PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Murphy Quits Job as Academy Awards Host

Teh One Who Knocks
11-09-2011, 07:59 PM
By Zach Johnson - Us Weekly

http://i.imgur.com/J2Eq1.jpg

Next year's Oscar nominations have yet to be announced, but if its behind-the-scenes shakeups are any indication, it's going to be quite the show.

On Wednesday, Eddie Murphy stepped down as host of the 84th Academy Awards, Us Weekly can confirm. The actor's announcement comes one day after Tower Heist director Brett Ratner resigned as producer of the program.

"First and foremost, I want to say that I completely understand and support each party's decision with regard to a change of producers for this year's Academy Awards ceremony," Murphy, 50, tells Us in a statement.

"I was truly looking forward to being a part of the show that our production team and writers were just starting to develop, but I'm sure that the new production team and host will do an equally great job."

Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences President Tom Sherak respected Murphy's decision, telling Us: "I appreciate how Eddie feels about losing his creative partner, Brett Ratner, and we all wish him well."

Ratner, 42, recently came under fire for saying "rehearsal is for fags" while promoting Tower Heist. The controversial director also spoke openly about his sex life with actress Olivia Munn, who he claimed to "bang a few times" on the set of After the Sunset. (She denied sleeping with him to further her career.)

PorkChopSandwiches
11-09-2011, 08:16 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_idrfIMj4k9M/TLiZRrYNf3I/AAAAAAAAAXI/uKjpGvOGSw8/s400/EddieMurphy-Gumby.jpg

deebakes
11-10-2011, 04:34 AM
:rip:

Godfather
11-10-2011, 04:41 AM
People tell me he used to be funny... and then I look at them like they're crazy. It makes them feel old every time :lol:

deebakes
11-10-2011, 04:46 AM
he used to be one of the best :sad2:

Godfather
11-10-2011, 05:04 AM
Who was King of England then?

DemonGeminiX
11-10-2011, 05:10 AM
The controversial director also spoke openly about his sex life with actress Olivia Munn, who he claimed to "bang a few times" on the set of After the Sunset. (She denied sleeping with him to further her career.)

I believe she'd do it. [-(

RBP
11-11-2011, 02:19 PM
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Oscar organizers on Thursday brought back funnyman Billy Crystal to host the film awards after recent days of turmoil that led to the departure of one producer and his handpicked emcee Eddie Murphy.

Crystal, who has hosted the widely-watched Hollywood telecast eight times previously, announced his new job on Twitter with a post: "Am doing the Oscars so the young woman in the pharmacy will stop asking my name when I pick up prescriptions. Looking forward to the show."

Tom Sherak, president of The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences that puts on the Oscars, called Crystal "a comic legend and Oscar icon."

"I'm thrilled to welcome Billy back to the Oscar stage," Sherak said.

The announcement follows days of drama at the academy after producer Brett Ratner last week used the gay slur "fags" at a screening of his movie "Tower Heist," which stars Murphy.

His use of the word raised howls from gay rights groups and academy members. He apologized publicly on Monday, but his contrition failed to stem the firestorm. He resigned one day later. Murphy, who had been lured by Ratner to host the Oscar telecast, followed his boss out the door on Wednesday.

The academy responded by hiring "A Beautiful Mind" producer and Hollywood veteran Brian Grazer to replace Ratner, leaving the choice of a host to him.

"Like so many others, I've been eager to see Billy host again. It's very gratifying that he agreed to do it with (co-producer Don Mischer) and me at the helm."

A FAVORITE RETURNS

Crystal, 63, first hosted the show in 1990 when "Driving Miss Daisy" was named the year's best movie, and the awards program was still easily topping 40 million viewers, making it the second-most watched U.S. TV program annually behind professional football's Super Bowl.

The comedian went on to host three more consecutive years, dropped out for two, then returned in 1997 and 1998 when "Titanic" was voted by academy members as the top movie and 57 million people tuned in. He last hosted the show in 2004.

The comedian has been among Oscar watchers' favorite hosts over the years and it seems like every year when hosts disappoint, as did James Franco last year, there have been calls for Crystal to return.

But even before Crystal posted his tweet -- as speculation mounted that he would return -- some Hollywood watchers were questioning whether he could connect with younger movie fans and TV watchers who, in recent years, have had more entertainment options than ever.

Viewership of the Oscar telecast has fallen below the 40 million mark in five of the past six years, rising above it in 2010 when 3D action-adventure "Avatar" was among the most nominated movies. When "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King won best movie, the audience topped 43 million.

But Sherak does not think Crystal is too old to host. When asked that question by showbusiness website TheWrap, he answered "No. Bob Hope did the Oscars in his sixties."

In fact, Hope was the quintessential Oscar host for 19 ceremonies, and an entertainer who, like Crystal, could not only tell jokes, but could sing and put on a top variety act.

The upcoming Oscars for the movies of 2011 will take place on February 26, 2012.

Muddy
11-11-2011, 03:16 PM
So in other words, Eddie's nothing without a writer...

MrsM
11-11-2011, 03:33 PM
So in other words, Eddie's nothing without a writer...

+1

Teh One Who Knocks
11-11-2011, 03:41 PM
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Oscar organizers on Thursday brought back funnyman Billy Crystal to host the film awards

:bored:

MrsM
11-11-2011, 03:42 PM
I don't watch it - so I really dont care :)

Teh One Who Knocks
11-11-2011, 03:45 PM
God forbid they get someone new or young or actually entertaining :rolleyes:

Hal-9000
11-11-2011, 07:02 PM
Didn't they try James Franco and Anne Hathaway last year? Never watched but I hear they bombed..

Muddy
11-11-2011, 07:38 PM
They should get Mickey Rooney...

Hal-9000
11-11-2011, 07:47 PM
Lucille Ball...she's funny :thumbsup:

Muddy
11-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Jim Brewer

Hal-9000
11-11-2011, 08:40 PM
I can't think of any contemporary young people that are funny.People go on about Adam Sandler, he was funny in one movie...

maybe Snooki?

Muddy
11-11-2011, 08:51 PM
Ugh god dude...

Hal-9000
11-11-2011, 09:02 PM
she's funny looking?

Loser
11-11-2011, 10:21 PM
Wasn't eddie murphy caught several times picking up transvestite prostitutes? :?

Hal-9000
11-11-2011, 10:26 PM
Wasn't eddie murphy caught several times picking up transvestite prostitutes? :?

Once I heard of.Real late at night and he claimed he was just being a good Samaritan

yeah, ok :rofl:

Teh One Who Knocks
11-11-2011, 10:34 PM
Why don't they hire Mel Gibson and then make sure that there is plenty of free booze before the show....the hilarity will surely ensue :)

Muddy
11-11-2011, 10:39 PM
The Jews would have an uprising.

Hal-9000
11-11-2011, 10:40 PM
plus all of his baby mamas would be there and make it uncomfortable

dude's got like 17 kids :lol:

RBP
11-11-2011, 10:43 PM

You say "transvestite prostitutes" likes it's a bad thing. :lol:

Hal-9000
11-11-2011, 10:47 PM
That whole story went away quickly...like whores at Sheen's house when the coke runs out

Midnight_Beacon
11-12-2011, 04:12 PM
I don't watch it - so I really dont care :)

Exactly. (Eddie Murphy USED to be funny. I had to watch some of his old stuff to remember that though.)