita for the U.K.'s liking.

Much like it did to Beyoncé, Christy Turlington, Julia Roberts and Angelina Jolie, Britain's ban-happy media watchdog has set its scrutinizing sights on Marc Jacobs' latest fragrance frontwoman Dakota Fanning, blocking her latest provocative print ad from its shores after declaring it too "sexually provocative" an image.

They made the decision after deciding that the imagery was inappropriate and receiving complaints about the ad. So, how many grievances did it take to get the shot banned?

Just four, if you can believe it.

The print ad—which has been out since June of this year—features the 17-year-old NYU student wearing a short, (little) girly nude-colored dress, provocatively holding a bottle of Jacobs' Oh, Lola! perfume between her upper thighs.

The ad appeared in several magazines and newspaper supplements across the U.K., and yielded just four complaints from offended readers, who said the ad was "irresponsible" and portrayed the actress in "a sexualized manner." Which was apparently enough for the Advertising Standards Authority to take action.

According to the ASA's ruling, the way in which the perfume bottle was positioned, slotted between Fanning's legs, "was sexually provocative" and "drew attention to her sexuality."

The publications which ran the ad argued that their target readership was over 25 years old, a demographic that wouldn't be offended by the ads and to whom the edgy shot would seem acceptable. However, the ASA wasn't biting, and said that Dakota's youthful looks made the ad even more appalling.

"We understood the model was 17 years old, but we considered she looked under the age of 16…Because of that, along with her appearance, we considered the ad could be seen to sexualize a child. We therefore concluded that the ad was irresponsible and was likely to cause serious offense."

As a result, the ASA has ruled that the ad cannot appear again in a U.K. publication.

Coty Inc., which makes the fragrances, argued that the ad was "provoking, but not indecent" and claimed that it didn't show any "private body parts or sexual activity," though obviously that argument fell on deaf ears.

Neither Fanning nor Jacobs has commented on the ban.

Muddy
11-09-2011, 05:20 PM
Isnt she like 10 years old? What kind of freak pervs over this stuff?

Teh One Who Knocks
11-09-2011, 05:23 PM

She's 18 in 3 months :slap:

Muddy
11-09-2011, 05:25 PM
I'll have to run that by Legmann...

MrsM
11-09-2011, 05:26 PM
:facepalm:

Muddy
11-09-2011, 05:27 PM
Wasn't she the little girl in 'the sixth sense' ?

Loser
11-09-2011, 05:27 PM

She's 18 in 3 months :slap:

I nearly shit myself I laughed so hard :lol:

Deepsepia
11-09-2011, 05:35 PM
I think they sank their cause with the caption "0h L0la" . . . "lolita" -- notwithstanding that Nabokov was a great novelist, and that the book isn't explicit, has become shorthand for pedo in many circles (Japan, particularly).

Its a word to avoid . . .

PorkChopSandwiches
11-09-2011, 05:37 PM
Doesnt look overly sexual to me

RBP
11-09-2011, 05:38 PM
I think they sank their cause with the caption "0h L0la" . . . "lolita" -- notwithstanding that Nabokov was a great novelist, and that the book isn't explicit, has become shorthand for pedo in many circles (Japan, particularly).

Its a word to avoid . . .

Oh Lola is the name of the perfume. :|

Teh One Who Knocks
11-09-2011, 05:43 PM

Me either

Oh Lola is the name of the perfume. :|

Her name was Lola, she was a showgirl
With yellow feathers in her hair and a dress cut down to there
She would merengue and do the cha-cha
And while she tried to be a star, Tony always tended bar
Across a crowded floor, they worked from 8 till 4
They were young and they had each other
Who could ask for more?

At the Copa , Copacabana (Copacabana)
The hottest spot north of Havana (here)
At the Copa , Copacabana
Music and passion were always the fashion
At the Copa....they fell in love

:dance2:

Hal-9000
11-09-2011, 05:43 PM

Gotta be attractive to be overly sexual

:oops: was that wrong?

RBP
11-09-2011, 05:47 PM

Maybe it's because she jacking off her perfume cock. :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
11-09-2011, 05:50 PM
Maybe it's because she jacking off her perfume cock. :lol:

*swaps out*

Teh One Who Knocks
11-09-2011, 05:57 PM
From the OP - it says it only took four complaints to get the ad banned. I don't wanna hear the Euros call us Americans the 'sexually repressed' country ever again

RBP
11-09-2011, 06:01 PM
From the OP - it says it only took four complaints to get the ad banned. I don't wanna hear the Euros call us Americans the 'sexually repressed' country ever again

:+1:

Joebob034
11-09-2011, 06:54 PM
Wasn't she the little girl in 'the sixth sense' ?

if you're talking about the ghost girl who puked no that was Mischa Barton. If you're talking about the main kid, no that was Haley Joel Osment and he's a boy.........I think.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-09-2011, 07:03 PM
if you're talking about the ghost girl who puked no that was Mischa Barton. If you're talking about the main kid, no that was Haley Joel Osment and he's a boy.........I think.

Who cares about him....his sister's hot, that's all that matters :shifty:

Muddy
11-09-2011, 07:13 PM
Who cares about him....his sister's hot, that's all that matters :shifty:

Is she 10 also?

Teh One Who Knocks
11-09-2011, 07:17 PM
Is she 10 also?

http://i.imgur.com/3FCV0h.jpg

Yeah, she's 10 :thumbsup:

:rolleyes:

Muddy
11-09-2011, 07:18 PM
I think I have seen her before...

perrhaps
11-09-2011, 08:02 PM

But I reckon you think it's okay if they call us "Manilowian-obsessed".

PorkChopSandwiches
11-09-2011, 08:16 PM
Is she 10 also?

:lol:

Muddy
11-09-2011, 08:18 PM
Yo Gabba Gabba!

DemonGeminiX
11-09-2011, 10:22 PM
Emily Osment is not hot. She looks like her brother... when I say that, I mean she looks exactly like her brother. If her brother had tits, they would be identical twins.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-09-2011, 10:27 PM
Emily Osment is not hot. She looks like her brother... when I say that, I mean she looks exactly like her brother. If her brother had tits, they would be identical twins.

:hand:

Emily is too hot...you're just trying to justify your hidden desire for Haley Joe :nono:

Hal-9000
11-09-2011, 10:28 PM
she looks like a Carrie Underwood crossdresser

DemonGeminiX
11-09-2011, 10:38 PM

Emily is too hot...you're just trying to justify your hidden desire for Haley Joe :nono:

Get your eyes checked. She looks exactly like her brother. They have the same exact face.

Joebob034
11-14-2011, 08:22 PM
haha my friend's Facebook status:

'the allegation that a marc jacobs fragrance ad is "sexualizing a minor" is outrageous because the minor in question is dakota fanning. regardless of age, there is no way to sexualize what is easily the most repugnant human being to have ever lived. dakota fanning is the very definition of ugly and i refuse to believe that she could ever be considered a sexual being by anyone.'

Teh One Who Knocks
11-14-2011, 08:56 PM
haha my friend's Facebook status:

'the allegation that a marc jacobs fragrance ad is "sexualizing a minor" is outrageous because the minor in question is dakota fanning. regardless of age, there is no way to sexualize what is easily the most repugnant human being to have ever lived. dakota fanning is the very definition of ugly and i refuse to believe that she could ever be considered a sexual being by anyone.'

I don't think she's that bad looking :-k

In fact, I think she's getting better looking as she gets older. When she was a little kid and doing movies, man I thought she was gonna be one ugly chick when she grew up.